AssemblyBoard
April 18, 2024, 04:33:31 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: IRAQ A GOOD IDEA?  (Read 126445 times)
Oscar

Email
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2003, 10:47:00 pm »

Dave, you said,
"Tom I don't appreciate your sarcasm "Reverend" Just to let you know other people whom I disagree with but  respect have appologized to me for your behavior."

Dave,

It seems to me that folks who claim to occupy the moral high ground and make severe moral condemnations of others don't have a whole lot of room to complain when someone calls them "reverend".
Let's see Dave, you get to say that others are liars, decievers and murderers, and that is perfectly ok.  But, if someone points out that you are acting as if you are the supreme moral judge of the universe, that's foul play.

Well Dave, if that's how you see it, that's how you see it.  But you can't cash that check at my bank.

"Tom last friday I found out that  a student of mine just lost her father in Bahgdad.  He was hit by a military vehicle. This news has brought me to tears.  Could you come and explain to her why it was neccessary for her dad to die?"

First of all, let me say that I'll bet that HE believed that it was necessary for him to be there.

Second, what I would say to her is that she should be proud of her dad, and revere his memory.

Our country is involved in a war against terrorists, who have blown up entire school buses full of kids like her. They are trying to terrorize their parents with the ulitimate goal of getting them to place political pressure on their governments to cooperate with the terrorist's desire for domination of entire countries.  Corrupt tyrants like Iran's ayatola's, Saddam Hussein, Yassar Arafat, the Saud family, and many others have encouraged and funded this horror.  He died in the campaign to stop these monsters and to keep it from happening to her.  

Dave, what's your answer???  Would you dare to tell her that we are nothing but the product of hydrogen atoms with no explainable origins being operated upon by random chance, so that her father's death is utterly meaningless and doesn't matter?  If you had the intellectual integrity to follow the logic of what you have claimed to be true on this BB, that is what you would have to tell her.

But Dave, I'm sure you wouldn't say that to her.  Because something in your heart tells you that your head is full of baloney.

"Where does the great pain and injustice I feel come from?"

"It is in the fact that I am human.  That all of humanity is part of my family?"

So....folks who disagree with you aren't human?Huh?  

Now, if all of humanity is part of your family, where are your tears for the (at least) tens of thousands of Iraqi's that Saddam Hussein oppressed, tortured and murdered?   Where are your feelings of "great pain and injustice" for them?   Seems to me that you are being a little selective here.

Did you ever think what it must have been like for a young girl turned over the horrors of Uday's thugs.  Gang rape by brutal thugs, sexual torture for their video collection???

What about the parents of those girls Dave?  Knowing that their child was being treated  like that and also knowing that to speak a word of protest would certainly result in her death and probably theirs as well.

"Who or what put this awarness inside of me?  I don't know!"

Well, Dave, let me recommend a good book on the subject.  It is called the Bible.  It says that it came from being created in the image of God, but that it has become corrupted through sin.  We are a fallen race Dave, living in a world of fallen men. Good still exists in our world Dave, though we are rarely if ever completely free of evil's presence even in our efforts to do right.

Look at WWII.  Was everything we did perfect?  Of course not.  Did we need to do everything in our power to prevent the entire world from falling under the dominion of a previous generation of monsters and tyrants?  You bet your sweet patootie we did.

This is another round in an old fight.  Your student's dad intended to see it through, and you dishonor his death by your claim that it was meaningless at best, or that he died in the service of evil.

"But the fact that it is there is enough to uphold what I believe to be right.  I find that the Bible says many many different things that can be used to justify our governments actions or condem it. The Bible therefore becomes a matter of debate."

What about what is "there" in other people's hearts?

Also, what about when you thought GG was right?  Was the "fact that it, (that idea) is there enough" to uphold what you believed?

"But let me ask you "Who would Jesus kill?"

Brent has already answered you.

Dave, you keep claiming that we can't know anything for sure about God.  
Yet, you keep on preaching and judging.  And on what basis....your feelings.  Others feelings don't seem to matter, just yours.  

"And ye shall be as God, knowing good and evil".

Thomas Maddux
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 07:37:03 am by Tom Maddux » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2003, 10:51:20 pm »

Sorry folks, I thought I had figured out the quoting business, but I obviously don't have it yet.

Tom
vernecarty
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2003, 01:16:33 am »

Sorry folks, I thought I had figured out the quoting business, but I obviously don't have it yet.

Tom
Hang in there Tom. You are definitely getting closer. Just go back and edit out the extra "quote" ([quote ]) commands and you will be home free my friend.
Verne
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 01:18:57 am by vernecarty » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2003, 07:39:29 am »

Tom
Hang in there Tom. You are definitely getting closer. Just go back and edit out the extra "quote" ([quote ]) commands and you will be home free my friend.

Verne

The problem is that I can't seem to figure out which ones are the extra ones.

Tom
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 07:41:46 am by Tom Maddux » Logged
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2003, 08:41:45 am »

This is an example of quotes inside of quotes:

[
][/color][/b]
[
][/color][/b]
[
][/color][/b]

Tom
[
][/color][/b]

Verne
[
][/color][/b]

Tom
[
][/color][/b]

This older BB software doesn't show inner quotes in boxes the way the other BB does.

One way to improve the appearance is to add horizontal rules using the [
] tag.  Another idea is what Brent used in one of his posts.  He changed the color to indicate who was talking using the [] and [] tags around parts of the text.

Here is the above quote with [
] tags added:

[
][/color][/b]
[
][
][/color][/b]
[
][
][/color][/b]

Tom
[
][
][/color][/b]

Verne
[
][
][/color][/b]

Tom
[
][/color][/b]

The result with the added [
] tags:

Tom

Verne

Tom
vernecarty
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2003, 04:23:51 pm »

Tom

Verne

Tom

You obviously did. The above is perfect.
Verne
p.s. you might try clicking "modify" on your above post and noting how the quote command appear...
Verne
David Mauldin
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2003, 06:21:01 am »

Tom in reply, The father of the  young girl of whom I mentioned
was not a serviceman. He was an Arab citizen who was in Bahgdad
as part of his job. I realy don't know what he thought about his
reasons for being there but I know hers.  She is devistated. She feels his death was pointless.
She suspects that the people in the military vehicle that ran into him were negligent.

Tom again I don't appreciate your sarcasm. Somehow you think it is justified because
I call others liars, deceivers and  murderers?  Tom I show respect to everyone on this B.B.
you included.  
I expect  a person who is supose to be my elder would show the maturity to agree to disagree
without letting his emotions get involved. Again Tom I never defended the behavior of tyrants.  
Rather I exercise my constitutional right and speek out against them.  Look at my original post.
Whatt I have always stated (along with many of our own political leaders is that this invasion
did not meet the criteria set forth by our own standards. We invaded a country based on lies!  
Now that George cannot get the oil out of Iraq he is now asking for 87 billion in hopes he can clean up
this terrible mistake.  Tom you seem to be stuck in the idea that an evolutionist (Of which I am not) cannot have a moral base
Why? Because morality must have a predisposed origin before it can be defined as moral?  Nonsense!
Just as life developes into more and more complex patterns so can morality spring out of itself.

Yes I can hear you laugh but did I develope this theory?  Get and education, These ideas have been around
for many years again read Telliard Charden!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 06:26:35 am by David Mauldin » Logged
David Mauldin
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2003, 07:24:34 pm »

In a past life a  native American approached me, "Excuse me sir but the government you belong to is guilty of murdering my people and steeling their property"  "Now just a minute" was my reply, "Let me ask you some questions about your beleifs"  The Native replied. "I believe that the world was created by Great Spirit and Coyote!"  "Just what I expected"  "Your beleifs are wrong!"  "They have no basis for a true defenition of what is right and wrong"  "Therefore you have no grounds to judge me!"  "In fact I wouldn't be surprised if my God would bring down his wrath upon you and your people."  
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 07:28:02 pm by David Mauldin » Logged
M2
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2003, 08:28:46 pm »

In a past life a  native American approached me, "Excuse me sir but the government you belong to is guilty of murdering my people and steeling their property"  "Now just a minute" was my reply, "Let me ask you some questions about your beleifs"  The Native replied. "I believe that the world was created by Great Spirit and Coyote!"  "Just what I expected"  "Your beleifs are wrong!"  "They have no basis for a true defenition of what is right and wrong"  "Therefore you have no grounds to judge me!"  "In fact I wouldn't be surprised if my God would bring down his wrath upon you and your people."  
In Canada the native people have many privileges that the rest of us do not have. I do believe that the governments of both countries have attempted to give the native people as much freedom as it is possible for them to have.

Marcia
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2003, 09:10:28 pm »

In a past life a native American approached me: "Excuse me sir but the government you belong to is guilty of murdering my people and stealing their property". he said angrily.   "Sorry to interrupt you" I said, " but what is that you have on that string around your neck?"
"Oh", he replied, "It is the scalp of a cavalry soldier".  "Oh, I see" I stated, "And what is that over your shoulder?"  "Oh this?" he said, "It is a bag full of clothing and jewelry from a prarie cabin we raided yesterday".  "Oh, OK" I said, "now what was that you were saying about murdering and stealing?"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 10:46:12 pm by Joe Sperling » Logged
editor
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2003, 02:06:06 am »

In this fallen world there are only a few actual laws that pertain to this life exclusively.

One of them is  Might Makes Right.
Another is,  To The Victor Go The Spoils.

Plenty of people,  Sierra Clubbers, Peace Awareness Types squawk and moan about this, point fingers and stutter phrases like,  "You mean that if you're big enough and strong enough you can just go around and take what you want!?!"  The obvious and truthful answer to this is,  "Yes, that is exactly what I mean."

The typical person who gets all excited about global cooperation,  and having the strong emasculate themselves to make it fair for the weak, and to send lots of money to foreign dictators who rule over children with Kwashiorkor all sorts of diseases, is also an animal lover who wants to protect the rainforest, and preserve the Serengetti, etc.

They are also usually evolutionists, or something like it---just as long as Jesus didn't make the world.

So, if it's OK for Wolves, Lions, Big Horn Sheep, Elephants, Dolphins, Gorillas and Baboons, why isn't it OK for people?

MIght makes right seems like the best way for us to evolve to the "next level."  If those people are weak, why should they be allowed to live and use up our resources?  Obviously, they have been given more time to evolve, culturally.  I mean, Iraq has thousands of years of glory behind it, while USA is just a newcomer.  

Seems to me like evolution is occuring....or at least it should be.  Then again, maybe we will capitulate.  Either way it's just nature taking its course....no different than two bighorn sheep ramming into eachother to see who gets to mate with the female.  In this case, it's over oil, according to some.  (A stupid comment, seeing as how we are not going to take their oil)  Others actually think that Iraqi's suffered under Sadaam and that the world is a safer place as a result of our action.  Either way, it doesn't matter.  Just think of it as 2 sheep ramming heads to see who wins.

Nature demonstrates true morality.  We are only guests on the earth.  The Earth doesn't belong to us, we belong to it.  Love your mother (Earth).  George Bush has every right to ram his head into Sadaam Hussein if he wants to.  If a sheep can do it, he can too.  Afterall, we are all just animals sharing the planet.

Thank God for the Bible!

Brent

« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 02:43:42 am by Brent A. Trockman » Logged
M2
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2003, 03:41:24 am »

... Others actually think that Iraqi's suffered under Sadaam and that the world is a safer place as a result of our action...
Good parallel here. Replace Iraqis with assemblies, Sadaam with you-know-who etc.

Marcia
Oscar

Email
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2003, 02:09:17 pm »

Tom in reply, The father of the  young girl of whom I mentioned
was not a serviceman. He was an Arab citizen who was in Bahgdad
as part of his job. I realy don't know what he thought about his
reasons for being there but I know hers.  She is devistated. She feels his death was pointless.

OK Dave, I misunderstood you.

So...why did you challenge me about coming and justifying her father's death?  Why did he die? Beats me.  Maybe he wasn't looking or something.  Why are you asking me?

I expect  a person who is supose to be my elder would show the maturity to agree to disagreewithout letting his emotions get involved.

So now you have moved up from merely being the moral judge of the universe...now you even know what I am thinking!!!  Omniscience no less!

Whatt I have always stated (along with many of our own political leaders is that this invasion
did not meet the criteria set forth by our own standards. We invaded a country based on lies!  
Now that George cannot get the oil out of Iraq he is now asking for 87 billion in hopes he can clean up
this terrible mistake.

Dave, why do you come here to this BB with your political views?  If you want some action, go to some conservative BB and let fly.  But, get ready for some heated replies.
This board, as far as I understand, has a different purpose.

Tom you seem to be stuck in the idea that an evolutionist (Of which I am not) cannot have a moral base
Why? Because morality must have a predisposed origin before it can be defined as moral?  Nonsense!
Just as life developes into more and more complex patterns so can morality spring out of itself.

Yes I can hear you laugh but did I develope this theory?  Get and education, These ideas have been around
for many years again read Telliard Charden!!!!!

Dave, as I have said again, and again, and again, people can have all the moral standards they want.  But if there are no objectively verifiable rules...all morals are merely matters of preference.  

You are not an evolutionist, but you appeal to an evolutionist to support your ideas.  You tell me to "get and education" and to "again read Telliard Charden!!!!!"

I am assuming you mean, "Get an education" and "Read Tielhard de Chardin again!!!!!"

Dave, regarding educational levels, I would have to say that I have no desire to get into a wrangle with you over who is the most educated.

I am fairly well acquainted with the work of Pierre Tielhard de Chardin.  I read "The Phenomenon of Man" and one other book by him back when you were in elementary school.  However, I found his ideas so strange that I never had any desire to read more.

Chardin was a Jesuit priest and a paleantologist specializing in supposed human evolution.  He was one of the organizers of the project that found the "Peking Man" fossils.

Are you aware that he thought the earth was alive?  He thought that all we mere individual consciousnesses were evolving toward an "Omega Point" where humanity would take an evolutionary leap upward and arrive at a new plane of being.

He took a very flawed idea, (Darwinism), to account for the emergence of consciousness. Then he used it as a paradigm for the entire universe.  This is speculation times speculation.

The New Age whacko belief in the "Geia Hypothesis" is largely based on his ideas.  I must confess that I'm not impressed with this line of thought.

Finally Dave, you said,

"Just as life developes into more and more complex patterns so can morality spring out of itself."

Morality could only "spring out of itself" if it existed before it "sprang".  If it already existed, why would it need to "spring out"?

I would be so bold as to suggest that you don't introduce the word "nonsense" in posts where you make statments like that.

Thomas Maddux

David Mauldin
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2003, 07:50:15 am »

Tom a few months ago I posted my fears about the present administrations threats to invade Iraq.  I posted my concerns that this action was unfounded, irresponsible and would lead our country into a situation that it may regret.  Now that all of this has come to pass I wonder at your attempts to change the subject.  The real issue is my belief system??? No, Tom I can't read your mind but when you call me names what am I supose to think? You supportted the invasion correct? Thank You for correcting my spelling  Tielhard de Charden  shows us that just as man (could be evolving) so the spiritual and moral aspects of man.  Look at history Tom today millions are living longer healthier lives, technology has solved many many problems because of all the good man has accomplished in medicine and though government, look how many lives the U.N. saved just this last decade!This is what Mr. Charden was talking about!. Is it my belief system? Of course it isn't.  So let me continue Have you read the news lately?  More and more lies are being exposed!  More and more deaths are taking place!  Why? Why aren't people standing up for truth?  Tom you are welcome to ignore my post!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 08:37:41 am by David Mauldin » Logged
David Mauldin
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2003, 08:40:39 am »

Joe have you ever read Ishi the last of his tribe?  How about Burry my Heart at Wounded Knee?  Perhaps this would open your eyes about "Scalps"  and "Raided Cabins"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: