AssemblyBoard
May 19, 2024, 09:51:23 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Blogs you read  (Read 21122 times)
Arthur
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2004, 01:28:38 am »

38.46154% - Major Geek

I thought that listening to Conversational Klingon narrated by Michael Dorn might give me some bonus points.  Tongue
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2004, 01:46:42 am »

38.46154% - Major Geek

I thought that listening to Conversational Klingon narrated by Michael Dorn might give me some bonus points.  Tongue

I would think the fact that you even want bonus points should earn you some bonus points!   Shocked

Well, I though Arthur would give him a run for his money, but so far Lucas is by far and away the biggest geek on the board.  Grin

S
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2004, 02:06:32 am »

Well, I though Arthur would give him a run for his money, but so far Lucas is by far and away the biggest geek on the board.  Grin

S

Tongue

Does it get me more points to mention that my girlfriend is a triple major in voice, theater, and computer science?  Roll Eyes

--
lucas
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2004, 02:47:12 am »

S

Tongue

Does it get me more points to mention that my girlfriend is a triple major in voice, theater, and computer science?  Roll Eyes

--
lucas

Sorry, that's a different thread: Guys who date out of their league! Wink

S
Arthur
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2004, 07:17:40 am »

S

No question.  Smiley

Tongue

--
lucas

No, because voice and theatre don't really count.  They, like all general ed and liberal arts classes, are just a means of boosting your GPA to balance out the difficult upper division major engineering, math and science courses.  Tongue  Can I get away with that?  Any pretend...er...I mean non-trade majors out there?  

Thing is, there might be, but they probably wouldn't be able to figure it out.  Anyone want to dumb-down...er...translate what I just said?  

Just kidding, Heheh   Cheesy

Arthur
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2004, 07:30:23 am »

Tongue

--
lucas

No, because voice and theatre don't really count.  They, like all general ed and liberal arts classes, are just a means of boosting your GPA to balance out the difficult upper division major engineering, math and science courses.  Tongue  Can I get away with that?  Any pretend...er...I mean non-trade majors out there?  

Thing is, there might be, but they probably wouldn't be able to figure it out.  Anyone want to dumb-down...er...translate what I just said?  

Arthur

Arthur, I think you may be missing the point in such a way that proves your geekness.

If any of you uber-geeks can convince a talented, brilliant triple major to go out with you, you should get as many points as you want!

Scott "Revenge of the Liberal Arts Majors" McCumber Grin
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2004, 08:09:14 am »

Tongue

--
lucas

Arthur

Does computer science count?  I once had to take a programming class at the university to fulfill the general education requirements.  I was surprised when the instructor started writing misspelled words on the board.  I always thought that university instructors were supposed to know how to spell.
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2004, 08:35:45 am »

Does computer science count?  I once had to take a programming class at the university to fulfill the general education requirements.  I was surprised when the instructor started writing misspelled words on the board.  I always thought that university instructors were supposed to know how to spell.

Nah, speling abillaty is won of those inhairent skils. Without it yoo can lern oll the rools and memooriz werds and be a prity gud speler, but a nachural speler wil stil wip yoo in a speling be.

I no a lot of peepel whu ar signifkantlee smartr than I am (programars, teechrs, evn reeportrs) but kan't spel comun evary day werds such as "tomarow" too sayv thare lives, lett aloen sumthing like "onomatopoeia".

Yoo ether hav it or yoo done't.

S

Arthur
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2004, 09:48:07 am »

Hey, no knocking CSC majors.  The instructor was probably one of those eccentrics.  Either that or a grad student.  Or maybe a music major posing as a CSC instructor.

But, um, I have to confess that I had to look up how to spell "eccentric" on dictionary.com.  I do that a lot actually.  Why don't these message boards have a built-in spell checker?

OBTW, I've heard about those lower division CSC classes.  They are nothing like the upper division classes.  Let's just say its a little more complicated than learning how to make a C program that displays "Hello world" or converts Fahrenheit to Celsius (www.dictionary.com to my rescue again).   Grin

Arthur
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 09:54:14 am by Arthur » Logged
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2004, 12:11:55 am »

English is not neccesarily their first language......

--
lucas
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2004, 08:25:36 am »

It seems to me that rather than comparing software design to architecture, a better analogy would be city planning, at least for large projects.  Perhaps studying computer science is somewhat analogous to studying law and political science.  Working with modern operating systems and programming languages seems a lot like dealing with government bureaucracy.

Software vendors have figured out ways to discourage competition.  It is often difficult or impossible to find clear and precise documentation, except perhaps in a highly diluted form spread out over thousands of pages in several books with poor indexing, or help files of a similar nature.  Chaotic and confusing software organization is another hindrance to imitation.

In recent experience learning how to use a compiler for programmable gate arrays, I found that it was difficult to figure out which buttons did what, and where to specify the input, and where to look for the output.  Another consultant familiar with the software set up the project and did the DMA and processor interface part of the design.  He also linked in some DRAM controller logic that was written by someone else.

After learning that the best thing to feed the compiler was Verilog, I found a little bit of documentation of the Verilog language on the web.  Only a minimal amount of debugging was needed to get my part of the design to work (a couple of pages of code to control the imaging chip).  Designing hardware with Verilog is much easier than having to work out all of the details by hand, which is the way it had to be done years ago.  Even though Verilog has been around for several years, I hadn't learned it before, since I was stuck in a rut doing C language software development.
Oscar

Email
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2004, 09:56:23 am »

In recent experience learning how to use a compiler for programmable gate arrays, I found that it was difficult to figure out which buttons did what,

Hey, quityerbellyachin...that's how I feel about the keyboard for crying out loud.

He also linked in some DRAM controller logic that was written by someone else.

Hey, watch your language, this is a Christian website.    Wink

Thomas Maddux
Arthur
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2004, 11:19:21 am »

It seems to me that rather than comparing software design to architecture, a better analogy would be city planning, at least for large projects.  Perhaps studying computer science is somewhat analogous to studying law and political science.  Working with modern operating systems and programming languages seems a lot like dealing with government bureaucracy.

Software vendors have figured out ways to discourage competition.  It is often difficult or impossible to find clear and precise documentation, except perhaps in a highly diluted form spread out over thousands of pages in several books with poor indexing, or help files of a similar nature.  Chaotic and confusing software organization is another hindrance to imitation.

That's the beauty of Java.  Leave it to free-enterprise to create an open-platform language that comes with on-line documentation.    
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2004, 11:46:47 am »

That's the beauty of Java.  Leave it to free-enterprise to create an open-platform language that comes with on-line documentation.    

I'm with Tom...  To me the beauty of Java ia that a cup or two can jump-start my brain in the morning.  Grin

al

jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2004, 10:15:09 pm »

My heart jumped when Sun announced that they are still considering open sourcing Java with IBM.  That would be *awesome* Roll Eyes

but i must say, I immensely prefer perl or python to the java api.....it is amazing the things you can do with languages created by lazy hackers  Shocked

--
lucas
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 10:17:23 pm by Lucas Sturnfield » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: