AssemblyBoard
April 23, 2024, 12:18:21 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: George repents??  (Read 8354 times)
Gordon

Email
« on: December 28, 2004, 05:42:35 am »

Ok, on my vacation in Texas I had a straight up weird dream.

I dreamt I saw George Geftakys broken and contrite. I also dreamt about a different person from the assemblies every night for a week. I thought it was the strangest thing, but I just have a burden to post this:

Pray for the repentance of George Geftakys. In my dream I saw myself just mad at the man, but I woke up that morning and went for a walk. I have been burden to see wounds healed with  a repentance by George. I also am burden for so many of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

I hope many of you are well, and may God cause a renewal in the lives of you blessed people of God.
vernecarty
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 06:25:36 am »

Ok, on my vacation in Texas I had a straight up weird dream.

I dreamt I saw George Geftakys broken and contrite. I also dreamt about a different person from the assemblies every night for a week. I thought it was the strangest thing, but I just have a burden to post this:

Pray for the repentance of George Geftakys. In my dream I saw myself just mad at the man, but I woke up that morning and went for a walk. I have been burden to see wounds healed with  a repentance by George. I also am burden for so many of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

I hope many of you are well, and may God cause a renewal in the lives of you blessed people of God.
If there was hope for the exceedingly wicked son of Hezekiah, one would think there is hope for George Geftakys. I do not think he will repent. His sin is akin to that of the angels that fell. I think the man saw the glory of God...
Verne
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 08:01:38 am »

If there was hope for the exceedingly wicked son of Hezekiah, one would think there is hope for George Geftakys. I do not think he will repent. His sin is akin to that of the angels that fell. I think the man saw the glory of God...
Verne

Verne,

Your opinion carries a lot of weight hereabouts, and that with good reason.  But, as you state above, it is still just what you "think" and what you "don't think," and not established fact.  

Therefore, I suggest that those inclined to pray for George and Betty be encouraged to do so, for we do not know what our Lord has planned for another, but we are inspired to, in love, hope all things...

al

vernecarty
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 10:59:45 am »

Verne

Verne,

Your opinion carries a lot of weight hereabouts, and that with good reason.  But, as you state above, it is still just what you "think" and what you "don't think," and not established fact.  

Therefore, I suggest that those inclined to pray for George and Betty be encouraged to do so, for we do not know what our Lord has planned for another, but we are inspired to, in love, hope all things...

al

Whoever feels lead to pray for the repentance of George Geftakys should by all means do so Al. I think few men in ministry have had more people pray for them with sincerity of heart and soul over the years.
I know I did.
In my humble opinion, God has spoken.
God wants us to be wise as serpents, and yes, harmless as doves...
Verne

p.s. it is also entirely possible that this man cannot repent.

Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.  Hebrews 12: 16,17

The Word of God, yet powerfully speaks....into the events of space-time...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 11:49:06 am by VerneCarty » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 11:13:00 am »

Verne

Verne,

al

Al,

At the bottom of your posts is some kind of motto.  It says, "ANCORA IMPARO"    

My anchor is stuck?    Wink

Thomas Maddux
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 08:55:49 pm »

I think a good sign that it is very possible for George to repent is that all of this happened in the first place. If the Lord didn't care about George(and of course, everyone else in the Assemblies) he would not have put his chastening hand into all of this.

George may be pompous and proud right now, but as the Lord continues to chasten him perhaps he will repent, who knows? The Lord in one act rescued many people from evil, turned the light on for many who had left but were still in chains, and let his chastening hand fall upon the proud in hopes they would turn and repent.

The Bible says in Ezekiel that God has no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but yearns with desire that they turn from their wicked ways and live. The Lord loves George Geftakys, and as the Great High Priest in heaven, He prays for him to the Father. I always remember in the OT where Ahab, that supremely wicked King, turns for a moment to repent, and the Lord immediately says "See how he repents before me" as though He were waiting for that moment.

I believe the Lord is chastening, and waiting patiently in the hopes that George will repent, I truly do.

--Joe
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 08:57:33 pm by Joe Sperling » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 06:09:37 am »

Al,

At the bottom of your posts is some kind of motto.  It says, "ANCORA IMPARO"    

My anchor is stuck?    Wink

Thomas Maddux

Tom,

Ancora imparo means "I am still learning."  As a quote, it is attributed to Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475-1564).  It is the motto of Monash University, an international school based in Australia.

As for my anchor being "stuck," I prefer to think of it as being firmly planted, rather than fouled...  Heb.6:19

al Hartman,
perpetual student

P.S.:  Joe & Verne,

We can only speculate and theorize, based on our best insights into the situation and scriptural applications as we see them.  Personally, I just don't know about G&B, and my opinions may change with the latest reports.  What I do know without question is that God will judge rightly, and that satisfies me.

Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 06:19:51 am »

Al---

Of course, you're right. We can only speculate about George or Betty. I think my thoughts are based more
in a hope for their repentance, rather than any proof one way or the other regarding it.

God bless, Joe
vernecarty
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 12:47:13 pm »

P.S.:  Joe & Verne,

We can only speculate and theorize, based on our best insights into the situation and scriptural applications as we see them.  Personally, I just don't know about G&B, and my opinions may change with the latest reports.  What I do know without question is that God will judge rightly, and that satisfies me.

While no one is infallible, our Bible does tell us that we know people by their fruit.
I agree we have to be extremely careful, but countless Christians have suffered incalculabe damage as a result of  being timid and gullible insofar as their own assessment of the  fruit (conduct) of people calling themselves believers.
The standard applies personally.
We know we have passed from death to life because we love the brethren.
We are responsible to excercise due diligence and examine our own lives for such fruits of righteousness, as Peter puts it, making our "calling and election sure".
At this point in my observations, I  for one an not convinced that George and Betty Geftakys loved the brethren.
I used to feel a profound revulsion for these two and fevervently hoped that their judgment would be swift and spectacular. As time has gone by, this has turned to profound pity. The delay of God's retribution is in my opinion ominous.
Would I rejoice if they  truly repented?
Absolutely, for it would greatly glorify God.
Will God be greatly glorified if they do not repent?
Absolutely! He would be equally greatly glorified!
Let me be quite frank. If these two were going to repent, they would have done so in my view. They are a classic example of the "hardened heart".
May God be merciful to them.
Verne
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 01:01:37 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 03:51:09 pm »

The point of this thread, if I understand Gordon's post, is a request for prayer for George's repentance.  There is a consensus regarding what the man has done, which bears directly upon any question of what relationship God's people might have toward him today, based upon his past performance and apparent present attitude about it.

Prayer has been asked for toward what George may yet do while it is still day for him.  That he may have gone too far and slammed the door behind him is distinctly possible.  But to pray for his recovery is altogether different than supposing he is worthy to repent.  No one is suggesting that he be received with open arms to Christian fellowship as he now is.

Through the history of the church terrible criminals have repented, received God's grace and found redemption in Jesus Christ.  I would not want to be George Geftakys today, and die in my sleep tonight.  But that is not to say that he could not even now be snatched back from the edge of the pit, for our Lord is rich in mercy and not willing that any should perish.

The church must relate to the enemies of Christ as they are: enemies of Christ.  But that does not preclude our praying for their souls, that the enmity may be undone by the work of Christ.

We probably all understand your concern, Verne, and certainly I am not trying to counter it, nor to convince you otherwise.  I only want that those saints who care to pray for the hopeless and lost causes be encouraged to do so, until they find reason to cease...

God bless,
al

vernecarty
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 04:18:29 pm »

We probably all understand your concern, Verne, and certainly I am not trying to counter it, nor to convince you otherwise.  I only want that those saints who care to pray for the hopeless and lost causes be encouraged to do so, until they find reason to cease...

God bless,
al

I trust the forum will remain a place for free expression. It is hardly my intention to instruct anyone regarding their own decisions as it relates to spiritual matters.
I think we sometimes tend too much toward being religious.
There is a sin unto death.
Verne
Oscar

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 12:13:30 am »

Al,

You said,
Tom,

Ancora imparo means "I am still learning."  As a quote, it is attributed to Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475-1564).  It is the motto of Monash University, an international school based in Australia.

As for my anchor being "stuck," I prefer to think of it as being firmly planted, rather than fouled...  Heb.6:19

al Hartman,
perpetual student

Well, speak for yourself.  

This Christmas I received a T-shirt that says,

"WARNING: RETIREE-Knows Everything And Has Plenty Of Time To Tell You About It!"

That about sums it up.

Thomas Maddux     Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: