AssemblyBoard
May 25, 2024, 11:25:29 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seven Pillars...  (Read 4248 times)
BenJapheth
« on: November 21, 2005, 04:09:40 am »

Greetings Everyone...

I have a question.  It's one of those questions that I've been thinking about for many years as a believer - since I was a new believer 30 years ago.  It puzzles me and I'm not sure if the conclusions I've come to are correct.  Therefore, it would be fair to say they're not really conclusions, but more "ideas"...I'd be open to as many folks as would feel free to share to give me their thoughts and ideas on this particiular scripture.  I had coffee with my Father-in-law, Chuck Miller today and he too said that the scripture puzzled him...I'd like to hear some ideas, thoughts and interpretations from some of you and then I'd like to run some ideas by the group to get some feedback. 

Here it is:

Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to the Father...

John 14:12

Chuck Vanasse

::c:v::

BenJapheth
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 04:08:23 am »

Second question...

25  On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
26 "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"
27 He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and,    'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"
28."You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."
29. But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"
30. In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead.
31. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.
32. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.
33. But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him.
34. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him.
35. The next day he took out two silver coins[e] and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'
36. "Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?"
37. The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."
Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second Question – If my neighbor is the half-dead man along side the road, then who is the half-dead man along side the road?

BenJapheth
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 04:35:25 am »

Third Question…

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
26 "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"
27 He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and,    'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"
28."You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."
29. But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"
30. In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead.
31. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.
32. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.
33. But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him.
34. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him.
35. The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'
36. "Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?"
37. The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."
Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."

1.   He “went to him” – He was available and took action to help and rescue - Availability
2.   He tended “his wounds” – He himself provided physical healing to the man - Healing
3.   With “his own donkey” – He used his own resources – Commitment of Possessions
4.   Taking him to an Inn – Provided him a place and took care of him. –  A Place
5.   With monetary expense – He paid for him – Commitment of Money
6.   He compensated others who were helping him –  Recruited Others
7.   How did this come about?  He took pity on him – It started with empathy – Compassion

Question – Where does compassion come from?

BenJapheth
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 05:04:30 am »

Exponential functions of goodness

I have always been fascinated by exponential functions about how something could go from 2-4-16-32-64…512…4096, etc.  It’s wonderous in my eyes!  About how a few animals on a boat could re-populate the entire globe with such diversity in a couple thousand years; about Abraham and Sarah, two people: becoming 14 million people; the extraordinary compounding of value - how $10,000 invested with Warren Buffet in 1956 would have grown to $80 million by 1996; about how a few hundred Christians before Pentecost in 35 C.E. becomes 20,000 by 62 C.E. and five million by the mid-4th century and 2 billion who name themselves Christians today. Did Paul know what he and the Spirit were setting in motion between 38 and 65 C.E.?  I believe he did…He knew staying here would mean profitable labor. 

Could a stroke of goodness strike a dramatic blow against evil in the same way that 19 Moslem men did for evil with $200,000?  How darkly incredible that these few men use so little money and time - spent over three years and several thousand man-hours of training - to kill themselves and 3,000 others to alter the very foundations of civilization and the global economy at a cost of $7 trillion dollars. How could they have accomplished so much evil against the planet with so little? 

Does goodness possess such dramatic exponential functions for doing good? 

Can poignant acts of goodness from the hands of a few men create a miraculous windfall of good to all creatures under the sun?  I think so. Remember Jesus.  Remember Paul. The ripples of the Cross go on and on.  He saved us that as He be lifted up He would draw all men unto Him.

Is it possible to create an exponential function for goodness?  It is possible to unfurl an exponential function for healing, for feeding, for teaching, for protecting?  I think it is.  It is possible.  All the world’s problems are our opportunities. 

The darkness exists to have a light shined in it.

Chuck Vanasse
BenJapheth
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 03:24:58 am »

Where’s the hope? 

I had always wanted a world of peace – dreamt about it, yearned for it, wondered about it – I dreamt about a world where our hopes were realized. Could we ever have a safe world?  A planet without fear?  A world where nuclear weapons abound - yet, where the innocent were safe?  All this in a world where evil was so prevalent? Could mankind survive?  How could we?  How could we reasonably hope that people wouldn’t use these world ending weapons to devastate everything? …And, for how long could evil be restrained?  I so hoped for a better world, but human nature was so squarely in the way.  My gut told me it wasn’t possible. Hope said “Oh, please God – Yes, a bright hope for tomorrow is well founded with You - ‘Thy kingdom come!’ and it will come, but when?!”…Reason said “No way! – So much hopelessness.” 

As a 14-year-old, I remember watching the urgent news bulletins during the Six Day War between the Israelis and the Arab nations in October of 1973.  I was a nervous wreck – Walter Cronkite’s tone was ominous – The Soviet Union and the United States were on high alert and poised for a civilization ending nuclear exchange.  I said to myself – “Is this how it is going to end?  If not now, next year - Or the year after that, or in my lifetime?”

My childhood cry, as I anxiously watched our violent world was– “God save us!” 

At 17 years-old, after an emotional collapse my cry became – “God save me!”  He did.  I was redeemed - plucked from the writhing torments of hopelessness.

I was saved.  Something was different – What was different?  I didn't care about my welfare - my anxiety was gone.  A new burden and suffering replaced my previous preoccupation with self.  I now saw the suffering of others and I suffered.  I not only wanted to do something to see my neighbor redeemed, but I couldn’t help myself.  My neighbor's suffering became my own. 

We believers in Jesus Christ are saved for a purpose – We are saved to save…Through Jesus, to continue His work - To seek and to save that which was lost – Having been lost and now found we now have compassion for our neighbor – In our neighbor, we see ourselves needing redemption. The world is an unfolding drama of redemption. All believers have a tremendous part to play in this drama.  We are to enter His harvest and do His deeds.  We are called to His harvest.

“Your kingdom, come!”   The key – “Your will BE DONE on earth as it is in heaven.”   The world is waiting for his will. 

What is the purpose of our lives?  Why when He saved us does the story not end?  Why are we left here on this violent, lost planet?  The Lord says - “As the Father has sent me so I send you…Go, therefore, and make disciples.” 

Our great enterprise is still before us.  His promise - If He is lifted up He will draw all men unto Himself.  The great quest is to lift the Lord up in a compellingly attractive way. We are new men in Christ - Our minds and hearts are inclined to lift Him up. Will we relent?  We need to listen to the impulses of Christ’s heart inside of us.  If any man is in Christ, he is a new creature - old things have passed away, new things have come – The new voice says “Go!”  The new man has a latent, yet driving, desire to save the world - to love his neighbor.  How do we start?  Save souls by saving bodies - Feed them, cloth them, heal them, teach them, protect them…Our Captain says - “Go to the nations!”  Do what?  “Feed the nations; heal the nations; teach the nations; and protect the nations.” 

We earn the “right to proceed” by winning men into the Kingdom through following Christ’s example of doing good to the world – healing mankind and the nations’ communities. If the nations see Christ in us, in our actions, in our demonstrated love for each other, and in our love for them via His deeds of righteousness they will be drawn and won.  When we obey Christ, the Kingdom manifests itself as Christ in us to the world – redemption.

As The Way The Truth and The Life, Jesus saved us with His Word and He saved us with His Work. He gave us good news, but more  -He was the Good News – He taught the ignorant; healed the sick; fed the hungry, satisfied the thirsty; relieved the oppressed; exposed the unrighteous; He led justice to victory.

Nuclear war may happen, it probably will, and it will be worse than we can imagine. The world is broken. That’s a fact.  But, we can “fix it” by making it abound with grace even as sinners wreak havoc on themselves. We’ve been commanded to “Go!”  That’s what “the race” is all about – the race that Paul talks about - “To run in such a way that we may win.”  We win by winning others…The Titanic is sinking down, but we have been called to pull the multitudes from the water.  We can’t help the ship, but we can wade into the waters to save her victims.

The terrible events that are transpiring on our planet have become God’s redeeming means.  The world’s misery is our opportunity to enter God’s harvest. 

BenJapheth
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 08:07:48 am »

The end of days – God’s counterstrike of Hope.  The time is coming.
[/b][/size][/color]

$20,000  =  20,000 years …  $1.00  =  One human year  [/b]
[/color][/size] 

“How did you learn your Spanish?”  My friends would ask. Through the streets“Por medio de los calles,”  I’d say.  It was in the streets of Santo Domingo, Costa Rica in the 80s that I learned my Spanish – It was also where I realized that one of the best ways to love my neighbor was to give him an opportunity to help himself.  You can give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day and probably build a dependency - as Jesus himself noted – However, if you teach a man to fish you can feed him for a lifetime.

We can teach the world to fish…

In Costa Rica, I became friends with a future missionary to Guatemala – Paul Ernest.  Paul was a big guy with an even bigger heart.  He loved everyone and especially the children.  He wanted to help the young to find Christ and to help them gain a hopeful future via – getting an education, having basic medicines, safe housing as well as having enough food and clean water.  Paul loved people and he was not a stand-around and watch other people suffer kind of guy.  He saw something that needed doing and he did it.  In Costa Rica, it came to Paul’s attention that Guatemala was suffering the effects of several devastating earthquakes and a long civil war – He went, he saw, he moved.  The most prominent victims were the children.  He was off to do battle – Paul moved himself and his wife and two kids to Guatemala City in the late 80s.

Fast forward - early 90s.  I kept in touch with Paul and his work with the mission he founded in Guatemala – Christian Challenge Missions.  I kept up on how his work was going.  One day I hear from Paul and he tells me the mission was endeavoring to help a very desperate population in a remote village deep in the mountains and hills about 100 miles from the capital – El Triumfo.  He asked if I would want to see what they were doing.  I did.

In visiting El Triumfo, my world got a little bigger - I discovered some very desperate folks  – my new neighbors.

El Triumfo was a gathering of homes and one acre plots of about 2,000 people.  The area had no power, no running water, no buildings or roads except for the dusty rock strewn path that brought us into the area – We weren’t quite sure how our four wheel truck got us into the place.  The area was more impoverished than any place I had ever seen.  The average life expectancy was 35 years.  People died of maladies such as dysentery, infections, malaria and influenza.  Child bearing was often followed by funerals.  The area was too remote for doctors, teachers, midwives, engineers, and other "helping" professionals to reach.  As we toured the area and met the families it became clear something had to be done – But what?  The mission had a very talented Canadian Engineer who worked in Guatemala City – Chuck St. Louis.  Chuck and the mission’s local leader, Hugo Gomez, had an idea – La Casa Grande…The Big House.

Chuck said for $15,000 we could build a large building that could be a place for a school, for worship, a medical clinic and a place to store food and pharmaceuticals.  He said it could be built so that doctors or midwives could stay on a temporary or semi-permanent basis.  The place could also be a center for adult vocational and agricultural training.  The vision was also to sink a well so there would be a central location for clean water for the village.  The building was to serve as a versatile community center – A place of hope.  Chuck said he and his staff would provide the labor if someone could find the cash for the materials.  I told Chuck if some of the local Guatemalan churches could come up with 10% of the monies I could come up with the balance in the United States.

I got my good-willed friends together in Overland Park, Kansas and told them what was going on in El Triumfo, Guatemala and about the opportunity to do something for our Central American neighbors.  I told these friends that I was in for $5,000 and that I’d like each one to seriously consider a $1,000 commitment.  We raised the money and The Big House was built and the well was sunk over two years at a price of $20,000. 

Five years after the building had been built the community changed dramatically – The people’s medical care and education went from almost nothing to something approaching adequate.  La Casa Grande became a center of spiritual and physical revival.  The average life expectancy shot from 35 years to 45 years in five short years. 

$20,000 dollars gave 2,000 people ten more years of life…$20,000 = 20,000 years…A dollar per human life year.  Another way of looking at it my $5,000 contribution or one month’s salary bought 5000 years or  5000 years/70 year life = more than 70 lives. 

The best news of all - We’ve earned the right to proceed with the gospel message in El Triumfo.  Aside from 20,000 years of hope on this planet - we’re seeing hundreds of eternities gained for His kingdom.  Leverage for life…

A great work of God – A miracle.

The church and people of goodwill have the capacity to extrapolate this model a thousand times a thousand.  That time has come. The church has the ability to make a counter-strike against the world’s evil, the scourge of poverty and the tsunami of hopelessness that has enveloped the planet.

The end of days – God’s counterstrike.  The time is coming.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 08:13:25 am by :: Chuck Vanasse :: » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: