AssemblyBoard
May 19, 2024, 11:31:22 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Aesop's Fables  (Read 9632 times)
Recovering Saint

Email
« on: May 31, 2005, 09:55:17 am »

Aesop's Fables

The Bat, the Birds and the Beasts

A great conflict was about to come off between the Birds and the Beasts.  When the two armies were collected together the Bat hesitated which to join.  The Birds that passed his perch said:  "Come with us"; but he said: "I am a Beast."  Later on, some Beasts who were passing underneath him looked up and said: "Come with us"; but he said: "I am a Bird." Luckily at the last moment peace was made, and no battle took place, so the Bat came to the Birds and wished to join in the rejoicings, but they all turned against him and he had to fly away.  He then went to the Beasts, but soon had to beat a retreat, or else they would have torn him to pieces.  "Ah," said the Bat, "I see now,

"He that is neither one thing nor the other has no friends."
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 09:56:51 am by Hugh » Logged
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 10:11:56 am »

Jesus was clear. I always do what I see My Father in Heaven doing. And I always do what is pleasing to Him. The Christian Life is not for spectators or people who want to be noticed it is for those who pick the side they believe the Lord wants them to chose and give themselves to it. A person who is just commenting on others way of living is not living but is only a critic and will not enjoy the fruits of life and will complain that they should have some.

Hugh
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 03:12:02 pm »

The Ass in the Lion's Skin

An Ass once found a Lion's skin which the hunters had left out
in the sun to dry.  He put it on and went towards his native
village.  All fled at his approach, both men and animals, and he
was a proud Ass that day.  In his delight he lifted up his voice
and brayed, but then every one knew him, and his owner came up and
gave him a sound cudgelling for the fright he had caused.  And
shortly afterwards a Fox came up to him and said: "Ah, I knew you
by your voice."

Fine clothes may disguise, but
   silly words will disclose a fool.
vernecarty
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 06:36:46 pm »

A person who is just commenting on others way of living is not living but is only a critic and will not enjoy the fruits of life and will complain that they should have some.
Hugh

My dear brother Hugh, are you possibly saying that some of us talk too much?  Smiley
I know that I do...trying to change that, by His grace...
I suspect that if more of us thought about the impact of the things we post prior to doing so, it would influence what was said.
The current problem on the BB is that folk are trying to publicy resolve matters that would far better be handled privately.
When you escalate a disagreement on a public forum without previously attempting to resolve it privately, you are not interested in peace...you are interested in grandstanding and ostentatation...

He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.
In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.
The tongue of the just is as choice silver: the heart of the wicked is little worth.
The lips of the righteous feed many: but fools die for want of wisdom.

Verne
M2
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 07:03:07 pm »

The current problem on the BB is that folk are trying to publicy resolve matters that would far better be handled privately.
When you escalate a disagreement on a public forum without previously attempting to resolve it privately, you are not interested in peace...you are interested in grandstanding and ostentatation...

One would not necessarily know if one had not previously attempted to privately resolve the problem, unless they publicly state that they had first attempted a private resolution eh??  that was quite a mouthful. Smiley

Marcia
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 07:21:56 pm by Marcia » Logged
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 06:47:04 am »

My dear brother Hugh, are you possibly saying that some of us talk too much?  Smiley
I know that I do...trying to change that, by His grace...
I suspect that if more of us thought about the impact of the things we post prior to doing so, it would influence what was said.

He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.
In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.
The tongue of the just is as choice silver: the heart of the wicked is little worth.
The lips of the righteous feed many: but fools die for want of wisdom.

Verne

Verne

Talk is fine but talk is cheap without action. That was my point. It is always more important to have action come out of faith and the word rather than just more talk. In my life I have grown more in the past couple years in my walk because I have had to step out in faith and believe God for Him to work. I didn't have a multitude of people telling me what to do but I had God's Word and the prayers of those around and the support that says We are with you Do something with all the knowledge glorify God. We can sit and watch and nay say or we can get involved and learn as we go. So talk if you want but remember when it is clear what to do don't just talk about it do it. It applies generally and not specifically. I need to hear this and so possibly do many others. We know so much and have often become spiritually constipated.

Lets live the faith as well as talk it.

Hugh  Grin
vernecarty
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 06:56:50 am »

Verne

Talk is fine but talk is cheap without action. That was my point. It is always more important to have action come out of faith and the word rather than just more talk. In my life I have grown more in the past couple years in my walk because I have had to step out in faith and believe God for Him to work. I didn't have a multitude of people telling me what to do but I had God's Word and the prayers of those around and the support that says We are with you Do something with all the knowledge glorify God. We can sit and watch and nay say or we can get involved and learn as we go. So talk if you want but remember when it is clear what to do don't just talk about it do it. It applies generally and not specifically. I need to hear this and so possibly do many others. We know so much and have often become spiritually constipated.

Lets live the faith as well as talk it.

Hugh  Grin

Amen!
Verne
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 03:05:16 pm »

The Crab and Its Mother

A CRAB said to her son, "Why do you walk so one-sided, my child? It is far more becoming to go straight forward."  The young Crab replied:  "Quite true, dear Mother; and if you will show me the straight way, I will promise to walk in it."  The Mother tried in vain, and submitted without remonstrance to the reproof of her child. 

Example is more powerful than precept.
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 04:05:42 am »

The Bear and the Two Travelers

TWO MEN were traveling together, when a Bear suddenly met them on their path.  One of them climbed up quickly into a tree and concealed himself in the branches.  The other, seeing that he must be attacked, fell flat on the ground, and when the Bear came up and felt him with his snout, and smelt him all over, he held his breath, and feigned the appearance of death as much as he could.  The Bear soon left him, for it is said he will not touch a dead body.  When he was quite gone, the other Traveler descended from the tree, and jocularly inquired of his friend what it was the Bear had whispered in his ear.  "He gave me this advice," his companion replied.  "Never travel with a friend who deserts you at the approach of danger." 

Misfortune tests the sincerity of friends.

-------------------------------------------

I think this one is a good one. Do we stick with those who need us through thick and thin or are we fair weather friends. I could tell you about someone who posts here regularily and how they have been faithful to help me in time of need when others turned away and even criticized me. Praise God for them. They know who they are and how they helped me so I don't need to embarass them or take their reward. Stick with people when the going gets tough don't give up on them.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  Jesus Math 7:12 Hugh's horrible paraphrase.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 04:19:04 am by Hugh » Logged
summer007

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 09:28:10 pm »

Hugh, These are really Great! I remember these as a child and the Teacher saying now what is the Moral of the Story. And as for talking animals the Bible starts in Genesis with a talking snake and then we have a talking donkey in Numbers. Does anyone find it strange that Eve just talked to a snake and was'nt afraid, but when God calls for them they hide out of fear ? Do you think animals talked back then on a regular basis? Here are two instances before and after the fall. Do you believe this?  Summer.
vernecarty
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 10:20:54 pm »

Hugh, These are really Great! I remember these as a child and the Teacher saying now what is the Moral of the Story. And as for talking animals the Bible starts in Genesis with a talking snake and then we have a talking donkey in Numbers. Does anyone find it strange that Eve just talked to a snake and was'nt afraid, but when God calls for them they hide out of fear ? Do you think animals talked back then on a regular basis? Here are two instances before and after the fall. Do you believe this?  Summer.

What I want to know is where in the hec was Adam when all this chit-chatting was going between Eve and you-know-who... Smiley
Verne
p.s some folk thnk he was right there listening to the entire exchange...I don't think so...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 10:34:48 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
summer007

Email
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 11:19:30 pm »

This was a very big beautiful garden, he could of been doing many things.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 03:47:32 am »

Summer----

I think animals did talk back then. That's a good point about Eve not being afraid of a
snake--although she was completely innocent at that point---babies aren't afraid of
snakes either, not knowing there is anything to fear about them.  But animals may
have talked--who knows?  Parrots, Toucans, etc. have the ability to talk--even if it
is only mimicing sounds now. Maybe they could have spoken of their own volition. I
have heard of a thing called Pigeon English.

--Joe
summer007

Email
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 03:58:42 am »

Joe, I was thinking of the "Mockingbird" good point! Summer....p.s. If she/Eve was so innocent, why did she dis-obey God's command?
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 05:13:32 am »

Summer---

That's a mystery alright. But the Bible says that before she ate of the apple that everything
that was created on the 6th day was "good" and God was well pleased. Maybe a good example
is an innocent little 5 year old. The mother says "Don't talk to strangers", but we all know that
all it takes is a rather convincing "stranger" with the offer of candy, or to help find a missing
puppy, to tempt the child into disobeying Mom, and to lure them off. This unfortunately happens
way too often, but demonstrates, I think, how Eve was tempted too(though she was tempted
in a different manner). But I think she "knew" when she was making the wrong decision, and that
was the origin of her sin.

--Joe
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 05:18:32 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: