AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 12:44:06 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptism  (Read 6508 times)
Ken Fuller

Email
« on: February 06, 2003, 05:12:51 am »

Let's disturb another hornet's nest ....

When should a believing child be baptised?
Rudy

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 06:15:05 am »

Define "child".

Can it walk and talk ?
Can you over a course of time question
your child about Jesus and the sacrifice ?
If you can't do either, your child cannot
be baptized. If you disagree, then there
may be some residual "main stream"
doctine in your thinking. There is only a
baptism of believers - not just adults, but
even those that Jesus recieved to sit on
His lap. The children knew - a "candidate"
must be able to confess the Lorship of
Christ in their lives. That isn't the trite speak
we always hear, but full acknowledgement
of The Lord Jesus in their lives as LORD.
lenore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 06:43:05 am »

:)JULY 6: 9:44 PM:

BAPTISM FOR A CHILD:

My Sara , now age 17 years.

Followed Jesus into the waters of baptism, at the age of 8:
Actually one day after her 8th birthday.

December 18, 1994.

She witnessed another child being baptist, Easter of '97
that day she asked the Lord to come into her heart.
She was not even 7 at the time.

The fall before her baptism, our church announced that anyone who wanted to be baptized, was to let the Pastor know.

That winter, along with Sara , there was a number of baptisms. Including one other child who was only 7 at the time.
Many of the baptisms were of new Christians walking with Jesus , but were on fire for Jesus.

To answer your question:

A child is old enough to follow Jesus in the waters of Baptism, only after they receive the Lord Jesus as Saviour.

The congregation has a part to play too.
A part that is often neglected afterwards.
Two times a congregation is ask to be involved in helping support in walking with the Saviour is :
Child Dedication and at a Baptism:
The congregation is asked to support the individual in their walk.
After all it takes a village to raise a child.
When a child is Baptized because God is leading this little tender one. Then it is up to Christians in the congregation to walk beside that Child and make sure that they are being taught a solid foundation.
Come along side the parents as well.
This part is vowed upon and quickly forgotten I am afraid.

I recently gave Sara her baptism certificate that was given to her by my church, at the age of 8.
Sara in her teen years have journey the prodigal road, but there is still a strong foundation in her spirit that is keeping her with Him.

Any child is eager to be Baptized , Dont discourage them. How do we know it is not God telling them too.

jloadams

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 09:36:56 pm »

I was baptized when I was 11 years old.  The previous year had been a very difficult one for my family and I had grown exponentially in my faith and understanding of God.  I was ready to make a public statement to that effect.  Twenty-five years later, I still feel that it was the perfect time for me.

I don't believe there is a special age that is appropriate across the board.  I believe a parent or pastor should be able to decern in conversation with and by observation of the child as to the level of understanding he or she has.  

Baptism isn't saying that we've reached some special height of spirituality but rather a public statement of an internal reality-salvation.  We've died with Christ, been resurrected with Christ and now live in and for Christ.

God bless,

Janet

outdeep

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 10:35:50 pm »

All my children asked to be baptised when they were very young.  They would see others being baptised and, of course, not want to be left out.

I would tell them that they could be baptised when they could talk to the pastor on their own and arranged it.  This would put it off for a few years until they were mature enough to be able to do this.  

One of the things I dislike (though I am in the minority on this) is when they have a baptism with very small children and the children cannot articulate why they are saved.  It goes something like this:

Pastor:  And this is Meagan.  Can you say hello Meagan?
Meagan:  Looks away shyly.
Pastor: And, Meagan, did you receive Jesus Christ to be your Lord and Savior?
Meagan: Yeah (giggle).
Pastor:  And because you have done this, do you know where you are going to go?
Meagan:  Uhhhh  heaven?
etc.

My personal feeling is that when a child is old enough to articulate a testimony and to arrange his/her own baptism with the pastor, then they are old enough to be baptised.  Until then, it is more for the parent than for the child.

Unless you believe in baptismal regeneration, there is no hurry to get a child baptised.
lenore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 07:46:51 am »

:)July 21st at 10:52 pm

The Subject of Baptism, from the book The Tales of the Tardy Oxcart.
Author: Charles Swindoll.

"Words that Philip Henry, father of Matthew Henry, wrote for his children became their baptismal statements.

I take God to be my chief end and highest good.
I take God the Son be be my prince and Saviour.
I take God the Holy Spirit to be my sanctifier, teacher, guide and comforter.
I take the Word of God to be my role in all my actions and the people of God to be my people under all conditions.
I do hereby dedicate and devote to the Lord all that I am, all that I have, and all I can do.
And this I do deliberate, freely and forever.""

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: