AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 05:55:14 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Article By Gretchen Ward  (Read 7165 times)
Uh Oh

Email
« on: December 17, 2004, 01:03:01 am »

I would like to commend Gretchen Ward on her well thought out and extremely well written article about the assembly and the major issues that surrounded it.  It was flat out dead on accurate.  

For those who never had the pleasure of meeting Mike, Gretchen and family, I can say that they are some of the nicest and most sincere people that you will ever meet.  I am sure it took a lot of courage to write and post that article.  For that she should be commended.

The thing that sticks out to me most in Gretchens article are :

A) her comments regarding former "leading" brothers who are still making themself available for counsel.
B) leading brothers and people who wish to see the assemblies restarted in their communities
C) former members of the assembly and leading brothers who have gotten involved in positions of leadership in other churches.

Simple rationale would state that if former assembly leaders have absolutley no business doing A,B, or C.   They were trained by wicked and deceitful men in George and Tim Geftakys.  These two men had absolutely no business inflicting their opinions on their own family, much less thousands of people across the United States.  If you factor these thoughts and combine it with the fact that not one lecture George Geftakys ever gave made not one bit of sense.....Need I say more?

How much more clear can it be that the former leading brothers are the ones who need the most guidance and counsel and under no circumstances should they be subjecting anyone to their twisted views?

I still wish that after returning from California in 1993 that I had raised holy heck then about what was so blatantly obviously wrong with the assembly.   All one had to do was take one trip out there and spend about 20 minutes observing the Fullerton Assembly to realize that manipulation, deceit, greed, nepotism, and dishonesty was the foundation the assembly stood on.

From the time I was 2-19, I was subjected to the twisted views, teachings and ways of life of that god forsaken  place known as the assembly. Outside of school, I spent more time there than anywhere else.  I would love to just "get over it", but it just isn't that simple.   The guilt and confusion that I felt while growing up  in the assembly and in after the years after I left that place....There was just no reason for it.  Once I am convinced that the assembly system is dead forever, then maybe I'll get over it.

Bob Franzese
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 01:03:40 am by Uh Oh » Logged
M2
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 02:35:07 am »

I would like to commend Gretchen Ward on her well thought out and extremely well written article about the assembly and the major issues that surrounded it.  It was flat out dead on accurate.  

For those who never had the pleasure of meeting Mike, Gretchen and family, I can say that they are some of the nicest and most sincere people that you will ever meet.  I am sure it took a lot of courage to write and post that article.  For that she should be commended.

The thing that sticks out to me most in Gretchens article are :

A) her comments regarding former "leading" brothers who are still making themself available for counsel.
B) leading brothers and people who wish to see the assemblies restarted in their communities
C) former members of the assembly and leading brothers who have gotten involved in positions of leadership in other churches.

Simple rationale would state that if former assembly leaders have absolutley no business doing A,B, or C.   They were trained by wicked and deceitful men in George and Tim Geftakys.  These two men had absolutely no business inflicting their opinions on their own family, much less thousands of people across the United States.  If you factor these thoughts and combine it with the fact that not one lecture George Geftakys ever gave made not one bit of sense.....Need I say more?

How much more clear can it be that the former leading brothers are the ones who need the most guidance and counsel and under no circumstances should they be subjecting anyone to their twisted views?

I still wish that after returning from California in 1993 that I had raised holy heck then about what was so blatantly obviously wrong with the assembly.   All one had to do was take one trip out there and spend about 20 minutes observing the Fullerton Assembly to realize that manipulation, deceit, greed, nepotism, and dishonesty was the foundation the assembly stood on.

From the time I was 2-19, I was subjected to the twisted views, teachings and ways of life of that god forsaken  place known as the assembly. Outside of school, I spent more time there than anywhere else.  I would love to just "get over it", but it just isn't that simple.   The guilt and confusion that I felt while growing up  in the assembly and in after the years after I left that place....There was just no reason for it.  Once I am convinced that the assembly system is dead forever, then maybe I'll get over it.

Bob Franzese

Hi Bob Franzese,

When someone close to me dies it helps me to "view" the body in order to get closure before burial.  This helps me to say "goodbye" and then to gradually get on with my life.

This "viewing" the body of our past assembly experience is part of the healing and getting-closure process as we gradually get on with our lives.  I read the article in its entirety and yes, I agree with you that it is very well written especially as it ties in our experiences with "Robert Lifton's 8 Criteria for a Cult" and exposes the error of the system.

You said,
I still wish that after returning from California in 1993 that I had raised holy heck then about what was so blatantly obviously wrong with the assembly.  All one had to do was take one trip out there and spend about 20 minutes observing the Fullerton Assembly to realize that manipulation, deceit, greed, nepotism, and dishonesty was the foundation the assembly stood on.

I am curious, you did not observe the same corruption in the Omaha assembly??

I know that, over the years, others from Omaha "raised holy heck" all to no avail, until George's excommunication.  Then, and only then, did Omaha-the-great fall.  If it was not for Omaha, George would not have preached at the last winter seminar.  He was to be disciplined for not dealing with his son's abusive behavior, but Omaha intervened, so George wrote a letter instead.  So your "holy heck", had you raised it, would not have made any difference in Omaha.

Omaha and Hastings ruled Ottawa as well.  The folk around here talked about it, but no one was willing to confront it.  We just mumbled under our breaths and "went the way of the cross" for the sake of "preserving the unity" of "the testimony" of "this ministry".

I am sorry to hear that former leaders are not getting on with their lives, but are still wanting to revive assembly gatherings.  It probably has to do with hurt pride and ego.  You can lead a horse to water, but...

God bless,
Marcia
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 02:37:25 am by Marcia » Logged
editor
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 02:58:51 am »

I am sorry to hear that former leaders are not getting on with their lives, but are still wanting to revive assembly gatherings.  It probably has to do with hurt pride and ego.  You can lead a horse to water, but...

God bless,
Marcia

Pride, arrogance, stupidity and insecurity are why they are still addicted.

Real life isn't as exciting as leading in a "world-wide" ministry.  The thrill of telling people what to do, and knowing they will do it is much more potent than working and getting along co-workers, where everyone is equal.

Brent
vernecarty
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 03:11:16 am »

God bless,
Marcia

Real life isn't as exciting as leading in a "world-wide" ministry.  The thrill of telling people what to do, and knowing they will do it is much more potent than working and getting along co-workers, where everyone is equal.

Brent
We had the painful experience last year of having to leave a church in which we had really invested a tremendous labor of love over many years.
We look back in amazement at the way the Lord has so soverignly ordered our lives over the last several months.
 It is such a delight to see others who also left  are already rolling up their sleeves and joyfully involving themeselves in service and ministry in our new place of fellowship.
We probably would never have left were it not for the crisis that ensued...we had no idea how gracious the Lord wanted to be to us by moving us on. God truly makes all things work together for good folks.
I feel so sorry for these men...they don't recognize the hand of God's mercy...
Verne
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 03:13:19 am by VerneCarty » Logged
Mark Kisla
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 04:49:23 am »

There were people who spoke up and expressed their concerns that things were not right in the Assembly. Even if you raised "holy heck"  about doctrinal issues you would be dismissed as someone who was in darkness. It was not until Georges false holiness was exposed that the rest of the facade came down.
I do believe that even 10 or 25 years ago if someone had come into one of Georges meetings and announced ,'this man is immoral and a practicing adulterer...he is living a lie, I have solid proof'....there would have been a stampede for the exit door, but because George was able to maintain his fake deeper life, super christian image people bought into the lie of the Assembly.

Faith without works is Dead

« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 04:52:17 am by Mark Kisla » Logged
mithrandir
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 07:52:55 am »

What Gretchen has written is just one more confirmation of the settled conclusion I have come to hold concerning most of the leaders and ex-leaders of the assembly, including especially the three Zach brothers, Mike, Dave and Rod.  Indeed, there is a word in English (you can find it near the beginning of most dictionaries) which fits them quite well.  It is applied to things or people "of inferior, false or questionable quality..."

I didn't know that homeschooling was discouraged in any assembly, but then I didn't have any kids, so no one ever pressured me about the matter.  I wonder what stories might be told by Southern California parents.  I do know one parent who said he pulled his kids from Cornerstone after he found out that the principal, a certain Mr. Zach, relied on cliff notes to teach literature.

One last thing about the Zach's: their homegrown band, Remedy, has acquired quite a tour schedule.  In fact, they have made more than a few trips to California, touring some of the Calvary Chapels in the area.  I shouldn't blame the children for the sins of the fathers, but I used to have a Remedy CD in my office at work.  However, after the Assembly collapsed, that CD brought up too many painful and angry memories.  So I took it home from work, and there was this 28 ounce framing hammer in the garage, and I hadn't swung that hammer in a long time...Please pray for me.  

Clarence Thompson

P.S. If you have a hunger for music, you'll be interested to know that Jack Hanson's incredibly gifted son John is coming out with his debut CD soon.  What a gift from the Placentia Assembly!  The world is soon to be a richer place...
vernecarty
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 04:28:42 am »

Well...I just read Gretchen's account.
I am wondering what we are make of folk still participating in and/or defending what Geftakys spawned. How many witnesses will be required...?!
You really have to shake your head and wonder....I am particularly sad to hear those things about Mike Zach. Things were worse than I thought...

She states:

A person was often broken down in the area of their strength and was told they were something they weren't for so long that they eventually believed it.  The following are examples in Omaha: a beautiful talented woman was kept from marrying; an intelligent man who saw through many of the assembly facades was taught that he was "mixed up in his thinking"; a handsome athlete was kept from marrying; an easy-going, fun-loving college student was taught to be Mike's heavy-handed assistant; a sensitive and intelligent boy was taught to be a male chauvinist; a fun loving adventure-seeking girl was taught to be a perfect child; a quiet, reserved professional was taught to be Mike's cruel hit man; a fun loving spontaneous person was taught that life was full of rules and regulations that must be followed meticulously or judgment was certain; an outgoing vivacious girl was taught that she was socially awkward; an intensely devoted and sensitive individual was taught that she was rebellious; a hard working, conscientious husband and father was taught that he should let others serve him and neglect his duties; a loving mother was taught that she had to use excessive discipline to help her children be ready for heaven; a successful entrepreneur was taught that he was an impotent worker...

I really agree with this.  Many of the leading brothers in the assemblies were gifted men of real promise who were absolutely ruined by their involvement...ruined!
What a scathing indcitment...!  May God have mercy...   Sad

Verne
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 05:48:02 am by VerneCarty » Logged
M2
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 08:34:04 pm »

God bless,
Marcia

Brent

Yes.  Insecurity, and add to that stubbornness.

What Gretchen has written is just one more confirmation of the settled conclusion I have come to hold concerning most of the leaders and ex-leaders of the assembly, including especially the three Zach brothers, Mike, Dave and Rod.  Indeed, there is a word in English (you can find it near the beginning of most dictionaries) which fits them quite well.  It is applied to things or people "of inferior, false or questionable quality..."

I didn't know that homeschooling was discouraged in any assembly, but then I didn't have any kids, so no one ever pressured me about the matter.  I wonder what stories might be told by Southern California parents.  I do know one parent who said he pulled his kids from Cornerstone after he found out that the principal, a certain Mr. Zach, relied on cliff notes to teach literature.

One last thing about the Zach's: their homegrown band, Remedy, has acquired quite a tour schedule.  In fact, they have made more than a few trips to California, touring some of the Calvary Chapels in the area.  I shouldn't blame the children for the sins of the fathers, but I used to have a Remedy CD in my office at work.  However, after the Assembly collapsed, that CD brought up too many painful and angry memories.  So I took it home from work, and there was this 28 ounce framing hammer in the garage, and I hadn't swung that hammer in a long time...Please pray for me.  

Clarence Thompson

P.S. If you have a hunger for music, you'll be interested to know that Jack Hanson's incredibly gifted son John is coming out with his debut CD soon.  What a gift from the Placentia Assembly!  The world is soon to be a richer place...

The "superior" race of LBs LBWs and workers. Roll Eyes

Where did they find the time to develop their talent?  Maybe having training homes served a purpose after all.  While the trainees were being trained the LBs had the time to spend with their kids.

Well...I just read Gretchen's account.
I am wondering what we are make of folk still participating in and/or defending what Geftakys spawned. How many witnesses will be required...?!
You really have to shake your head and wonder....
Many of the leading brothers in the assemblies were gifted men of real promise who were absolutely ruined by their involvement...ruined!
What a scathing indcitment...!  May God have mercy...   Sad

Those still participating are too stubborn to admit that they could have been deceived.  I hear of all the occasions when they did not conform, but none of the rest when they did.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Marcia
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 03:00:17 am »

Hi Everyone!

I just read the article by Gretchen Ward on the Reflections site and was totally blown away by the insights that she has provided!

Read it---and read it again and again, if you are working on your recovery from the Assembly.

There are two very important things that I took away from reading her article:

1.) We were damaged by our involvement in the Assembly.

We cannot ignore this point!  True, some were hurt worse than others, but none left unscathed.  We must understand how the Christian faith was twisted and used to affect this damage by GG and company.

A dismissal of the fact that GG developed an abusive system, or that it's toxic influences actually could hurt one's soul, can only lead to great loss.

"Like what Mark?"  Take Gretchen's example of what became of Mark Sjorgren:  He started out as a kind Christian man and was turned into a monster.  

Questions:  When one is transformed into a monster, via "God's instruction", and progressively allows this process of a hardened conscience over decades, how do you think the process can be reversed and recovered from?

Can it be done without understanding how I allowed this to happen in my life?  If I just deny it and "get on with my life" will all be well?

Take the victim of the monster under consideration as well:  Constantly told you are "nothing" and that God's love (and the group's as well) is dependant on your absolute loyalty to the leadership.

The way the above worked was well described by Gretchen.   These who were heaped with guilt, shame, and a constant pressure of trying to please a perfectionist God were being transformed as well into something.  

Gretchen's description of "The Selfer's Prayer" as a kind of mantra to be used to purge the inner life of the evil of self is the kind of tool used by evil religion to destroy the conscience and break down resistance to being controlled.  It can, in it's extreme form, lead to Jonestown styled kool-aid parties. Cry

This "transforming process" worked by convincing the individual that they were personally defective, and then went on to set up a hopeless expectation of "putting to death their self life."  Suicide, depression, etc. are the results of such "teaching."  Liberated joyfull souls full of peace are not the result of these kind of manipulations.

These same victims were told to "submit" to these leaders even though the abused knew the leaders lied, were cruel, sought mastery over them, were full of pride, etc.  Like David with Saul (Gene Edwards) we were suppose to submit to these evil people.

2.) Because we were deeply affected by the Assembly we need to be involved in a recovery process that will reverse the damage.

I already alluded to that above.  This recovery is not just a psychological one, but a spiritual one as well.  There is great hope here that these wounds can find healing and make in us the kind of Christians that can truly be a blessing to others.

Thank you so much Gretchen for telling your story and I know that it will be a great help to many.

God Bless,  Mark C.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: