AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 10:46:08 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Pets  (Read 40071 times)
sfortescue

Email
« on: June 17, 2003, 06:46:12 am »

My mom occasionally raises some Toy Fox Terriers.  When she first got hers, she quit having trouble with mice.  These dogs are unusually fast and are able to catch them.  They have a nice personality and are anxious to please.  Sometimes it seems as if they have a sense of humor, as if they are natural born comedians.

A number of the puppies shown in this web site are from my mom's dog:

http://www.toyfoxterrier.com/

In fact, the middle picture on the puppies page shows my mom's dog nursing puppies.
MGov

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 08:43:10 am »

Checked out the web site.  The puppies are cute.

M
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 08:36:35 pm »

Stephen----

Are you looking for an argument? Fox terriers can't hold a candle to shelties and you know it!!! Grin Grin --Just kidding of course. Cute Pups!!!  I just love dogs!! I mentioned in another thread about having an A.K.C. sheltie(shetland sheep dog) named Raleigh Vaughn(the combined name means "Little one who is the keeper of the field"). His ancestors were real sheep-herding animals. I got him as a pup and as he grew he began to exhibit strange qualities.

All dogs like to run around of course. But he would run in wide circles around people, and each rotation he would move in a bit closer. He would nip at the heels of people as he ran as though he were coaxing them to get closer inside the circle. I read a book about them and they say it is because of years of training--it has actually become a part of their make-up, and they also have a "natural" tendency to do this anyway. Thus, the reason man began using them as herders in the first place.

He was such an intelligent animal. I never trained him but it was like he knew what I didn't like him to do. If I scolded him he woould  go and sit in a part of the yard where he knew I couldn't see him from the door. I'm not sure about fox terriers, are they very intelligent too? You know, I'm not sure about this--but I hope there are dogs in heaven. Cheesy

Did you ever see the old "Twilight Zone" epsisode where the old "Coon Hunter" almost enters hell instead of heaven but his old hound dog won't go in? It's a great episode.

Oh well, take care,  Joe
Mark Kisla
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 12:59:49 am »

Joe ,
That is a great Twilight zone episode, Rod Sterling was a great writer/producer . They occassionally have Twilight Zone marathons.I taped all of them, my kids love them and they have opened doors to some great family discussions.
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 07:56:20 am »

How about the books by James Herriot such as, "All Creatures Great and Small."
His books are about his experiences as a country vet.

Here is a web site that I found:

http://www.thirsk.org.uk/herriot1.html
Ken Fuller

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 06:36:56 pm »

Okay ... let's open this up for discussion ....

Do dogs have a soul??
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 08:06:18 pm »

Stephen----

Very funny!!  Andrea---thanks for the book references. As for a dog having a soul--I don't think the Bible teaches that(at least as far as I can tell)---but I would swear that some dogs are part human!! Cheesy I hope my old friend Raleigh goes to heaven--it would be nice to see him again!!!

--Joe
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 10:00:25 pm »

I don't think dogs have a soul...but then again, what do I know?? I was biblically trained by George Geftakys!
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2003, 02:27:41 am »

This link just barely fits the topic of pets because there are some horses in it:

360 degree photos

from http://www.yosemitepark.com/

On the keyboard, "+" zooms in and "-" zooms back out.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 09:33:11 am by Stephen M. Fortescue » Logged
psalm51

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2003, 03:01:03 am »

I don't think dogs have a soul...but then again, what do I know?? I was biblically trained by George Geftakys!
Eulaha,
My dog may not have a soul. I don't know. But he sure seems to have a conscience.. And I might add he is the cutest dog in Illinois. And smart too (he never liked George).
I think you'd love him.
Pat
« Last Edit: June 21, 2003, 03:01:46 am by Pat Mathews » Logged
vbeers

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2003, 08:40:23 pm »

i would concur that dogs probably don't have a soul, but my two akc rotties sure have spunk and personality!  they have mood swings and display signs of having a conscience, as well.  hercules can jump a six foot fence, turn on and off the water hose, traverse the country for hours on end (unbeknownst to us) and then cower in fear when he gets caught.  budha, on the other hand is rebellious as can be beneath his layers of fur and blubber (which we lovingly refer to as his adorable exterior) but he is also unathletic and not too bright...

eulaha, i thought you were going to say, "then again, how would i know...i thought george had a soul!"   Smiley

lenore
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 09:27:52 pm »

Wink
TOPIC: PETS HAVE A SOUL:
Date: written on May 14,2004 at 12:13 noon EST:

I get mixed up between soul and spirit.

If the soul the personality core of our lives.
Then I have to say yes.

3 divisions in a human is body, soul and spirit.

Is the spirit that connect us to God.
I dont think a dog or a cat etc. does have that connection to God. No matter how much I wish they did.

I cant believe God created these animal, all of these animal and not preserve them for the new heaven and the new earth.
After all it does say some where in the word of GOD. that the child will lie down with the lion. and able to play in a cobra hole(paraphrasing).
So animals are beautiful creature, and part of God's creation. So why wont he preserve them.

Now just because the bible doesnt mention that animals are running around the throne of God.
Does it mean there are none.
It is one of those mysteries , of life that have been debated.

Animals have heart, minds, and energy, and personalities.
So is the soul the base of our personality.

Animals have unconditional love.
Where does that unconditional love come from.
Creatures knows the creator.

Didnt Jesus rebuke the Church leaders, for wanting him to quiet the crowds during his victorious ride on the colt on palm sunday.
Jesus said if he quiet his disciples, wouldnt the stones
immediate cry out.
My favourite passage in REVELATIONS is:
Revelation 5 :
There are a number of verses I praise God for in this chapter.
The verse of 13:
AND EVERY CREATURE WHICH IS IN HEAVEN, AND ON THE EARTH, AND UNDER THE EARTH, AND SUCH AS ARE IN THE SEA, AND ALL THAT ARE IN THEM, I HEARD SAYING:
"BLESSED AND HONOUR AND GLORY AND POWER
BE TO HIM WHO SITS ON THE THRONE
AND TO THE LAMB, FOREVER AND EVER!"

I also like the last line of 5:8:
and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints:"  this is for another posting .

Getting back to the DOG HAVING SOULS ,,,, ::)My vote is yes. if it means the personality of the animal.
ANIMALS have PERSONALITIES, no one can doubt that.

There is a stats I heard about : a full grown German Shepherd dog. has the minimum intelligence of a four year old child.

As an ALPHA LEADER TO MY DOG, I am bias, I have even taught my dog to talk.
For a weiner, she can say 'I LOVE YOU', 'GOOD GIRL', HUNGRY' 'SARA', 'MAMA',  she understands alot of words.
She even knows how the word WALK, even if you spell it. I AM NOT LYING !!!.
There was a friend of Sara's came in, She popped her head around with Sara to say Hello. MISSY MY DOG, said 'HOW ARE YOU', I didnt even open my mouth.
SHE LOOKED AT THE DOG, RAN OUT OF THE HOUSE.
It was unweinerized automatic, speaking to Sara's friend.  It looked like Missy was yawning, out pop 'HOW ARE YOU'.  It was so funny, Sara and I almost "peed" ourselves, laughing so hard, that my dog, scared out Sara's friend by talking  a three word sentence.
'HOW ARE YOU'

So after reading this comedy story.
DO DOGS HAVE SOULS.HuhHuhHuh?
Mine sure does.

Grin A VALLEY SEE YOU LATER Grin

Enc. is a picture of the breed my dog is part of.
I am waiting on an assistance from a church member to scan some pictures for me, put on 3 1/2 floopy, so  I can have more personal pictures to share including my dog.

moonflower2

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 08:51:58 am »

I originally included part of this on the wrong thread.

I think that we are different from animals in that we have souls. I think that animals have a spirit, but I'm not real sure about it. God made everything, so I'm thinking that there is something of God in everything. God recognizes it, and it recognizes God. A "spirit" concept would fit this, I think.  But I know what you mean about animal personalities; they are as different from eachother as we people are from eachother.

Yes, I've decided that my cat has a "spirit", a good one.  Wink If Balaam's donkey could talk for the Lord, my cat could, too. If Balaam's donkey could see an Angel, then other animals could, too. If winds and storms and rivers can respond to God's voice, my cat can, too.  Shocked Someday....

lenore
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 06:31:32 am »

Cheesy

ENCLOSED YOU WILL FIND A PICTURE OF ME
WITH MY FURRY FOOTLEGGED CHILDREN
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2004, 05:12:38 am »

This one-page thread has been lingering on the BB for almost a year.  In my typical unbiased, fence-sitting, peace-keeping manner, I have composed the following poem, with the goal of maintaining harmony among Christian pet-owners:

Cats are cool,

But dogs rule!

But, seriously, a wise brother once told me that if the best dog in the world were to bite the worst man in the world, the dog would have to suffer the consequences, because only man, of all God's creatures, was created in His image & likeness.  Mankind may corrupt itself in the extreme, but we still bear the only design meant to inherit the Kingdom of God.  Food for thought...

al

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: