AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 06:10:32 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: harry potter  (Read 7632 times)
doug

Email
« on: July 18, 2007, 06:13:32 am »

What do folks think of harry potter films? I've only seen snippets of the first one. but I must say the previews seem quite beautiful visually. I sure seems odd that sorcery for kids is so popular. Could this and the easy access for so many dark things on the internet be a route for bondage for young people? It sounds very ugly to me.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 06:20:38 am by doug » Logged
DavidM
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 06:29:58 am »

I saw the latest movie.(And read the book) It was great!  As Harry gets older his life gets increasingly complex, difficult and seemingly futile. He struggles with his emotions (puberty) etc... The story comes to a semi climax when Sirus Black (his Godfather) tells him, "The world isn't made up of people who are completely evil and people who are completely good." "We all have good and evil inside of us!" "What matters is how you choose to deal with them!" Harry always chooses the good!  This is partly why many Christians encourage these books!

http://www.ctlibrary.com/ct/2003/juneweb-only/6-16-42.0.html
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 06:45:23 am by DavidM » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 03:13:50 am »

What do folks think of harry potter films? I've only seen snippets of the first one. but I must say the previews seem quite beautiful visually. I sure seems odd that sorcery for kids is so popular. Could this and the easy access for so many dark things on the internet be a route for bondage for young people? It sounds very ugly to me.

Doug,

The Harry Potter films present the public with a hodge-podge of modern Wiccan practices and medieval ideas about Witchcraft.  All the nonsense about broom riding, wand wiggling, talking pictures and so on is, IMHO, just fun and games.  No man or boy who ever fell off his bicycle seat onto the crossbar could possibly believe in broom riding.   :rofl:   Tongue  Quiddage is just not possible, in any world.

On the other hand the movies are heavily laced with Wiccan practices and beliefs.  Most folks think that Wicca and Witchcraft are the same thing.  However, they are not.  Wicca is a modern religion of fairly recent origin.  It has its roots in a Hindu-Monistic worldview where reality can be altered by powerful minds or special verbal formulas known only to specially trained folks.

Medieval Witchcraft (to whatever degree it ever was actually practiced) was sort of an anti-religion, where people  made pacts with the Devil who then would assign them demons to empower their spells and potions.  The ideas about black masses, human sacrifices, baby's blood and such came into our culture from this "stream".  You had to actually believe in the Christian teaching on Satan to believe in this, since it was so much involved in a reversal of Christian ideas.

Pagan sorcery, which is the subject of so many OT and NT condemnations and prohibitions was based in Polytheism.  People believed in many gods and various subordinate powers and had a wide variety of practices designed to attract their aid or send trouble to others.  Much of the content of Ephesians and Colossians is designed to free the early Christians of their fear of or temptation to dabble in this stuff.

One thing all of these have in common is that they are all forms of sorcery.  Sorcery is absolutely forbidden in the scriptures and severe warnings are frequent.  Revelation 21:8 comes to mind.

So, I suppose that the Harry Potter movies effect on people depends on what they do with them.  I have seen a couple of them.  Viewed as entertaining fantasies they are just that.  But there is a real fascination with the occult in the modern world, and I would not wish to influence any child into going down that route.

I did some reading in the link you provided to the Christianity Today blog.  One author told of his having been completly fascinated by the supernatural realm as a boy, reading many books, going to movies, playing games.  He says that finally these "imaginary" beings in his head began actually talking to him!  He was from a Christian background, and cried out to God for deliverance.  He is definitely not in favor of HP books and movies now.

The CT blog also said that Rowling receives a large volume of mail that shows that many accept the movies as factual.  She gets many letters begging her to tell them how to enroll in the Hogwarts School!!   Shocked

Tom Maddux
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 03:19:33 am by Tom Maddux » Logged
DavidM
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 04:46:40 am »

Children have a very strong capacity for the supernatural. All cultures play on this capacity and use myths, fantasy and fairy tales to teach lessons and pass along their values etc... I have read and reread the HP books and see nothing that would justify the alarms that were sounded by the religious right a few years back. It is just like Elvis and The Beatles!  Pretty harmless when we look at them today!
outdeep

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 07:02:08 am »

I have read and reread the HP books and see nothing that would justify the alarms that were sounded by the religious right a few years back.
I guess I missed the unified alarm from the religious right.  From where I sit (and having been a part of the so-called religious right), I find folks in the Evangelical church as rather mixed.  I know some who have put their kids in home-school or Christian school to prevent their kids from being exposed to HP.  On the other hand, I find others who buy the book the minute they hit the shelf.  The RR has rather diverse opinions about many things except things such as killing one's offspring where one has to juggle their moral universe in order to justify.

As for me, I have been under-impressed with the HP movies.  The last one (not the one that just hit the theaters) was out-right bad but then it was the longest book which just could not fit in two hours.  The best way to enjoy HP is to get the audio CD as the reader is fantastic.

For me, the books are simply fantasy about a boy who does some jerky things who ultimately chooses good even though the book provides no real moral framework to explain why.  Like David M alluded to, good and evil just sort of happens out of the personal choices of the characters as opposed to an aspiring to or rejecting of something that is transcendent.

I think we Christians who have the truth should be leading the way in literature and art.  Unfortunatly, all we can muster is the Left Behind series and the Prayer of Jabez coffee commuter mug.  Sigh. Undecided  (Sorry, I'm dating myself - I guess Your Best Life Now is the latest in Wal-Mart Christianity Cry).

Whatever you say about HP, they are good, well-written stories that keeps the reader's interest, has interesting characters, keeps the reader up to speed, and leaves enough questions to keep the reader wondering what is around the corner. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 07:05:50 am by Dave Sable » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 12:26:32 am »

Tom---

You said:

No man or boy who ever fell off his bicycle seat onto the crossbar could possibly believe in broom riding.

I couldn't agree with you more (he says with an unusually high-pitched voice).
doug

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 07:02:43 am »

Having never read the books I nevertheless know form having read the wikipedia descriptions of them that they do have a sophisticated and well thought out storyline. one must acknowledge that they are quite well written to have struck such a chord with childrenas well as adults. but the thing that intrigues and somewhat puzzles me is the unparralled sucess they have had. One would imagine that very few authors of childrens fiction become multi-millionaires and even fewer become billionaires. Why are they so very succesful and yet at the same time so clearly dark?
In the previews the main characters are shown casting hexes on each other and pointing magic wands to turn each other into snakes or whatever. what would this lead impressionable young people to want to do? or what if some other group or individual starts to do such things in real life? I know from first hand experience there are some evil kids out there.
I remember when i first heard of the books it was from a time magazine cover story. I was living in a brothers home at the time and was enjoined not to read the books because of their dark content. Would young people steeped in such darkness be much more accepting of such dark evil behaviour.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 07:24:15 am by doug » Logged
DavidM
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 04:45:11 am »

I think that "Fantasy" has always been a genre. It doesn't necessarily speak to us about realism. It touches our psyche. When I read about a "Bogart" or better known as a "Shapeshifter" I don't think to myself. "Oh, I better watch out for one of these guys!" But I do learn how to deal with unreasonable fears!  RIDICUOUS!!!!!!  I guess you would have to know the books to understand what a "Bogart" is!

Think about it in these terms. David had to fight Goliath!  Goliath was a demonic being and a giant as well!  So what do we learn from this story?  We have to fight demonic influences all the time. Fears, anxieties, spiritual warfare. Maybe NOT giants but in our minds eye we confront them!  We fight them on a spiritual level!   "In the name of Jesus I rebuke you"

btw- I love your grammar! and mispellings! and punctuation!  Don't let anyone dis you about it!!!!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 04:49:44 am by DavidM » Logged
DavidM
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 07:39:09 am »

I have read the first few chapters of the "Deathly Hallows"  I came across this on page 74

"Yeah," said Harry. "Thank God"
doug

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 05:35:44 am »

does that mean he's a good christian or that he carelessly take the lord name in vain?
the tolkien books and chronicles to narnia had varying degrees of christian reference and symbolism. these books have none. yet they are similar to them in their popularity and fantasy type book.
I saw a harry potter majic wand in a book store not long ago. i dont want some kid putting a hex on me. is there any hexing or conjuring in LOTR?
DavidM
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 07:09:17 am »

In Ch 8 Harry discusses the 4 Spiritual Laws!    (just kidding.)  I am reading the book Deathly Hallows. Very interesting the battle inside Harry's mind!
Oscar

Email
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 07:56:37 am »

does that mean he's a good christian or that he carelessly take the lord name in vain?
the tolkien books and chronicles to narnia had varying degrees of christian reference and symbolism. these books have none. yet they are similar to them in their popularity and fantasy type book.
I saw a harry potter majic wand in a book store not long ago. i dont want some kid putting a hex on me. is there any hexing or conjuring in LOTR?

In the LOTR Gandalf does some spells.  One that comes to mind is where he is trying to open the backdoor at Moria.

Tom Maddux
DavidM
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 05:14:22 am »

I just finished the last book!  It was great!  Anyone else read it?
Germany98

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 03:28:02 pm »

Harry Potter and Lord of the rings have a great phenomenon: I could not read one chapter of HP without feeling bored, the movie "Lord of the rings" (don't even remember which part) put me almost asleep... WAY too long and bothersome *uah* good night
doug

Email
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 05:07:41 pm »

Well, the HP books are for kids.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: