AssemblyBoard
May 19, 2024, 11:39:06 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Biblical Inspiration and Inerrancy  (Read 20475 times)
paul hohulin

Email
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2003, 09:25:42 am »

One of the major mistakes that bible skeptics continually make is what Joseph Dillow(The Reign of the Servant Kings) calls illegitimate totality transfer.  This refers to the practice of people trying to interpret a biblical concept like (creation) and then drawing all kinds of conclusions based on their definition of what  the word means.  What they fail to realize that many times in the Greek and Hebrew there are many different words and definitions for the English word.  A little biblical exegesis will in most cases clear up the misconception.

For example in Genesis 1&2 we have a number of different words for create.
Some of the Hebrew words in Genesis 1&2 used for create.

bara- to create out of nothing- used in reference to God who creates ex nihilo.

hayah- be or become, to set in order, come to pass

asah-to do or make, in the broadest sense and widest application(I won't type them all here but this word can be used for about 60 different words in English.

These are just three of the words for create used in Genesis 1&2.  There are many others in the Hebrew language.
 To illustrate this, consider the verse in Isaiah 45:18"For thus saith the Lord that created (bara) the heavens; God himself that formed (yatsar) the earth and made (asah) it; he hath established (kun) it, he created (bara) it not in vain, he formed (yatar) it to be inhabited: I am the Lord; and there is none else." (Vine's Dictionary of the Old Testament)

Why is this important?  Genesis 1&2 make a lot more sense if you understand this.

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created(bara) the heavens and the earth.
Gen1:3 And God said, Let there be (hayah) light and there was light.
God had already created the heavens and the earth in Gen 1:1, in Gen 1:3 He is setting it in order.  We don't have the word (bara) used in this chapter again until he creates man.
Gen1:4b and God divided(badal) the light from the darkness.
Gen1:14 And God said, Let there be (hayah)lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night,
Gen1:16 And God made(asah) two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: He made the stars also.

Now these words bara, hayah, and asah are different Hebrew words.  If they are different words then they must mean different things.  The word asah alone can have over 60 different meanings in English.  God created light and then set in order in different aspects in regard to his creation.
Gen chapter one-  We see God as Elohim (the Creator)
Gen chapter two-  We see God as the Lord God . Lord(Yehovah) his covenant name, God(Elohim)(Creator)
Not two creation stories, but two different aspects of God's relationship with his creation.  Gen1 God's relationship with his creation as Creator.  Gen 2 God's relationship with His creation using the name that identifies the covenant relationship with his people.
In scripture the Holy Spirit will give an overall view of things and then go back and make emphasis on specifics.  It is a wonderful thing to see.  Check out the book of Revelation with the Seven seals( the overall scope of the book in the first part) Then through the rest of the book you move back and forth in the space time continuum as the Holy Spirit makes His particular emphasis on each part.  It may be hard to follow chronologically but it will yield tremendous fruit if you allow the Holy Spirit to guide you.

I Cor 2:14" The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

Natural man doesn't have the capability to understand the things of the Spirit of God with his unaided intellect.

I Cor 2:10" But God hath revealed them unto us by His Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God."

I would like to recommend a good book on Genesis called "Genesis Unbound" by John Sailhammer.  John Sailhammer is a great Hebrew scholar who has written a number of very good books.

Paul Hohulin
Oscar

Email
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2003, 09:51:58 am »

Thanks Paul,

That was excellent!

Thomas Maddux
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2003, 12:07:15 pm »

Thanks from me, too, Paul, for the clearest, most enlightening and easily understood post on this thread in far too long!

al Hartman
Will Jones

Email
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2003, 07:19:21 am »

Verne,   Smiley

I have intended more than once to withdraw from this dialogue.  Thanks to your recent posts, however, I have been getting more than a few letters of support.  It is clear to me and to those who have written me that seem to be getting frustrated and are bouncing around without dealing with the issues directly.  For example, your original post of April 20th that you edited a few hours later so it would not come across so huffy and cutting at the end.  To cite a few more examples, your quoting at length of Dr. Gleason L.  Archer, calling into question my ability to share the gospel, you challenging me with other questions so that you will not have to answer Contradiction Three, and you attempting to make me look silly by pretending to think or speak for me on more than one occasion is showing that you have lost focus and forgotten that this is just a dialogue among brothers and sisters.   Smiley  

I am thankful for this dialogue, as I have said before because it has caused me to re-examine my beliefs and I have found yet again that the notion of inerrancy comes out wanting.  In fact, I have found more passages in the Bible than I had in the past that demonstrates that men were inspired by God to communicate the gospel—the message of truth in the Bible, not give a perfectly reliable account of science.  You said to me that you would disprove the first three contradictions I brought up.  In your mind, you have dealt with the one and two but I knew you would stumble over Contradiction Three as I have and so many others have.

You wrote,
The Bible is a work of literature. Why do errantists petulantly hold the Bible to a standard that is different from that generally applied to such works?. Employment of figures of speech is common technique in works of literature of every kind! - Allegory, Metaphor, Hyperbole.
Is anyone reading these passages contextually prepared to argue that the writer intended to present a cosmological construct or dissertation? That is not, in my view, a reasonable stance.
Please consider the passage  given to us in Isaiah 24:20:

The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall be removed like a cottage; and the transgression thereof shall be heavy upon it; and it shall fall, and not rise again.  
Isaiah 24: 20

I would like to submit that this verse more closely approaches cosmological commentary.
Sorry, Verne, you are taking one passage and attempting to hint that we should understand this to mean that the cosmology related in the Bible is either figurative or poetic but not literal.  The ancients in Genesis 1 and throughout the Bible were relating their view of cosmology that they believed was true and what we know today is quite false.  As your Dr. Gleason L.  Archer wrote, “Bear in mind that inerrancy involves acceptance of and belief in whaterver the Biblical author meant by the words he used. If he meant what he said in a literal way, it is wrong to take it figuratively; but if he meant what he said in a figurative way, it is wrong to take it literally.” Genesis 1 is interpreted literally by many Christians and Genesis 1—and the rest of the Bible—relates an ancient cosmology we know today to be false.  Therefore, as Dr. Gleason L.  Archer says, “inerrancy involves acceptance of and belief in whaterver the Biblical author meant by the words he used.”  The multitude of passages in the Bible that deal with cosmology are often literal because the ancients had a very different, INCORRECT view of the cosmos.  I have written at length about this in other places.  Sufficed to say, the phenomenological argument and the argument that tries to mask all the references to cosmology as figurative or poetic simply does not work.  You, as your Doctor said, have to deal with Genesis 1 and the many other passages about cosmology literally.  (Yes, there are some poetic passages, but the “windows of heaven,” “the firmament,” etc. were seen as literal things.)  

I have a simple question of Will and any other supposed evangelical errantist reading this thread. Do you accept the Bible’s reportage of the above-mentioned events as true and reliable?
If yes, I will proceed to what I believe is an entirely credible Genesis cosmology and the matter of errant facts.
If you do not accept the Bible’s reporting of the above events as true and reliable, then my point is proven, my task is done, and I shall happily take six weeks off…
Verne
Verne, are you hoping I will say NO so you will not have to deal with Contradiction Three?  I accept the Bible at face value unless it is clear I should accept it otherwise.  Yes, I believe God can do miracles and has done what the Bible has related.  In fact, I accept the Bible as a very accurate history book that opens the doors to the past.  So continue if you wish, but know that it will force you to see the many errant references to cosmology in the Bible.

Your challenge:
I invite you to produce any writings of any pre-Eighteenth Century well-known, non-heretic Christian to the contrary...even men like Socinus and Sevetus appealed to Scripture's authority to try and justify heresies....
Verne
I was quite surprised by your post that attempted (like a few other Christian apologist have) to make Luther an inerrantist.  He most certainly was not.  He thought Job was a fable and that Jonah in the whale was not true.  He rejected James, Hebrews, Revelation, Jude as being apostolic and inspired.  Sadly, I presently do not have access to my many books I read years ago.  Here are some links though:
http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ325.HTM
http://matt1618.freeyellow.com/preface.html
http://members.aol.com/johnprh/deuterocanonical2.html
I have already given links to the early Church Fathers.  None of the early creeds mention Scripture as inerrant.  I have already, in past and present readings, seen to my satisfaction that the Princeton Scholars were the first to advocate that the Scriptures were inerrant in matters of science.  It is up to you and others who are interested to see for yourself.  I never intended to PROVE anything, just plant seeds in the hope that people will study and expand their minds.

Verne, you wrote,
Contrary to your assertions, inerrancy has been the historic position of the Church; they simply called it something else-infallibility. The term inerrancy was coined so there would be absolutely no doubt regarding the sharp contradisctinction between orthodox Christian teaching of the church, and the position being propagated by Will and viewed as heterodox (remember Wellhausen?); Will has it exactly backwards!
Really?  I have already shown you Luther did not accept the inerrancy of the Bible as we know it, NOW you back up what you said here.  BUT ONLY AFTER YOU DEAL WITH THE THIRD CONTRACTION I BROUGHT UP because we will never arrive at a common understanding of whether the Bible is inerrant or not from simply studying what the Church Fathers or Luther wrote because people interpret their writings very differently.  I have read many different books that argue that Luther and Augustine either believed or did not believe the Bible was without error.  The books or websites that argued they were inerrantist SELECTIVELY quoted their works and ignored other texts that I have read that show they saw human error in the Bible.  SO, we should not waste time studying what others wrote about the Bible but study the Bible to see if it is indeed inerrant.  So... Onwards to Contradiction Three...

Smiley
Will Jones

Email
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2003, 07:21:32 am »

Verne,  Smiley

I suggest that you only post on one thread because it adds to the impression that your responses have been disjointed due to quoting others at length, questioning me, making comments about my ability to preach the gospel, making challenges, refusing to go on unless I state my belief that the Bible’s history is quite accurate, etc.  One thread would be much easier for everyone to follow.

I give you, once again, the issues that you said you would deal with:

(3) How do you explain away all of the errant references to cosmology in Genesis and other books of the Bible?  Does the Bible in many places relate an ancient, incorrect view of Cosmology—YES or NO?  YES and this is not a matter of opinion but a matter of fact!  CONTRADICTION NUMBER THREE.  (Throw out the “phenomenological” counterargument because it is just an attempt to explain away the fact that the ancients INCORRECTLY described the world as they saw it.  It is true that the ancients wrote the Bible according to their perspective on the universe, but what they saw was incorrect and that makes what they wrote incorrect and errant from the standards of modern science AND this makes the Bible errant.   Does the Bible in many places relate an ancient, incorrect, PHENOMENOLOGOICAL view of Cosmology—YES!  CONTRADICTION NUMBER THREE .)

As far as what cosmology will be the standard, you ask?  Just the very basics:  
1. The earth rotates and is not immovable or has foundations like the Bible claims in some places.
2. The earth is round NOT flat like the Bible claims in some places.  
3.  That precipitation is a result of the water cycle of evaporation, etc. NOT God opening the windows of heaven like it says in some places.
4.  The sun does not circle the earth.  There are passages that describe the sun circling the earth which caused Luther, Calvin and the Catholic Church to disagree with the ideas of a sun-centered universe.
5.  The sun normally does not stand still and neither does the earth.  If the earth stood still to keep the sun in the sky for a longer period of time it would serious mess up the earth.
6. If (and I say IF) you think heaven is the universe beyond the earth's atmosphere, why do I remember reading that there are winds blowing in the four corners of heaven and heaven is held up by pillars?  There is no wind in space and heaven does not have any pillars or corners that I am aware of.
7. The earth and the universe are apparently much older than the Bible indicates.
8.  It is not possible to reach heaven where God dwells, but ancients like those who built the Tower of Babel and those who wrote that they saw Jesus ascend to heaven thought that it was possible.  Heaven was seen as a real place just above the dome or firmament.  So far, the Hubble telescope has not found God's throne--what we moderns interpret metaphorically but what was once thought of as literal just like hell/Hades was and perhaps still is by some.
9.  That there are no waters above (e.g., Ps. 104:3, etc.) in heaven or space that can pour of windows/floodgates of heaven.
10. That there is no dome or firmament that holds back the waters above like it claims in Genesis and elsewhere.  If this diagram were true (Have a look and click to advance the slide at http://www.siena.edu/tamburello/Cosmology%20of%20Genesis%201.ppt) then the space shuttle would have a hard time orbiting the earth that the ancient writers of the Bible claimed in more than one place was flat, immovable, etc.
paul hohulin

Email
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2003, 07:23:41 pm »

MGov,
You should be able to order "Genesis Unbound" from any Christian bookstore for about $15.
Hohulin
paul hohulin

Email
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2003, 07:54:47 pm »

MGov,
I was wrong.  I think that it might be out of print.  I can't believe that they are charging $128 for the book.  I would let you use my copy, but I gave it away to a friend.
Hohulin
paul hohulin

Email
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2003, 08:11:30 pm »

If you can't find the book "Genesis Unbound" here is a pretty good synopsis from Probe Ministries.

http://www.probe.org/docs/genesis.html

Hohulin
MGov

Email
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2003, 08:58:56 pm »

MGov,
I was wrong.  I think that it might be out of print.  I can't believe that they are charging $128 for the book.  I would let you use my copy, but I gave it away to a friend.
Hohulin

Thanks brother.
I found this link too:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/magazines/tj/docs/tjv14n3genesis_unbound.asp

Would have been interesting to see how you would manage(letting me use your copy) since I don't live in or near your neck of the woods.

sister M
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2003, 12:15:20 pm »

A few definitions of words Verne used in his last post:

PENULTIMATE:  Next to the last.  (Not to be confused with
                         Ultimatepen, which is a ballpoint the size
                         of a telephone pole.)

AFOREMENTIONED:  Mentioned more than three times, but
                              less than five.

CAVEAT:  An Appalachian word, used thusly:  "I heard
               there's a bear in a cave.  Where's the caveat?"

CURRRENT:  Scottish for CURRENT.

TEMPORAL:  Al is back from vacation, but the temporary
                    associate who was doing his job performed
                    better than he does, so now you have to
                    decide which of them to keep.

UNALTERABLE:  Can't get the guy to commit to marriage.

VERACITY:  Another Scottish word, as in "I was brrrought up
                  in the veracity in which I was borrrn."

...and, finally, as a tribute to Verne's fantastic sense of humor, let us acknowledge the numerous times he has, on this and another thread, referred to his own opinion as "Humble."

Love ya, Bro.!!!!!
al H.

al Hartman

Email
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2003, 06:25:31 pm »

i tried to pronounce HIPPOPOTOMONSTROSEQUIPEDALIAPHOBIA, but my tongue got tangled around my eye teeth and i couldn't see what i was saying...

al

sfortescue

Email
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2003, 12:30:54 pm »

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, any frame of reference can be used, and the laws of physics will still hold.  If you choose to consider the earth to be stationary, then the rotation of all the stars of the universe around the earth will produce a kind of gravitational field which reproduces the coriolis force which drives the ocean currents and winds.
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2003, 11:03:45 pm »

Thank you, Stephen, for a relevant and enlightening commentary.

Personally, i choose to consider the earth to be stationEry, upon which God is writing His story, to be read by all creation throughout the ages...

al Hartman
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2003, 12:19:27 am »

Hi All! Smiley
  I notice the first post from our good friend Steve Fortescue, who was an Assembly member in the Valley until 1981.  I look forward to more contributions from you Steve! Smiley              
   Beware!  This guy not only has read Einstein, he understands him! Cool
  Thank you Verne for your very valuable instruction re. understanding errancy.
   Thank you Al for providing the humorous definition of Verne's use of words. Grin
                                    God Bless,  Mark
Oscar

Email
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2003, 10:27:18 am »

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, any frame of reference can be used, and the laws of physics will still hold.  If you choose to consider the earth to be stationary, then the rotation of all the stars of the universe around the earth will produce a kind of gravitational field which reproduces the coriolis force which drives the ocean currents and winds.

Steve,

Good to hear from you after all these years.  

Your post is interesting, and no doubt true.  However, I don't understand what it is in response to.  What  is the context of your post?

For those of you who don't know Steve, he has quite a bit of background in science and computer technology.  

God bless,
Thomas Maddux
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: