AssemblyBoard
April 30, 2024, 09:20:51 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Overweight America  (Read 6822 times)
Vandyyke
« on: August 08, 2008, 03:24:46 pm »

http://news.aol.com/article/all-us-adults-could-be-overweight-in-40/121577?icid=100214839x

All of US Could Be Overweight by 2048
Reuters
posted: 8 HOURS 42 MINUTES AGO
comments: 567
PrintShare
filed under: Health News, National News
Text SizeAAA
NEW YORK (Aug. 7) - If the trends of the past three decades continue, it's possible that every American adult could be overweight 40 years from now, a government-funded study projects.
The figure might sound alarming, or impossible, but researchers say that even if the actual rate never reaches the 100-percent mark, any upward movement is worrying; two-thirds of the population is already overweight.

"Genetically and physiologically, it should be impossible" for all U.S. adults to become overweight, said Dr. Lan Liang of the federal government's Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, one of the researchers on the study.
However, she told Reuters Health, the data suggest that if the trends of the past 30 years persist, "that is the direction we're going."
Already, she and her colleagues point out, some groups of U.S. adults have extremely high rates of overweight and obesity; among African- American women, for instance, 78 percent are currently overweight or obese.
The new projections, published in the journal Obesity, are based on government survey data collected between the 1970s and 2004.
Top 5 States With Highest Obesity Rates
Cindy Davis Walker, AP
Researchers estimate that 86 percent of U.S. adults will be overweight and 51 percent will be obese by 2030. Last month, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ranked states by their obesity rates. West Virginia, above, came in fifth at 30.3 percent.
Click through to count down to the fattest state.

1 of 5PHOTOS
If the trends of those years continue, the researchers estimate that 86 percent of American adults will be overweight by 2030, with an obesity rate of 51 percent. By 2048, all U.S. adults could be at least mildly overweight.
Weight problems will be most acute among African-Americans and Mexican- Americans, the study projects. All black women could be overweight by 2034, according to the researchers, as could more than 90 percent of Mexican-American men.
All of this rests on the "big assumption" that the trends of recent decades will march on unabated, Liang acknowledged.
"This is really intended as a wake-up call to show what could happen if nothing changes," she said.
Top 5 States With Lowest Obesity Rates
Marco Garcia, AP
Areas with the lowest obesity rates in the nation range from certain New England states to Hawaii, pictured here. The Aloha State tied three others for second place, with 21.7 percent of the population obese -- but there was one clear winner.
Click through to find out the slimmest state.

1 of 5PHOTOS
Waistlines aren't the only thing poised to balloon in the future, according to Liang and her colleagues. They estimate that the healthcare costs directly related to excess pounds will double each decade, reaching $957 billion in 2030 -- accounting for one of every six healthcare dollars spent in the U.S.
Those financial projections are based on Census data and published estimates of the current healthcare costs attributed to excess weight -- and they are probably a "huge underestimate" of what the actual costs will be, Liang said.
The findings highlight a need for widespread efforts to improve Americans' lifestyles and keep their weight in check, according to the researchers. Simply telling people to eat less and exercise more is not enough, Liang noted.
Broader social changes are needed as well, she said -- such as making communities more pedestrian-friendly so that people can walk regularly, or getting the food industry to offer healthier, calorie-conscious choices.
"It really needs to be more than an individual effort," Liang said. "It needs to be a societal effort."
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:26:32 pm by Vandyyke » Logged
Vandyyke
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 03:32:55 pm »

"78 percent are currently overweight or obese."

This is pretty sad, but a phenomenon that is exclusive to the U.S.A!

http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/00b9a680/66490086

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:39:24 pm by Vandyyke » Logged
Vandyyke
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 03:56:08 pm »

My wife and I try to keep active, we go to the gym almost everyday. We bike to the beach, hike or take walks. While we're doing this we are surrounded by lots of inspiration. We see a lot of people who are in awesome shape! So when I read the article, "78% of America is overweight or obese", it seems a little exaggerated!?

Until........we visit the O.C. Fair!!!!!!  Every year we visit the fair. This event brings out a true demographic described in the article! Every fourth person is obese! Obese means 25 pounds overweight! But these people aren't just 25 pounds overweight, they are 50, 75, 100+ pounds!

What's on the menu at the O.C. Fair?  Crap! Pure Crap!

Deep fried Snicker's Bars! They actually take snicker's bars and dip them in a batter, deep fry it! This is just the beginning! They also have deep fried Oreo Cookies, deep fried White Castle Burgers! (They deep fry the bun for you also!) Deep fried Twinkles! Deep fried Spam! They even have deep fried frog legs in a Krispy Kreme "sandwich".

http://candyaddict.com/blog/2006/11/07/review-deep-fried-coca-cola/

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:14:57 pm by Vandyyke » Logged
Explorer

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 09:43:04 pm »

Sounds delicious!

I'm on my way!
Vandyyke
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 04:40:31 am »

They also sell another disgusting thing....they start with sliced apples! Fill up a 16 oz cup (clear plastic) then pour hot caramel until it drowns the apples. Next, they top it with whipped cream. Imagine the contrast! The crisp, sweet/tart crunchy of the Granny Smith juxtaposed against the syrup/gooey of the caramel. It is to digest  a Beethoven composition! The counterpoint playing up against the melody! Oh what joy! What ecstasy! The climax!!!!!!

http://foodio54.com/blog/?p=72
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:47:05 am by Vandyyke » Logged
outdeep

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 08:02:25 pm »

There is a funny bit in The Onion Movie where the government responded to the problem of obesity by redefining the definition of obesity.

Vandyyke
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 08:58:49 pm »

The Onion Movie/newspaper pokes fun at our culture!

The sad truth is our culture is disgustingly overweight, our culture feeds off of crap! Not just white flour and sugar but just look at our summer movie blockbusters! Comic Books! Graphic sex/violence! Do you want comedy? Hey! Bathroom humor! loads of it! Not meant to make you think (like the Onion) but to shock
you into laughter!

There is a movie on HBO titled "Idiocracy"  It's a very scary look at our future!

outdeep

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 04:35:03 pm »

The Onion Movie/newspaper pokes fun at our culture!

The sad truth is our culture is disgustingly overweight, our culture feeds off of crap! Not just white flour and sugar but just look at our summer movie blockbusters! Comic Books! Graphic sex/violence! Do you want comedy? Hey! Bathroom humor! loads of it! Not meant to make you think (like the Onion) but to shock
you into laughter!

There is a movie on HBO titled "Idiocracy"  It's a very scary look at our future!
I believe we have lots of undetected addictions in our country.  AA groups flourish because the effects of alcoholism is pretty obvious.  But food addictions?  Sex addictions?  These groups are relatively small because it is much more difficult for one to come to grips with the fact that they have a problem.

I understand some people may have physiological problems that cause them to be overweight so I don't want this to come across that I somehow look down on all fat people.  Nevertheless, when I am forced to go to a Christian concert at the local minor league baseball game (I like baseball but am not a fan of Christian concerts), I am surprised when I see obese Christians walking around with three hot dogs, nachos and a malt wearing tee shirts that say "come to Christ and be a new creation" or "Jesus set me free".

Last week I was at at a class in the cafeteria.  An obese woman was ordering a sandwich in front of me.  The man said to her "would you like fries?"  As the man piled them on her plate I wanted to shout out, "No!  She wants a side salad!"

Anyway, venting aside, I think the only solution is for those who have identified these issues in themselves and have gotten help to reach out to others.  Only an alcoholic can truly convince another alcoholic of the problem and the solution if the convincer has truly gotten help for himself.  Similar with food addictions, sex addictions ,etc.
Vandyyke
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 08:10:35 pm »

I know I should be sensitive to the fact that it is much harder for some people then others. Some people are naturally thin, attractive etc... Our society is prejudice towards the obese. If you are obese automatically people will assume you are weak and stupid. People will assume you have a poor self-esteem. However this doesn't seem to be much a deterrent to one out of every four people in America from adding a plate of fries on top of that double cheeseburger! Working in health care I see the consequences of it all. People getting knee replacements, hip replacements in their fifties. "Dude all you need to do (ten years ago) was lose the weight!" Now its too late!

A stock my club holds is STRYKER. SYK. Buy it! They make hip & knee replacements and business is great!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: