AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 12:54:08 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Modernity  (Read 4090 times)
Vandyyke
« on: April 20, 2008, 09:26:37 am »

We are reading a book on "Modernity" in my history class. This came up during the discussion. Does anyone remember this theater at Disneyland?

http://www.yesterland.com/ge-publicity.html
Oscar

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 08:10:16 pm »

VanDave,

My first visit to Disneyland was on opening day in 1955.  It was an invitation only event, but I was a member of a group of Eagle Scouts that participated in a flag raising ceremony.

I do not have any recollection of this particular show.  However, the building was still there in the early 80's.  The audience was stationary but the stage was in the form of a carousel.  Between "acts" the stage rotated to the next scene.

When I saw this the show was groups of animitronic animals doing singing acts.

I think the building has been incorporated into the indoor rollercoaster ride they have now.

Tom Maddux
Vandyyke
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 09:20:05 pm »

The theme of the attraction was all about how General Electric is making life better and better. I remember being left with the feeling, "Boy, what will life be like in the future?" (Future as in 1985)  It was changed into," America Sings" a pathetic compliment to "It's a Small World"  people in class are telling me, "They discontinued that attraction before I was born!" 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 03:08:38 am by Vandyyke » Logged
outdeep

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 12:28:35 am »

I used to love the Carousal of Progress.  It was one of two rides that were free in the ticket days.  It was sponsored by GE (the other ride was the one where you shrank sponsored by Monsanto).  As a youngster, I found it fascinating how things progressed from the 20s with electric chords going to one socket to the day.  At the end, you walked past a futuristic city.
Vandyyke
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 03:17:16 am »

On the subject of Modernity we are reading, "All that is Solid Melts into Air" By Marshall Berman. Anyone?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: