AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 12:19:01 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28
  Print  
Author Topic: Quotes to Ponder  (Read 195963 times)
outdeep

Email
« Reply #285 on: April 08, 2005, 05:46:55 pm »

God is not a Republican.  He just votes that way. Wink
vernecarty
« Reply #286 on: April 08, 2005, 09:46:29 pm »

God is not a Republican.  He just votes that way. Wink

I know you said this in jest Dave.
People who actually think like this I find a bit frightening...
Verne
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 09:53:24 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
outdeep

Email
« Reply #287 on: April 09, 2005, 07:31:44 am »

I know you said this in jest Dave.
People who actually think like this I find a bit frightening...
Verne
It was definately in jest.  A friend of mine said this in an e-mail and I laughed into my computer.
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #288 on: April 13, 2005, 09:29:55 pm »

From A.Word.A.Day, on-line newsletter:

Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an
injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are
aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily; and why older persons,
especially if vain or important, cannot learn at all.

-Thomas Szasz,
          author, professor of psychiatry (1920- )

(This guy has almost grasped why the natural man
   doesn't receive and cannot understand the things of God...)

al
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #289 on: May 02, 2005, 05:48:22 pm »

(also) From A.Word.A.Day, on-line newsletter:

Nothing so completely baffles one who is full of trick and duplicity
himself, than straightforward and simple integrity in another.

--CharlesCaleb Colton (1780-1832),
          author and clergyman
Mark Kisla
« Reply #290 on: May 17, 2005, 08:45:17 am »

" With fame I become more and more stupid, which of course is a very common phenomenon"

Albert Einstein

" The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cock sure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

" Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups."

John Galbraith
M2
« Reply #291 on: June 16, 2005, 05:49:09 pm »

In faith there is enough light for those who want to
    believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal
Mark Kisla
« Reply #292 on: June 20, 2005, 08:20:12 am »

"The greatest leader is not necesarily the one who does the greatest things...He's the one who gets the people to do the greatest things"

RONALD REAGAN
M2
« Reply #293 on: August 11, 2005, 08:35:30 am »

Our Greatest Fear

Marianne Williamson from her book "A Return to Love"

Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate,
but that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,
gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.

And, as we let our own light shine, we consciously give
other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our fear,
our presence automatically liberates others.
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #294 on: September 03, 2005, 11:50:40 pm »

Personally, I have not always had so much difficulty with the formulations of correct doctrine.  It is making sure that this doctrine helps me to obey God and to love others that is the hard part.  I suspect that is true for many others as well.  We can manage knowledge far better than we can manage our own lives.  We can control our thinking, but we cannot make others more lovable.

...As we seek to be true to Scripture, we must never cease asking God to conform us to His Word.  ...let us never think that right thinking alone will lead us to self-sacrificial acts of love and obedience.  Let us endeavor to build Christian fellowship with believers who differ with us on non-essential matters of the faith.  Let us seek to obey Scripture so that we are not only passionate about doctrinal precision but passionate about love and obedience as well.

--Robert Rothwell
     Tabletalk, September, 2005

outdeep

Email
« Reply #295 on: September 04, 2005, 06:50:25 am »

Personally, I have not always had so much difficulty with the formulations of correct doctrine.  It is making sure that this doctrine helps me to obey God and to love others that is the hard part.  I suspect that is true for many others as well.  We can manage knowledge far better than we can manage our own lives.  We can control our thinking, but we cannot make others more lovable.

...As we seek to be true to Scripture, we must never cease asking God to conform us to His Word.  ...let us never think that right thinking alone will lead us to self-sacrificial acts of love and obedience.  Let us endeavor to build Christian fellowship with believers who differ with us on non-essential matters of the faith.  Let us seek to obey Scripture so that we are not only passionate about doctrinal precision but passionate about love and obedience as well.

--Robert Rothwell
Great thoughts.  Thanks.
vernecarty
« Reply #296 on: September 04, 2005, 06:45:32 pm »

We can control our thinking,
     --Robert Rothwell

Can we? I am not so sure. If fact, a cogent case could be made that all wrong conduct is the result of wrong thinking. This would cause me to question whether someone who is bahaving wrongly, is in fact thinking rightly. This is why the gospel message involves the renewing of our minds.
I am of course equating your concept of "control" of our thinking with "right" thinking.
Verne
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #297 on: September 06, 2005, 08:17:44 am »

Can we (control our thinking)? I am not so sure. If fact, a cogent case could be made that all wrong conduct is the result of wrong thinking. This would cause me to question whether someone who is bahaving wrongly, is in fact thinking rightly. This is why the gospel message involves the renewing of our minds.
I am of course equating your concept of "control" of our thinking with "right" thinking.
Verne

If I understand Rothwell's point, it is not that everyone does control his thoughts, nor that the unregenrate are capable of right thinking.  Rather, he is stating that the redeemed can be renewed in the spirit of our minds, thereby directing our thoughts toward Christ in love and obedience.  Maybe I'm reading too much into his words...  What impressed me most from what he wrote was this:

we must never cease asking God to conform us to His Word.  ...let us never think that right thinking alone will lead us to self-sacrificial acts of love and obedience.

al
M2
« Reply #298 on: October 03, 2005, 05:24:50 pm »

www.geftakysassembly.com/Reflections/Home.htm#whatsnew
home.datawest.net/esn-recovery/default.htm

The deadliest counterfeit is the one that most closely resembles the truth.
~ Anonymous

Deception of any kind is a terrible thing, but spiritual deception is a monstrous evil.  ~ Gordon Sears

Deception works because it appears as something it is not. ~ Greg Reid

... for sin, taking opportunity through the commandment, deceived me, and through it killed me..  ~ Romans 7:11 NASB
Elizabeth H

Email
« Reply #299 on: October 05, 2005, 04:51:59 am »

"Do not be too quick to assume that your enemy is an enemy of God just because he is your enemy. Perhaps he is your enemy precisely because he can find nothing in you that gives glory to God. Perhaps he fears you because he can find nothing in you of God's love and God's kindness and God's patience and mercy and understanding of the weakness of men.

Do not be too quick to condemn the man who no longer believes in God, for it is perhaps your own coldness and avarice, your mediocrity and materialism, your sensuality and selfishness that have killed his faith."

---Thomas Merton
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28
  Print  

Jump to: