AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 10:15:41 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What the hymns do in George's Dynasty  (Read 8687 times)
delila

Email
« on: January 28, 2004, 08:22:43 am »

“Encamped along the hills of light ye Christian soldiers rise.  
And press the battle ere the night shall veil the glowing skies
Against the foe in  ? below let all our faith be hurled
(hurled.  I always liked that word)
...Faith is the victory (3x’s)... Oh, glorious victory that overcomes the world.”

Hi!  I was writing tonight and this hymn popped out of my head, or parts of it.
Anybody got a Hymns and Spiritual Songs?  I want to check for accuracy.  Email me
though b/c I can’t find my thread once I’ve posted something.  I never know if
anybody’s commented on much of what I write.  I just don’t have time to sift through
it all and stuff gets burried.
   Also, do you remeber singing this?  The message in my head now is much
clearer than it was for me then.  I can articulate it now.  Then, just singing when I was
so bloody tired I could hardly stand up was another part of the brain shut off, heart in
motion (and given away) machinery of the gg dynasty.  The message was: although
I’m nearly dead (physically) and absolutely wrecked emotionally and think nothing of
myself cognitively, I’m an overcomer right?  Because God can work wonders with
Garbage see?  Look around at all those other victorious saints.  God’s building
Himself a house, people!  
   Another one that used to really haunt me is:
   Lord Jesus I long to be perfectly whole
   I want Thee forever to live in my soul
   Break down every idol (Ouch, that was my neck)
   Cast out every foe (too bad, I really liked that sister.  I’ll miss her)
   Now wash me and I will be whiter than snow (Javex on an open wound is
really an experience!)
   Whiter than snow, Yes whiter than snow (In this photograph I’m the one
looking like a dead jelly fish)
   Now wash me and I will be whiter than snow.
   Right now the snow’s pretty white in Estevan, Saskatchewan.  Let me tell you.
And we’ve got LOTS OF IT but we still don’t eat it.  We advise strongly against
eating it.
Cheers!
Delila
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 09:07:48 am »

Here are links to the two songs that you quoted:

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/f/a/faithist.htm

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/w/h/i/whiterts.htm
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 08:59:54 pm »

Delila--

Your post brought back a very funny memory to me. My skin tone is a very light hue. A brother out in the Valley named Dan Ryan came walking through the living room one day and said "Wash me and I'll be whiter than Joe". I guess you had to be there--but it was so funny at the time that it stuck for years. Thanks for reminding me of it--he was a very funny and true-hearted brother in every way.

--Joe
mithrandir
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 12:46:37 am »

On the subject of hymns, I do believe that a lot of the hymns chosen for us emphasized the feelings and subjective experience of those whe were "true overcomers".  And there were some hymns written by people in the Assembly which contained the same emphasis on striving to be counted worthy as an overcomer.  I think you can find this emphasis also in Remedy's songs, especially "Fire Eyes", "Martyr Song", and "Sapphire."  This is one reason I stopped listening to them after the collapse of George's empire.

While the Bible does talk about overcoming, it also speaks much of the value of simple faith in Christ as the key to overcoming.  I am still sorting things out, figuring out how it all works...
delila

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 07:00:34 am »

Stephen M- thanks so much.  I downloaded those.  What about this one:
"At Thy feet I fall, Yeild Thee up my all, to suffer live or die for my Lord crucified" - got the rest on this one?
And did we ever suffer, live or die... you get what you wish for

Verne - that is funny: whiter than joe!

delila
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 08:16:06 am »

This was all I could find:

http://www.backtothebible.org/devotions/classics/streams/232

You can find a phrase with Google if you enclose it in quotes.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 06:19:51 am by Stephen M. Fortescue » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 04:52:10 pm »

Delila--

Your post brought back a very funny memory to me. My skin tone is a very light hue. A brother out in the Valley named Dan Ryan came walking through the living room one day and said "Wash me and I'll be whiter than Joe". I guess you had to be there--but it was so funny at the time that it stuck for years. Thanks for reminding me of it--he was a very funny and true-hearted brother in every way.

--Joe

So Joe, we could take some black and white pictures of you and Verne. Grin

Marcia

Only if I get to keep the negatives! Unless of course you want to go digital?!    Grin
Verne

But, Verne, you're white in the negatives! Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

SmileyWink:Dal

Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 09:05:07 pm »

Eb-o-ny and I-vo-ry, live together in perfect harmony, side by side on this BB, ooo-eee, ooo-eee, why can't we?

--Joe
delila

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 02:40:21 am »

The service I went to today employed this video hymn type device, very much a music video with words.  I could hymn the old hymns without choking, but found the visual/ musical video to be too much for me.  I got all emotional and fell apart.  The songs were really simple, the symbols on visual simple too, but I fought tears.  Anybody else experience this?
drj
Margaret

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 03:42:30 am »

Yes, frequently and for several years after we left.  I think maybe it is related to what is reported on this link, http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3158757/.  The study indicates that loss of the group hurts as much as physical pain.  Singing together was one of the main elements in our group life.
delila

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2004, 05:25:34 am »

it wasn't the hymns so much
it was the contemporary music that I found difficult
I don't miss the assembly.  I miss the belief that God is the cinderella dream. that god has a happy ever after.  it's seductive, I fight it
delila
lenore
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 12:30:30 pm »

“Encamped along the hills of light ye Christian soldiers rise.  
And press the battle ere the night shall veil the glowing skies
Against the foe in  ? below let all our faith be hurled
(hurled.  I always liked that word)
...Faith is the victory (3x’s)... Oh, glorious victory that overcomes the world.”

Hi!  I was writing tonight and this hymn popped out of my head, or parts of it.
Anybody got a Hymns and Spiritual Songs?  I want to check for accuracy.  Email me
though b/c I can’t find my thread once I’ve posted something.  I never know if
anybody’s commented on much of what I write.  I just don’t have time to sift through
it all and stuff gets burried.
   Also, do you remeber singing this?  The message in my head now is much
clearer than it was for me then.  I can articulate it now.  Then, just singing when I was
so bloody tired I could hardly stand up was another part of the brain shut off, heart in
motion (and given away) machinery of the gg dynasty.  The message was: although
I’m nearly dead (physically) and absolutely wrecked emotionally and think nothing of
myself cognitively, I’m an overcomer right?  Because God can work wonders with
Garbage see?  Look around at all those other victorious saints.  God’s building
Himself a house, people!  
   Another one that used to really haunt me is:
   Lord Jesus I long to be perfectly whole
   I want Thee forever to live in my soul
   Break down every idol (Ouch, that was my neck)
   Cast out every foe (too bad, I really liked that sister.  I’ll miss her)
   Now wash me and I will be whiter than snow (Javex on an open wound is
really an experience!)
   Whiter than snow, Yes whiter than snow (In this photograph I’m the one
looking like a dead jelly fish)
   Now wash me and I will be whiter than snow.
   Right now the snow’s pretty white in Estevan, Saskatchewan.  Let me tell you.
And we’ve got LOTS OF IT but we still don’t eat it.  We advise strongly against
eating it.
Cheers!
Delila

MAY 24: 3:32 AM EST:

FAITH IS THE VICTORY BY JOHN H. YATES/IRA D. SANKEY

This hymn is in my churchs HYMNS OF FAITH

chorus: FAITH IS THE VICTORY, FAITH IS THE VICTORY, O GLORIOUS VICTORY, THAT OVERCOMES THE WORLD.

vs1. Encamped along the hills of light, Ye Christian soldiers, rise, And press the battle ere the night. Shall veil the glowing skies. Against the foe in vales below. Let all our strength be hurled; Faith is the victory we know , That overcomes the world.
vs2: His banner over on us is love. OUr sword the Word of God. We tread the road the saints above. With shouts of triumph trod; By faith they, like a whirlwinds's breath, Swept on o'er every field, The faith by which they conquered death Is still our shining shield.
vs3: On evry hand and foe we find. Draws up in dread array; Let tents of ease be left behind And onward to the fray; Salvation's helmet on each head, With truth all girt about, The earth shall tremble 'neath our tread, And echo with our shout.
vs4: To him that overcomes the foe, White raiment shall be giv'n; Before the angels he shall know His name confessed in heav'n. Then onward from the hills of light. Our hearts with love aflame, We'll vanquish all the hosts of night. In Jesus' conquering name.

Is this what you were looking for.??
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: