AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 03:30:09 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Worship  (Read 20853 times)
Arlene

Email
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2003, 09:38:06 pm »

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if ther be any praise, think on these things."  Philippians 4:8

I agree H, Dave and John needs to take their post somewhere ealse and let this thread remain "worship".
editor
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2003, 10:09:08 pm »

Hello Everyone

This thread is for serious bible discussion.  The topic is Worship.

I am going to have to delete posts here, because I can't move individual posts.  I won't have to do this unless the thread keeps getting off track.

There are other area of the board where the recent discussion can take place, but this thread is for serious discussion about worship.

Brent
Sebastian Andrew

Email
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2003, 08:38:27 am »

Greetings everyone:
I hope this poem/song doesn't violate the purpose of this thread.
                       The Maker of the universe
                       As Man, for man, was made a curse
                       The claims of Law which He had made
                       To the uttermost-He paid

His holy fingers made the bough
                       Which grew the thorns that crowned His brow
                       The nails that pierced His hands were mined
                       In secret places He designed

He made the forest whence there sprung
                       The tree on which His body hung
                       He died upon the cross of wood
                       Yet made the hill on which it stood

The sky that darkened o'er His head
                       By Him above the earth was spread
                       The sun that hid from Him its face
                       By His decree was poised in space

The spear that spilled His precious blood
                       Was tempered in the fires of God
                       The grave in which His form was laid
                       Was hewed in rocks His hands had made

The throne on which He now appears
                       Was His from everlasting years
                       But a new glory crowns His brow
                       And every knee to Him shall bow

The Maker of the universe.

Arr. by P. Keaggy
Author I believe anonymous
« Last Edit: February 02, 2003, 06:28:40 pm by Sebastian Andrew » Logged
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2003, 09:03:31 am »

Dear Sebastian!

If that poem doesn't belong here it belongs no where else!

Thank you so much for posting such a beautiful thought.  

WHAT A WONDERFUL SAVIOR IS JESUS MY JESUS

God has blessed us in Christ!   Mark C.
Arthur
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2003, 09:36:38 am »

Thank you for sharing that Sebastian!  That is a beautiful poem.

Arthur
Jim Haan

Email
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2003, 11:50:59 am »

I am a little curious about "Corporate Worship"  Is there such a thing in the NT?  From what I've been hearing, no.  (Although I havent investigated myself).  I know that some very dear friends of mine are "revising" their anchors to exclude "the corporate worship anchor".  Also on a side note, i would recommend anyone still involved with discipling on a campus to review the anchors and re-examine certain things, i.e.  Lords Treasury, etc.  
Bob Sturnfield

Email
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2003, 08:43:24 am »

The church I currently attend also uses the "four pillars"
http://www.harvestbible.org/html/fourpillars.html
However they view "fellowship" as working together in the Lord's service.

I notice that their verse selection also does not specify corporate worship (I guess I'll have to order the tapes).

Verses I would consider using are:

Eph 5:18  And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit,
19  speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord,
20  giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,

Colossians 3:15  And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.
16  Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

editor
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2003, 08:02:52 am »

Hello Bob and Jim

Here is something to chew on.  George's idea of "corporate" this and that is pure bunk.  When two or three people are together, by definition it is corporate!  

"Corporate fellowship" belongs in the department of redundancy department.
Fellowhip implies 2 or more, thus it is corporate by definition. Solitary comes from the latin, SOLO, which means alone.  Seems pretty simple. Fellowship is not alone, but with one's fellow.

"Corporate gathering" belongs in the frequent check out line at the department of redundancy deparment which is a subsidiary of the first department of redundancy department.

How can you have a "gathering," and not have it corporate? Hmmmm?  Huh Huh

George used the phrase corporate, to mean US, the Assembly, the elite church who did things right, in a day when everyone else did them wrong.  Hogwash!!

We are to worship in spirit and truth.  If we do this solo, we are still worshipping. If we do it in fellowship with others, we are also worshipping.  Church is corporate, as long as there are 2 or more.

I like the idea of freedom in worship, which is why home groups are important.  There, you can have much more freedom to worship than on a Sunday morning when there are 600 people there.

I hope this helps.  
by the way, I am an avid sailor.  A boat likes to lie to one anchor, not four.  Sometimes two, but never four.  Also, the worst place to anchor is on the "solid rock."  You will either drag anchor, or not be able to get your anchor back!  Sand is the best, every time.  We always look for sand to anchor in.

Brent

Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2003, 10:32:34 pm »

Can someone worship the Lord when they are having a sin problem?
BenJapheth
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2003, 10:52:22 pm »

Can someone worship the Lord when they are having a sin problem?

Yes.

Getting right with God is the highest form of worship.  Repentance is the highest form of worship.

Confession happens as a prelude to repentance and is a prerequisite to repentance....Confession is agreeing with God about ourselves - that we're guilty of sin - not were guilty, but ARE guilty now - "having a sin problem."  This is not possible without grace.  Realizing grace - give and receive from God - is a form of worship.

Look at many of David's "worship" Psalms...He was worshipping while HAVING a sin problem.  It was THROUGH worship that God was able to deal with it.

A better question might be - "Can a person worship God while knowingly being indifferent to his or her sin?" ...For that question - I think not.

Another question - Is anyone EVER not having a sin problem?  If anyone says "Me, I don't struggle or have problems with sin."  I'd say that person is a liar.

So, if you can only worship when you aren't having a problem with sin...then no one could worship.

Chuck Vanasse
chuck@vanant.com

Jim Haan

Email
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2003, 06:18:18 am »

Brent,
what are your thoughts on the corporate anchors?  I sensed a hint of sarcasm torwards all the anchors...just wondering what your clear cut opinions are.  
editor
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2003, 08:51:15 am »

Hi Jim

Although the thread is actually supposed to be about worship, I will divert just a little and mention a few ideas about the "corporate" anchors, since one of them is "corporate" worship.

Let me first de-bunk some Assembly error with regard to how we view Acts 2:42.  This passage is highly illustrative of some PRINCIPLES at work in the early church meetings.  There is no talk here about boats, or anchoring/mooring techniques!  (I am a novice when it comes to the Bible, but I consider myself a real expert when it comes to anchoring/mooring.  In fact, I do much of the splicing and advising on ground tackle for several of the guys who actually use their boats in my marina.)

First of all, the imagery of a "ship needing four anchors, lest it drift," is way off.  Ideally, a vessel wants to lie to one properly sized anchor so it can pivot about when the wind changes direction.  (look at all the boats tied up to mooring floats in the harbor sometime.  One line at the bow, not four!) Sometimes a tidal current necessitates two anchors, one for the incoming tide, and one for the outgoing tide, set 180 degrees from eachother.  Using four anchors is never done, and is a good way to get one of the rodes (anchor line) wrapped around your propeller!

Now, in a slip, a yacht might want to use 4 or more lines to tie up, but these aren't anchors!  

Also, only a fool anchors on rock!  It's the absolute worst way to anchor.  Either the anchor just drags, doing no good whatsoever, or, if the rocks have a bunch of nooks and holes, the anchor gets swallowed in one of these, never to be seen again by the foolish yachtsman who lowered his anchor in this kind of bottom!  Sand is the absolute best medium to anchor in, bar none.  That song we sang,  "your anchor holds, and grips the solid rock,"  is just the result of a poor, misinformed, hymnwriter.  It should say, "your anchor holds, and digs in to the sand."  That makes me feel much better, and infinitely more secure.

Point?  We bought into an idea that every week, we must be practicing the Anchors of the Faith, otherwise, we would drift away!

Nonsense!  This was merely twisted so that we saw how we must go to all the weekly meetings, because each one was an Anchor of the faith.  the early church did it, and so we must also.  To miss one of the anchors, habitually, would result in loss and drift in my Christian life, ultimately meaning that I only got second best from the Lord.  (Performance based salvation)

Let's take Sunday at my church for example.  We pray, worship, fellowship, and hear teaching from  God's Word.  But this happens before, during, and after the "Service."  This is an example of the principles of Acts 2:42 in practice.

Other churches have Sunday school, where they pray, fellowship and hear teaching.  Then after Sunday school, they go into the sanctuary and worship.  Again, the principles are at work.  Not anchors, principles.

So, most church meetings follow these principles.

The other thing that was twisted in the Assembly, which I have mentioned earlier, is the idea of "Individual" and "Corporate" anchors.  

This is easily dispatched.  How is it possible to have individual fellowship?  Can you fellowship with yourself?  No, you need a "fellow" to fellowship.  

How is "corporate" fellowship different from another type of fellowship?  If ten people get together and sing hymns between number 1 and 128 for an hour, praying in between songs, is this somehow "corporate?"  If two or more people are there, isn't it already corporate?  If another group of ten people sing songs to a guitar player, is this NOT corporate?  What gives?

The idea of "corporate" this and that, was merely double speak to somehow lead us to believe that what we were doing was really special.  We had a "vision" for the pattern, that was somehow deeper and better than what others had.  Furthermore,  this "corporate" mentality creeped in to the way we interpreted parables and such.  Everything pertained to the group, not to us as individuals.  The group became all important, and our individual worth was entirely contingent on how much we did for the cause.  This should be quite clear to everyone now.  Christians are not to serve meetings, meetings are to serve Christians!  We don't commit ourselves to His church, we ARE His Church.  We commit ourselves to Jesus Christ!  The body holds fast to The Head, not to itself!  

Now,  many ex-Assembly folks say, "I am just going to have fellowship with God.  I'm never going to another church!"  

Is this going to cause them to drift away?  I submit they have already drifted up on the reef and are in danger of shipwreck by the time this occurrs.  Funny thing is, when people say this sort of thing, it is usually the RESULT of too many "corporate" anchors, not the lack thereof!

We practice the New Testament Pattern on Wednesday nites in my home.  We pray, fellowship, worship and hear teaching from the Bible.  Chairs are set up in a 3-sided rectangular fashion, so we are amiss on that point, but God still visits us!

I guess that since Jesus is present, we have "corporate" meetings.

Brent
« Last Edit: March 09, 2003, 10:05:40 am by B. Trockman » Logged
lenore
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2004, 08:15:41 am »

Hello Everyone

This thread is for serious bible discussion.  The topic is Worship.

I am going to have to delete posts here, because I can't move individual posts.  I won't have to do this unless the thread keeps getting off track.

There are other area of the board where the recent discussion can take place, but this thread is for serious discussion about worship.

Brent

hello: Brent:

I just was surfing you site:
I am new: want to learning:
QUESTIONS: WHAT WAS YOUR PURPOSE FOR THIS POST?
Is it a discussion whether we are to worship.
Is is a discussion what is worship , with different view points,in a civil debate.
Is is a place were we can come to share our worshipping to God.
Is is a place were come to place a poem, song, or special lesson learned  , and we want to give thanks in worship, with other fellow believers.
Before I step  head first into this one.
Could I have some answers please:

If I am not off the wall Can I share a song of worship:

BLEST BE THE TIE THAT BINDS
by: John Fawcett:
Blest bet he tie that binds, Our hearts in Christian love
The fellowship of kindred minds. Is like to that above.
Before our Father's throne, We pour our ardent prayers.
Our fears, our hopes, our aims are one. Our comforts and our cares
We share our mutual woes, OUr mutual burdens bear,
And often for each other flows, The sympathizing tear.
When we asunder part, It gives us inward pain;
But we shall still be joined in heart, And hope to meet again.    AMEN.

THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO SHARE THIS HYMN ON THIS SITE.
I will await your answers.
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2004, 08:57:15 am »

The posts that Brent was talking about have already been deleted.  That's why you can't figure out why Brent's post is there.

The deleted posts were some heated arguing about unrelated things.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 10:46:42 am by Stephen M. Fortescue » Logged
lenore
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2004, 06:05:31 am »

Cheesy: JULY 12/ 9:14 PM

Topic: Worship:

"""Consider this when it comes to worship:

- Draw near and listen well,
because  God is communicating.

- Be quiet and stay calm,
because God hears the inaudible and see the invisible.

- Made a commitment and keep it;
because God doesn't forget

- Don't decide now and deny later;
because God doesn't ignore decisions.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: