AssemblyBoard
May 06, 2024, 02:00:06 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oral History Project on the Assembly  (Read 7274 times)
DavidM
« on: May 21, 2007, 07:43:32 pm »

Hello friends, while working on my Master's degree in History, I have become familiar with The Oral History Dept. at Cal State Fullerton. This last semester I completed a project that involved the Quaker Church in Garden Grove. (This was a lot of fun! This church began as a series of "Tent Meetings" in 1890. The first pastor was Ella C. Veeder!(a woman)) While doing my research and listening to lectures on the significance of religious institutions in Orange County History, I was/am greatly motivated to do a project on The Assembly. Dr. Hansen, head of the department, is familiar with the Assembly and has encouraged me to follow up on my desire. As a result of posting on the "Assembly Reflections" website I have acquired almost all of the literature printed by the group. However, I do not have any photographs. I am particularly interested in "Seminar Pictures". But I am not limited to these. If anyone is willing I can make copies and return your originals. If you would like to mail them anonymously please do! 

David Mauldin
9 Boise
Irvine, CA 92604
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 07:45:08 pm by DavidM » Logged
DavidM
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 05:23:17 am »

Thank you anon!
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 08:04:18 pm »

David---

Someone may have already let you know---but on the "Assembly Reflections" website, under "new", June 17th, are (3) photos of the Assembly during Seminars in 1977, 1978 and 1984.

--Joe
DavidM
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 04:12:56 am »

Thanks, I didn't know!
Oscar

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 05:34:40 am »

David,

How is your oral history project on the assembly going?

Tom Maddux
DavidM
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 07:57:38 pm »

I'd like to get to work on it, but there is a guy standing over me with a gun to my head! "Get blogging or I fill youz with lead!" So here I am! Tongue
Oscar

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 08:27:15 pm »

Dave,

Actually, my question was meant seriously.  I am interested to know what you are doing and how it is going.  Are you getting the information you need?  Do you have enough contacts?  Are you interviewing people?

Tom Maddux
DavidM
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 07:08:09 am »

My recent class (On the Quakers in Garden Grove) required that I work in a group and that we share the work. My instructor, Dr. Hansen told me that because I am a grad student that I was in charge of the group. My "group" consisted of one other person. (most groups had 3 or 4) We both were expected to complete a number of research projects along with interviewing a member of G.G. Friends Church. My "partner" just happened to be working 40 hrs per week as a music director at a mega church in Murietta. He also was carrying a full load at CSUF! To make this short he didn't do any of the work. His excuses were, "I didn't get a return call from....." in truth a very nice guy (a Born Again Christian) over booked himself and then used this off campus project as an excuse to get an extension. So in view of all of this I took on the majority of the project!  I wrote the church history and developed a timeline. I also completed 5 interviews along with 52 pages of transcription. Much of this work was suppose to be done by a group! Despite this Dr. Hansen wanted to hold me accountable for my partner's work! I pleaded with him! I tried to explain I did all I could to get my partner on the ball. (As of this date my "partner" has done nothing!) After a long talk with Dr. Hansen I finally  received my grade for the quaker project, A-. All of this has caused a lot of tension between myself and Dr. Hansen. I have made a few attempts to contact him about doing the Assembly Project this summer (earlier he suggested I do it this summer) but he has been out of his office. So my plan is to see him in the fall. I suspect that my "partner" (who heard what happened to me) is ashamed of himself and has decided to take an incomplete. I really haven't tried to bother Dr. H as I am off to Yosemite this week and I am hiking the San Jacinto's with another teacher in August. So maybe it can wait.

So far I have amassed all of the Assembly Literature. Did you know G.G. published a book of poetry?  I have a "signed copy"  I have very few pictures. When the time comes I will be looking for one Assembly clergy and one laymen to interview.  I know we are "all brothers" but Dr. H doesn't understand.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 07:33:03 am by DavidM » Logged
DavidM
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 09:50:04 pm »

I met with Dr. Hansen yesterday and he was very happy to see me. As I suspected my "partner" did not attempt to finish his share of the Quaker project. I might have to do it? Dr. Hansen and I will be discussing the Assembly project this afternoon. I realy liked the Tent meeting pictures on the Reflection Page. Does anyone have "Tent Meeting" pics I can copy and use for the project?
Margaret

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 03:52:08 am »

I don't know if Dave needs them, but it would be nice to have pix of other kinds of outreaches, puppets, beach baptisms, etc. for the ga.com website.

Margaret
Margaret

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 11:41:32 am »

From Dave Mauldin: "I have completed my interviews with a current leader of the Assembly, we had a great time and it was a really positive experience. Yet I still need a "lay" member!  If you are a current member and would like to participate in an "Oral History Project on the Assembly" through Cal State University Fullerton, please contact me at dkmpsr@earthlink.net."
Vandyyke
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 05:14:16 am »

I need pics!  I know there has to be people out there with lots of pics!
Margaret

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 06:35:55 am »

Bob Ford has the most pictures I know of.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: