AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 10:26:02 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of Control Leadership  (Read 3768 times)
MichelleDJ

Email
« on: January 31, 2003, 12:14:47 am »

I was completely amazed at the sermon my pastor preached on Sunday.  It was really cool, because I'd just found this web site on the previous - what, Wednesday, Thursday? - and then he preaches this.

He was preaching on 2Cor 1:24-2:4.  I'm not a big fan of KJV (heretic, I am!) so I'll NIV it here:

Not that we lord it over your faith, but we work with you for your joy, because it is by faith you stand firm. So I made up my mind that I would not make another painful visit to you. For if I grieve you, who is left to make me glad but you whom I have grieved? I wrote as I did so that when I came I should not be distressed by those who ought to make me rejoice. I had confidence in all of you, that you would all share my joy. For I wrote you out of great distress and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to grieve you but to let you know the depth of my love for you.

I made notes all over my bulletin (heretic!) and I will be receiving a tape of the sermon soon.  I was blown away.

Some of my notes:

• People are not called to live by the whim and will of their leader - they will become mean.
  • Pastoral authority is limited to ministerial and declarative means - Ministering with the gospel and declaring the gospel.
  • What is the motive or motivation for being a leader?  If it's other than having your flock walking in loving obedience to Jesus Christ, then it's wrong.
  • A gospel minister is recognized by his joy and tears and what brings them.
  • A gospel minister is recognized by what makes him joyful.  Is your pastor made joyous by ego-feeding behavior, or when his flock forgets about him and follows Jesus?
  • Paul demonstrates the love for his people and earned his authority by showing the depths of his brokenness and he learned this from the master - literally - Jesus Christ.
  • There is no joy when one is living by lies - they become miserable people.
  • "False ideas are treasured things - and die slowly."
  • True believers will risk the ire of the other person in order to lead them to truth and joy.
Note:  "We work with you for your joy, because it is by faith you stand firm."

My pastor also commented that several years ago there was a young man who came to Covenant Pres one Sunday with a friend.  He expressed his concern to the pastor, and he would be in Big Trouble if anyone from his "church" caught him attending another church.  My pastor commented to him that he was safe, for two reasons.  First, Jesus stands with him - and second, that if another member of his "church" caught him, he would obviously be doing the same thing - attending Covenant!

My pastor went on to say that this young man continued attending his "church," became very depressed and miserable, and tried to commit suicide.  The intervention of family and professionals allowed him to "escape" his "church" and he gradually became joyful and hopeful again.  The "cult-like organization" he was involved in, in the name of Jesus Christ, was a jail sentence.

I was in tears, thinking of Assembly and ex-Assembly members.

I'd be curious to hear what others have to say.

edited because i can't write and proof at the same time
« Last Edit: February 01, 2003, 06:05:41 pm by MichelleDJ » Logged
lenore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 09:30:09 am »

Cheesy: Hello Michelle:

Thank you for sharing , this experience and insight with us all.

It was very profound, and the story the pastor told, of the  church associate, is common, and should be addressed.

I thank you for your courage. to bring this to the BB attention.

Thank you.

Lenore.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: