AssemblyBoard
April 24, 2024, 06:32:30 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Grace - the missing ingredient  (Read 15001 times)
psalm51

Email
« on: April 02, 2003, 07:49:52 pm »

Paul Tournier, the Swiss doctor and a man of strong personal faith wrote "I cannot study this very serious problem of guilt ...without raising the very obvious and tragic fact that religion - my own as well as that of all believers  - can crush instead of liberate."
One of the distressing things about the GA's was the absence of grace in much of the teaching and practice.  In 27 years of assembly life I met many who were godly and sincere. In fact, I often met God as well...something infinitely valuable. Yet I became increasingly aware that I was learning almost nothing about grace.

I learned how to be judgmental (is she, or is she not wearing pierced earrings?  Roll Eyes).
I learned how to make people feel guilty ("missed you at the meeting!").  I learned how to be spiritually arrogant ("PTL for OUR vision").  
I learned that the "heavenly vision" was more important than helping the poor and the needy. (ie. don't encourage people with mental disabilities to be at the meetings.)
I learned that other ministries were just not up to our standards. (ie. Billy Graham, Chuck Swindoll, and James Dobson in particular)  
I learned that the meetings were "God's trumpet calls" (any other commitment or engagement wasn't - ie. your child's school activity).
I learned how to be harsh with my children and those who lived in my home under the guise of faithfulness.
I learned that even if you didn't understand George's ministry it was glorious even though it wasn't most of the time.
I learned that parents' who had children with problems had failed.  (ie. Betty and George were only too glad to tell you about them)
I learned what a lousy wife and mother I was (Betty loved this theme and repeatedly enlarged on it in my meetings with her).
I learned that being a good example meant trampling the dignity of others.

Philip Yancey writes: "Graceless religion tells us we must follow the letter of the rules, and failure will bring eternal rejection."

Many in the assemblies longed for grace and found an atmosphere "choked with the fumes of ungrace". (Yancey)  I am thankful that there are graceful Christian communities out there and that we have escaped the ungracious ways of assembly life as laid out by the Geftakys system.

What do you think?
BeckyW

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 09:30:18 pm »

Pat- I agree.  I don't have much time for a reply, but I remember clearly an example of this.  One of my first encounters with geo., he asked how I got saved.  I happily replied that it was through Campus Crusade and the Four Spiritual Laws, after my newly saved sister took me to hear Josh McDowell speak. He proceeded to then put down Bill Bright (a fine, truly godly man) and their whole ministry.  I defended them until he looked at me and said, "You may be saved but are you going to HEAVEN?"  This was many years ago.  I wonder how many other people he was able to stumble with that line. Becky
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2003, 09:34:16 pm »

Amen and amen!

It was this lack of grace that kept me in bondage and constant turmoil in my Christian walk.  Even though the assembly in the San Fernando Valley (where we were in fellowhship) has disbanded, this lack of grace is still at work.  There are couples who still will not have anything to do with my husband and I (though we were involved for 20 and 15 years respectively.)  We left just a few months before everything blew up and we didn't do it "the right way".  It doesn't matter that the reasons we left were the same as why the whole thing came crashing down.  Somehow, there was a "right way" to do it and we "fell short."  My very best friend (the person who preached the gospel to me in the first place and who brought me into the assembly, a friend of almost 20 years) will still not speak with me.  THIS IS A LACK OF GRACE!

I am now pursuing God's grace diligently.  It is His grace that frees, that liberates, that loves, that changes lives, that moves me.  I am in a church now that majors on God's grace (without compromising the truths of scripture) and boy........what a breath of fresh air.  My hope is now, not in myself, my performance, what I can do for God, how faithful I can be.......NOOOOOOO!!!!!!  It's not about me at all!!!!!!!!   It's all about HIM!  His grace is sufficient.  When I fail, I look to him.  I WILL fail.  But he is always there, with hope, an outstretched hand saying to me, "I love you, my child, I will work in you that which is pleasing to me, rest in me."  

GRACE GIVES HOPE.
jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 12:11:22 am »

I just read the article "Full Salvation by Devout Effort" by Steve Irons.  No wonder he was excommunicated!  How would George ever have maintained his reign of terror without instilling in us such a strong sense of false guilt and fear?  I still haven't figured out the conditional/unconditional inheritance issue yet, but I am searching the scriptures to see what they really teach.  Sure, I can show you a ton of verses that seem to prove GG's doctrine, yet Mormons and the Church of Christ members can do the same with their doctrine.  I'm reading a great book called "Twisted Scriptures".  It shows how abusive churches mis-use the word of God to enslave people.

The few times I did preach I usually spoke on the theme: "God is for us!"  I remember wondering why my theme was always the same.  I wondered why it wasn't something more spiritual or about our 'heavenly vision'.  Now I suspect it was because I was preaching the message I wanted and needed to hear myself.

Lately I've been basking in the light of the fact that I am complete in Him, and that I'm a new creature in Christ.  If I have the Son, I have the life.  What more do I need?  What did the blood of Christ accomplish for me if the possiblility of my facing a fearful death still exists?

I've always loved reading the stories of godly men and women.  I always cried at the end, though.  When they died they had such assurance that they were about to be ushered into the presence of God.  I knew that God intended that for me, but I also just knew that I needed to be obedient (to what I mistakenly thought was 'heavenly vision'), faithful, godly, diligent, dead to self, spiritual, pure, selfless and a lot of other things I knew I wasn't.  No wonder I gradually lost interest in preaching the gospel over the years.  My flawed theology led me to believe that I had no more assurance than the people I was trying to reach.

I got saved in April 1984 as I read in 1Tim 1:8-10 "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a rightous man, but for those who are lawless....and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching."  Five days later I went to my first assembly Bible study on campus, where I began learning from those who did not use the Law lawfully.  I am rediscovering the gospel I first received.  God imputed His righteousness to me when I got saved.  The Law (or our man-made standard of 'excellence') is not made to justify the righteous (or to prepare him to reign with Christ), but to condemn the unrighteous and bring him to repentance and faith in Christ.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound!

Jack
vernecarty
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2003, 10:09:24 pm »

For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ...
1 Cor. 8:9

This verse has become a cornerstone for me, as I struggle with the lessons learned from time under the influence of GG's ministry. There is no question that numberless saints in attendance were serious and devout Chirstians with a sincere love for God and His people. One of my own great failings was allowing to become part and parcel of my disposition and deportment, that which I knew full well was not in keeping with the above verse.
We all in some measure knew the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ!
Yet sadly, often our... my conduct did not reflect that knowledge. Many of the things Pat cited strike a familiar chord. It seems to me the signal lesson I have taken from that experience is that we, I, cannot claim to know the Lord Jesus Christ with any credibilty, while our... my life, reflects nothing of Him...

And of His fullness have all we received, and grace for grace... John 1:16

I am learning to ask, of myself, and all who name the name of Christ, "Where is the resemblance?"

This is a yardstick, impossible to counterfeit...
Verne
« Last Edit: April 05, 2003, 10:10:40 pm by vernecarty » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2003, 05:49:18 am »

This may be the most encouraging thread on the Web right now!  It certainly blesses my heart to read it.

i used to wonder what the phrase "grace for grace" in John 1:16 meant.  John says that it is of God's fulness, and that all of us HAVE received it.  i believe it is the "fail-safe" for the promise of Ephesians 2:8-9:  "For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest anyone should boast."
     That is, every aspect of our salvation: past, present and future is given us as a gift, by the grace of God.  All we have to do in order to implement it is to believe it (faith).  But God didn't leave even that to chance (suppose we don't have enough faith?  suppose our faith isn't strong enough?).  NO!!!  Even our believing, accepting Faith is a gift from God:  Grace by which to receive his grace!  Grace for grace!

All of your revelations of Grace (on this thread) are so welcome and such blessed eye-openers and reminders.  In particular, Verne's words (reflecting upon Pat's) resonate within me.
     Those many years we spent in the mistaken belief that if we just could do everything right, follow the blueprint, the world would see Christ in our midst.  What were we thinking?  Even WE weren't seeing Christ in our midst.  We were working too hard!  ...NOT of works, lest any man should boast.  We didn't even recognize the boasting.

But now the blinders are off.  We don't have to produce Christ in our midst.  He IS in us-- in each one of us.  We don't have to MAKE him show up!  We can LET HIM SHINE THROUGH!!!  "Even the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations, but is now made manifest to his saints: to whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery...  which is Christ in you, the hope of glory." Colossians 1:26-27

Marvelous grace, infinite grace,
            Grace that will pardon and cleanse within,
                       Grace, grace, God's grace,
               Grace that is greater than all our sin.

al Hartman
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2003, 08:39:04 am »

Hi Everyone! Smiley
  This thread is indeed great!  I got back home today, all worn out, and started reading the posts and was truly blessed!
  Everyone here has a story to tell and a different aspect of how they discovered grace.  As we evaluate our involvement in the merit system employed by the Assembly honestly there are rich rewards to be earned ( I know, an ironic twist of phrase Wink).
  Jack mentioned that he is still trying to figure out the inheritance teaching from Scripture and I have a thought that might help here.  First, concentrate on what you have in salvation  (a good book on this is called, "Grace" by Chafer).  Start a list as to what the Bible promises is yours the very instant you were saved.  When you discover you are forgiven, justified, sanctified, a heir, a son, a member of the body of Christ, promised a place with Him in Heaven, part of the Bride of Christ, seated with Him, in Christ, and Christ in you, the apple of His eye, sealed unto inheritance, eternally secure, holy, a saint, His child, His friend, His brethren, beloved, your name written in his hands, flesh of His flesh and bone of His bones, continual free access to Him, His eye continually on you, Christ in his fullness, unmerited favor, etc!
   Now, I've just started the list, and others can be added.  When you've completed your list try to then see how GG's merit inheritance message fits in!  GG tried to make the new birth very inconsequential by refering to it as "mere salvation".  GG's concept of salvation was that it was just a "launch pad" to "greater" salvation.
   There is only one salvation, and it is far greater than we can imagine, and it is all ours at initial reception of the free gift! Smiley
   When we study the Bible, by first concentrating on the simplicity of the Gospel, we will know when someone is trying to lead us astray (My sheep hear my voice, and follow me).  By trying to start our study through parsing single difficult passages one can't see the forest for the trees.
   I would urge all those brought up under GG's teaching to seek to understand the simple Gospel first, and like those on this thread, to start enjoying it immediately!  It's your inheritance!! Wink Wink
                      God has greatly blessed us!   Mark

jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2003, 06:03:31 am »

Mark,

Thanks for your response.  Is it the one by Lewis-Sperry Chafer, written in 1965?  I saw it at half.com, but I just wanted to confirm it first.  I really am hungry for ministry and books on the subject of grace.

What do you think of the parables?  GG always said that they spoke of carnal Christians being contrasted with overcoming Christians.  Most Christians see them as contrasting non-Christians with Christians.  I admit, I have a hard time seeing unbelievers being represented by virgins.  I understand that GG taught us to interpret the Bible incorrectly.  I just haven't yet figured out exactly where we erred.  I'm not worried, though.  I'll get it soon enough.

Jack
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2003, 01:01:20 am »

Mark---

Thanks so much for your post. Grace is such a wonderful subject. It's always amazing to me how easily I can fall back into that Assembly teaching of "working to get right with God". It was engrained into me in the 5 or so years I was there. I always have to stop and remember "It is not of him that runneth, or he that willeth, but OF GOD who showeth mercy".  The other night a verse came to my mind and truly blessed me: it is a verse we have all heard over and over again, but when you meditiate on it it is so very comforting:

"Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden,
and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me: for I am meek and lowly in heart.
And ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light"(Matt. 11:28-30).

---Joe
Andrea Denner

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2003, 12:13:24 am »

Jack,
Have you read the book that Dave Sable recommended a while back?  How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth is really good and shows different ways people can err when reading the Bible.  It also gives solid, foundational Bible-reading principles to stick with.  I've only read part of it at this point, but have enjoyed it.
Andrea  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 09, 2003, 12:14:16 am by Andrea Denner » Logged
jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2003, 12:28:45 am »

Andrea,

I'm going to get a hold of that book and read it after I finish reading "Tired of Trying to Measure Up" by Jeff VanVonderen (one of the authors of "The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse") and "Twisted Scriptures".  How can any of us sort all this out while we have a distorted view of such a basic thing as how to read the Bible IN the proper context?  Even GG said, "A text taken out of context is merely a PREtext!"  Of course, he probably got that quote from someone else.

Jack
vernecarty
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2003, 10:34:01 pm »

Mark:
You sparked a line of thinking in your reference to Jack's concern about the inheritance...
Is not an inheritance that which we obtain by virtue of relationship?

It got me thinking about the frequent references in scripture to us securing that which already belongs to us!!
Instead fo striving hard to earn something, we can walk in the blessed and liberating reality of what is already ours!!.

Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all
 Gal. 4:1

Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown
 Rev. 3:11

Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours
1 Corinthians 3:21

Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
Ephesians 4:13
Verne
« Last Edit: April 12, 2003, 08:09:38 am by vernecarty » Logged
jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2003, 12:59:14 am »

Verne,

I like that.  Gal 4:1 then is not differentiating between a Christian who will inherit and a Christian who won't.  The comparison is between an immature Christian (who depends on works/service) and a mature Christian (who does not depend on works/service, but on faith in what he already has in Christ).  One's maturity is not based on how much or little one works/serves, but on one's perspective on works/service (keeping in mind the context of the book of Galatians).  We don't graduate from childhood into sonship as a result of serving.  The slave works/serves because he HAS to.  That's what slaves are for.  They are only worth what they can produce so their master's favor depends on their performance.  They have no individual identity or ability to choose.  On the other hand, the child (who has inherent value to the father) when he matures, is FREE to do whatever he wants within moral/ethical limits.  The mature son then becomes productive in the business that he chooses because that is what he wants to do for a living.  This is called FREEDOM.  If we stop trying to earn God's favor through works/service and delight ourselves in Him (and what he HAS given us in Christ) God will give us desires in our hearts to serve Him in particular ways.  Then the burden of service will be light (and not burdensome).  And, who knows, we may even enjoy life for a change.  Wouldn't that be aweful?...Aweful wonderful! (sorry, I couldn't resist).  And, the good news is, God calls us His sons; and such we ARE (1 John 3:1).

Many times during the preaching a brother (usually a leader) would say, "So we're not preaching works here, like some people say we are!"  We didn't preach salvation by works per se, but we did preach inheritance as a result of service, which is really the same thing (Gal. 3:3).

So if we want to mature we should be believers -  not workers.

I'm still trying to figure things out, so this is just an example of thinking "online".

Jack
Arthur
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2003, 04:17:25 am »

I hope you don't mind if I jump in here with a thought.

Heb 3
1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; 2 Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house. 3 For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house. 4 For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God. 5 And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after; 6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end. 7 Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, 8 Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: 9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years. 10 Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.  11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.) 12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God...
18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? 19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Heb 4
1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. 2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. 3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world....6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: 7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. 8 For if Jesus[Joshua] had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

I listened to Alexander Scourby read this passage on my Bible on CD yesterday. I played it a few times to get the feel of it.  It seems pretty clear to me that in the book of Hebrews, the author is using the readers' (Jews) understanding of the old testament to explain how God's plan has been fullfilled in Jesus the Son of God.
The book, from front to back, is about Jesus.  
Heb 3:1 says "...consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus."
Jesus is the one who gives us rest--rest for our souls. "Not the labor of my hands, could fulfill the laws demands", says the hymn.  Both before and after I believed in Jesus, what I did could not erase my sins or sinfulness and therefore cannot give me rest for my soul.   Only because Jesus paid for my sins and his blood cleanses me, can my soul be at rest from guilt.  Only through Jesus can I be reconciled and at peace with God.
This was the good news preached to the children of Israel in the wilderness--atonement by the blood of another by faith in God (back then, it was given in a type by animal sacrifice). This is what many of them hardened their hearts over.
God slew the firstborn and then delivered the people out of the land of bondage.  But then they hardened their hearts.

Jesus Christ, the firstborn, was slain for the sins of the whole world and, "When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men."  Yet today many people harden their hearts and will not believe.  

That is what this passage is talking about.  This passage is not saying anything about "overcoming Christians" versus "undercoming Chrisitians" or whatever you want to call it--worldy, compromised, backsliding, Christians.  That concept is something George made up and not what the passage is saying at all.   The passage is pointing to Jesus. It makes a distinction in whether or not you believe in Jesus.  

Someone may say, "but what about verse 11 of chapt 4 -- 'Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.'  See, it says we must labour to enter into rest."
Take a look at John 6:29  "Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. "
Our labour is to believe.  What can we do to clear the guilt of our sins?!  Nothing!  It is not possible.
Ok, then, what can we do to keep from missing out on our inheritance?  Maybe if I go to meetings, and preach the gospel, and kiss up to George I'll make it!  
No.
The Bible says, "For we which have believed do enter into rest." And, "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. "
Jesus said, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
"For he is our peace..."  Eph 2:14
Our peace and rest is in trusting our God for his salvation.

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."
« Last Edit: April 11, 2003, 04:38:24 am by Arthur » Logged
jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2003, 04:33:02 am »

I'd like to make a correction to my previous post.

I have been reminded that the book of Galatians was written to Christians who had been Jews who were lured back into fulfilling the Law.  In that context the slave would represent the unbeliever (a slave to those which by nature are no gods), the child would represent the Jews under the "guardians and managers" (the Law) and the sons were those who simply believed and therefore were heirs.  The Galatians were foolish because they were acting like "children" (under tutors), when God had already called them sons (who HAD BEEN made heirs). Gal 4:6-7.

I guess I need to remember to be a "careful reader of the Book!" (sorry, again I couldn't resist).

Jack
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: