AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 08:09:15 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Stand on the Present Crisis  (Read 28797 times)
Luke Robinson

Email
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2003, 06:13:36 am »

I stand corrected!!  We don't really have a straight democracy!

Well, I think that the Mafia might be behind the scenes, but I think that the Mafia is just a pawn for another group...of which I will not go into.

You're right, Mr. Andrew.  Just let the moronic manliness get out of control.   Grin  Also, I wouldn't advise inviting a Muslim to a BBQ.  AND DEFINETLY NOT PORK CHOPS!!  They might start a Jihad right in your backyard.  Just kidding.  Wink  Wink

retread

Email
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2003, 06:21:42 am »

I stand corrected!!  We don't really have a straight democracy!
So I guess we must have a "crooked" democracy. Grin
Luke Robinson

Email
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2003, 09:48:13 am »

No we have a hoosier democracy.
Sebastian Andrew

Email
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2003, 05:17:30 pm »

Greetings LR:
The Christian BBQ I was referring to is Brent's foam- at- the mouth scenario-obliteration. It aint 'ludes it's 'tudes. Hey, luv in action.

BTW, was it. you or PR that mentioned the VOM? My family got a chance several years ago to attend their conference in OK while Mr. and Mrs. Wurmbrand were still alive. I really admire(d) them.
Luke Robinson

Email
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2003, 07:55:34 pm »

It was LR.
Tanya

Email
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2003, 04:21:15 am »

From the Dec. 9 '02 issue of Christianity Today magazine:

Christians should remember that the just-war doctrine is not grounded in revenge, punishment, or even justice.  Thomas Aquinas discussed it in "Summa Theologica"--not in the section on justice but in the section on charity (that is, the love of God).  As Christian scholar Darrell Cole writes, "The Christian who fails to use force to aid his neighbor when prudence dictates that force is the best way to render that aid is an uncharitable Christian.  Hence Christians who willingly and knowingly refuse to engage in a just war...fail to show love towards their neighbor as well as toward God."
     Out of love of neighbor, then, Christians can and should support a preemptive strike, if ordered by the appropriate magistrate to prevent an imminent attack.
           ---by Chuck Colson

retread

Email
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2003, 07:31:43 am »

From the Dec. 9 '02 issue of Christianity Today magazine:

Christians should remember that the just-war doctrine is not grounded in revenge, punishment, or even justice.  Thomas Aquinas discussed it in "Summa Theologica"--not in the section on justice but in the section on charity (that is, the love of God).  As Christian scholar Darrell Cole writes, "The Christian who fails to use force to aid his neighbor when prudence dictates that force is the best way to render that aid is an uncharitable Christian.  Hence Christians who willingly and knowingly refuse to engage in a just war...fail to show love towards their neighbor as well as toward God."
     Out of love of neighbor, then, Christians can and should support a preemptive strike, if ordered by the appropriate magistrate to prevent an imminent attack.
           ---by Chuck Colson
Ah, a "Just War". This brings up a few questions.  What is a just war?  Who decides? In the case of Iraq, if we enter into a war to "liberate" Iraq, should it be the people of Iraq that decide if it is a just war? Should it be individuals that decide for themselves or should they just follow a leader?  Hey, maybe I should decide!  No, there is a real formula for disaster, I'll just follow someone else, that should be safe, maybe George Bush, maybe George Geftakys, maybe George of the Jungle, maybe Curious George.  Maybe I need to find an "appropriate" magistrate. I guess that I'll just let George of the Jungle let me know if the magistrate is appropriate.

If I want to defend my neighbor then this is my right, but if someone (the government) takes the collectivist notion that it is okay to take someone's wealth (in taxes) and use it to support their war (for the greater good of society of course Grin) then we need to be careful who's interest the war is in.  A war can take billions of dollars to execute.  Is taking billions of dollars from the innocent of this country a "just" thing? Should I endorse one injustice under the guise of protecting against another?  Maybe I should fight for my neighbor to protect him against this theft of property to support a war?  If a war is not in the interest of our country, then the confiscation of money by the government of our country to support the war is wrong, wrong, wrong (oh by the way did I say that it was WRONG yet), however that said our individual right to support a war effort should still remain.

I don't want to make the decision that it is okay to commit a crime against one individual to supposedly protect another. Chuck Colson refers to a "Just War", I wonder if he believes that there is also "just stealing", "just lying", "just adultery", etc. (for the greater good of course).  When we have to ask ourselves if the end justifies the means, then we should take real pause in what we are embarking on.

Yes, I will stand up to protect my neighbor, however I don't think that it would be "just" for me to steal an old lady's purse to get the money to pay for a gun to help me do this.

Okay, it looks like I am beginning to ramble on, and I will stop before I sound too much like a "peacenik".  I do actually believe in a strong military, despite what this message may look like.

Retread (in a Huh Angry Cry mood, but still Smiley in Jesus)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2003, 07:49:35 am by retread » Logged
editor
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2003, 09:13:30 am »

Hi Retread  Smiley

Excellent reasoning below.

In your thoughts below, you imply he problem with the "war" in Iraq very well.  

Is Iraq a threat to the safety and security of the American people?

I say yes, but only in an indirect way.  As I have stated before, Islam qualifies as an enemy, and Iraq only as it aids and abets Islam by giving weapons, money, shelter and training to terrorists.

Iraq is definitely a threat to its neighbors, as any Kuwaiti will tell you.  However, they aren't doing too much about it, we are!  This aspect of the "war" really makes not much sense, as you so well discibed.

However, if we look at radical Islam as the enemy, which is correct, then Iraq is a target far down the list when compared to Iran, Saudi Arabia, Libya and some others.

Taking out Sadaam is not going to accomplish much.  I hope it will be slightly helpful, but I fear it will only spend what little goodwill we have with other nations.

Massive nuclear destruction of the heart of Islam, however, would do a great deal of good.  Islam, and the terrorists associated with it, is a true threat to America.

If only we had leadership that could articulate things clearly, and had the guts to say the truth, even though a minority in the press would squawk about it!  I mean, if people are going to hate us, we might as well teach them to respect us.

Bottom line, I am not "for" the war in Iraq, except that it lead to bolder action in the region.  Since I know better, I guess I have to come out against it, even though I think Sadaam is a wicked man.  It should be the responsibility of the Iraqis to liberate themselves.

Brent
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: