AssemblyBoard
April 18, 2024, 05:38:26 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taboos as an AK  (Read 56712 times)
shinchy

Email
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2004, 09:44:18 am »

AKs were taught that God is harsh and demanding and there is no joy in a relationship with him until his return - and then only if you have lived a life of hardship and denial - and then only if you enjoy sitting in meetings because that is the same type of activity we will be performing in eternity.

While I'm not an AK, I can't help but chime in.  I remember GG saying many times that the extent to which we enjoy God today will be the extent to which we will enjoy eternity.  

Let's see, heaven or hell.........hmmmmmmmmmm....... Roll Eyes Grin

Jack

I remember GG exhorting us one afternoon. He said he had heard people complaining about the number of meetings and length of the meetings (I'm sure he did not hear this, he set it up himself).

He said if we don't enjoy it now what are we going to do in heaven?

"What do you think we're going to be doing in heaven, dear ones? This! This is what we'll be doing for all eternity!"

It was one of the most depressing moments of my life. Tongue

S

I wasn't an AK but I remember hearing that a few times live (when in Fullerton) and tape. Eternal meetings were not what I envisioned heaven/eternity to be.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but enjoying the company of people you love and getting to enjoy the beauty God created forever is more my idea of eternity. Listening to an arrogant plagiarist, embezzler, and adulterer isn't.

I can never forget the times during the afternoon parts of the seminars where everyone was groggy after lunch and endured the lectures with that mindset. One time I took a nap after lunch in my car and missed pre-prayer. Bad me.
d3z

Email
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2004, 09:55:26 am »

I can never forget the times during the afternoon parts of the seminars where everyone was groggy after lunch and endured the lectures with that mindset. One time I took a nap after lunch in my car and missed pre-prayer. Bad me.

One time (or maybe more than one), decided to take a small drive during the break between lectures, just to kind of get away from things.  After I ended up in LA, I decided to turn back.  I missed most of the lecture, but don't really think I missed much.

Dave
shinchy

Email
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2004, 11:05:24 am »

One time (or maybe more than one), decided to take a small drive during the break between lectures, just to kind of get away from things.  After I ended up in LA, I decided to turn back.  I missed most of the lecture, but don't really think I missed much.

Dave

Maybe that's why I worked at Lucky's for so long (I hated the place and the management but liked my coworkers). I was always bolting from meeting or something because there would be Sunday worship and evening work. I had an excuse to get away even though one of the leading brothers would eventually put pressure on me to quit and find employment that would not interfere with the meetings. I didn't and worked there until it converted to Albertson's. Then I quit because they became unbearable to work for, especially during the transition period.
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2004, 01:31:05 am »

On a total tangent, I just had a physics midterm a couple days ago in Lincoln Hall Theater here at UIUC from 9pm-11pm (its where the midwest seminar lectures were always given).  I found it quite ironic that I was once again forced to sit through something I didn't enjoy, in a location with a history of the same, at such an arcane hour of the night (anyone remember the stupid sunday night lectures? ugh, they were horrible Wink), with ~450 other people who felt the same way.  

But getting back to the point of this thread Roll Eyes, I got to give props to Scott on his list, it's amazingly accurate.

--
lucas
d3z

Email
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2004, 05:56:51 am »

I found it quite ironic that I was once again forced to sit through something I didn't enjoy, in a location with a history of the same, at such an arcane hour of the night (anyone remember the stupid sunday night lectures? ugh, they were horrible Wink), with ~450 other people who felt the same way.  

Often the Sunday evening lecture would be quite sparse, even on the west coast.  At least those, with the excuse of travel, would go back.  I also did a few times, myself.
Arthur
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2004, 10:42:30 am »

On a total tangent, I just had a physics midterm a couple days ago in Lincoln Hall Theater here at UIUC from 9pm-11pm (its where the midwest seminar lectures were always given).  I found it quite ironic that I was once again forced to sit through something I didn't enjoy, in a location with a history of the same, at such an arcane hour of the night (anyone remember the stupid sunday night lectures? ugh, they were horrible Wink), with ~450 other people who felt the same way.  

So glad I'm not in school anymore.  Smiley
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2004, 08:47:44 pm »

So glad I'm not in school anymore.  Smiley

Well, I'm in for the long haul Sad

I have another 4-4.5 years for my undergrad degrees, and most likely a bit more after that for a doctorate

--
lucas
MagicOPromotion

Email
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2009, 05:06:41 pm »

lol, arent you the one that disallowed people from submitting Usopp dressed as a woman to UK-D? hehe :laugh:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: