AssemblyBoard
April 26, 2024, 12:23:45 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Back to the Book of Acts  (Read 6458 times)
AaronC

Email
« on: January 31, 2003, 05:02:00 am »

WHY I THINK ACTS REALLY MATTERS

In the assembly, it seems as if we had "the cart before the horse" in having doctrine, felowship, breaking bread, and prayer the Achor Group focus.  Rather than being reasons for the success of the early church, these 4 areas were spontaneous responses from grateful hearts.

I challenge all reading this to read the sermons in Acts and see their focus.  2:14,  3:16, 4:8, 5:30, 6-7 (Stephen's trial and sermon), 8 (Phillip shows the Ethiopian eunuch Christ in Isaiah), 9 (Paul sees Christ on the road to Damascus), 10:34-44,  13:15-39, 16:31, 17:3 19:4, 22-26 (Paul preaches Christ).  

Every time the men in Acts stood to preach THEY PREACHED THE GLORIES OF CHRIST.  If any could glory in themselves and their peculiar way, it was them.  But they didn't.

Has anyone ever noticed that Acts 2:42 (the Achor Group verse) can only be understood in terms of the verses that proceed it?  From 2:14 to 2:40, Peter preaches a barn burner about Christ in Joel, Ezek, and the Psalms.  Only then do the 3000 "continue steadfastly" in their new faith.  

And have you noticed what the Bible says about "heavenly vision"?  First, that phrase is found in Acts 26:19 and speaks specifically and only of Christ's glory and majesty.  To co-opt it, twist it, and make it to mean something it doesn't is to commit a great sin.  George did this and his leadership tried to keep his error afloat in the various assemblies.

The heavenly vision of the Bible is Christ...Not a secret-decoder-ring, I know-something-you-don't know, gnostic Christ, but the very same One that appears in all of the 66 books of the Bible.  In the Book of Acts, no one wondered whether he understood the vision.  Then there was no need to wonder what the vision was.  It filled the sky "brighter than the noonday sun" and lives were changed.  Sinners were made saints and saints were made pilgrims.  

It's the same today.  When we see Christ as the point of the Bible and our object of worship all smallness of life melts away "...and hearts are brave again and arms are strong."  

I was wondering if anyone has noticed all of this.

And could we start a thread about all of the types and antetypes of Jesus?  I think seeing Him is the answer that we all need.

Aaron Cantrell
Tim

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2003, 05:25:46 am »

That is excellent stuff to chew on.  We talk about Christ being the center and the head...obviously we were off some more often and in more ways than other, I'm sure.  (Let's not debate that, everyone has their own opinion and only the Lord knows the truth of it.)  I'm glad that you have some good ideas and things to consider to give direction toward something (Someone).  This is what we need.

In the same vein, I have been thinking about Phil 4 where everything is 'in the Lord' one mind, rejoice, peace...all in the Lord.

Oops this thread is about Acts, sorry to get us off so early.
H

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 03:47:56 am »

Dear Aaron,
thanks for that excellent post! I really like your emphasis on "Christ's glory and majesty." Like you said, "The heavenly vision of the Bible is Christ" and "When we see Christ as the point of the Bible and our object of worship all smallness of life melts away."  Keep up the good work!
Love in Christ,
H

editor
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2003, 12:35:20 am »

Excellent last 3 posts.

One thing I would like to add, and this is directed towards what Tim said:

We do need to debate things, and examine where we were off.  This is what healthy Christians do.  

One of the most pernicious teachings in the Assembly is embodied in the phrase, "You don't need to know the details,"  and another, "We don't fellowhsip doctrine, we fellowship Christ."

Both of the above statements can be true.  The question is, when?

When a brother is in the hospital for prostate surgury, many of the details of the procedure are not required.  

However, when a "brother" turns out to be a false brother, armed with thirty years of false teaching, details are very important.  (The Devil is in the details.)  In the case, we would all do well to examine carefully the details of what we were involved in, and just how it all unfolded.  If we do not, we will repeat the same mistake, as many have.  Test all things, hold fast to that which is good.  (details here)

Also, when it comes to doctrine,  (Book of Acts thread)  it is very healthy to learn sound doctrine.  We DO fellowship doctrine, because sound doctrine is Christ and Him crucified!  Can you fellowship Christ with a JW?  Of course not, because of  doctrinal differences!

Tim, this is not to jump on you, or to put you in your place at all, but to help you and many others recover from your Assembly years.

Yes, I said recover.  I chose the word carefully.  I can think of no other more healty discussion than Christ in the scriptures!  That is a doctrinal discussion!

Brent
Arthur
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2003, 09:56:11 am »

When a brother is in the hospital for prostate surgury, many of the details of the procedure are not required.  

lol, um...good example.  Grin  but how about where you're going for a walk?  Wink
lenore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 08:32:03 am »

WHY I THINK ACTS REALLY MATTERS

In the assembly, it seems as if we had "the cart before the horse" in having doctrine, felowship, breaking bread, and prayer the Achor Group focus.  Rather than being reasons for the success of the early church, these 4 areas were spontaneous responses from grateful hearts.

I challenge all reading this to read the sermons in Acts and see their focus.  2:14,  3:16, 4:8, 5:30, 6-7 (Stephen's trial and sermon), 8 (Phillip shows the Ethiopian eunuch Christ in Isaiah), 9 (Paul sees Christ on the road to Damascus), 10:34-44,  13:15-39, 16:31, 17:3 19:4, 22-26 (Paul preaches Christ).  

Every time the men in Acts stood to preach THEY PREACHED THE GLORIES OF CHRIST.  If any could glory in themselves and their peculiar way, it was them.  But they didn't.

Has anyone ever noticed that Acts 2:42 (the Achor Group verse) can only be understood in terms of the verses that proceed it?  From 2:14 to 2:40, Peter preaches a barn burner about Christ in Joel, Ezek, and the Psalms.  Only then do the 3000 "continue steadfastly" in their new faith.  

And have you noticed what the Bible says about "heavenly vision"?  First, that phrase is found in Acts 26:19 and speaks specifically and only of Christ's glory and majesty.  To co-opt it, twist it, and make it to mean something it doesn't is to commit a great sin.  George did this and his leadership tried to keep his error afloat in the various assemblies.

The heavenly vision of the Bible is Christ...Not a secret-decoder-ring, I know-something-you-don't know, gnostic Christ, but the very same One that appears in all of the 66 books of the Bible.  In the Book of Acts, no one wondered whether he understood the vision.  Then there was no need to wonder what the vision was.  It filled the sky "brighter than the noonday sun" and lives were changed.  Sinners were made saints and saints were made pilgrims.  

It's the same today.  When we see Christ as the point of the Bible and our object of worship all smallness of life melts away "...and hearts are brave again and arms are strong."  

I was wondering if anyone has noticed all of this.

And could we start a thread about all of the types and antetypes of Jesus?  I think seeing Him is the answer that we all need.

Aaron Cantrell

JUNE 22: 11:32 PM:

Just found this post: What a great post and discussion after wards.

Stephen is one of my hero's of the book of Acts.

I agree with you. I think we forget who is suppose to be the center of everything we do.
Stephen was one of the deacon choosen to care for the certain groups of Jewish widows and the poor.
Stephen was also the first martyr.
Stephen response as they were executing him, was the same response that Jesus did, when he was being executed.  
Acts 7: 60 (NKJV):
Then he knelt down adn cried out with a loud voice:
"Lord, do not charge them with this sin."
And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

It was also their we heard of "Saul" prior to being "Paul".

There are many lesson here with the story of Stephen.
Many lesson I probably would of failed over and over again. but Stephen focus is life upon Jesus, and nothing else matter. And Stephen gave his life up to the hands.
One verse I like:
Acts 7: 55-56: (NKJV)
But he "being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. and said "LOOK!, I see the heavens opened and the "Son of Man" standing at the right hand of God.

In most verses you read of Jesus sitting at the right hand of God.
Here you read JESUS WAS STANDING

This is a picture I take away from this chapter each time I read about Stephen.
Stephen gave his life for the  standing up for the gospel of Jesus, Jesus was standing to receive Jesus.

Lenore
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: