AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 04:08:18 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anxiety  (Read 7639 times)
mkoley

Email
« on: May 06, 2003, 07:28:06 pm »

Since I left the assembly a little over 3 1/2 years ago, I've had a difficult time overcoming anxiety.  Often, it can become almost paralyzing.  Much of this has to do with my 4 year involvement in the Assembly.  I don't want to use it as an excuse.  However, I was wondering if any of you had any advise and/or materials you would recommend?  I've comtemplated using medicine, but right now, it's simply not a viable option.  I would appreciate all of your imput.  I won't be able to respond until around 1:00 C.S.T.  I look forward to your responses.
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 08:29:18 pm »

I don't know where you live,  but the Master's College has FREE biblical counseling (this is in the Los Angeles area).  I and my daughter are currently meeting with someone who has helped TREMENDOUSLY.  It is grounded in scripture and really helps to show you where the assembly misrepresented scripture and enables you to "rightly divide" the word, in order to overcome those anxiety feelings that I know so control those of us who were so guilt ridden by the "overcoming" message of the assembly.

PM me or e-mail me and we can dialogue regarding this further if you are so inclined.

Kimberley
jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 09:17:39 pm »

I've been encouraged by reading the following books:

1) Churches That Abuse - by Ron Enroth
2) Recovering from Churches That Abuse - by Ron Enroth
3) Twisted Scriptures - by Mary Alice Chrnalogar (still reading this)
4) The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse - by Jeff VanVonderen and David Johnson
5) Tired of Trying to Measure Up - by Jeff VanVonderen

These authors have GG's number dialed .  As you read them you will find:

1) You are not alone with regard to your anxiety.
2) God loves you no matter what.
3) Church leaders don't have the right to treat you the way that most did in the assembly.
4) The damage and deception was pervasive and subtle.
5) You can avoid being enslaved again in a yoke of bondage by knowing what made the assembly tick.
6) There is hope.

I got them all from Amazon for $6 - $13 each.

Hope this helps.

Jack
Arthur
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 10:39:25 pm »

Since I left the assembly a little over 3 1/2 years ago, I've had a difficult time overcoming anxiety.  Often, it can become almost paralyzing.  Much of this has to do with my 4 year involvement in the Assembly.  I don't want to use it as an excuse.  However, I was wondering if any of you had any advise and/or materials you would recommend?  I've comtemplated using medicine, but right now, it's simply not a viable option.  I would appreciate all of your imput.  I won't be able to respond until around 1:00 C.S.T.  I look forward to your responses.

I know exactly what you are talking about.  Immediately after leaving (and even before leaving) I had a terrible time with mental anquish.  I couldn't function properly in life or talk to people without a constant lingering fear that I could do nothing about.  That was about two years ago.  Today I feel almost 100% recovered.  I'd say that the number one thing that aided in recovery was hitting the problem head on.  Fears linger in the shadows.  Turn the light on, take a close look and they'll disperse.  
This website, writing down my story, talking to many people about my experiences and theirs--all helped in recovery.  I got normal friends, started going to a normal church (that took about a year to find one that I was comfortable with) -- and I don't go to just one, I have friends from about five or six different Christian churches that I hang out with, do Bible study with, etc.
It takes time, be patient, but there are things you can do--study the documentation on the assembly (here and at www.geftakysassembly.com), think about what happened, search for the truth and you'll find it and there will be no further cause for fear, because every earnest search for the truth ends in the discovery that God is sovereign and in control, and he loves us and will not let us go.

Arthur
mkoley

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 11:18:50 pm »

I want to thank you all for your responses.  I will probably invest in some of the materials that Jack has mentioned.  Hopefully, they should help.

Arthur, I think you hit the nail on the head.  I need to face my fears head on and continue to hash things out.  I've been out of the assembly for approximately 3 1/2 years.  I'm a lot better off, than say a year ago, but there's still room for improvement.  I just want to find some sort of closure, I guess.  

mkoley

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 11:19:33 pm »

I want to thank you all for your responses.  I will probably invest in some of the materials that Jack has mentioned.  Hopefully, they should help.

Arthur, I think you hit the nail on the head.  I need to face my fears head on and continue to hash things out.  I've been out of the assembly for approximately 3 1/2 years.  I'm a lot better off, than say a year ago, but there's still room for improvement.  I just want to find some sort of closure, I guess.  

Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2003, 12:54:56 am »

Mkoley----

I know exactly what you mean about anxiety. It stems
from fear. Almost all we learned in the Assembly was
fear-based, thus the increase in anxieties. The fear of
losing the Inheritance, of God's anger or displeasure, and
especially the anxiety that comes from actually leaving.

In the back of your mind will be thoughts that God is displeased with you, that you've accepted less, etc.--
all borne in place by the teachings of the Assembly about leaving "the blessed place".

What I've learned is that anxiety can actually become a kind
of habit---when you're not feeling anxious something must be wrong, so you become anxious about not feeling anxious(as crazy as that sounds). Soon you can't even pinpoint what the anxiety is about---you just feel it.

I read a book about  anxiety by a Christian author and one thing she said to try was to picture yourself in that boat with Jesus and the apostles. You are floating above all of your problems with Jesus in complete control. He will calm the seas and the storm with a wave of his hand---and there is NO WAY he will let harm come to you. Let go and just float in the boat knowing that Jesus, the Lord of heaven is in the boat with you. Believe it or not this has
helped me many times. I simply have to let go and remember that Jesus is at the helm of my life--all of the storms that SEEM so HUGE are nothing to him, I lie at his feet asleep in the boat and he calms the winds and the sea and takes charge of everything. Nothing can befall me unless he allows it--and he will never let me drown in that sea of anxiety that overtakes me at times.

I wish I could remember the name of the Book and the author but it escapes me now. But perhaps that thought will help out a little.

God bless you,  Joe
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2003, 01:23:15 am »

Hi All! Smiley
  I was also very anxious after leaving the Assembly.  I was terribly fearful that I had made a great mistake and my destiny was outer darkness.  I had a battle in my mind between the unreasonable fear of eternal loss and the knowledge of the grace of God in truth.  In other words, my mind knew the truth, but my negative emotions would overcome the facts of the Gospel.
  Insecurity is the basis for anxiety in our lives.  Security in the Assembly was based on personal achievement and loyalty to the group. This obviously is a false basis for security and is easily broken.
  The others have put the means to find that security so well I just want to say "amen" to their suggestions and reinforce one aspect:  We can trust in the sovereign love and care of God for our souls; we are safe and sound in the redeeming grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
  The book, "Grace" by Lewis Sperry Chafer will barrage your soul with encouragement from the Bible re. the facts of what happened in our salvation.
  Kimberely's idea of finding Biblical counselling is a good one(Kim. he appears to live in the central time zone) and many churches will have free resources for counselling.  I would not have been able to make the transition from the Assembly to discovery of my security in Christ without the help of those who made an effort to help me.  Hopefully this BB will be helpful to you.
                                       God Bless,  Mark
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2003, 09:24:36 pm »

mkoley-

Be assured, your salvation rests in the hands of the Father.  He has forgiven your sins-past, present and future.  Nothing you do will take away the Father's love.  He will never leave you or forsake you.  You do not have to work for your salvation-it was already secured by Christ dying on the cross.  When you fail, know that God is not condemning you or threatening to take away your inheritence.  I had to remember these things in order to remain spiritually sane.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: