AssemblyBoard
April 24, 2024, 02:06:56 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brian May of Queen writes Astrophysics Thesis  (Read 5212 times)
Vandyyke
« on: August 07, 2008, 08:48:58 am »

http://www.switched.com/2008/08/05/queen-guitarist-brian-may-writes-astrophysics-thesis/

Queen Guitarist Brian May Writes Astrophysics Thesis
by Terrence O'Brien, posted Aug 5th 2008 at 6:15PM

For Brian May, playing guitar for legendary rock band Queen was just a distraction from his quest for a doctorate in Astrophysics. The guitar god's thesis titled 'A Survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal Dust Cloud' examines the phenomena of Zodiacal light, a dim cone of light that can be seen in the western sky just after sunset and in the eastern sky before dawn.

The light is caused by the reflection of sunlight off of interplanetary debris and dust, though in dark rural areas the glow has been confused for the first light of dawn. May's thesis focused on a series of measurements taken in 1971 and 1972 by the The Fabry-Perot Spectrometer in the Canary Islands.

Of course, Brian May isn't the first musician to fly his geek flag or to spend time pursuing academic accomplishments. Here are a few more famous musicians who are probably smarter than you are:
Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine graduated From Harvard. As did Rivers Cuomo of Weezer.
All of the founding members of Devo attended Kent State University.
Colin Greenwood, bassist for Radiohead, graduated from Cambridge University.
John Mayer is an avid tech geek and Blackberry fiend.
Dexter Holland of Offspring was a PHD candidate in molecular biology at USC.
Art Garfunkel has both a BA in Art History and a Master's in Mathematics from Columbia University.
[Source: USA Today]
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:19:59 pm »

"Vandyyke"

You must have a whole lot of time on your hands to be starting all these threads that the vast majority of us could not care less about.

I'll add more later---I just happen to be on break at WORK.

Matt Sciaini
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 12:23:19 am »

"Vandyyke"

You must have a whole lot of time on your hands to be starting all these threads that the vast majority of us could not care less about.

I'll add more later---I just happen to be on break at WORK.

Matt Sciaini

Interestingly enough, Brian May wrote "WE WILL, WE WILL, ROCK YOU!!" while on break as an astrophysicists assistant. Most of the rest of his work time was spent creating new threads on the "Rocking Scientists" Bulletin Board he was a part of at the time.
Vandyyke
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 03:16:37 am »

Matt,

How are you doing?  I actually ran into someone who use to work with you! Where are you working now? As I recall you use to be a student at C.S.U.F.? 

I took an interest in the article because I use to be a Queen fan. Brian May's guitar work is one of a kind!
The fact that he is getting his PhD in Astrophysics is no small thing! (I had no idea you spoke for the majority of us!)

http://www.springer.com/astronomy/book/978-0-387-77705-4

Do you have a degree?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 06:04:51 am by Vandyyke » Logged
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 09:15:05 pm »

Vandyyke (Dave M.):

Yes, I have a degree.  I received my B.A. in Linguistics from Cal State Fullerton in June 1992.

Matt
Vandyyke
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 04:37:00 am »

Good for you bro!  I am glad for you and I hope it has been a benefit to your career. In 85 I went against Tim Geftakys' council and traveled to Connecticut to finish my O.T. License. This license enabled me to pay my way through C.S.U.F In 94 I left fellowship in order to get my B.A. (I couldn't serve God and Money) Two years later I received my Teaching Credential. This has enabled me to purchase a home, get married, set up three retirement accounts and pursue my Master's Degree in History. Last January I visited an Assembly. I reconnected with a brother whom I knew from F.C. I remember in 83 he told me that he had to quit pursuing a Sociology Degree because of the work. When I saw him last January 08, I saw a very tired weary old man. He is about 100 pounds overweight and he will die before he is 60. As far as I know he has no real career or retirement! (he use to do odd jobs to pay bills)  What a tragedy! Many people (not you) are in the same situation today! They thought the Assembly was everything they needed! I'm glad you have a degree!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 05:13:02 am by Vandyyke » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: