AssemblyBoard
April 26, 2024, 08:52:29 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Driving into the Sunset, Part 1  (Read 10591 times)
mithrandir
« on: October 09, 2003, 12:10:12 am »

Here's a question: What new hobby or hobbies have you taken up since you escaped the Assemblies?

mithrandir
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 01:31:30 am »

I love to read, read and read!  Books, magazines, the newspaper, whatever.  In fact, I read so much that I rarely turn on the television any longer (except to watch ER on NBC Thursday nights! Wink)  My mom and sis and I take turns reading novels, so we all get to read the same books.  It's quite fun actually. Smiley
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 01:36:03 am »

I join cults as a hobby. But only part-time. I save their literature and see what kinds of food they eat. I have been writing a cook-book for some time now. "The Cult Cookbook" should sell pretty well I think. One of the recipes from the Assembly is called "Heart-Murmur Hash", and was obtained during a time when half the Assembly were suffering from heart murmurs and other maladies. I've got "Moonie Mashed Potatoes" and "Koresh Kabob" also.

Besides the book though I like to collect Sports Cards, go hiking(and go fossil hunting at the same time), go fishing(I've learned how to fly-fish and usually go up near the Kern River in Central California) and watch Detective Programs(Stuff like "Forensic Files" and the like).

I've got some Christian Science Stew on the stove right now which I'll be eating shortly and I'll be washing it down with some Latter Day Latte'.

Take care,  Joe

« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 01:37:29 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
BeckyW

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 06:21:10 am »

Hobbies?  Well, let's see...
I've learned what bulletin boards are, and now check two of them, on an almost daily basis.  
I'm doing some amateur detective work on the side.  As in, find out the rest of the story whenever possible.
Phill is very much into contemporary Christian music once again (gasp- even instruments!), so we his family members are, too.  It's great.  
Thanks for asking.  Smiley
Becky
psalm51

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 09:04:54 am »

I'm planning how I'll decorate our home for Christmas this year! Grin FA,LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA
M2
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 09:12:20 am »

I'm planning how I'll decorate our home for Christmas this year! Grin FA,LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA
Pat,

You'd better read Jer 17 (I think it's Jer 17 Huh) and the Encyclopaedia Britannica before you purchase your decorations. Wink

Marcia
psalm51

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 09:22:23 am »

Pat,

You'd better read Jer 17 (I think it's Jer 17 Huh) and the Encyclopaedia Britannica before you purchase your decorations. Wink

Marcia
Ok, everybody....rev your engines for a discussion about Christmas. Should we:
1. Do like we did in the assembly and say with Scrooge (and Betty and George), "BAH, HUMBUG" while cross-stitching verses from Jeremiah?

2.  Should we rejoice, enjoy family and friends, be thankful,  and have fun without going overboard (if we promise not to worship the Christmas tree, not pray over the presents, not make our husbands dress up like Santa, etc.)

What do you think? Should it be "No Joy to the World" or "Hark the Herald Ex-Assemblyites Sing"?
 fa, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la
« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 09:26:13 am by Pat Mathews » Logged
M2
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2003, 09:27:03 am »

1. Do like we did in the assembly and say with Scrooge (and Betty and George), "BAH, HUMBUG" while cross-stitching verses from Jeremiah?

2.  Should we rejoice, enjoy family and friends, be thankful,  and have fun without going overboard (if we promise not to worship the Christmas tree, not pray over the presents, not make our husbands dress up like Santa, etc.)

What do you think? Should it be "No Joy to the World" or "Hark the Herald Ex-Sssemblyites Sing"?

It's so obvious. I believe that the correct answer is 1.

Marcia
psalm51

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 09:31:07 am »

Marcia,
Your grade for the Holiday exam, Christmas section is a F+.  I did give you a plus instead a minus because you passed your exam in on time. I hope you do better on the Halloween exam. Please study.
Mrs. Mathews
p.s. I hope to see your parents at conferences.  We need to talk about Easter and St. Patrick's Day
M2
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 09:36:14 am »

Marcia,
Your grade for the Holiday exam, Christmas section is a F+.  I did give you a plus instead a minus because you passed your exam in on time. I hope you do better on the Halloween exam. Please study.
Mrs. Mathews
p.s. I hope to see your parents at conferences.  We need to talk about Easter and St. Patrick's Day
Why, thank you Mrs. Mathews.
It's Thanksgiving in Canada this coming Monday (13th). Want to test me on that? I have not bought my turkey yet.

Marcia
vernecarty
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2003, 09:36:31 am »

What do you think? Should it be "No Joy to the World" or "Hark the Herald Ex-Sssemblyites Sing"?

It's so obvious. I believe that the correct answer is 1.

Marcia
Marcia I know you have a sense of humor but don't joke about Xmas. I want the biggest, greenest, pineiest tree I can get my hot little hands on. I also want lights...lots of lights...Xmas carols starting in October, then off to do the shopping! Don't mess with Xmas! Smiley
Verne
p.s. Of course we celebrate it all year! And please remember Franklin Graham's  Operation Christmas Child...it's making an impact for Christ...
p.p.s I draw the line at the lawn reindeer... Grin
« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 09:47:26 am by vernecarty » Logged
psalm51

Email
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2003, 09:41:21 am »

Marcia,
Mrs. Mathews
Why, thank you Mrs. Mathews.
It's Thanksgiving in Canada this coming Monday (13th). Want to test me on that? I have not bought my turkey yet.

Marcia
Marcia,
We do not celebrate the Canadian Thanksgiving on this board. I am sorry, but you are flunking this course so badly, I think you may need to go to summer school (there will be no classes on the 4th of July).  
Mrs. Mathews
p.s. please get your turkey. You will receive extra credit if you send me your best stuffing recipe.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 09:41:59 am by Pat Mathews » Logged
M2
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2003, 09:50:33 am »

Marcia,
We do not celebrate the Canadian Thanksgiving on this board. I am sorry, but you are flunking this course so badly, I think you may need to go to summer school (there will be no classes on the 4th of July).  
Mrs. Mathews
p.s. please get your turkey. You will receive extra credit if you send me your best stuffing recipe.

You made a mistake Mrs. Mathews. It's July 1st in Canada; we have not yet become the 51st State.

For the stuffing recipe, just follow the instructions on the box.

p.s. Of course we celebrate it all year! And please remember Franklin Graham's  Operation Christmas Child...it's making an impact for Christ...

We've being doing the Christmas Child thing for a number of years now in Ottawa. It's a great ministry and we plan to participate again this year.

Lord bless,
over and out
Marcia
« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 05:36:25 pm by Marcia » Logged
M2
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 08:42:23 pm »

Check out Voice of the Martyrs websites for some worthwhile Christmas projects:

http://www.persecution.com/
http://www.persecution.net/ (Operation Christmas Blessing 2003 Sudan)

Samaritan's Purse - Operation Christmas Child is also a great ministry.

Marcia
outdeep

Email
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2003, 03:58:50 am »

Thanks, Marcia.  I think Operation Christmas Child is great too.  Of course, I'm biased since I work for Samaritan's Purse.  We are hoping to collect seven million shoe boxes this year.  

Franklin was invited by the Islamic government in Northern Sudan to do the project there.  Two years ago he was invited, but war broke out.  Last year he was invited and the same day our Samaritan's Purse hospital in Lui was bombed so Franklin basically told them in stern words that they need to stop practicing their "peaceful religion" in such a manner.

This year, he was invited again.  It appears that a Sudanese peace aggrement is near.  Franklin asked for 30 minutes to talk about "peace" (leading up to the Prince of Peace).

Anyway, OCC (as we call it - that's Operation Christmas Child, not Orange Coast College) is a worthwhile project.  A few times when I did it, I got a letter back from those who received the box.

Go on www.samaritanspurse.org and order a video or OCC kit - will tell you more about it.

Also, if you send the box to Boone, NC, be sure to put lots of chocolate in it.  The processors have to take it out of the box so the employees get to eat it.  Yum.

-Dave

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: