AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 11:18:05 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Predictions, the Future of the Assembly  (Read 7717 times)
A Voice of Concern

Email
« on: January 30, 2003, 08:57:29 am »

Now that Bro George has been exposed, I predict that things will basically continue on as usual in the various lodges once the dust settles.  It is a hard thing for people to realize and admit that what they have been doing and believing for so long was so tainted by the evil one.  When you think the light in you isn't darkness, how great is that darkness!  The Assembly likes to boast of its great light so it is no wonder it is difficult to spot the darkness.  

The present problems will be seen as resting in the sins of Brother George, rather than the beliefs and coercive practices that his ministry (not the Lord's) has instilled in its many members, e.g., you need the approval of the leadership to make a decision and so many other regulations that strangle the Spirit by so strictly defining what the will of God is.

Some will leave, but many will stay in the various gatherings because the groups are so socially cohesive and distrustful of "the world" and other churches who supposedly do not have the same light (darkness) that the Assembly has.  Really, what keeps the Assemblies so tight is its spiritual pride:  we have the truth and to leave the Assembly is to leave the covering or blessing of God and settle for something less.  If that something less is freedom in Christ to decide how you will live and believe then what a great freedom!

Perhaps a bit of new wine will be added to the Assemblies now that darkness has come to light, but mark my words:  those who stay in the Assembly will continue putting basically the same wine into the old wineskins, i.e., the group's belief system and practices that are legalistic will continue on as in the past.  "Saints" are used to their structured lifestyle where everything is so clearly labeled black and white.  You don't have to think, just follow the prescribed will of God--the Assembly rules--or you will get "talked to" or "exhorted" by the brethren who take it upon themselves to notice when you are not towing the Assembly line. It will be very difficult for people who are used to living according to the unwritten rules and regulations of the Assembly to start seeking the will of God themselves instead of "seeking counsel" and relying on the decisions of the leadership who supposedly have "the mind of the Lord."  

Even though the head elder (George) has been removed, the body that he played a major hand in indoctrinating will survive in pretty much the same form as it was in the past.  How could the Assembly not survive when it inculcates into people's minds that the Assembly is the best place to be because it has the most light and follows the teachings of the Bible?  The Assembly has to drop this spiritual pride and admit that where two or more are gathered together in the name of Jesus, He is in the midst of you!  Stop running down other churches and comparing yourselves to them!  The Assembly must admit that it is just one of many gathering of Christians around the world, not special or unique like past cults have claimed.

Unless there is an Assembly-wide repentance and people admit that they have helped perpetuate Bro George's authoritarian regime of strictly defining the will of God and “the truth,” not much will change.  Drop this "you must seek counsel" rule and so many of the other rules, whether written or unwritten.  Stop using verses from the Bible to justify the leading brothers rule over their flock's lives.  Encourage people to search the Scriptures to decide what they believe, not what they should believe!

Unless the leadership in the various gatherings encourages people to decide the will of God for themselves, not much will change.  People need to decide the will of God in their own life, instead of all being the same in thought and action.  Unity or finding the mind of the Lord is not conformity to rules or dictates!

I pray that things will change and hope my predictions are wrong.
Railrider

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 09:37:50 am »

Thanks for voiceing your concern, and I couldn't agree more, expect I wouldn't allow George the title of Brother anymore.
And to add my 2 cents: Since most of the people left in the assembly haven't known any other way to do things, or they've forgotten, how likely is it that they will eventually revert back to the old ways (once everything is reconciled and'fixed') , for it says once they've tasted the new wine, they will say, the old is better.  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

After all, how could God be in those 'other' churches? The assembly is 'growing' (8 leave, 5 come in) and that means God is there. Of course! why didnt I think of that!
 Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
4Him

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 09:40:01 am »

Voice,

You had some interesting things to say.  (I do wish you'd ID yourself tho'.) My personal opinion is that what is left will either be greatly diminished or so changed as to not be recognizable.  Your thoughts may be correct but I don't see how any assembly can continue w/the same old delusions.  It's all (well, a lot of it is) out in the open now.  

But, whatever happens, I'm going to be seeking to grow in Christ, to take advantage of this opportunity, to learn to appreciate all of my Christian brethren.  The Lord has had mercy on us.  We have real opportunity to move forward in His great grace.
Aslan213

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 10:31:18 am »

My personal opinion is that what is left will either be greatly diminished or so changed as to not be recognizable.  Your thoughts may be correct but I don't see how any assembly can continue w/the same old delusions.  It's all (well, a lot of it is) out in the open now.

For the most part I agree with you Tim, however there are at least two assemblies out here in California that are not responding to recent events.  From the San Fernando Valley and West L.A. assemblies, to my knowledge, it seems like it's business as usual.  There has not been a willingness to openly discuss these things among God's people.

I would welcome the leaders from both of the assemblies to respond to this and show me how I'm wrong.

Eric
4Him

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 10:44:52 am »

Eric,

Here in the Midwest I don't think any of the assemblies are acting like how you say West LA and SFV are.  Some are sticking together but the attitude is a little different.  I think things are slowly sinking in tho'.  There are some very loving and capable ones in leading capacities in some places.  Change might be possible.  I think, tho' that they all would do well to accept Brent's 6-week challenge.
editor
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 09:14:32 pm »

Here's my prediction for the future.  At least it was a few months ago.

http://geftakysassembly.com/glasnost.html

Brent
David Mauldin
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 09:35:54 pm »

Today there are Christian organizations that specifically go into churches that have experienced the devitations recently taken place.  "Stretcher Bearers" is one in Whittier. Perhaps someone could reffer the assembly?
Rudy

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2003, 01:35:31 am »

Dude,

I remember the time gg came to Hastings once. The pastor of
a local Church of Christ tried to be a "stretcher bearer". Man, did
the "chief shepherd" tear into this poor guy. Of course afterwards
gg did damage control, asked all of us, yes, men and women present,
if he was out of line. Who was going to put him on the spot?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2003, 06:39:57 am by Rudy » Logged
David Mauldin
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2003, 01:48:07 am »

I guess I wa thinking more on the line that fornmer G.G. followers would invite these people to come and help them..
If the leaders are still in controle then there is little hope for healing/change.
Rudy

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2003, 04:22:04 am »

Dave,

persons in or just out of the assembly probably have only the
Chief Shepherd as their helper. Ok, Ok, there's probably ones
that they can turn to. However, to have an "organization" come
in - this isn't Iraq, the UN can't even deal w/ that. Doooh, wait, I'm
not on the Bush website  Wink
David Mauldin
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2003, 12:54:33 am »

A possible scenerio (Of the future of the assembly) is on display today in what is left of the Plymouth Bretheren Assemblies.  Most of these groups are a "Holy club"  made up of mostly people who are related to each other.  They vary in degree of love, enthusiasm etc.  Yet they all have a certain amount of "Exclusivity"  "We are following the Bible according to the "New Testament Pattern"  
Ken Fuller

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2003, 09:19:44 am »

I was thinking today of an anolagy from Jurassic Park.

Remember when the computer was infected with a virus, and the only way to restore it was to shut it down and restart it?

Well, that seems like a fitting comparison.

Things can't keep going without interruption.  What does it mean to "shut down"?

Well, Brent's suggestion is one idea.

My thought at this point -- Question EVERYTHING!!!

All the form, all the habits, all the traditions.  Stop it and re-evaluate.  The Lord's supper, head coverings, bible study format, the 4 'corporate' anchors, brothers preaching, the money, 'workers', leaders, prayer meetings, worship style, stated ministry, outreaches, campus bible study, 'courting'.

I'm not saying it is ALL evil, tainted or wrong.  Some is, some isn't, some may be.

What I am saying is STOP AND SERIOUSLY EVALUATE.  You can't honestly evaluate if the motions are still going on.

Pull the red switch, shut off the power, STOP MEETING LIKE YOU MEET.  Just long enough to seriously evaluate EVERY TRADITION we have formed.

Shut down and reboot, see what comes up.

Okay, this is just an analogy, not any real, practical action suggested.  Partly, because I don't know what action anyone should take.  I don't know if it's God's will for a particular group to continue meeting and another to cease.  I don't know if it's God's will for some to take the 6-week challenge and others not.

I don't know if it's God's will for the leadership to carte-blanche step down (but I do have a STRONG opinion of that).

Hence, simply an analogy.  

TURN IT OFF !!!!!!!  Do a thorough analysis.

See what happens when you flip the switch back on afterwards.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: