AssemblyBoard
April 30, 2024, 08:56:45 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: Contemporary Christian Culture  (Read 66348 times)
Rachel

Email
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2004, 10:29:26 pm »

My father set up a "counseling" session with Dr. Solomon after my mother left with the intention that she would go with him.  However, my mother was not willing to go alone with him to the other side of the country.  I don't know if Dr. Solomon ever knew what was actually going on.  My father never ended up keeping the appointment.
Margaret

Email
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2004, 12:29:38 am »

We contacted Dr. Solomon's office after we left, and received a lengthy reply from one of his associates identifiying some errors in GG's teaching.  I will try to get the letter posted soon on ga.com.
mithrandir
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2004, 12:48:26 am »

Regarding Charles Solomon and the Wheel and Line, I have some interesting stories to tell of how that teaching was "encapsulated" by George and the workers so that it would not be a threat to George's "ministry."  But I will wait until I have more time to post.  Suffice it to say that listening to George and his gang talk about the Christian life left me feeling devastated and condemned for four years before I stumbled onto "Handbook to Happiness."  For me, that book was like a breath of fresh air to a drowning man.  Indeed, many people found it so.  That's why it was such a threat to George, and why he and his cronies embraced it at first, then began subtly to screw it up.  BTW, on a slightly related topic, does anyone remember George's "Fountain of Life" seminar?  Does anyone remember what a fountain of death it turned out to be?

Regarding Jack Hanson and his workshop on Christian music that he taught to workers and others, I also have many stories.  Again, they will have to wait.  Suffice it to say, that when Jack "encouraged" his son to start his own band, and "encouraged" other Placentia kids to join this band, Jack put an entirely different spin on his "workshop" (too bad there's not a "puke" icon, or I'd drop it in here)...

Clarence Thompson
editor
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2004, 01:52:17 am »

Do tell then, what ever happened to Chuck Solomon?  Does he have any idea how the wheel and line diagrams were used to put the final nails in many of our coffins in the assembly?  Does he agree with the main points of GG's ministry?  I'd really like to know

delila
Subj:   Re: George Geftakys
Date:   4/30/01 6:09:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time
To:   Tr0ckmanDC

Hello, Brent:

I have only met George once and have never heard him teach.  However, I am aware that a number of the people associated with him have found victory through the application of the Cross by the Holy Spirit as they have read my books.  It is interesting that you say he sees the Cross applied in a corporate sense which could explain why most do not experience the Cross individually.  I don't know that I have time for dialogue nor am I well enough versed with his teaching; however, things such as your observation about the corporate mentality does make sense.  Blessings.  Chuck Solomon

Subj:   Re: George Geftakys
Date:   5/1/01 3:20:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time
To:   Tr0ckmanDC

Brent, I want you to know that I appreciate your summary of what is going on and the way in which my ministry to George's group may be somewhat misinterpreted.  It sounds to me that you have a balanced view of what is and what is not going on; I will look forward to meeting you sometime.  I have recently met David Geftakys.  God bless you, my brother.  I believe you said you had visited our web site?  It is SolomoNet.org  God bless.  Chuck

I had some correspondence with Dr. Solomon in the early stages of my "investigation."

While there is quite a bit more I could say about Chuck, from our discussion, this letter summarizes the final conclusion.  If anyone is interested, I will post what I wrote to him, although it is mostly along the lines of "Do you know who George Geftakys is? Do you endorse his ministry?  Are you aware that he drops your name as a supporter of his?  Do you know that he twists your teachings?

Dr. Solomon was only vaguely familiar with George, but seemed to know some of his associates better.

Brent
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 01:59:19 am by Brent A. Tr0ckman » Logged
jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2004, 11:39:34 am »

I'd love to see your letter, Brent.
delila

Email
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2004, 02:33:26 am »

Thanks for all that!  Questions answered.  I seem to recall G ironicaly, warning us in ministry once that a little bit of twisted truth was worse than a full blown 100% lie.  No kidding eh.

I went to a Salvation Army service today with two former assembly members.  And of course, fought tears.  

I see the suffering of Christ etc etc and I see myself too, dying a million times, I see others too, dying needlessly, dying daily in a way that was never intended.  We sang "Faith is the Victory" but only knew defeat.  That's what that little bit of twisted truth does.

G's ministry to me, and almost everything I know about the bible, is still so much like a trip through the house of mirrors.  All distorted.  

delila
delila

Email
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2004, 02:56:06 am »

That's the whole deal isn't it?  What do they do with sheep?  Enjoy mutton?  Lamb chops?  Wool?
Lead to the slaughter once, shame on you.  Lead to the slaughter twice, shame on me
drj
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2004, 03:19:07 am »

Hi Delila and All !  Smiley

Your feelings are probably shared, at one time or another, by most who post here.  GG's method of teaching the Bible, where we flipped from verse to verse throughout the entire
Bilble, had the dizzying effect of a merry-go-round inside a house of mirrors!  Huh
  What helped me to find my balance and correct focus in understanding the Bible also helped me with the control of my emotions.  That was to find a fixed reference point in the Bible from which to start all my thinking and feeling.  The fixed point is a simple understanding of God's love for me as revealed in the Gospel.  This tells me that because God so loved me He sent the Son to die for me and that I am eternally secure in that love.  My relationship with Him is on the basis of His gift to me, not on my performance of His will.
   The reason we must first begin with the above firm foundation is that the Bible is filled with individual passages, that when taken alone, seem to give the impression that God expects us to make our own salvation real in our lives via the strength of our wills.  GG took advantage of this apparent contradiction to teach his special brand of holiness, as do numerous other cults and merit theology teachings.
  Then there is GG inspired "God speaking to one's heart" vs to the mind that causes us to react via emotion first and to believe that such intuition is God's voice.  God has spoken the loudest and the clearest in the Gospel and as we hear and believe peace comes to our heart.  This is as true for the long time believer as it is for the newly saved.
  One other hint:  Christian churches that have a lot of emotionalism as part of the service can be difficult for some who are trying to learn to think clearly re. their faith and find themselves easily swept up in the euphoria of the moment.  I don't know how many choices you have in Estevan, but it is okay to visit around until you find a place where you can get some basic instruction and where you are comfortable.
                               God Bless,  Mark C.
M2
« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2004, 08:22:57 pm »

We contacted Dr. Solomon's office after we left, and received a lengthy reply from one of his associates identifiying some errors in GG's teaching.  I will try to get the letter posted soon on ga.com.

I emailed the link http://www.geftakysassembly.com/Articles/TeachingPractice/SolomonColleagueLetter.htm to a few people.  One person replied thus:

Wow! That was an insightful analysis of George's teaching. It clearly shows his error: Galatianism.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 08:50:21 pm by Marcia » Logged
editor
« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2004, 08:48:35 pm »

I emailed the link http://www.geftakysassembly.com/Articles/TeachingPractice/SolomonColleagueLetter.htm to a few people.  One person replied thus:

Wow! That was an insightful analysis of George's teaching. It clearly shows his error: Galatiamism.

Yes, Galatianism.

Of course, they could have learned that a long time ago, if they read the website.

Solomon's teachings themselves are full of error as well.   However, even he saw through the blatant false teaching of Geftakys.  George had the audacity to tell the man that he could speak Greek!

Then, George told us that Solomon came up with a book that "taught what he had been teaching for years....without the corporate vision of The House of God, of course."

Solomon's book is designed to bring happiness and peace through the finished work of the cross.  George's teaching did no such thing, even though we foolishly believed that if we just yielded more, they would!

Perhaps your friend will read something on the website now.  Steve's article on Full Salvation is much better than Solomon's letter.

Brent
M2
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2004, 01:01:26 am »

Thanks for drawing my attention to Steve's article on the website.  I did email the link to my "friend" who has been perusing it since.

What we find so amazing is that it was clear all along that the error of Geftakysism was Galatianism.  Those who were on the outside could see it, but we who were on the inside were wallowing around it, blind in our fog of deception, and walking in 'sincerity' and yet 'sincerely wrong'.  How many times did we say of some devout Catholic that they were sincere but sincerely wrong, but now assembly sympathisers cannot, or rather will not, accept it of themselves?  We were very closed in.  I honestly believed that England is a verrryy 'dark' place, because GG told us so on numerous occasions.  Yet now I have discovered that there are some excellent British preachers eg. Stuart Briscoe, Charles Price, Nicky Gumbel and more.  So many times GG would pronounce seminary, cemetary. And he told us that he had to unlearn what he had learned there.  None of us even considered going to seminary after listening to GG.  Yet now I hear of godly teachers at seminary.

Don't know what this post is doing on CCC, but here it is!

Lrd bless,
Marcia

P.S. The truth-teller article is well-written, and some of my friends, that I emailed the link to, really enjoyed it too.
MM
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 08:36:11 am by Marcia » Logged
delila

Email
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2004, 10:48:20 pm »

the contmporary worship.
I think I know what makes me cry
what's on the screen is the photos of an awesome creation.  evidence.
When I first met the 'saints' I thought that the evidence for God's existance was his people.  
then, seven years in the assembly came to an abrupt end.
And now?  Surprisingly, I can sing the old hymns without a hymn book.  But these new songs, usually scripture set to music with video of creation to look at... that floors me.  And it shouldn't surprize me, really.  But there it is and there it will be again next Sunday: me bawling, looking at the clouds, mountains, water...
But it's okay, to cry now.  Amost cleansing.
Delila
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2004, 09:23:45 am »

From AOL news, FYI:

Evangelicals Aid Marketing of 'Passion'
By EMILY KAISER, Reuters

CHICAGO (Feb. 13) - Arch Bonnema was so moved by Mel Gibson's controversial film "The Passion of The Christ," he bought $42,000 worth of tickets so more people could see it.

"It had a profound impact on my life," said Bonnema, a Southern Baptist who runs a financial services firm near Dallas and saw a preview of the film. He gave away 6,000 "Passion" tickets for opening day on Ash Wednesday, Feb. 25.
"The way the movie industry works is, the more people see a film at the beginning, the longer the film stays around."

A potent mix of religion and money looks set to make "Passion" a box-office smash, despite concerns the film could foment anti-Semitism. Gibson, who spent $25 million of his own fortune to make the film, is relying on evangelical churches to market it, and the strategy appears to be working wonders.

Except for Gibson's star power, the movie is hardly a typical Hollywood blockbuster -- it's a low-budget film with no well-known actors and the dialogue is in Latin and Aramaic.

The film will open on some 2,000 screens -- similar to what a major studio release would receive and almost unheard of for what is, in effect, an independent film.

Instead of the usual barrage of billboards and television advertisements, Gibson invited thousands of religious leaders to watch screenings and spread the word about his film, which looks at the final 12 hours in the life of Jesus Christ.

Critics contend the movie unfairly blames Jews for Jesus's death. Gibson, who belongs to an ultra-conservative sect of the Catholic church, has said he was surprised by the outcry.

The film has touched a nerve in the evangelical Christian community, which boasts millions of members and spending power of billions of dollars. It is a group that can swing presidential elections, turn obscure books into overnight best-sellers and quite possibly make "Passion" a blockbuster.

Hundreds of churches are selling advance tickets, and promoting the film from the pulpit. Theaters from Texas to Montana have already sold out for opening day.

At Arch Bonnema's Prestonwood Baptist Church near Dallas, which has 22,000 members and holds services in a huge building that resembles a sports arena, the pastor preaches on the power of "Passion" and has urged congregants to see the movie -- despite an "R" rating for graphic violence.

The church is distributing half of the tickets Bonnema bought. For those who didn't receive freebies, the church's Web site has details on where to buy them.

"We've never seen anything like this," said Richard King, a spokesman for theater chain AMC Entertainment Inc., noting that even mega-hits such as "Lord of the Rings" and "Harry Potter" did not see this much early demand.

King said the company had tripled its group ticket sales staff to keep up with demand, and it was only accepting requests from groups of 25 or more people. Individual and smaller group tickets will go on sale closer to opening day.

Gibson is not the first movie maker to tap into the church marketing machine. Cloud 10 Productions' movies based on the popular "Left Behind" series of Christian books helped pioneer church-based marketing.

"If you get the Christian community behind your film and supporting it, they're very strong at word-of-mouth and grass-roots (marketing), and bringing friends to the theater," said Melisa Richter who runs Richter Strategic Communications and was formerly Cloud 10's public relations manager.

"Passion" has even scored prime advertising on the hood of a NASCAR race car, just in time for Sunday's Daytona 500, which draws a television audience of about 11 million. Interstate Batteries Chairman Norm Miller said a friend asked him to paint the ad on his company-sponsored race car.

It remains to be seen if demand for tickets will hold up after the vital first weekend. Some experts said the violence may turn off viewers. But if Bonnema's friends are any indication, ticket demand will easily outstrip opening-day supply.

Bonnema e-mailed a handful of friends to see if they knew anyone who wanted some of his 6,000 tickets. "In three days, I had 23,000 requests," he said.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to: