AssemblyBoard
April 26, 2024, 04:03:17 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A challenge to Vandyyke  (Read 8630 times)
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« on: August 21, 2008, 09:47:57 am »

Dave/Vandyyke:

I have noticed, both presently and in the past, that you are very prolific in starting threads of discussion, the topics of which are either: 1. victims of some corrupt ministry or other controlling entity, or: 2. some completely "off-the-wall" topic (astrophysics, caves, playing the stock market while taking gazoo lessons, saving coral snakes from extinction  Wink, etc.).

Why don't you take the following six week challenge, which is:

Anytime during the next six weeks that you feel the urge to start a new thread, why don't you post about ministries that are good, pure and doing good in this world?  Forget victimization of people in groups for the next six weeks.  I think that anyone who is a regular consumer of and a regular contributor to this forum is quite aware of spiritual abuse and corruption.

What do you say to that?

Matt Sciaini 

Vandyyke
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 09:59:34 am »

Dude, why do you have an obsession with me? Dude, other people blog what's on their minds with the intention of having interesting, constructive conversation. Do you feel the need to "challenge" them?

Marc and Amy have both recently complimented my posts! Why don't you have an argument with them?

fyi  The Fall semester starts tomorrow. I'm so sorry but you will have to find someone else to obsess over
Vandyyke
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 08:25:47 pm »

As a result of my blogging I met and chatted with a lot of interesting people! This Sunday my wife and I are having lunch with "Shin" in San Diego. Last summer we had lunch with a professor at Cal Tech! (He's in fellowship in Pasadena! go figure!) Last January I had an extended chat with a guy in Lompoc. I would have gotten together with him except for the fact that his is in the hospital with a very debilitating disease. Two weeks ago we had  dinner with an ex-member in the city of Orange. Also my wife got to meet Margaret Irons. It's alway fun when I get to show her that these people really exist.

So what I'm trying to say Matt is that it is possible to make friends on this BB. It's possible to make friends everywhere you go! Try to find a common interest with someone. You might find a post that you enjoy. You might like to add something to it!  You might want to challenge it! No problem! Just state your argument.

Hope this helps!
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:20:25 pm »

Dave:

I was not looking for your help.

I was simply reacting to what I saw on this BB.  It seems akin to driving down a street and seeing that someone is buying up several blocks of the neighborhood. 

As far as obsessing over things and people, you are the one, if I read right earlier, that can't and won't forgive what you suffered in the Assembly.

Actually, the things that you post about other religious groups that take advantage of people make your experience in the Assembly look trivial by comparison. 

Matt Sciaini

Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:37:56 pm »

Dave---

I kind of understand where Matt was coming from at the very beginning when he was commenting
on your threads.  The BB is a free area of course, and I guess one can start up as many threads as they'd like to. Maybe one or two of them will even be very interesting. But sometimes there will be 6-8
new threads and it's kind of like talking with someone who doesn't know how to have a conversation, and starts multiple subjects while speaking:

Two guys at a bus stop:

Bob:  "Hi, how's it going?"
Jim:  "Not bad.  Did you know that Coral Snakes are going extinct in the Phillippines?"
Bob: "Oh really?  That's interesting. How 'bout this weather huh?"
Jim:  "Yeah, almost like the east coast.  Speaking of the East Coast did you know Ben Franklin
         created a musical device?"
Bob: "Really? That's also interesting. I wonder when that bus is going to get here?"
Jim:  "My Aunt used to drive a bus.  You know she said the bus had magical powers and could start by itself. She 
        was crazy!!"
Bob:  "Boy, sounds like it. You don't happen to have a bus schedule do you?"
Jim:  "No. I saw a Pink Flamingo eat a rabbit once. Did you know that they don't eat rice in Azerbijan?"
Bob:  "Is that the bus?  Sure hope so.  I need to get to my mother in the hospital."
Jim:   "The thermometer was invented by a woman named Gertrude. She drove a Buick. Did you know Buicks
        were one of the first cars that came with seat belts?"
Bob:  "Oh thank God, here's the bus!"
Jim:   "I like Target better than Walmart because Target gives their employees better benefits."
         (Bus pulls up and doors swing open)
Bob:  (climbing up stairs of bus) "See you later".
Jim:   "See you. I once had an idea to build an escalator for use on buses"
Driver:  "Hey you!!  You gettin' on the bus or what??!!"
Jim:   "Do you go to fifth and Franklin? I want to go to the aquarium.  You ever seen a snapping turtle?"
Driver:  "No!  That's not on my route!  You gonna get on?!!?"
JIm:    "No.  Maybe I'll go to the zoo instead. Did you know (bus doors close and bus begins to pull away) that
          one of the zookeepers there has two rows of teeth, and six fingers on one hand??  (turns to an old woman
          walking up swiftly who has just missed the bus) "Oh, hello ma'am, you look a bit winded, did you know the
          giraffe can run 35 miles and hour and never makes a sound?"

By the way this is all meant tonge in cheek but I think you catch my drift.   Grin
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:18:12 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Vandyyke
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 03:46:42 am »

Joe and Matt,

I surf other BB's. I look at windows and if they don't interest me I move on. Yet somehow you interpret "Any and All Topics"  as if it was a conversation you find yourselves victim to!

Who is forcing you to click?  Who is forcing you to read my posts?
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 04:44:41 am »

Dave---

No problem. I was joking around about the two guys waiting for the bus.  But do take a look when you enter the "Any and all topics" section of the BB---scan down and see who the author of each thread is.  Then click on page 2, page 3 of the same section and read who is the author of each thread (and they go on and on)--and almost all of them are you---most of these threads have one post alone. 

You seem to create a new thread for each thought you have--and many of them never experience a reply.  Just a suggestion, but maybe if you have 6 or 7 things you want to share like  "How tortoises are born"
"Who is Pinkberry?", "My crazy relatives", etc. etc. , you could put them in one thread called "thoughts for today from Dave".   Then list the seven different items you want to share, along with the hyperlinks.  Just a suggestion.  You're right, no one has to click on them--just seems they could be presented in a better or easier way.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 08:21:35 pm by Joe Sperling » Logged
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 06:17:28 am »

Vandyyke:

Let's try this again (even though I know you are going on vacation and probably won't read this until you return, if then):

YOU are placing us in victimhood.  I (speaking for myself) said nothing about myself being a victim. 

Nor have I said anything about being forced to read your posts.

What you seem to want from me is silence if I don't like your posts. (and probably from everyone else, too)

Whatever.   

Matt Sciaini

Joe and Matt,

I surf other BB's. I look at windows and if they don't interest me I move on. Yet somehow you interpret "Any and All Topics"  as if it was a conversation you find yourselves victim to!

Who is forcing you to click?  Who is forcing you to read my posts?
Vandyyke
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 06:37:39 am »

Matt,

I'm sitting here playing hymns on the Armomica and it just hit me, what does it matter!??  Brother, if you feel that I am being a bad person by posting then I'll just receive it from the Lord!  I promise I'll never post on this bb again!

Rejoice in the Lord! God has given you the rest of your life to enjoy! Do great things with your life!

God Bless You!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 08:01:37 am by Vandyyke » Logged
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 09:15:05 pm »

Dave:

You are putting words in my mouth once again.  This is the part of your communication that really concerns me.  Nor do you answer inquiries..instead, when you are asked for specific instances of behavior (in this case, my problems with communication), you simply repeat your assertion and expect that that will suffice.

Matt
Matt,

I'm sitting here playing hymns on the Armomica and it just hit me, what does it matter!??  Brother, if you feel that I am being a bad person by posting then I'll just receive it from the Lord!  I promise I'll never post on this bb again!

Rejoice in the Lord! God has given you the rest of your life to enjoy! Do great things with your life!

God Bless You!

outdeep

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 02:37:05 am »

OK, so what's better?  Days of silence or VanDyke mega-posting of irrelevant topics and miscellaneous term papers?
juststarted

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 12:14:57 am »

Days of silence. I can go read dear Abby if I want quotes of irrelevance.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: