AssemblyBoard
May 04, 2024, 12:00:51 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom Osborne Named Interim Athletic Director at Nebraska  (Read 3847 times)
Uh Oh

Email
« on: October 17, 2007, 01:29:15 am »

My bad, I thought this was Rivals.com
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 03:53:57 am »

Glad you made the error. That Tom Osborne should do a great job as the Interim Athletic
Director at Nebraska. I met him on a bus on the way to buy some Twinkies at a Target once. He
is a really nice guy. His mother used to be an opera singer--most people aren't aware of that.
Can you imagine the Interim Athletic Director of a major University having a mother who was an
opera singer? It doesn't happen very often--I can tell you that. I got off the bus with him near
a street called Sepulveda, and we both bought a hot dog from a street vendor there. This may
sound unbelievable, but that hot dog vendor's great uncle was the Interim Athletic Director of a
major University too, and get this(!)---his mother was an opera singer too!!  He really made great hot
dogs, and we were both really full afterwards. Tom said he had to go to some luncheon, and I had
to go buy those Twinkies, so we bid each other a fond adieu. Hot dogs and Interim athletic directors
sometimes bring back the greatest memories.

Thanks for the post, even though it was in error. It really brought tears to my eyes.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 04:02:41 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Christine
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 04:34:19 am »

My bad, I thought this was Rivals.com

Thanks for providing some humor   :rofl:
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 05:02:36 am »

My exact thoughts too. That Tom Osborne is a rather hilarious fellow. He told me when he
was a child his Grandmother, "Edna Osborne", used to chew tobacco in her rocking chair,
and a had this strange habit of yelling things out the window. First she'd spit the tobacco,
(he told me this while eating a "Ho-Ho" on the bus, which made me want the Twinkies I was
was going to buy at Target sound even more delicious than they most likely were), then she'd
yell something like: "Consarn it! I hadn't even done knittin' the socks before the cat spilt my hot tea!"

Tom said that he and his brothers used to pull "tricks" on her all the time (He told me this while
we were crossing Reseda boulevard on the bus towards Sepulveda. I was really getting hungry
and thinking more about the Twinkies every minute). He told me that once they took her hearing
aid away from her and then they....     That was as far as he got with the story because the bus pulled up to
Sepulveda and we exited there and headed to the Hot Dog stand where the vendor told us his great
uncle was an Interim Athletic Director for a major University, and his mother used to be an opera
singer. Boy, those hot dogs were good I tell you. He never finished the story about his Grandmother,
so I only got to laugh half as long at his joke, but it was all worth it. So I too have really appreciated
the humor, because it has brought back some really amazing memories. The bus had an add for Barbasol
Shave cream on the side of it---you don't see that too often I tell you.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 05:05:20 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 08:18:22 pm »

My apologies to Tom Osborne, whose grandmother never chewed tobacco a day in her life.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: