AssemblyBoard
April 18, 2024, 05:04:53 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: STOCKS  (Read 36974 times)
David Mauldin
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2005, 01:18:49 am »

I just bought 1 Yes 1 share of Berkshire Hathaway BRK.B  at 3 grand!!!! Yes 3 grand!!!!  Why?Huh   It is the stock for See's Candies!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin  It has gone from 1 to 3 in the last 3 years!  NOT BAAAAAD!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 01:20:28 am by David Mauldin » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2005, 09:11:59 pm »

If you are heavily weighted in equities or even in an index fund, you had better start minding the store...something's up...or should I say down??!!
Call your broker and flee to the safe haven of a money market fund..trust me, you'll be much better off...
I can trade directly and yesterday moved EVERYTHING...!
Verne
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 09:14:31 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2005, 12:55:30 am »

The following post comes from Mark Campbell:

Hi Verne!

I love to hear the negative sentiment on the market that seems to be growing.  The reason for that is that I'm a "value" investor who looks to buy low and sell high.

September can be a bad month for stocks, but also a great opportunity to find value.

Check out tech., specifically semi-conductors, like AMCC, AMTL, etc. as these are trading at very low P/E's and have a ton of cash on hand (including no debt).

You maybe will have to wait a few years, but these are trading at half of their true value right now.

Buying some Merck (MRK) right now is a great 'Contrarian' trade and includes a nice dividend as well.

God Bless all Bulls and Bears,  Mark C.

Note:  Opinions expressed within the "quote" box are those of Mark Campbell, and do not necessarily represent those of the management Grin Grin.  (See "Mark Campbell By Proxy" thread.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 07:44:20 pm by al Hartman, aka Weird al » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2005, 12:03:41 pm »

Hi Verne!

I love to hear the negative sentiment on the market that seems to be growing.  The reason for that is that I'm a "value" investor who looks to buy low and sell high.

September can be a bad month for stocks, but also a great opportunity to find value.

Check out tech., specifically semi-conductors, like AMCC, AMTL, etc. as these are trading at very low P/E's and have a ton of cash on hand (including no debt).

You maybe will have to wait a few years, but these are trading at half of their true value right now.

Buying some Merck (MRK) right now is a great 'Contrarian' trade and includes a nice dividend as well.

God Bless all Bulls and Bears,  Mark C.

I agree that there are some great buys for the perceptive, and those willing to risk some capital.
10,500 has been my medium term floor for being in equities and I am wondering if the long anticipated China effect is starting to take its toll. The trend the last weeks has been downward. How long can we continue to soak up 80% of all global capitilization and still pretend to be a prosperous country? I heard George Souros has made a huge bet against the dollar...he is very rarely wrong...they call him one-way George, and for good reason...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 12:05:19 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2005, 07:46:15 pm »

These days, Cathy & I find ourselves investing heavily in petroleum products... Cry Cry
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2005, 09:53:58 pm »

This is a test post!

I'm just trying to see if I can post now.

God Bless, Mark C.
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2005, 10:08:42 pm »

Wunderbar!!!! Smiley Smiley

It appears I can now post!

Verne:  If one invests in "bubble" momentum stocks (like Google) that are trading way, way, beyond reasonable valuations it can be expected that such speculations will result in getting your clock cleaned eventually.

If one instead searches for deep value stocks that have fallen out of favor with high-flying traders, and you can wait 3 to 5 years, your patience will be rewarded.

As big a mover and shaker as George Soros is, his trading actions alone cannot cause a dollar meltdown.   He may be known as "one way George", and that is how to hit trading home runs, but you can bet he hedges himself against mistaken bets.

Even big traders are only correct about 20% of the time, and this means that the most important aspect of trading is money management.  This means that only 2% of their captial is ever put at risk of loss.  The largest part of Soros $'s are in very conservative and safe places, and his risk captial is the smallest percentage of his positions.

God bless,  Mark C.
vernecarty
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2005, 09:19:36 am »

Wunderbar!!!! Smiley Smiley

It appears I can now post!

Verne:  If one invests in "bubble" momentum stocks (like Google) that are trading way, way, beyond reasonable valuations it can be expected that such speculations will result in getting your clock cleaned eventually.

If one instead searches for deep value stocks that have fallen out of favor with high-flying traders, and you can wait 3 to 5 years, your patience will be rewarded.

As big a mover and shaker as George Soros is, his trading actions alone cannot cause a dollar meltdown.   He may be known as "one way George", and that is how to hit trading home runs, but you can bet he hedges himself against mistaken bets.

Even big traders are only correct about 20% of the time, and this means that the most important aspect of trading is money management.  This means that only 2% of their captial is ever put at risk of loss.  The largest part of Soros $'s are in very conservative and safe places, and his risk captial is the smallest percentage of his positions.

God bless,  Mark C.

My new rule is that if you are not paying a nice dividend and reasonably free of debt, I am not interested. The U.S is living in an illusion of prosperity but we are in fact in economic trouble, deep trouble. George may be hedging his bets on the future of the dollar, but my money is on his call. I am surprised that people shorting the dollar have any takers at all.
I agree with you about the high-flyers. The key is knowing when to unload... Grin
Verne
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 09:21:50 am by VerneCarty » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: