AssemblyBoard
April 24, 2024, 11:11:59 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Churches That Abuse" by Enroth  (Read 4175 times)
Arlene

Email
« on: January 26, 2003, 12:28:42 am »

Of the three books we've recently ordered, I've been reading "Churches That Abuse" and although I've only read two chapters, I see many similar practices and personalities
that have domimated the many years I've sat under George's teachings.

This quote from chapter 2 page 48 hit the bullseye.

"The comments of a former elder who was associated with the church for eighteen years before resigning are insightful:  'As I look back on it now, it is clear that, subtly at first, there began to be a feeling of superiority and exclusiveness among the people.  This was more evident in some than in others, but I think we all were affected by it.  There began to be a feeling that this church was unique, and that while we loved other brothers in Christ, to leave Community Chapel would always be a step down.
The paster rarely had other preachers in to minister to us, feeling that they really couldn't add anything to us, and might only foster divisions and problems.  I feel that this is on of the critical factors in the sad things that happened later:  no checks and balances with the rest of God's people, and no accountability to other men of God outside our own little circle.'"

I thank the Lord of the liberty that is in Christ and the simplicity of His Word.  Smiley            
Toni Fuller

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2003, 01:08:21 am »

Arlene,  thanks for posting this.  I know that many of us thru the years have tried to say things that we didn't agree with, only to talk to the walls once again.  The only thing that is encouraging thru this whole mess is we have a great Saviour, who has been in control the whole time.  I admit that I don't understand why everything happened and for so long, I only know that had these events been exposed before now, they wouldn't have had the impact that we've been seeing.  I've always been a rebel at heart and though I've never accepted everything hook , line & sinker.  Still  I stayed and regret not taking action sooner.  On the other hand,  I have made some very real dear friendships in the midst and wouldn't trade them for anything!!  Just remember that as a farmer burns off his crops only to see better ones in the future, so God can redeem His own from the ashes, replant them & cause them to grow like never before.      Smiley
editor
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2003, 04:06:16 am »

Hello All!

May I recommend the book,

The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse?

Of all the ones on the topic, I thought this one was the best.

Brent
Arlene

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2003, 11:59:51 am »

The Subtle Power of Sprirtual Abuse
Have that one also and will read it.  Thank you.

Toni;
It's hard to speak up when there's a spirit of opression.  And that is what has been my experience from LBs over the years.  I too have made very dear friends over the years and hope to strenthen the friendships Smiley.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: