AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 06:48:57 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How I found my new church.  (Read 2445 times)
d3z

Email
« on: January 06, 2004, 10:41:23 am »

I'm sure there are as many different stories as there are people on this BB.  I'll start with mine.

Around March of 2002, I started taking singing lessons.  I found the teacher through an internet search.  Soon, I found out he had just started as the music director of a church nearby.  Because of his schedule, he asked me if we could start having our lessons at the church (Community Bible Church, or CBC).

I remember walking through the church, reading things on the wall.  I just remember thinking, "This is the kind of place I would go, if I wasn't already _in fellowship_."

Forward to 1/19/03.  Right after the reading of the letter, my thought was "where would I go".  I seriously considered the possibility of just starting a "simple gathering" on my own.  Then I thought back to walking through CBC, and what I'd thought.  Right away, I went to their website, and read about their  statement of faith, and whatever I could find.  I fired off an email to the pastor.  I remember using the term "Abusive Church", since I didn't know what else to call it.  His encouragement to me was to be sure to not just keep looking on what had happened, but to also look at how I could be involved at CBC.  And, the best place would be to come on Sunday.

The assembly prayer meeting was replaced with a (rather lively) discussion about all that had happened.  That just made it even more clear to me that I didn't want to be there.  The meetings were gone, but the assembly mentality was not.  The next day or so, I went to each of the two LB's and explained to them that I would not be coming to any more meetings (they hadn't decided to stop meeting).  The discussions went reasonably well.  One was accepting, but I could tell he didn't agree with what I was doing (more that I was going to a normal church, rather than a brethren type church).  The other thanked me for my boldness.  I think he was ready to leave, but wasn't yet comfortable with it.

So, I went.  I first thought that I wouldn't enjoy "worship", since it wasn't "real" worship.  Thankfully, I was very wrong.  It was a wonderful time.

This coming Sunday will be my first Sunday of regularly playing the piano with the worship band.  It's taken quite a bit of practice, since my piano skills got kind of rusty in the assembly, but I think I'm ready.  The Lord has even helped with the pride issue, since one of the other piano player's is extremely good.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 05:10:49 am by David Brown » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: