AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 10:22:28 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Samuel  (Read 16682 times)
thomasson

Email
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 08:19:57 pm »

Hi thomasson,

Looks like you are saying you see Dave's point but disagree with him.

Those are the facts as I remember them too, and added to that there was hospital aid, and a school as well, and children's ministry training.

In light of the facts I believe that Samuel was definitely very influenced by the Geftakys ministry.  George spent about 2 weeks in Nigeria almost every year.  He only spent about 2-4 days/year in most of the assemblies in North America, yet his influence was undeniably present.

While I also believe that some can re-learn, it is dishonest for them to claim that George's ministry was of little influence because of proximity or otherwise.

Marcia

Marcia: 

You are probably right.  As I said earlier I wanted to believe that Samuel was the way he was because of his Nigerian heritage, but now that you mention it I don't think anyone got away unscathed by George's ministry.
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2005, 07:26:51 am »

Tom and Moonflower:

Thanks for the information.  I had heard that "Indians" preferred to be called "Indians."  Yet I didn't want to do it here because Columbus was mistaken in thinking that he had reached India.   You would think that they would want to be called by the name of their group---whether Lakota, Navaho, Wintu, or whatever they call themselves.

Matt
Oscar

Email
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 10:50:59 am »

Tom and Moonflower:

Thanks for the information.  I had heard that "Indians" preferred to be called "Indians."  Yet I didn't want to do it here because Columbus was mistaken in thinking that he had reached India.   You would think that they would want to be called by the name of their group---whether Lakota, Navaho, Wintu, or whatever they call themselves.

Matt

Matt,

This idea seems reasonable to us.  However, it also is problematic. 

Seems that most of the indian tribal  names that we are familiar with are the names that trappers or neighboring tribes used.  I turns out that most tribes just called themselves, "The People", using whatever word meant that in their own language. 

For example, we know one major tribe by the name the French knew them by...the "Sioux".  This bunch actually had at least three major divisions, and called themselves, "Dakotah", "Lakotah", and (if I remember correctly) "Nakotah". 

The tribe we call the "Nez Perce" were called that by the French trappers who were commenting on the bones they wore in their noses.

The tribe we call the "Navaho" call themselves the "Dineh", which means.....you guessed it...the people. They call us the "Belaganah", which means, "crackpot blowhard know-it-all ex-cult memebers."   Roll Eyes

Blessings,

Thomas Maddux
outdeep

Email
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2005, 04:13:02 pm »

Matt,

This idea seems reasonable to us.  However, it also is problematic. 

Seems that most of the indian tribal  names that we are familiar with are the names that trappers or neighboring tribes used.  I turns out that most tribes just called themselves, "The People", using whatever word meant that in their own language. 

For example, we know one major tribe by the name the French knew them by...the "Sioux".  This bunch actually had at least three major divisions, and called themselves, "Dakotah", "Lakotah", and (if I remember correctly) "Nakotah". 

The tribe we call the "Nez Perce" were called that by the French trappers who were commenting on the bones they wore in their noses.

The tribe we call the "Navaho" call themselves the "Dineh", which means.....you guessed it...the people. They call us the "Belaganah", which means, "crackpot blowhard know-it-all ex-cult memebers."   Roll Eyes

Blessings,

Thomas Maddux

I get it.  The indians didn't have a name.  They were simply the people locally expressed.   Grin
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: