AssemblyBoard
April 26, 2024, 12:22:13 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Glorious liberty of the sons/ children of God  (Read 6297 times)
Tim Souther

Email
« on: January 12, 2003, 12:15:58 pm »

Ro 8:21 - Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

First I rejoice because this is what I believe is the  experience of many, like me, who have departed from the Geftakys grip.

Second, however, I was wondering... I always wanted to ask George G. why he always read the end of this verse as "the glorious liberty of the sons of God." instead of using the correct word, which is children.  The Greek word is "teknon" which means "children", as opposed to "huios", which means "sons".  Every Bible translation I've seen uses the word "children".  The only place sons was used was in his preaching.  Was this but another sign of the emphasis on making ourselves inheritance material?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2003, 04:32:39 am by editor » Logged
Curious

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2003, 06:23:13 pm »

Good thoughts...but doesn't Ro8:28 say...And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Was the referenced verse a typo or am I reading my bible wrong?

I have found great comfort in Rom 8:28 knowing that God is going to use all this mess for good...I know he's used it in my life to open my eyes and give me hope...for the first time in years I have peace and joy...not just my "meeting face" to keep up appearances!

Sebastian Andrew

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2003, 08:11:10 pm »

Greetings:
...if children then heirs...!
 Ephesians was also a key book for me(another story).
In my opinion the word sons is used in light of the inheritance theme, but we are sons through faith in Christ Jesus (Gal. 4:6-7). The fullness of time has come, and God sent His Son to redeem...so that we might receive adoption....We are not not under trusteeship any more. The date set by the father has passed, the fulness of time has come! God sent His Son. And because you ARE sons God has sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying "Abba! Father!" So through God you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son then an heir. The only process that I can see is a historical one-God's timing as He worked up till the death of Messiah. I can't see a "taking the place of son's" process after one has already been born into the family of God. George's teaching is a sure guarantee for religious burn-out. Frankly, the assembly is such a mess all around that I couldn't recommend anyone go there even if some locales seperate themselves from headquarters. It would be taking too much of a gamble with people's lives.
Sebastian Andrew

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2003, 02:48:38 am »

4HIM:

I hope you didn't think that because you made a mistake in your reference I was referring to you as a mess? Someone else pointed it out already so I didn't bother.
Sebastian Andrew
Sebastian Andrew

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2003, 02:53:28 am »

Addendum:

Pointed out the mistaken reference, that is Grin.(I can't edit either)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: