AssemblyBoard
May 17, 2024, 03:20:24 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Kerry victory?-----NAW!!!!  (Read 31309 times)
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2004, 11:11:07 am »

Of course what Putin is doing in destroying Yukos illustrates the extreme levels of abuse possible on the other side of the coin.

Someone would need good quality inside information about Yukos executives to know whether they deserve it or not.  I certainly don't presume to know.  Russia does have a serious problem with organized crime.

The power scam in California is evidence of organized crime in our own country.  There are probably more criminal companies among us.  They probably network and work together on their schemes; perhaps even Yukos is part of the network.
vernecarty
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2004, 05:46:43 pm »

The power scam in California is evidence of organized crime in our own country.  There are probably more criminal companies among us.  They probably network and work together on their schemes; perhaps even Yukos is part of the network.

To say nothing of Enron and Global Crossing.
I am reading a book by James A Scudder and he is one of very few students of prophecy that I have heard make the claim that America is the Babylon depicted in Revelation and whose destiny is destruction. Most of them point to the Catholic church.
He makes a powerful case that when one considers the kind of economic influence wielded by the nation described, and the global perturbation and consternation  that ensues from its demise, no other nation even comes close to fitting the bill.
Soberng is it not?
Here is my question - would you consider God unjust if what is described as being in store for Babylon in the apocalypse was indeed our destiny?
If you believe Scudder to be correct, how would it change the way you live and your plans for the future?
Verne
p.s You only have to take a brief look at Yukos' actual reported revenues Steve and then take a look at the tax bill to conclude that they are being sent a message. I am not making the case at all that they are not quilty of something, but that political intrigue is a component of all this is undeniable.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 06:00:56 pm by vernecarty » Logged
editor
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2004, 09:23:10 pm »

I am reading a book by James A Scudder and he is one of very few students of prophecy that I have heard make the claim that America is the Babylon depicted in Revelation and whose destiny is destruction. Most of them point to the Catholic church.

I have heard this theory before, and it has merit in the sense that America is certainly guilty of "Babylonian" behavior.  However, we just don't know if we are it.

One thing I find interesting is that whenever someone comes up with a new idea regarding prophecy, it is often met with scorn.  The fact is, someone is going to be prophetic Babylon...

I am somwhat taken aback by the number of people who view George W. Bush's election as being somewhat like the reign of Josiah.  I know he is a good man, with sincere faith (that's what we're told, with no one to discredit it...most likely true) but I really don't see him leading the nation into a revival.  

I pray that he does move aggressively and succesfully to a conservative agenda, but I don't think that political reforms translate into morals or godliness.

I am convinced that the next two years are going to be incredibly interesting and monumental in the historic sense.

I'm still really happy that we didn't get Kerry.

Brent
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2004, 03:17:26 am »

Soberng is it not?

Soberng-- Is that a city somewhere in Scandanavia? Grin

Here is my question - would you consider God unjust if what is described as being in store for Babylon in the apocalypse was indeed our destiny?

I believe myself correct in thinking that by "our destiny" you refer to that of the nation and not that of the saints.  Regardless, any child of God who considers God unjust for any reason has some serious issues to take care of.  Immediately.  
"God unjust" is an oxymoron to the nth degee.

If you believe Scudder to be correct, how would it change the way you live and your plans for the future?
Verne

I heard a story, purportedly true, from the pulpit many years ago that made a deep impression on me:  Some seminarians were playing billiards in the lounge of their dormitory following the day's classes, when the question arose, "What would you do if you knew for certain that the world would end 24 hours from now?"

Immediately one said that he would shout the gospel from the rooftops, compelling sinners to come to Christ.  Another declared that he would contact all his family and friends who were not saved and urge them to receive Christ.  In turn, each had similar ideas until, at last, there was only one who had not answered.  (The preacher who told this said this last student went on to become a great man of God, but I was a new Christian at the time, so the name meant nothing to me.  The story impressed me, but I don't remember who the principal character was.)

As all eyes turned to the last student, he proceeded to line up his shot, saying, "I would finish this game."

It struck me as odd, even wrong, until the story teller explained that, while all the others felt they had been slack, having left work undone, this one man lived a life of obedience to Christ, caring to see that his every deed and word were in the will of God.  He was shooting billiards at this hour, not to escape reality, but because his life was caught up, on schedule, and this was time the Lord had given him for recreation.

I wish I could tell you that I am that faithful.  But I can say that it is my desire and goal to walk in such a way.  I think, and sincerely hope, that the crashing of God's justice upon the nation in which I dwell could only intensify my desire to please Him.  May it be so with us all...

al

vernecarty
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2004, 03:46:24 am »

Soberng is it not?

Soberng-- Is that a city somewhere in Scandanavia? Grin

al

No Al; This is what you do after a night of inebriation.  Grin
Verne
editor
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2004, 04:38:19 am »

I heard a story, purportedly true, from the pulpit many years ago that made a deep impression on me:  Some seminarians were playing billiards in the lounge of their dormitory following the day's classes, when the question arose, "What would you do if you knew for certain that the world would end 24 hours from now?"

I thought about this, and decided that I would be really frightened if this were the case.  I'd probably talk to my family and friends, but more than anything else, I'd want to make ammends with anyone I thought I had wronged.

Actually, I make that a practice right now too.

It's going to be awesome, terrible and frightening when this world comes to an end, and I wonder if anyone who expresses anything other than fear and trembling is living in reality?

When you get right down to it, I guess we would all respond in the same way we have in the past when we see an urgent need.

Some break down and cry,  others rage, others take action and keep a cool head....hopefully, by God's grace we would respond in a way that glorifies Him.

Since we're on the topic, I must confess that questions like this really peeve me.  I have hear certain pious utterings from time to time, but one that particularly irritates me is,  "We should all live like Christ could come at any minute."

Nonsense! Jesus Himself said don't worry about tomorrow. If we managed to convince ourselves into believing that He was actually coming today, would you pay your bills?  Would you go to work?  Would you mow the lawn (Assuming it wasn't part of the 1/3 that got burned up in an earlier plague.)?

There is no chance I'd do anything normal if I KNEW the world was coming to an end.  What's the point?

Instead, we should be faithful people and seek to occupy until He comes.  This means showing up on time for work, being kind and generous, standing for the faith, and planning responsibly for our futures.

If I knew Jesus was returning on April 16th, I probably wouldn't pay my taxes on the 15th.....or maybe I would...it doesn't matter, the mail would never make it anyway.

Brent

vernecarty
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2004, 04:53:21 am »

Terrifying indeed Brent. Meeting the Son of God for many will not be a happy occasion. Even the beloved disciple, who arguably knew greater intimacy with the Lord than any who has ever lived, fell at His feet as one dead. I believe the apostle John was a holy man.
Where does that leave us?
Nevertheless, my hope is the scriptural promise that we we shall see Him as He is for we shall be like HIm!
Shivers me timbers it does... Smiley
Verne
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 04:54:09 am by vernecarty » Logged
enchilada
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2004, 06:43:57 pm »

I know some of you wish that Kerry had won. Well in the spirit of Free Trade we offer you a solution. Move to Canada. We are liberal thinkers here and would welcome you with open arms. I know because as a Bush supporter I feel like a fish out of water up here.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1099581616097_94990816/?hub=Canada

Hugh Grin

Canada is a great place to buy lumber.  I plan to buy most of my lumber there and truck it down here in order to avoid the high prices at US lumber yards.  The liberals down here have helped mess of the lumber industry due to their odd passion for trees and their desire to hug them.  It's ironic that Canada has so many liberals, yet permit vast harvesting of their forests.  Perhaps  if we can get the US liberals to misconstrue a forest as a helpless unborn baby, we'll see a bonanza in forest clearcutting and reduction in lumber prices.
editor
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2004, 07:23:12 pm »

I know some of you wish that Kerry had won. Well in the spirit of Free Trade we offer you a solution. Move to Canada. We are liberal thinkers here and would welcome you with open arms. I know because as a Bush supporter I feel like a fish out of water up here.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1099581616097_94990816/?hub=Canada

Hugh Grin

Canada is a great place to buy lumber.  I plan to buy most of my lumber there and truck it down here in order to avoid the high prices at US lumber yards.  The liberals down here have helped mess of the lumber industry due to their odd passion for trees and their desire to hug them.  It's ironic that Canada has so many liberals, yet permit vast harvesting of their forests.  Perhaps  if we can get the US liberals to misconstrue a forest as a helpless unborn baby, we'll see a bonanza in forest clearcutting and reduction in lumber prices.

You're on a roll Dan.  I never thought of it that way.  What sick, sick thinking.  

Brent
Oscar

Email
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2004, 09:51:03 pm »

Hugh Grin

Dan,

Here in the USA we have made the mistake of campaigning against enviro-Nazis on the basis of freedom, jobs and the fact that there are more trees in the lower 48 states today than there were when Columbus arrived.  These things mean nothing to the enviro-whackos.

More trees than when Columbus arrived?  Yes.

In Daniel Boone's day there were buffalos in Kentucky and Tennessee.  That's because the eastern great plains extended that far in those days.  you see...the indians liked steak and roast.  Deer and buffalo.  Grazing animals graze where there is grass, not trees.

They made more open land by setting the forest on fire regularly!   Shocked

When I was in Canada last summer, we visited a place called "Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump."  It was a cliff where the "Original Environmentalists" drove entire herds of buffalo over the cliff, took what they wanted, and then let the wolves, coyotes, and crows eat the remaining tons of rotting meat.  Early fur trappers said that you could smell those places forty or fifty miles downwind.

So, the modern tree huggers sit in their New York and San Fransisco apartments and cry when they think about the "Old Growth" forests being cut down. (they don't know that trees get old and die just like everything else except for government programs)

We need to campaign for lumbering on the basis of a "Lumberjack's Right to Choose."

BTW, Canada has bazillions of trees, so I suspect the lumber interests are so powerful that they have to leave them alone.  Hard to sell a tree shortage in Canada.  Sort of like selling a sand shortage in Libya.

Now, if Canada could figure out a way to market their other major product, frozen water, they'd be the richest country in the world.

Thomas Maddux
vernecarty
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2004, 10:05:38 pm »

Hugh Grin

Do  you have your own trailer(for moving the lumber, of course  Grin) Dan or do you rent? My partners and I are thinking about getting a few lots for Spring construction and would be very interested in what  kind of savings you are seeing.
We are planning on taking a crew down to the islands sometime and I am looking into some new modules for concrete construction. Apparently you can stack these things  together like leggos (stick building does not pass muster in hurricane country as you well know) and pour the concrete into the modules.
Have you heard anything about these?
Building material in the islands is unbelievably expensive. Stone masons there are eighty bucks an hour!
Verne
p.s On the other hand,,,that's only half what my attorney charges... Grin
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 04:45:41 am by vernecarty » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2004, 11:51:50 pm »

Building material in the islands is unbelievably expensive. Stone masons there are eighty bucks an hour!
Verne

Yeah, Mon, but you can get stoned masons quite cheap!!! Grin

vernecarty
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2004, 04:40:59 am »

Verne

Yeah, Mon, but you can get stoned masons quite cheap!!! Grin

How much? I'll take as many as yer got...they're that good!  Grin
Verne
vernecarty
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2004, 07:37:21 am »

Soooo....does anyone think the marines taking Fallujah will have any lasting impact  on the situation in Iraq?
Why on earth were they trumpeting to every Tom Dick and Harry who would listen that they were planning to do this?
Apparently the insurgents have move most of their fighters out and are now engaged in co-ordinated attacks all over the country including places in  Baghdad.These folk seem to be able to wreak havoc pretty much at will....
Verne
editor
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2004, 09:37:45 am »

Soooo....does anyone think the marines taking Fallujah will have any lasting impact  on the situation in Iraq?
Why on earth were they trumpeting to every Tom Dick and Harry who would listen that they were planning to do this?
Apparently the insurgents have move most of their fighters out and are now engaged in co-ordinated attacks all over the country including places in  Baghdad.These folk seem to be able to wreak havoc pretty much at will....
Verne

If I was an insurgent, or even a terrorist for that matter...and I knew that someone was going to come in to the city and look for me...well, I might think about doing something like going somewhere else.

Zarqawi has done just that, according to the news.  Maybe the reporters know where he is?

I'm telling you, we are going to regret this.  We have to conquer these people, not "root them out."  

The insurgents are civilians, and the insurgents five years from now are 12 year olds.

Their view of the world needs to change.

Brent
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: