AssemblyBoard
May 07, 2024, 03:06:54 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: We are all Doomed to Get Old (Matt This is meant to be Humorous)  (Read 9350 times)
David Mauldin
« on: April 10, 2005, 03:09:48 am »

Getting old really sucks and we really can't do anything about it.  We are all doomed to go the way of Adam. At twenty-five our bodies start moving in the other direction.  Around about thirty we notice our receding hairline is accentuated by an ever-increasing paunchy stomach. About thirty-five we notice that where once dwelt firm supple vertically lined muscle tissue has been now replaced by horizontally curved appendages. At forty we begin to realize that the pimple faced body we loathed in high school is one that we would now gladly trade 1/2 our life savings for! At forty-five we realize that we don't have the energy to find the remote so we say "Oh well" "might as well watch this infomercial anyway" it's just about over. Just get a load of this 70 year old geezer!

http://davedraper.com/photo-archive-intro.html
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 06:11:12 am by David Mauldin » Logged
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 03:56:39 am »

Dave:

Thank you for this heart-warming thread that you have started......more and more you bring joy and cheer to the forum.  The best part is the picture of the 70 year old "geezer".......

What was the point of this, if you don't mind my asking?

At least I can say this much.....there are far fewer spelling errors than usual.

Apparently this "getting old" business is something you are learning to accept....the shrill tone is gone.  Wink

Matt Sciaini

David Mauldin
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 04:39:21 am »

Matt,  the meaning is excruciatingly obvious. Perhaps if you waited and thought it out it would have come to you. But because you are such a nice guy I will try and explain.  The fact that the 7o year old geezer is a buff stud we are NOT doomed!!???!!  GET IT
NOW???   Matt I have a suspicion that you don't like Woody Allen films?  Am I right??
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 04:51:30 am by David Mauldin » Logged
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 08:43:34 am »

I like hearing about the "older" generation accomplishing things. Although I wouldn't mind looking like I did when I was younger, I wouldn't want to be a younger age again, because of what I've learned along the way - not as much as I wish I had - but more than I knew when I was younger.

Along with more wisdom, comes an aging body, but then I'm not from CA where you need to nip, snip, tuck, suck, pad, cut, transplant, etc, in order to accept yourself.  Wink

I like the last fortune cookie that I got. It said:  "When you think you are too old to do a thing, do it."  Grin
David Mauldin
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 09:58:52 am »

Moon, There is a prof at Cal State Fullerton, a Dr. Mcfarland, who is 80 years young! He is in great shape, very active (swims every day) clear thinking, (flirts with the pretty girls) old  geezer.  He really demonstrates that a person doesn't have to get "old" in the standard out-of-shape U.S. statistic fashion.  Over half of the U.S. population is overwieght. 1 out of 10 is seriously obese! (anyone seen "Supersize me!" I admit it is my nature to be a statistic! Maybe that's why I am being so religious about exercise and diet. Anyway I am finding a lot of inspiration by seeing people who contradict the statistics!  Recently we had our L.A. Marathon. The news programs had a great time focusing on some old guy 80 years young who hobbled accross the finish line about 12 hours after everyone else had gone home!  Hey that guy has spunk!!!   He really inspires me. The last place  I want to end up is some convalescent home worrying about my next bm. Dr. Mcfarland points out that being in good shape doesn't necessarily guaruntee (yes Matt some people spell it with a y) a longer life but it can be one that avoids diabetes, dialysis etc...I use to think, "People who stay in shape have to devote their whole life to doing just that!"  But the truth is I have never had more energy to get more done with my life. What do you do to stay fit?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 10:01:39 am by David Mauldin » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 03:44:21 pm »

Moon, There is a prof at Cal State Fullerton, a Dr. Mcfarland, who is 80 years young! He is in great shape, very active (swims every day) clear thinking, (flirts with the pretty girls) old  geezer.  He really demonstrates that a person doesn't have to get "old" in the standard out-of-shape U.S. statistic fashion.  Over half of the U.S. population is overwieght.

This is an interesting subject,
I have become absolutely convinced that the reason for the glaring lack of spiritual power in so many involved in ministry is an unwillingness to discipline their physical appetites, and particularly their bodies.
Have you noticed how chubby so many pastors and elders are?
I have certainly found a strong correlation between my own weight and spiritual acuity.
I think this is the reason Paul mentions the discipline of his body.
No wonder so many of us are unfit for battle!
I was recently thinking about taking a trip to Israel and then I went to the presentation where the men leading the tour gave a short talk. They were obviously knowledgeable men and believers.
One of the guys sported quite a pot.
As I sat there, I found myself thinking: This is a trip on which I am supposedly going to experince spiritual growth and inspiration. How is that going to be mediated by a guy who can't even control what he puts in his face?
I lost my enthusiasm for the trip and decided not to go...at least not this year...
Verne
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 10:55:22 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
Mark Kisla
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 05:56:18 pm »

It is amazing to me how many of my peers have thrown in the towel in regards to keeping in shape....it's almost like they embraced the idea that when you hit 40 you're supposed to be fat and out of shape.
I highly recommend the movie, Supersize Me . Have any of you seen it ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 05:58:45 pm by Mark Kisla » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 10:57:05 pm »

It is amazing to me how many of my peers have thrown in the towel in regards to keeping in shape....it's almost like they embraced the idea that when you hit 40 you're supposed to be fat and out of shape.

These are the same guys who wonder why their wives no longer look at them the way they used to... Smiley
Verne
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 12:00:24 am »

Moon, There is a prof at Cal State Fullerton, a Dr. Mcfarland, who is 80 years young! He is in great shape, very active (swims every day) clear thinking, (flirts with the pretty girls) old  geezer. 

What do you do to stay fit?

I don't know if that question was aimed at me, but I'll answer it.

I try to walk to my kitchen in the morning to get my coffee Wink, walk down the basement stairs to get my laundry out of the dryer, and walk to the cafeteria in the afternoon at work to torture myself looking at the food there.   Grin

But really, I love to swim and have a membership at the Y. They've got a whirlpool and a steam and a sauna, too, so it's relaxing. The treadmill exhausts me so I usually avoid it.

When the weather is warm, I walk and/or bicycle.

I don't know that I'm "fit", but I'm considered to be healthy, in an aging body. I find it very hard to keep my weight down as I get older, but as Verne mentioned in his post, obesity turns me off, too, in regards to listening to someone who claims to be a preacher or someone standing for a truth. 

Memories of my obese grandmother, who I adored and who lived to be 88  Shocked, reminds me of how easy it would be to put on that amount of weight.
David Mauldin
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 02:22:21 am »

D.L. Moody to C.H. Spurgeon:  "Sir" "That cigar offends me!"

C.H.'s reply "Sir" "That pot-belly offends me!" Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 05:55:24 am by David Mauldin » Logged
summer007

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 02:40:58 am »

Verne, I have to agree with you. It is a real turn-off to see preachers or other ministers of the Gospel who are over-weight. Unless they are sick with a thyroid or diabetes problem I can't see what the problem is, other then plain and simple Gluttany which is one of the seven deadly sins, manifesting itself. Other causes can be injurys where the person cannot work-out. I try not to judge, not knowing their health historys, yet to me theirs no reason to let oneself GO. Because I'm slender and staying in shape is not a problem for me, I still hate it when I see people who give-up who are around my age, its ridiculous.  Summer.
David Mauldin
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 06:03:24 am »

While "in fellowship" we could all make excuses as to why we didn't have enough time, yet I can think of three brothers who were in good shape despite having "a lot on their plate".  Mike Almonzor, Steve Irons and Randy? (From H.B.)  I use to live with Mike so I know first hand (He had Selvin and I running miles- doing push-ups, sit-ups, leg lifts etc...  I was in good shape for a while.)  Rene Loof has a picture on his dresser of his baptism.  Although Rene' was working as a lifegard at the time Steve has a much better six-pack. Randy? I met at camp one year. We did a "Rocky" skit.  Randy had to do one-handed push-ups! Skip rope etc... The dude was smoking!!! I am sure their were a lot of sisters out there who were in good shape but dress standards as they were left a lot to the imagination.  Cool
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 06:08:44 am by David Mauldin » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 07:24:11 am »

Verne, I have to agree with you. It is a real turn-off to see preachers or other ministers of the Gospel who are over-weight. Unless they are sick with a thyroid or diabetes problem I can't see what the problem is, other then plain and simple Gluttany which is one of the seven deadly sins, manifesting itself. Other causes can be injurys where the person cannot work-out. I try not to judge, not knowing their health historys, yet to me theirs no reason to let oneself GO. Because I'm slender and staying in shape is not a problem for me, I still hate it when I see people who give-up who are around my age, its ridiculous.  Summer.

I know some folk have medical reasons for being hefty, although I think that is the exception.
Fat preachers have always puzzled me. I wonder whether they consider how their evident lack of personal discipline affects the power of the message they are trying to communicate. Their knowledge has apparently, so far as others can see, obviously failed to benefit them in a practical way. More importantly is the fact that they keep right on  preaching to others suggest they could care less.
There are lots of ways you can attempt to fake holiness,  but corpulence (when not due to medical reasons) puts the lie to any one trying to teach others about Godly living - one of the undeniable evidences of the Spirit's presence in the life is of course self-control.
 In the case of rotund rhetoreticians, I am afraid I have trouble separating the blather from the blubber...
Verne
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 08:00:51 am by VerneCarty » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 07:57:58 am »

D.L. Moody to C.H. Spurgeon:  "Sir" "That cigar offends me!"

C.H.'s reply "Sir" "That pot-belly offends me!" Grin Grin Grin

I think what actually happened was that Moody pointed to Spurgeons's pipe and remarked:

"That,  offends me!"

Spurgeon then pointed to Moody's ample and protuberant middle and retorted:

" And that, offends me!"

Verne
David Mauldin
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 09:00:00 am »

Hope this doesn't offend you!!!

http://www.spurgeon.org/misc/cigars.htm
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: