AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 03:52:13 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CAN YOU TOP THIS?  (Read 3924 times)
faith

Email
« on: January 26, 2005, 03:12:42 am »

One man I know who is just recently able to laugh about anything "assembly" told me these stories of life at George's house.

1.  Betty verbally berated him for throwing away the toilet paper roll with two sheets remaining.  She said that George would have a fit over the waste.  

Really?  The guy with $100 shoes and shirts would mind?

2. Betty again shredded him for using his chin to hold a pillow while putting it into a new pillow case.  (you know how we all do it!)  It seems it's bad to get your facial oils all over someone else's pillow.  (What about the oils in your hands or the germs?)

This poor guy still doesn't use his chin without feeling great guilt!

3. Evidently Jim McAllister used to buy Betty $100 boxes of chocolate.  This guy didn't even know you could buy that expensive of chocolate.  But Betty did.  And she didn't refuse it.  So my friend wonders what kind of thing Betty and Jim had going? Lips sealed

That house was stranger than you or I ever knew.  Betty was (is?) one bizarre  lady.
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 07:48:05 am »

Faith, it may be just as well if no one tries to "top" your stories, although some surely could.  The ensuing contest would, in itself, serve no purpose, whereas your pointing out such weirdness can be instructive if we try to understand why such things happened and what they may mean.

One man I know who is just recently able to laugh about anything "assembly" told me these stories of life at George's house.

1.  Betty verbally berated him for throwing away the toilet paper roll with two sheets remaining.  She said that George would have a fit over the waste.  

Really?  The guy with $100 shoes and shirts would mind?

Yeah, he would, for at least two reasons:  

The shirts, shoes, and a lot more were purchased with the money saved by frugality at the expense of others.  But that was only because it was so important for "the Lord's servant" to make a good impression on behalf of the Lord, don'tcha know.  (And all the people said, "Yeah, right!")

He would "have a fit" because he could!  It was the nature of his personal "ministry" to "teach" by intimidation, belittling and humiliating his students for every perceived error, whether or not there was any reason for them to have known better.

2. Betty again shredded him for using his chin to hold a pillow while putting it into a new pillow case.  (you know how we all do it!)  It seems it's bad to get your facial oils all over someone else's pillow.  (What about the oils in your hands or the germs?)

This poor guy still doesn't use his chin without feeling great guilt!

Forgive the pun, but your friend was no doubt not the first nor the last to "take it on the chin" under that regime.  Betty was probably taking out on him her frustration with herself for having had the foresight to instruct everyone to wash their hands before performing such chores, but she had failed to anticipate the need to have them wash their chins! Embarrassed

Once again, Betty, like George, "trained" by bullying and browbeating those who looked to her.

3. Evidently Jim McAllister used to buy Betty $100 boxes of chocolate.  This guy didn't even know you could buy that expensive of chocolate.  But Betty did.  And she didn't refuse it.  So my friend wonders what kind of thing Betty and Jim had going? Lips sealed

What you describe may easily have been exactly what they "had going."  It was altogether common for wannabes to kiss up to Betty and to George by giving them extravagant gifts or services.  It was every bit as common for the great ones to accept those offerings as their due.  Kind of reminds you of the disobedient priests consuming the sacrifices meant for the Lord, doesn't it?

That house was stranger than you or I ever knew.  Betty was (is?) one bizarre  lady.

Oh, yeah.  And the half has never yet been told...

faith

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 08:55:31 am »

Hey Al - how about just serving the purpose of having a good laugh?  I think it is healthy that we can laugh at the past bizarrness (sp) of our assembly lives.  Plenty of people have fought depression because of it....so I was just offering an opportunity for a good laugh at G and B's expense.  They were the wacked ones, not us.  

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: