AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 04:22:52 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom and me...  (Read 7588 times)
al Hartman

Email
« on: February 19, 2003, 03:57:03 am »

Tom and me...

Having just read Tom Maddux's  Feb. 17th post to the "SELAH" thread, i am reminded of an anecdote i'd like to share from our past.  It seems better posted here than with the SELAH entries:

Tom and i have a long history, beginning with both of us having heard the gospel for the first time in the very same place, on separate occasions.  Tom enlisted in the U.S.Air Force in 1959, and went from L.A. to San Antonio, TX for basic training.  On his one-and-only daytime pass to leave the base and visit town, he wandered into a Christian Servicemen's Center, where someone told him about Jesus Christ.  About a year-and-a-half later, in 1961, i enlisted in the Air Force in Ohio, went to the same training facility, and had the same gospel experience at the same location.

We first met each other years later, as civilians, in Glendale, CA, after which we closely interacted for about a dozen years.  We and our families shared a deep love, while Tom and i managed to simultaneously be the bane of one-another's existence on numerous occasions.  Have you ever heard the allegory of God's placing certain of his people, as if we were gemstones, into a tumbler for a prolonged time so that we would knock off the "rough edges" from each other?  That was brothers Tom and al.

On one of those rough-edged occasions, Tom and i had a very energetic disagreement (i don't remember the subject, and i doubt he does either).  i actually made Tom so angry that he told me it was all he could do to keep from punching me in the nose.  i wasn't quite as angry, and besides i was taking into account that Tom was older, bigger and stronger than i, so i diplomatically stated, "i never hit a man wearing glasses."  
     Without hesitation, Tom removed his glasses and glared at me, silently daring me to take a poke at him.  Whereupon i immediately put on my sunglasses and repeated, "i never hit a man, wearing glasses."
     With jaws clenched, Tom replied, "I'm not wearing glasses!"  Then he realized that i was now wearing glasses; my double entendre registered, and we both broke out in hysterical laughter, defusing the situation.

Can you draw a spiritual application from that?  i don't know, but i still find it amusing after over 30 years.

Tom Maddux is a wise and good man who has experienced personal destruction and restoration.  He is a faithful servant of Christ.  When he speaks (or posts) you will do well to pay attention.

Because of Christ's love,
brother al

Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 07:10:03 am »

I remember once a couple of brothers and I were in
the car, with Tom Maddux driving. We were talking and the
radio was on. Suddenly the most beautiful harp music came on the radio. "Where'd that come from?" I asked. Tom turned and calmly said "Oh, I lost control of the car and went off the road a ways back".  We all looked at Tom for a serious second, with the harp music continuing to play in the background, then we all burst out laughing. It 's things like that that I remember for some reason. I guess you had to be there---but it was hilarious. Just thought I'd share that.     --Joe
Oscar

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 11:21:13 am »

OK, OK,

So I might have learned a thing or two since those days.

However, Al, if this Tom guy bothers you any more send him around to my house and I'll punch him in the nose.

Tom Maddux
editor
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 08:34:32 pm »

I may have numerous signed statements that confirm that Tom has thought violent thoughts towards his brethren, especially Assembly leadership. Wink Wink

I am sure that his desire to punch people in the nose is not isolated to this one instance. Grin

Tom is a violent man, who threatens people who wear glasses, and as such is not fit to be a leading brother in the Assemblies.

Tom Maddux, I call on you to step down as leading brother!

.....Ooops, ahhh, he already did so 10 years ago..... Embarrassed Embarrassed

Tom, if you found grace and healing after you "stepped down," do you think it is possible for Mike Zach and Tim G to do the same?

Brent  (In a strange frame of mind, perhaps I should be careful about posting today.  I never post to someone who is wearing glasses...)
Bluejay

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2003, 12:03:30 am »

Perhaps if Mike Tyson pulls out of his scheduled fight this weekend with Clifford Etienne, this Tom could jump in and take his place.

In all seriousness though, does anyone truly believe that these yahoos are sorry, other than sorry they got caught???

4Him

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2003, 09:10:35 am »

I remember once...Tom Maddux driving. ...beautiful harp music..."Oh, I lost control of the car and went off the road a ways back"....I guess you had to be there---but it was hilarious.....

I beg to differ!  This story is right up there in contention for "funniest on the BB".  I wasn't there but it is still hilarious.  Grin Grin  Great story Joe and great glimpse into the true "nature" of this Tom Maddux person.  Roll Eyes
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2003, 09:36:34 am »

What you don't seem to realize, Tim, is that Tom REALLY DID lose control and swerve off the road--  

Joe and Tom are posting from WAaaaaaayyyy far away!

al

Sebastian Andrew

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2003, 05:05:57 pm »

Would you suggest I decline if TM ever offers me a Hawaiin Punch?
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2003, 08:39:49 pm »

Sebastian,

That is a situation you will probably never face,

BUT,

at this stage of Brother Tom's life, i'd suggest that you accept WHATEVER he offers you...  GRATEFULLY!!!

al

4Him

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2003, 06:17:16 am »

What you don't seem to realize, Tim, is that Tom REALLY DID lose control and swerve off the road--  Joe and Tom are posting from WAaaaaaayyyy far away!
al

I always thought there was something funny (peculiar) about the posts from those two...  Shocked
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: