AssemblyBoard
April 18, 2024, 11:00:37 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite type of Outreach  (Read 13225 times)
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2003, 08:10:41 pm »

Tom/Stephen---

Thanks for the reminder. I had the good fortune of
being one of the two people who talked to Tom
Ludwig that night.  Despite all of the legalism and
strange things that happened in the Assembly the
Lord still used his Word to save people.

He says he sends out his Word and it will not return
onto him void. We've all seen how powerful that Word
is.

God bless you,  Joe
Matt

Email
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2003, 04:24:29 am »

I think the best outreach was the Mime's ministry with JJ Simmons, Sherry Starr, Dave Brown, and the deaf brothers in our assembly. They were so funny and they related some very powerful messages without having to speak. I'd venture to say that they were better than our assembly's "band" with Gordon Kim and Briant Gibb, but then I could never understand the lyrics to their songs (sorry if you are guys are reading this). I'd also have to give a thumbs up to the food and the Starbucks coffee served there.

I also thought the Polaroid pictures were a clever idea where we would take pictures of couples and then paste a verse on back of the pictures and invite them to the Bible study.
shinchy

Email
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2004, 06:58:55 am »

I think the best outreach was the Mime's ministry with JJ Simmons, Sherry Starr, Dave Brown, and the deaf brothers in our assembly. They were so funny and they related some very powerful messages without having to speak. I'd venture to say that they were better than our assembly's "band" with Gordon Kim and Briant Gibb, but then I could never understand the lyrics to their songs (sorry if you are guys are reading this). I'd also have to give a thumbs up to the food and the Starbucks coffee served there.

I also thought the Polaroid pictures were a clever idea where we would take pictures of couples and then paste a verse on back of the pictures and invite them to the Bible study.

When I was in the San Diego fellowship, I did the mime act with Shane and Sherry once. It was a lot of fun, during a Fourth of July post-parade fair.

The Twilight Zone outreach was fun even though I've spent too many hours in front of SciFi channel watching these episodes in my own time.

Those were the ones I liked the most. Accosting people in the parks, at their doors, and at school walkways were my least favorite.
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2004, 11:02:30 am »

For over a year I have avoided posting on this thread, and I wasn't even sure why.  In retrospect I now see that it was because I was never comfortable with any of the forms of outreach we employed in my assembly days.  I guess, in order of preference, I favored the tent meetings, sunday afternoons in Hillcrest Park, and Wednesday nights on Van Nuys Blvd.  I just never viewed any of them as effective methods of evangelism.  They bore little tangible fruit, in my experience, and I tried to content myself with the thought that we were putting forth the word of the gospel, and that some of it would take root, grow & bear fruit in time.
     My personal method of witnessing was not aggressive, although when I preached the gospel on the street, I tried to be powerful in voice & message.  But one-on-one, I preferred to establish a rapport by which an intelligent discussion could ensue.  I sometimes felt that a genuine interest had been thus aroused.  I used my Bible freely, but tried to make it comprehensible, rather than weild it as a bludgeon.

Looking back, I think that a lot of our outreach work was but a poor substitute for everyday witnessing to out neighbors, friends, coworkers, and family members.  When Christ is an ideal and a concept, but not a practical reality in one's life, one is painfully aware that those closest by are the most aware of the lack in one's life; a state which impedes any practical active witness to them.  Much easier is the approach to total strangers who may be fooled, even badgered, into believeing that we are the godly, spiritual people we profess to be.

These days, as I learn to know and to trust the Lord in all aspects of my daily doings, I find myself delighting in the unexpected opportunities to interject Jesus Christ as a normal component into a normal conversation.  I am no longer uptight about defending my beliefs, because I am secure in Him, and whatever others may reject or scoff at is between them and the Holy Spirit Who would persuade them.  I have no axe to grind, nothing to prove.  My tool is now prayer rather than argument.
     There is still a place for public preaching, witnessing, the distribution of gospel literature, and godly works, but I now am free to do them without feeling that if I do not I will be failing God.  I can now do them simply because I want to please and serve Him.  I can now pray from my heart to the Lord of harvests to send forth workers and save lost souls, rather than worry whether I am fulfilling all that He demands of me.

Gratefully & gladly,
al Hartman

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: