AssemblyBoard
May 06, 2024, 08:44:41 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Neglected Fact about the Civil War  (Read 3563 times)
David Mauldin
« on: February 05, 2003, 07:40:25 pm »

Throughout my generation much has been written about the tenacious spirit of  Frederick Douglas, Sara J. Pitman and  Rosa Parks. These individuals boldly stood against the injustices of slavery and segreration in the south. Yet little is written about the many individuals who did not stand against it. Little is written about slaves themselves who fought and even laid down their own lives in order to maintain their slavery. (Look it up it is true, It is even noted in the movie "Gone with the Wind.")  Why has this fact been neglected by conservatives and liberals alike?  Why havn't books been written about such noble endevors as to lay down ones own freedom for their own good? Is it because the very  thought of it is repugnant! Ludacris? Insane? So unAmerican?  How could individuals choose slavery over freedom?  Yet it is true! Did the securities given by "Massa" outweigh the anxieties of freedom?  Did the security of living as I always have lived out-weigh the insecurities of the unknown?of change?  Today let us look backand upon these individuals with compassion knowing we ourselves at one time embraced such a lifestyle. Let us realize the pain these people will suffer at having to leave all that is familiar to them behind. Cry
wmathews

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 08:07:19 pm »

Although it is natural to compare and infer by analogy, matter of degree and extenuating circumstance must be considered when jumping to conclusion by historical comparison. With all due respect, David, I think you have made a wild jump by comparing what middle class saints with full citizen's rights, comfortable accomodations, etc., have experienced in the assembly with the brutal sometimes terrifying experience of black slaves. This is another 'pop culture' speculation of two radically differrent peoples and experiences, in my opinion.
David Mauldin
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 08:24:02 pm »

Yes I would agree it isn't the same "Matter of degree"  But I do think that the psychological implications are the same.  To look at a group of people who have been ripped off so blatently by George, I'm reffering to the finances. (when relating to others outside the assembly that "oh we never asked for an accounting of the funds...it all just goes to Brother Geoge and he does what God wants with it, people laugh in histerical disbelief!) and yet these same people who know full well of his sins and excommunication are now welcoming him back!!!?? Why? Is reality to hard to accept? (maby my comparison to slaves was unfair to the slaves?) Wayne you may not agree with me but thats O.K.  after I left the assembly I was asked by a councler  "Why do you think you stayed in that group so long?" It was a hard question.  Why?  I had to admit to myself I had some problems.  It is my opinion that many of those who remain have the same.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2003, 08:40:01 pm by David Mauldin » Logged
TGarisek

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 08:39:25 pm »

I see both sides. There's no way we can throw out the heinous treatment of slaves and turn the blame at this stage and so I agree with you Wayne but there's a nugget here. While social, economic conditions do not remotely correlate, the nugget is the same psychological phenomenon I tried to illustrate with the allegory about the crabs in the basket. Why do they stay in the open basket and why is one inquisitive crab dragged back in when attempting escape? There are many books written on the subject, many studies to proved group effects on the individual but as has been quoted so often by MLK and even GG, I have looked at the day I (we) left and can say, "Free at last, free at last, thank God I'm free at last."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: