AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 02:32:14 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Books You Would Recommend And Why?  (Read 29396 times)
M2
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2004, 01:24:33 am »

Dave, you must listen to the BBC production of The Lord of the Rings, and/or watch the extended version of the movies on DVD.

There really are some  l  o  n  g  sections in the second LOTR book that describe seemingly endless travels through dark & despondent lands.  The movie version keeps up the action pace & assumes, rather than portrays, the long dry spells.  The readers of the audio books put so much feeling into their voices that the worst of times seem to pass more swiftly.

I enjoyed the voices in the audio version.  However, I found in those long stretches between the few critical action points that my mind would wonder off when they were in these endless conversations about where to go next.  I think if Tolkein had to face the rigorous modern editor, he would have ended up with a pamphlet.  I got to the point that I dreaded putting the cassette into the car stereo, opting rather for Rush Limbaugh.  After several weeks of this, I finally faced reality and said, "if I am really not enjoying this, why am I doing this?"

Dave and Al,

but... I assume that you have not heard the BBC production version of LOTR on CD or cassette.  BBC has also done an audio version of the Hobbit.

About 10-12 years ago we were travelling by car from Ottawa to Spokane WA.  We were in Montana on the interstate heading west and guess what, we ran out of gas because we had gotten so distracted with BBC's audio version of LOTR.  Montana is so isolated that the State Police cars are equipped to syphon gas.  Well we benefitted from their genorosity, and were able to run of of gas again just as we coasted into the nearest gas station.  Those state troopers were quite expert with their math calculations of how many minutes to turn on the nozzle and give only what's need to any helpless motorist.  So, the moral of the story, you must listen to the BBC audio production.  They have editted out parts of the story and did an excellent job.

Marcia
glossyibis

Email
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2004, 08:55:56 am »

BEST BOOKS I HAVE READ RECENTLY. All get two thumbs up.

1) THE PASTOR'S WIFE  BY  SABINA WURMBRAND
2) TORTURED FOR CHRIST  BY RICHARD WURMBRAND
      both deal with Christian persecution during
communist occupation of Romania
3) ANGOLA BELOVED  BY T.ERNEST WILSON
       40 years of memories by a wonderful man of God
who labored in Angola from 1920 to 1960
4)POET AND PEASANT  AND THROUGH PEASANT EYES
   BY KENNETH E. BAILEY
        splendidly done exegesis of the parables in the book of Luke
 5)THE FAITH OF GOD'S ELECT  BY JOHN F. PARKINSON
        this book takes Calvinism and Arminianism behind
the woodshed for a good spanking. Best book on Calvinism yet.

Enjoy,  steve harris
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2004, 11:09:53 am »

BEST BOOKS I HAVE READ RECENTLY. All get two thumbs up.

1) THE PASTOR'S WIFE  BY  SABINA WURMBRAND
2) TORTURED FOR CHRIST  BY RICHARD WURMBRAND
      both deal with Christian persecution during
communist occupation of Romania
3) ANGOLA BELOVED  BY T.ERNEST WILSON
       40 years of memories by a wonderful man of God
who labored in Angola from 1920 to 1960
4)POET AND PEASANT  AND THROUGH PEASANT EYES
   BY KENNETH E. BAILEY
        splendidly done exegesis of the parables in the book of Luke
 5)THE FAITH OF GOD'S ELECT  BY JOHN F. PARKINSON
        this book takes Calvinism and Arminianism behind
the woodshed for a good spanking. Best book on Calvinism yet.

Enjoy,  steve harris

Steve,

You have listed five books, each of which you have given two thumbs up...  does this indicate that you are "all thumbs?"

Grin al  Wink

All kidding aside, thanks for the recommendations...

lenore
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2004, 12:43:19 pm »

MAY 24: 3:48 AM EST:

BOOKS I WOULD RECOMMEND:
- any and all novels by JANNETTE OKE   - excellent Christian author , and a Canadian author, of heartwarming and inspiring and clean romance novel, with a Christian story .

MY CHURCH IS READING:
- THE PURPOSE DRIVE LIFE
      -What on Earth am I Here For?
-by Rick Warren:

I am only on the first day so far.  There if 40 chapters to be read one chapter a day for 40 days.

So far, the people I have spoken to, have enjoyed and have been able to glean from it.
Helms

Email
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2004, 10:59:05 pm »

I am a big fan of Orwell. I like 1984, and I feel what Winston must have felt. I also like Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm. (Guess I am not exactly all cheery in my taste of books, huh?) But as far as a spiritual aspect, I actually picked up Captive Hearts, Captive Minds. Excellent! Makes me feel that I am not crazy or alone. I've also read Scripture twisters. And Chruches that Abuse. Those not so much. I would highly recommend Captive Hearts, Captive Minds to anyone of you. Smiley Has anyone else read it and felt the same way? And of course anything by C. S. Lewis pretty much rocks. Smiley
Uncle Buck
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2006, 06:49:08 am »

Big Dummies of the Bible

brings to life 13 offbeat biblical tales of downright stupidity, including:

Kings and priests who couldn’t keep their pants on
The most expensive bowl of soup ever eaten
The mean queen who became canine cuisine
The fool who picked a fight with a hungry army
The warrior who was putty in a pretty woman’s hands

Why read about these goofs, blunders, and slip-ups? Bestselling author Stephen M. Miller says there are at least two reasons to ponder these tales of denseness:

“For one thing,” he says, “it’s reassuring to know there are people dumber than us. And for another, we human beings learn from mistakes—whether it’s our own mistakes or the mistakes of someone else. We experience misery—vicariously or in the flesh—and we’re suddenly wiser.”

Each chapter contains a set of thought-provoking questions, challenging you to apply these biblical lessons to twenty-first-century living. With tongue firmly implanted in cheek at times, Miller makes it clear that you could be guilty—or at risk—of similar stupidity, and the often dreadful consequences.

Big Dummies of the Bible will make you cringe (and laugh) while you learn how not to be a dummy, too. You’ll wise up in a hurry.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: