AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 05:03:07 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Santa Barbara and the Work: Why I left - Melany Miners  (Read 8349 times)
Melany

Email
« on: February 01, 2003, 01:00:49 am »

First, it is SO good to reconnect with all of you who I have missed these last 7 years. I love reading all of your stories, it validates my leaving the Santa Barbara assembly back in May 1996, not that I need more validation than the reasons I had at the time I left, though!!  I don't know how to be brief about it, as there are so many reasons why I left.  

Maybe I should have gotten a clue the first time I ever had the *privilege* to meet with Betty, when she opened the word up with me and turned to Eccl 7:26:  "I again saw more bitter than death the woman whose heart is nets and snares and whose hands are chains.  One who is pleasing to God will escape from her, but the sinner will be enticed by her." I guess she was putting me in my place right from the beginning, and I learned my place well, and stayed in it for 11 years (I do take responsibility for choosing to stay that long, there were good things there that justified my staying and made it hard to leave.)

In the last 4 or 5 years of my involvement, I began to attend Workers Meetings.  I had expected much joy and light in those meetings, but became more and more concerned about what happened in those meetings.  I questioned some of these things and was told:  "Just keep walking with the Lord, sister, the Lord will give you understanding." I heard the fatigue and discouragement among the workers and this concerned me.  I remember at a Worker's Conference talking to Scott Testa and expressing my dismay at the lack of connection I often felt there.  He agreed and just said we were privileged to be there and it was the way of the cross.  I had always loved to share Christ with others, but I began to get uncomfortable on outreach, going witnessing with some brothers who just seemed to be "hitting people over the head with the Bible" and not showing a care for the people we were talking to.  The wonderful women I discipled got offended quickly with the treatment they witnessed there and only one ever came into fellowship - what kind of fruit was that?  I felt like I had to protect them from the things we taught!  I began to wonder why I was still there since I didn't feel comfortable inviting others out.  

I also felt like I was getting "swatted" alot, yet on my job, I was getting promoted and recognized for my abilities and strengths.  When I was promoted to management, Scott told me that since I was a sister and supposed to be in submission that I probably shouldn't take this job as I would be "giving direction" and might begin to despise the direction of the brethren, but I felt that it would give me more appreciation of the brothers and their "role".  

I moved out on my own my last six months in fellowship with a heart to serve in a greater capacity and increase my contribution, first with the agreement of the brothers, and then all of a sudden the LBs met with me and told me that they thought I was wanting to be on my own because I was struggling and not having a good attitude.

Others began to suggest I was going to leave fellowship, but the thought had never occurred to me and I was shocked that they had so little trust.  I honestly thought my attitude was just fine, having recently regained my health (so many women seem to contract debilitating conditions in fellowship, hm).  My health had broken and I was told this was spiritual, but to me it just seemed unhealthy, and yet I was told once I got better that it would be better to lose my health again than miss a meeting against the brothers' direction (paraphrased, but I accurately remember this being told to me by DG).   I became aware of how many of the saints kept talking about how they felt that they were "terrible sinners (failure and messes) constantly in need of God's grace, and it didn't sound like they were walking in liberty (of course we all need God's grace, but the constant groveling seemed like they never quite felt the freedom they were searching for).  I was told, too, that the only people who love you are in fellowship because it is a spiritual love the people of the world don'respect and kindness from those of "the world".  There were times I felt led by the Lord to do something and then was made to feel guilty about it, even helping a friend who thought she was dying during what happened to be a Sunday meeting, or helping coach the delivery of a child that happened to start labor during a prayer meeting.

One Sunday in May 1996, I heard a voice tell me that that would be my last Sunday.  I accepted it, feeling covered with grace and peace, and after I told Wes a few days later that I was leaving fellowship, I felt free like I'd been released from a prison - it was exquisite.  Wes told me he was praying for my repentance, but when I asked him what my sin was, he quoted Fenelon, not the Bible.  I knew he was just a channel for George.  At our last meeting together, there was no gratitude for years of faithful service, just an emotional spanking.  Good riddance.  That night I asked God, "Now what do You want me to do?" He answered so clearly, "What do YOU want to do?"  I burst into tears, I don't remember being asked that before.   -Melany Miners

PS:  My own faith has grown since leaving GG's ministry and the evidence of God's clear leading and protection has been undeniable and liberating.  How can we miss out on His "umbrella of protection" when he has called us His own.  Trust Him, walk in faith and listen to that still small voice in your heart.  I'd love to hear from anyone who knows what I'm talking about, feel free to write.  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2003, 02:31:48 am by Melany Miners » Logged
Susan McCarthy

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 05:14:11 am »

Melany, thank you for sharing your story.  You were one of the few people that visited me after we left the assembly and in the months following Tom's death.

Since then, we've shared the positive lessons God taught us while in the assembly, and the joy and freedom of being delivered from a legalistic system.  I am looking forward to many more years of friendship with you "on the journey."
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 06:38:32 am »

Dear Melany
  Your story was very moving and has such a strong component of encouragement as well. Smiley
   I was forced out of the Valley Assem. back in 91 when I began to hear the same voice that you did.  It was the voice of the Shepherd whose sheep hear his voice and follow him.
  One incident that the Lord used to open my eyes showed me how the Assembly value's and God's were not the same.  I was eating lunch at a counter in a restaurant and trying to prepare for my chapter summary when an old man sat down next to me.  The old man started to pour out his heart to me that was weighed down with a huge list of grief.  I was bugged by this man as I didn't want my attention divided from my "priorities".  He told of his open heart surgery, his wife's recent death, her joining the JW's before her death and locking him out of the house, his daughter's lesbianism and hatred of him, etc.! Cry
   God spoke through that man's tears!  I was so concerned with my chapter summary that I couldn't be bothered with the needs of a man who came to me because he saw my Bible!  He told me, " I don't know why I'm telling you all of this; I never talk to strangers!"  I put my summary aside and gave him my full attention.
   That night I shared the experience at the Bible study thinking that other's would enjoy hearing about the importance of individuals vs. meetings only to be exhorted by a Bro. that, "we don't want the Saint's to get the idea that talking with people in restaurants is more important than the meetings."  "The Testimony" was the meeting and individual's were possible distractions from the same!
  That experience was when I first began to see that God and the Assembly were not the same entity, and that possibly they were opposed.
                                    God Bless,  Mark C.
rebecca martinez

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 08:57:17 pm »

Dear Melany,
     I was sad to hear of your negative experiences.  I am still in fellowship in Omaha and am still loving God's people and growing with them.  We have all been repenting of the sins of how we were affected by George's sins.  We are repenting of superiority, of presuming to know the will of God for others and for legalism and lack of care at times.  We are seeing a renewed sense of expectation and joy.  We are glad that the Lord has exposed the sins of George and of their effects and are believing God to do a new work.
     I just wanted to tell you that I love you and think of you and wonder how you are doing.  Are you still single?  I am.  I am still trusting the Lord for that one.  My regular e-mail is rjmartinez5@juno.com if you want to get a hold of me.  I am in Rochester, MN this week helping Jeanie M. who is in the hospital up here.  Lord bless you!
                                                           Your sister, Rebecca
Melany

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 12:03:11 am »

Hi Rebecca!  I love you, too!!  I often think of the incredible experience we had in Tahiti so many years ago, I’m so glad we did that.  It’s good to hear that you are loving and growing in the place you are at, I think that is the highest calling.  Unfortunately, when I left, as I saw the need for repentance in those areas you mentioned, I didn’t get the support I needed at the time.  It was a hard decision to leave my family of 11 years, but it enabled me to be able to grow and love in the places where God has since brought me. He has guided me all along, though not into marriage either yet, but He has compensated that with deep satisfaction and contentment.  Sorry to hear that Jeanie is in the hospital, I know there were others on this site who were wondering how her and Howard are doing.  I look forward to talking to you further.   -Melany  
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: