AssemblyBoard
May 17, 2024, 12:51:48 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaking of Bob Dylan  (Read 35018 times)
David Mauldin
« on: April 26, 2005, 08:33:56 am »

During the Christmas break I was working at a hospital in Orange.  I walk into a room to get a patient but he is not there, but this big guy in the next bed starts talking.  After awhile I get an earload.  He is a older buisnessman, Raymon Zimmerman.  (Look him up he is the former CEO of Service Merchandise)  So as I'm walking out the door I had to ask, "Are you related to Dylan?"  Wrong question!, we spent the next 45 minutes talking about his cousin from Minnesota. Anyway the guy pops off, "He was never a really big star, just an almost star!"  WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Dude!  How can you say that!!!!!?HuhHuh  We had quite a chat. Since then I picked up a copy of Dylan's new bio, "Chronicles"   It is a great book!  Up for an award.  It is little vinettes of Dylan's life.  One moment it is 1963 and he is toolin around Greenwich Village.  Next its 1992 and he is raising his son. The guy has a photographic memory for names and events.  Reading it you get the sence of what it really means to be an artist. (He is just living to find and perfect his craft!)  Oh btw I just gave my wife a signed photo of Paul Mc Cartney.  Cool
night owl

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 10:29:28 am »

OH BTW?? Ho Hum! How cool is that? (Hopefully she's a fan?)

Don't you just love those little Divine Appointments? Times when God brings us together with the most interesting people.

I may not have an autographed photo of Sir Paulie, but I do have a ticket to see him in concert in November. Woo Hoo! The Beatles were HUGE Dylan fans, y'know. In fact, I sort of thought that George's later solo stuff kind of sounded like Dylan vocally. And they were in the Traveling Wilbury's together too.
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 03:12:42 pm »

I just found out that Keith Green and Bob Dylan went to the same Church at one time. and that Dylan appeared on at least one or more of Keith Green's albums. Neat eh.

The link below has a whole bunch of Bob Dylan and other artists with Bob Dylan.

http://www.searchingforagem.com/1983.htm

Keith Green - "I Only Want To See You There" - vinyl LP, Sparrow Records SPR 1066 (USA), 1983:
Keith Green was killed in an air crash on 28 Jul 1982 and this album was released posthumously.

Sparrow Records SPR 1066 (USA) - picture from eBay, thanks to Dag Braathen
 R-0160 Pledge My Head To Heaven (Keith Green) - Bob plays harmonica on this remixed version of R-0153, the track from Keith's 1980 album So You Wanna Go Back To Egypt... (see 1980)
Thanks to Peter Gilmer for the information that Bob's harmonica is "all but drowned by an electric guitar" in this version, whereas in the original version it is very prominent. The version that later appeared in 1987 on the  Sparrow Records Keith Green compilation The Ministry Years Vol. 1: 1977-79 (see 1987) is the original mix (R-0153). This album is therefore only for completists.

Hugh  Grin
David Mauldin
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 09:10:11 pm »

Hugh, I got the photo at a place in Orange. There is an independent  music store there and it is run by a  serious Beatles fan. He has everything, books, posters, rare recordings, photographs, buttons, figurines, bouncy head statues, he has mags that are in current publication on the Beatles!  He use to have a lot of signed stuff but it is gone.  Paul wont sign anything unless its for charity. (My photo was at some charity event he did in 2002 in L.A.) A few years ago I decided to really listen to the Beatles myself. I still am amazed at their diversity. They could play anything and everything. I think their willingness to experiment outside the box, give themselves the opportunity to consider different ways of thinking, different ways of playing music was obviously to their genius. A few years ago I found a signed album by George Harrison. It is "All Things Must Pass" in mint condition. I got it for nothing. I had it verified and so far it has passed every test!!!!   Has anyone ever watched the last documentary (9 vidoes?) ?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 09:23:33 pm by David Mauldin » Logged
editor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 12:56:42 am »

Hugh, I got the photo at a place in Orange. There is an independent  music store there and it is run by a  serious Beatles fan. He has everything, books, posters, rare recordings, photographs, buttons, figurines, bouncy head statues, he has mags that are in current publication on the Beatles!  He use to have a lot of signed stuff but it is gone.  Paul wont sign anything unless its for charity. (My photo was at some charity event he did in 2002 in L.A.) A few years ago I decided to really listen to the Beatles myself. I still am amazed at their diversity. They could play anything and everything. I think their willingness to experiment outside the box, give themselves the opportunity to consider different ways of thinking, different ways of playing music was obviously to their genius. A few years ago I found a signed album by George Harrison. It is "All Things Must Pass" in mint condition. I got it for nothing. I had it verified and so far it has passed every test!!!!   Has anyone ever watched the last documentary (9 vidoes?) ?

Hi David.

Hang on to that record, and don't play it!  Keep it safe, and retire a wealthy man. 

Any rock, folk or pop musician, especially a teacher, will tell you that the Beatles are to modern music what calculus is to math.  You can't do anything important with math unless you have a clear undertanding of calculus, and likewise, if you don't know the Beatles, and the way they crafted songs, you will be stuck doing rap or hiphop, or some other disgusting thing.

The Beatles made huge leaps and changes from album to album, and it didn't take them 2 years between records!  Sometimes they would have 3 a year!  Amazing.  With the Beatles, you don't get one band and one sound...you get about 6 bands and perhaps 20 sounds.  Teeny bopper, soul, psychedelic, pop, rock, ballads, it's amazing.

Think of this:

I want to hold your hand........Michelle........A Day in the Life.....Something.....Let it Be......all by the same group, all within an eight year span.  And there was so much more!

The simplicity of many of the songs is stunning.  The genius and sweetness of the melodies are amazing, and the playful quirkiness shows that they didn't take themselves too seriously.  (Lennon did later, and his music suffered, IMO)

Now two of them are dead, and they'll never come back.  What a sad commentary on the human lot.

I'm going to see Sir Paul this year.  He's still at the top of his game.

Brent

night owl

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 02:01:17 am »

Has anyone ever watched the last documentary (9 vidoes?) ?

You mean the Anthology? Yes - when they released it on DVD a couple of years ago, Ringo promoted it by saying it had a "Fifth Disc". Meaning they made a disk of behind-the-scenes and edited footage. I love it. It's a must-rent for any Beatles fan. It was originally on TV in a much-edited version about 5 years ago.

Is the store in Orange you mentioned called "Penny Lane"?
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 04:33:56 am »

That's a good point about the Beatles. They made a huge transition when they put
out the "Revolver" album in 1966. To go from "I want to hold your hand" to the
eerie "Tomorrow Never Knows"(with the actual lead of the whole song being Ringo's
drums). This happened within a two year span. From "Meet the Beatles" in 1964
to Revolver in 1966 was a huge leap. Then they want on to "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely
Hearts Club Band" in 1967 with "A Day in the Life" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

They truly were an amazing band. When people call the Rolling Stones the greatest rock
and roll band ever, I always shake my head. The Stones were a great band, but the Beatles
in six years put out more hits, and more great music than anyone has ever done since. They
were and still are the greatest rock band that ever existed.

--Joe
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 04:48:08 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
editor
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 04:57:37 am »

That's a good point about the Beatles. They made a huge transition when they put
out the "Revolver" album in 1966. To go from "I want to hold your hand" to the
eerie "Tomorrow Never Knows"(with the actual lead of the whole song being Ringo's
drums). This happened within a two year span. From "Meet the Beatles" in 1964
to Revolver in 1966 was a huge leap. Then they want on to "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely
Hearts Club Band" in 1967 with "A Day in the Life" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

They truly were an amazing band. When people call the Rolling Stones the greatest rock
and roll band ever, I always shake my head. The Stones were a great band, but the Beatles
in six years put out more hits, and more great music than anyone has ever done since. They
were and still are the greatest rock band that ever existed.

--Joe
Yep, dittos to everything you say here Joe.

However, the Stones could do one thing The Beatles couldn't. They have that greasy, sleazy, dirty rockn'roll groove that belongs only to them.

Songs, like Let it Bleed, Can't Always Get What You Want, Tumbling Dice, Honkey Tonk Woman, Can You Hear Me Knockin'.....those are amazing songs.

My problem with the Stones is that I can't enjoy them.  After the first song, I usually feel like my soul has been defiled in some way.  Not so with the Beatles.

Brent
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 05:54:15 am »

Brent---

That's true about the Stones---they are very unique in their own way. I think what makes
The Beatles so varied also is the fact that all four of them sang songs. Mainly John or Paul
or both of them together, and George, and Ringo occasionally. The Stones, The Kinks,
Led Zeppelin, etc. stayed with one vocalist, so you always had the same voice. The Who did
split with Townshend singing sometimes, but for the most part many groups stayed with
one vocalist alone.

Some of their best songs were when the lead vocals were split, like "A Day in the Life",
or "Hard Day's Night" where the vocals trade back and forth between them. Some of my
favorite songs by them were actually sung by John, like "Dear Prudence"--I love that song,
but I love "Mother Nature's Son" equally well, with Paul singing the lead.

As for the Kinks, they wrote a great song with "I'm so tired, tired of waiting, tired of waiting
for you-u-u". But I guess that's for another thread.

--Joe
editor
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 06:07:03 am »

Brent---

That's true about the Stones---they are very unique in their own way. I think what makes
The Beatles so varied also is the fact that all four of them sang songs. Mainly John or Paul
or both of them together, and George, and Ringo occasionally. The Stones, The Kinks,
Led Zeppelin, etc. stayed with one vocalist, so you always had the same voice. The Who did
split with Townshend singing sometimes, but for the most part many groups stayed with
one vocalist alone.

Some of their best songs were when the lead vocals were split, like "A Day in the Life",
or "Hard Day's Night" where the vocals trade back and forth between them. Some of my
favorite songs by them were actually sung by John, like "Dear Prudence"--I love that song,
but I love "Mother Nature's Son" equally well, with Paul singing the lead.

As for the Kinks, they wrote a great song with "I'm so tired, tired of waiting, tired of waiting
for you-u-u". But I guess that's for another thread.

--Joe

Here's my list of most underrated, awesome bands:

1.)Kinks
2.)Three Dog Night
3.)Little Feat---known by true afficionado's, but largely ignored my public
4.)Humble Pie
5.)Elvis Costello and the Attractions

All of them had hits, most people know who they are, but relatively few realize how totally awesome they are. 

I like Little Feat the best, although the Kinks made much more of a splash.  Three Dog Night have some really great songs, but people seem to have forgotten about them.

Peter Frampton would be in my top five list of guitarists on some days.....(Humble Pie)

Anyways,

Brent
David Mauldin
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 07:06:54 am »

It's not Penny Lane, it is just called "Records".  I saw the Kinks with Alice Cooper in 77? at Angel Stadium. I really didn't know who they were!  They found a new audience  the next year with 'Misfits"  Remember "Live life!" I also saw the Tubes, Nazereth, and Sha Na Na! at the same concert! I really can't say I enjoyed that concert. All I remember was sitting up in the highest level kinda bored. As I became a Christian the next year I didn't go to secular concerts (Can you imagine telling the bretheren you went to see Elton John without getting hammered?) until I went to the Elevation u2 in 2001.(Actually this concert, as all their concerts, is about 33% Christian attended.)(At the Verigo concert I overheard a number of people openly talking about "The Lord") I was on the floor doing the pogo the whole time. This I feel is the ultimate collective consciousness experience.  Something the pagans developed?  O.K. Christians do it all the time! No Condemnation! Brent, your list has me curious I have never listened to some of those guys. Are they in the Hall of fame? I personally feel that Van Morrison has not received the recognition he deserves (He has explored and perfected genre's I have never heard anyone else attempt- Hard Nose the Highway, Veedon fleece.) Yet he was one of the first guys inducted. Someone must know something.

"Baby you're a rich man to!" Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 07:32:56 am by David Mauldin » Logged
editor
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 08:01:21 am »

It's not Penny Lane, it is just called "Records".  I saw the Kinks with Alice Cooper in 77? at Angel Stadium. I really didn't know who they were!  They found a new audience  the next year with 'Misfits"  Remember "Live life!" I also saw the Tubes, Nazereth, and Sha Na Na! at the same concert! I really can't say I enjoyed that concert. All I remember was sitting up in the highest level kinda bored. As I became a Christian the next year I didn't go to secular concerts (Can you imagine telling the bretheren you went to see Elton John without getting hammered?) until I went to the Elevation u2 in 2001.(Actually this concert, as all their concerts, is about 33% Christian attended.)(At the Verigo concert I overheard a number of people openly talking about "The Lord") I was on the floor doing the pogo the whole time. This I feel is the ultimate collective consciousness experience.  Something the pagans developed?  O.K. Christians do it all the time! No Condemnation! Brent, your list has me curious I have never listened to some of those guys. Are they in the Hall of fame? I personally feel that Van Morrison has not received the recognition he deserves (He has explored and perfected genre's I have never heard anyone else attempt- Hard Nose the Highway, Veedon fleece.) Yet he was one of the first guys inducted. Someone must know something.

"Baby you're a rich man to!" Cheesy

As far as I know, they are all hall of famers.

I would also add to the list Roxy Music.

If you want two extremely cool albums get

Time Loves a Hero---by little feat.
Avalon---Roxy Music

You won't be dissappointed.

Brent
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 12:54:42 am »

I agree---Roxy Music is way underrated. I have the album "Avalon", and the song of
the same title on that album is beautiful. Another group that never really got the
fame they may have deserved was King Crimson--Greg Lake from Emerson Lake and
Palmer sang for them for a while and  sang "In the court of the Crimson King"--it's
a pretty awesome song.

I also used to be a big fan of "Ten Years After" with guitarist Alvin Lee who was actually
a pretty amazing guitarist. I have almost all of Joe Walsh's solo albums too. He wrote some
very beautiful songs---all you hear from him is "Rocky Mountain Way" but he had dozens of
other tunes that are really far better than that. The Moody Blues weren't too bad either--
"A Question of Balance" is a great album.

--Joe
vernecarty
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 01:05:19 am »

An interesting intersection of two people I admire for different reasons.
Bassist Stanley Clarke is showing his versatility.
He did the soundtrack for Steven Seagal's latest film "Into the Sun".
Verne
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 01:15:01 am by VerneCarty » Logged
editor
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 01:38:28 am »

I agree---Roxy Music is way underrated. I have the album "Avalon", and the song of
the same title on that album is beautiful. Another group that never really got the
fame they may have deserved was King Crimson--Greg Lake from Emerson Lake and
Palmer sang for them for a while and  sang "In the court of the Crimson King"--it's
a pretty awesome song.

I also used to be a big fan of "Ten Years After" with guitarist Alvin Lee who was actually
a pretty amazing guitarist. I have almost all of Joe Walsh's solo albums too. He wrote some
very beautiful songs---all you hear from him is "Rocky Mountain Way" but he had dozens of
other tunes that are really far better than that. The Moody Blues weren't too bad either--
"A Question of Balance" is a great album.

--Joe

I'm not sure why, but I never could get into ELP, or King Crimson.  I did like Fripp's work with Peter Gabriel, but KC just never meant much to me for some reason. 

I always thought ELP were silly, especially the synthesizer on "Lucky Man."  No offense meant, they just weren't my cup of tea.

Stanley Clarke's best work, IMO, was with the New Barbarians.  Keith Richards, Ziggy Modeliste, Clarke and some other guy. 

Brent
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: