AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 07:22:46 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Life: Post-Assembly (Or, What Are You Doing Today?)  (Read 6596 times)
amycahill

Email
« on: April 01, 2008, 03:38:03 pm »

I've noticed several people on this board (including me!) kinda feel like, "Well, I've talked about the Assembly to death, and don't feel like airing anything at the moment, so what now?"

What now, indeed?

How about the rest of our lives?

What are you doing today?

I've been married 10+ years to an exceptionally wonderful guy.  We couldn't have any kids, and I'm not sorry...I was too sick to be able to raise kids.  God is good, and He knew.  I am finally going back to the Catholic Church, but also hanging out at this delightful little Protestant church as well.  While my theology is definitely Catholic, I used it to cope with my really awful childhood and that has left scars.  There are weekends I simply cannot go to Mass.  This church (the Protestant one) trips no triggers and doesn't make me want to run screaming.  I've told them I'm Catholic and have no intention of ever joining.  They have no intention of converting me (stated or unstated as far as I can tell) and are just happy to see me whenever I choose to drop in.  Smiley

I believe that I am permanently disabled from my chronic illness (as in not being able to work, that's about it) but am living a very full and happy life.  My current addiction is making jewelry, and I've gotten very good at that.  I also do some web and graphic design, but in general, I'm trying to figure out now how I can serve God.

I am very grateful to be alive and to be a 1% chance come true.  Smiley

Who else wants to report in?  Smiley

outdeep

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 07:38:53 pm »

I've noticed several people on this board (including me!) kinda feel like, "Well, I've talked about the Assembly to death, and don't feel like airing anything at the moment, so what now?"

What now, indeed?

How about the rest of our lives?

What are you doing today?

I've been married 10+ years to an exceptionally wonderful guy.  We couldn't have any kids, and I'm not sorry...I was too sick to be able to raise kids.  God is good, and He knew.  I am finally going back to the Catholic Church, but also hanging out at this delightful little Protestant church as well.  While my theology is definitely Catholic, I used it to cope with my really awful childhood and that has left scars.  There are weekends I simply cannot go to Mass.  This church (the Protestant one) trips no triggers and doesn't make me want to run screaming.  I've told them I'm Catholic and have no intention of ever joining.  They have no intention of converting me (stated or unstated as far as I can tell) and are just happy to see me whenever I choose to drop in.  Smiley

I believe that I am permanently disabled from my chronic illness (as in not being able to work, that's about it) but am living a very full and happy life.  My current addiction is making jewelry, and I've gotten very good at that.  I also do some web and graphic design, but in general, I'm trying to figure out now how I can serve God.

I am very grateful to be alive and to be a 1% chance come true.  Smiley

Who else wants to report in?  Smiley
I live in Boone, NC since 1995.  I work at Samaritan's Purse in the computer department.  We are involved in a C&MA church, one of the larger ones in Boone.  My main interest and involvement is in a recovery ministry called Celebrate Recovery (www.CelebrateRecoveryBoone.com).  I think this has helped me more with my Christian growth and support than any church I had been in.

As for writing on the bulletin board - I found that when I left the one true church in 1990, that it was very important for me to talk over and over again and process the things that happened.  We used to meet in living rooms of ex-members and talk for hours.  Then after several years, I no longer found the need to talk about it.  The things of my past didn't make me angry.  In fact, I could laugh at the silliness of things I used to believe.   There are still occasional triggers (I recently unloaded on another blog about a piece on of George Muller and imulating his spirituality - empty of any will, ignore feelings - to obtain answers to prayer) but for the most part, I have new friends, perspectives, experiences, feelings, aspirations, etc.  For goodness sake, I have been out of the Assembly longer than I have been in.

As for sharing personal stories of the future, I have a men's group and local friends and community I do that with.  I don't need to share my life story, struggles and progress on the internet with people I barely remember.  A few folks (namely Mark C and the Irons) feel a call from God to make it a ministry to help folks with abusive church experiences.  May God bless their efforts but I don't have such a call.  But again, as folks move further and further away from the day the Assembly crashed and they moved on their life, made healthy relationships and identified wrong thinking, the less there is a need to go back and talk with people from their past.

I check every now and then to see if an interesting conversation developed but more often than not, there isn't.

I know you struggle with your health so an electronic board may have to be a substitute for real people.  Nevertheless, I find God speaking in the conversation of real people much more than I will ever find on a bulletin board discussion.  I would have to believe that your church would have some place where community can be found.  I am becoming more and more of the opinion that there is nothing greater than having an honest, open conversation with another struggling sinner in person (telephone as a second choice) to uplift your spirits and cause you to feel closer to God.  As Bonhoffer said, "the Christ in my brother is stronger than the Christ in me".

-Dave
Vandyyke
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 02:31:59 am »

What am I doing?  God has created me for GREAT THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  GREAT THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am trying use every part of the brain God has given me, I read lots and lots of books, I am learninghow to play an antique musical instrument. I am planning on numerous projects such as books to write, hikes to take, romantic encounters!  I am determined to NOT live my life like the old farts I use to see at Church. Sit around and have the same conversations over and over and over again. "What do you think Hirem? Is it free will or predestination?"  'Well I use to think it was free will but then I changed to predest...oh wait no it was predestination and now I think its free...."

Hey Dave, I was driving through N.C. last week. We drove past a Gospel Tent Meeting in Concord! The flowers on B.G. parkway were gorgeous!

We spent a week at Williamsburg! This is the largest living museum in the world! It was the greatest vacation I have ever experienced! Thomas Jefferson, John Addams! George Washington. Lots of learning experiences! We danced something akin to the Virginia Reel in the House of Burgesses with the gentry! Candelight! Has anyone been there?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 03:24:35 am by Vandyyke » Logged
amycahill

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 05:42:20 am »

I know you struggle with your health so an electronic board may have to be a substitute for real people.  Nevertheless, I find God speaking in the conversation of real people much more than I will ever find on a bulletin board discussion.  I would have to believe that your church would have some place where community can be found.  I am becoming more and more of the opinion that there is nothing greater than having an honest, open conversation with another struggling sinner in person (telephone as a second choice) to uplift your spirits and cause you to feel closer to God.  As Bonhoffer said, "the Christ in my brother is stronger than the Christ in me".

-Dave

Oh, hear hear!  I actually see friends and family a LOT in real life.  The little church has made me more than welcome, and I also like my Catholic parish very much as well. 

Glad to hear you have moved on and are doing well.
amycahill

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:43:18 am »

What am I doing?  God has created me for GREAT THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  GREAT THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you are definitely having a blast.  Smiley
outdeep

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 07:59:15 pm »

Hey Dave, I was driving through N.C. last week. We drove past a Gospel Tent Meeting in Concord! The flowers on B.G. parkway were gorgeous!

We spent a week at Williamsburg! This is the largest living museum in the world! It was the greatest vacation I have ever experienced! Thomas Jefferson, John Addams! George Washington. Lots of learning experiences! We danced something akin to the Virginia Reel in the House of Burgesses with the gentry! Candelight! Has anyone been there?

Believe it or not, I have never gotten up to Williamsburg but I have heard it is a great setup.  Everyone there is time-locked in 1774 I believe.  I would like to go sometime.  Now that Loretta and I are empty nesters, we'll have to do a week-end trip.

The Blue Ridge Parkway goes not far behind my house.  I take it to work each day.  I don't always appreciate what a nice area I live in.
Vandyyke
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 10:03:26 pm »

I can't believ you haven't been to Williamsburg! You are so close. How far are you from the Appalachian Trail. I plan on doing it sometime (Not July-August)
Oscar

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 12:05:30 am »

Folks,

(Amy, Dave S. and VanDave)

I would highly recommend a trip to Williamsburg.  Caryl and I visited Dave and Loretta in N.C. about 5 years ago.  Then we went up to the peninsula where Jamestown, Yorktown battlefield, and Williamsburg are all located within 14 miles of one another.  The place is hog heaven for a history buff, and highly interesting for just about anyone.

Williamsburg is all that VanDave claims it is.  You could easily spend two or three days there seeing all the exhibits and talking to the characters.  The characters are doing jobs like baking, carpentry, blacksmiths, chambermaids, judges, soldiers, millers...on and on.  They do the job the way it was done in 1774, and also when you talk to the characters they act as if it really is 1774 and tell you what they think from that viewpoint.  I listened to a speech by Patrick Henry himself!

Patrick was holding forth from a bench under an oak tree about how America should be free of English rule.  He took questions from the audience, so I asked him just how he thought the colonies could resist the might of the British Empire.  He was counting on France, mostly.  He was also quite open about his strong Christian faith.

As VanDave said, it was a hoot to visit places like the church where Washington, Henry, Mason and many more had worshipped.

BTW, if you ever go...take lots of CASH!   The place is expensive.

Jamestown and Yorktown were also highly interesting.  You can see those two places in one long day.  If, that is, you avoid the commercial Jamestown amusement park that is next to the real one.

Tom Maddux
Vandyyke
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 12:09:35 am »

I participated in a debate on wether to stay faithfull to "The Crown" or choose "Liberty". (This goes on in the courthouse) I pointed out that "...Christ commands us to pay our taxes!...and the the Apostle instructs us to "obey the government" The place went silent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, the man leading the meeting pipes up, "And that means whatever government we are under!"

So fun to see them squirm!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 12:31:17 am by Vandyyke » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 02:02:34 am »

VanDave,

Why did they go silent?  If you had been talking to Patrick Henry or some contemporary of similar views he would have answered you immediately.

The prevalent political theory among evangelicals at the time was that the sovereign was a servant of God.  If he became a tyrant and deprived people of rights given to the by their Creator they were absolved from obedience.  If the rights were granted directly by the Creator, the king had no authority to suspend them.  That is the thinking behind the Declaration of Independence.

Tom Maddux
Vandyyke
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 09:40:47 am »

My feeling is that the crowd of tourists (not docents or actors) were contemporary Christians. When they heard me quote scripture their initial reaction was to shout, "Huzza" Yet, I was taking the position of a Tory!!!  So they didn't know what to do. Shout "God Save the King"? They seemed oblivious to the fact that Christians could be loyalists! They were ignorant. Even you couldn't deny that there is more weight in the words of Jesus Christ and the Apostle Paul then in some topical sermon on "absolvence". Remember, Paul instructed Christians who were under a Roman government that severly abused them! The Romans took away their rights as citizens! What did Paul say to do? Revolt? You know what he said! He said "Obey"!

(This is why Benjamin Franklin decided to define rights as given by Nature and NOT God!) 

btw
Did the king refuse the colonists representation? Not if you examine the Brittish Constitution! They were represented in good faith! (Just trust the Lord brother!)

God save the King!!!!!!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 07:49:30 pm by Vandyyke » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: