AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 02:28:33 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lord's Supper  (Read 16153 times)
vernecarty
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2003, 08:05:51 am »

David was a pathetic little man who beat his wife and daughter. I would expect nothing less out of him.

The bigger issue is the system that was in place that cowed the other men that were present (yes, including my father, who has expressed his regrets). I fully expected someone to snap him like a twig at that moment and there were several men there who were certainly capable of it. After a moment of stunned silence, they turned their backs and continued their conversations.

Scott McCumber

PS - I don't think there are too many Geftakysites, including David, who would presume to lay a hand on me or mine these days. Sprouting to 6' 1", 185 and surviving a dozen barroom brawls (back in the day) would probably be plenty to cause those cowards to give me a wide berth! Grin Grin Grin
Just think about it, there are still some individuals so devoid of shame or conscience that even after all we know, they continue to defend and excuse what was a system of frightful spiritual darkness and depravity.The fact is, I have not been harsh enough in my condemnation of it.
Scott I sometimes hate to admit it but I am a fighter at heart. For what it is worth, if I were present, that outcome would have been different....believe it...
Verne

The more you sweat in practice
The less you bleed in battle...

I don't bleed much...!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 08:12:50 am by vernecarty » Logged
M2
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2003, 08:10:11 am »

I don't continue to post here because I'm bitter or bored. I post because the assembly, with or without George, is dangerous and false.

Amen! This is my motivation as well.
I've enjoyed the discussion on this thread.

Lord bless,
Marcia
vernecarty
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2003, 08:16:11 am »

I don't continue to post here because I'm bitter or bored. I post because the assembly, with or without George, is dangerous and false.

Amen! This is my motivation as well.
I've enjoyed the discussion on this thread.

Lord bless,
Marcia
Several months ago I predicted that there would be those who would openly start to defend and justify that system. It really is astonishing to see the apologists at work. This is evil at its ugliest- when it attempts to present itself as good...they should be given no quarter...
Verne
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 08:18:40 am by vernecarty » Logged
brian

Email
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2003, 10:40:14 am »

In the NT, the apostle Paul told Timothy to "rebuke with all authority".  Since GG believed that he had apostolic authority, the workers were apostolic delegates like Timothy.

Also, that was the basis for GG's appointing the leadership in all assemblies.  Remember, he instructed Timothy to "ordain elders in every city".

so george was a paul and a timothy (and david moses abraham jacob and all the other 'good' guys) all wrapped into one. obviously.  Roll Eyes

The one occasion that I recall of a brother being acutally told to sit down was when Mike Houk was interrupted by Cecil Smith toward the very end.

i was at that meeting. for the sake of historical accuracy: it must have taken place in 1991 or 1992. the tuscola assembly officially disbanded and started meeting in charleston just a couple years ago. from the somewhat limited perspective of a teenager, it appeared as a kind of struggle for power. since that was the sunday it was to be announced that he was no longer a leading brother (over some doctrinal issues), he wasn't 'supposed' to be preaching. mike stood up, and before he could say a word, cecil told him firmly to sit down. so in this case, it wasn't what he was saying directly that was being corrected. another fellow from oakland had gotten up before mike to preach against what was happening to mike, although he didn't mention names. nobody interrupted him. after the announcement that mike was being stepped down as leading brother, everyone from oakland sided with mike and started meeting on their own.

brian
vernecarty
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2003, 04:26:22 pm »

i was at that meeting. for the sake of historical accuracy: it must have taken place in 1991 or 1992. the tuscola assembly officially disbanded and started meeting in charleston just a couple years ago. from the somewhat limited perspective of a teenager, it appeared as a kind of struggle for power. since that was the sunday it was to be announced that he was no longer a leading brother (over some doctrinal issues), he wasn't 'supposed' to be preaching. mike stood up, and before he could say a word, cecil told him firmly to sit down. so in this case, it wasn't what he was saying directly that was being corrected. another fellow from oakland had gotten up before mike to preach against what was happening to mike, although he didn't mention names. nobody interrupted him. after the announcement that mike was being stepped down as leading brother, everyone from oakland sided with mike and started meeting on their own.

brian

Thanks for the correction Brian. I was under the impression that most of the regular leadership left after the incident with Mike Houk. I know they continued to meet for some time but what was left was nothing but an empty shell. Do you know for certain if the McCumbers , Fredricks and Matthiases left at the time the Oaklnand saints departed?
Verne
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2003, 05:22:07 pm »

Thanks for the correction Brian. I was under the impression that most of the regular leadership left after the incident with Mike Houk. I know they continued to meet for some time but what was left was nothing but an empty shell. Do you know for certain if the McCumbers , Fredricks and Matthiases left at the time the Oaklnand saints departed?
Verne

Verne,

I know for certain the first group left several years before the Oakland saints ca. 1988. The split between Mike and Cecil came several years later. There really wasn't much a Tuscola assembly after that - not that there was much left after the first exodus in 88.

Hope that helps.

Scott
vernecarty
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2003, 05:37:36 pm »

Of course I now remember. I guess I did not realise that Mike had remained after the first group left. It seems that I left at about the same time that the first group departed (around 89)which was indeed the way I recalled. Thanks!
Verne
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: