AssemblyBoard
May 03, 2024, 04:21:21 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: DAILY CHATTING ABOUT THINGS  (Read 106892 times)
lenore
« on: May 13, 2004, 09:13:25 am »

Smiley Cheesy Kiss Huh Cool Shocked Roll Eyes Wink Roll Eyes

THIS IS MY IDEA: Shocked

A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE CAN JUST TALK! Shocked
:oDAILY LIFES
 :(CONCERNS IN FACING THAT DAILY LIFE
 ;DHAPPY THINGS TO SHARE
 ;)PRAISES
 ???TIMES YOU JUST COULDNT FACE ANOTHE DAY, AND SOMETHING WONDERFUL HAS HAPPENED.
 ::)A JOKE
 8)SOMETHING SPECIAL YOUR KIDS SAID
 :PSOMETHING YOUR PET DID.
 :-XYOUR ANGRY, BUT SOMETHING GAVE YOU PEACE. Cheesy
 Cheesy BE ENCOURAGING AND BE ENCOURAGED.
 ;)COMPLAIN ABOUT THE WEATHER
 :)SIMPLE EVERY DAY LIFE.
 :(NORMAL ROUTINE, DULL, BORING, EXCITING, UNPREDICTABLE, THE PREDICTABLE, UNEXPECTED, THE SURPRISES, THE DISAPPOINTMENTS,
 8)BEING IN THE 8 BALL, OR SCORING A HOMERUN.
 EmbarrassedAN EMBARASSING MOMENT
 ;DTALKING ABOUT YOUR CHILDHOOD, SCHOOL DAYS, THE POSITIVE OF THE ASSEMBLY DAYS, A TRIP DOWN POSITIVE MEMORY DAYS.
 EmbarrassedIF YOU CANT FIND ONE MAYBE SOMEONE CAN GIVE YOU ONE TO HOLD ON TO.
 :DA BIBLE VERSE THAT TICKLES YOU, INSPIRED YOU, YOU JUST HAD TO SHARE IT, SPIRITUALLY LIFTED YOU, OR GAVE YOU A SPIRITUAL KICK IN THE PANTS.
 ;)YOUR SUNDAY SERMON, WHAT HIT H OME, AND THE
RESEARCH YOU DID AFTER.
 :)I AM GETTING LONG AGAIN.
 :oAND SORRY I AM ON CAPS Shocked

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Huh Grin Cheesy  I'LL START YOU OFF"

TONIGHT WAS BIBLE STUDY, STUDYING THE BOOK OF JAMES. IT WAS OUR LAST NIGHT ,FOR THE SUMMER.
WE HAD GOODIES TO EAT. I BROUGHT MY FAMOUS PINEAPPLE CAKE ALONG.
THE DISCUSSION WAS GREAT. PASTOR B. GAVE GREAT INSIGHT.  GOD ALLOWED ME TO SHARE AND REMEMBER CERTAIN PARABLE, VERSES, ETC.
THAT AIDED IN THAT DISCUSSION.
OTHERWISE, WHAT DID I DO TO DAY? :oLETS SEE:
BREAKFAST WITH MY PARENTS :oGROCERY SHOPPING THX TO MY PARENTS :oGOT THE GARBAGE READY FOR TOMORROWS PICK UP :oDID UP MY TAXES 8)I GOT A BIT OF A REFUND. :oTOOK THE DOG FOR A WALK TO THE MAIL BOX, WENT TO CANADIAN TIRE FOR SOME Shocked
PAPER BAGS FOR RECYCLING LAWN MATERIAL. :oBAKED A CAKE :oANSWERED A FEW EMAILS :oGOT ANGRY AT ONTARIO WORKS :oGAVE THE DOG HERE ASPIRIN FOR HER ARTHRITIS :(CHASED THE CAT INTO THE NEIGHBOUR YARD BEFORE CATCHING HIM Roll Eyes READ THE LOCAL CHRONICLE GUIDE PAPER. Grin NOW I AM HERE.

Huh Huh Huh Huh ???SO IS THIS TOPIC ACCEPTABLE, WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS IDEA Huh Huh ???FEEDBACK PLEASE Huh Huh Tongue
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 10:03:25 am »

Hi Lenore,

Your posts have been a refreshing change of pace for this board.  Most of the things you suggest for this thread have popped up here & there on various other threads, but they are only occasional spots sandwiched between real serious stuff.

It might be kinda fun to just chat about "stuff" on this thread without worrying about whether we seem spiritual enough.  Too much time in the assembly mausoleums has made some of us gloomy & taken away our sense of fun...  If we're going to do whatever we do Heartily as unto the Lord, let's just enjoy each others' company...

I've spent the day trying to get ready to leave tomorrow morning for a two-week driving vacation with wife Cathy.  Getting ready to hit the road is always, for me, like trying to load ten pounds into a five pound container-- something is always popping up where I don't want it to...
     Anyway, Cathy has all her stuff done & is going to bed & she asks me how near going to bed I am...  I laugh & say I may not get to bed before we leave, so she says "Well, I'll just help you then."  She doesn't realize that this is impossible, as I am so hopelessly disorganized at this point that I wouldn't know what to have her do for me.
     So I tell her, "You can help me by being able to drive so I finally can get to sleep when it's time for us to leave in the morning."
     "I can do that," she says, then kisses me goodnight & goes to bed.

We'll have a great trip, the Lord willing, visiting friends & family in NC & VA.  Son Joshua is house/dog sitting for us.  The dogs are not happy campers when we're gone.  They'll be all over us when we come home.  The terrier is 12 years old, petite & relatively reserved even when he's excited.  But the golden retriever is a three year old pup (going on 6 months old Roll Eyes) who thinks that the only true expression of affection is non-stop licking.  His tongue is the size of an oven mitt & the consistency of a well-used bathmat.  We call him SpongeTongue Hairpants.

We'll be off-line for about two weeks.  Take advantage of it to talk about me Grin

Thanks, Lenore, for setting this up-- I feel better already!!!

al Wink

lenore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 10:27:04 am »

Wink THANKS AL, FOR YOUR VERY KIND WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT.

I PRAY FOR TRAVEL MERCIES.
JUST ON THE WEST COURSE HEY???
HEY IS AN OTTAWA VALLEY ACCENT"YA RIGHT"

HOW OLD ARE YOUR KID? IF HE IS OLD ENOUGH TO HOUSE SIT AND DOG SIT? IN HIS TEENS OR JUST PASS IT.

GLAD TO HAVE 40+ AGE GROUP. MAYBE GETTING TO THE 50+ IS AROUND THE CORNER HEY?Huh Grin Grin Grin

MY DOG MISSY IS NINE YEARS OLD, SHE IS A BORDER COLLIE LAB MIX.  SHE IS BECOMING LAME WITH ARTHRITIS IN HER BACK LEG.
SHE STILL AT TIMES THINKS SHE A PUPPY, TRIED TO CHASE A FLY AND FELL JUST BEFORE I WENT TO BIBLE STUDY. OUT CAME THE ASPIRIN MIX WITH HONEY.
I THANK GOD FOR MY CAT. THE CAT LIKES HONEY. MISSY DOESNT LIKE TO SHARE HER FOOD WITH THE CAT.  SO DOWN GOES THE HONEY ASPIRIN MIXTURE. NO  FIGHTING.

THERE IS A BILL GAITHER SONG CALLED
"THE FAMILY OF GOD"
FIRST LINE IS " I'M AM SO GLAD , I'M A PART OF THE FAMILY OF GOD. i'VE BEEN WASHED IN THE FOUNTAIN, CLEANSED BY HIS BLOOD, JOINT HEIRS WITH JESUS AS WE TRAVEL THIS SOD, FOR I'M PART OF THE FAMILY. THE FAMILY OF GOD.

THIS BOARD IS A BOARD TO VENT.
WE ARE ALL AT DIFFERENT STAGES OF ASSEMBLY EXPERIENCE, TRYING TO RECONNECT WITH FORMER BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN THE LORD WE LOST CONTACT WITH.

TO ME, BEING PART OF THE FAMILY OF GOD, NO MATTER WHAT OUR STATION IN LIFE, NO MATTER OUR SO CALLED"FAITH CORE IS" .

LIKE GOD'S WORD SAYS, ::)I CANT REMEMBER THE ADDRESS BOOK, CHAPTER OR VERSE:
WE ARE TO BE AN ENCOURAGEMENT OF EACH OTHER.
WE ARE TO WATCH OUT FOR EACH OTHER.
WE ARE TO HELP EACH OTHER BURDENS.
THIS CAN INCLUDE JUST LISTENING, NO TALKING, JUST LISTEN. "SAY DIDNT JAMES SAY THAT",
MAYBE YOU DONT UNDERSTAND, MAYBE WE ARENT MEANT TO UNDERSTAND, IF A SAINT NEEDS TO VENT, LET THEM VENT OUT , OFFERING THAT SAINT THE EARS, SHOULDERS, AND LISTENING HEART, TO VENT.
THEN WHEN ALL THE VENTING IS OVER.
BE ENCOURAGING. PRAYING FOR EVEN THE SIMPLE REQUEST, CAN BRING COMFORT.

I AM A LONG WAY TO GO. MY SPIRITUAL HEALING IS STILL IN PROGRESS, AND THE ASSEMBLY IS NOT TO BLAME FOR IT ALL.
I AM ACCOUNTABLE FOR MY FEELING. THERE ARE REASONS IN THE PAST THAT MAKE ME , ME AT THIS MOMENT. BUT MY WORD, ACTIONS AND THOUGHTS, ARE MY OWN RESPONSIBILITY,
SORRY I AM GETTING ON A TANGENT.

WHERE WAS I? YES: YOUR TRIP, DOGS, SON ETC.
HAVE A GOOD VACATION. ENJOY YOURSELF. BE SAFE,
YOU AND YOUR WIFE JUST ENJOY EACH OTHER COMPANY, THE SITES, AND GOD IN HIS CREATION.

THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT.
lenore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 12:23:25 pm »

::)MAY 19 3:14 AM EST:

ARNPRIOR:
WHAT IS HAPPENING IN ARNPRIOR???

Have any of you ever had a 90 lb dog try to get into your skin?
Have you any experience a dog with worse case of separation anxiety?
How does your dog react to thunderstorms, firecrackers going off, or even sirens.?

Today: I was lying in bed with my feet up, separating papers, ones I want to keep and the ones that are going to be recycled.
And the ones that I want to pass on to my girls.
for example report cards, certificate they have earned over that 24 and 17 years inclusive.

Well we had a thunder storm,
Up jumped Missy. Until the storm was over. There was no more separating papers, and if Missy could crawl into my skin , she would of.

Went to a ladies bible study tonight, where one of the ladies gave her testimony, right from childhood to the present. Using quilting pieces to help us visual her testimony, moving the pieces around , emphasising certain areas, and changing priorities as her life experiences changed with circumstances and trials.
All the time relying on God to see her through.
Well when she was finished with her story.
Those quilting pieces she was putting on the fabric board, ended up to be an ohio star square.

Eight points.
in the middle the top part was Contentment
in the middle at the bottom was Promises.

Going from clockwise , starting at the bottom:
Jesus Christ, Joy, Peace, Family, Love.
Her testimony was a very inspirational one, of hope, endurance, faith, dependencing of waiting on God, peace during the rough times. Knowledge that God promises to care for us during those times.

The Mundane Stuff: even in our dull and boring repetition of life, we can be joyful and walk hand in hand with God.
I must of done about 10 loads of laundry today, walking up the stairs, to the basement, and up two  to the bedroom.
I have a cat name Percy, who loves to play with rolled up socks.
You could give him a pair to play with.
Does that satisfy him.  NOPE.
I can put 5 pairs or 50 pairs in a drawer.
This cat of mine has learned to open those drawers were those socks are.  Next morning if you want a pair of socks, just follow the trail of rolled up socks all over the house.
He puts his little paws, in the draw opens it a crack, and pick a pair, throws it up in the air, bats it around .
Then goes and gets another pair. He got caught trying to do this with my daughter dresser one day. And got caught him self. He meowed and meowed and when I went to look why he was meowing so pitiful, There he was hanging by his paw , from the drawer.
Do you think he learned his lesson? NOPE
NOW WE HANG A BAG ON TOP OF THE DOOR TO THE ROOMS , THAT HAS A HOOK ON IT. This is were we store our socks. The cat will even throw them into the toliet, or bathwater, anywhere, to chase them.

If animals are not your things, What did you eat today?
Daily conversation,  daily living, daily realities, can be fun......

« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 12:24:55 pm by LENORE » Logged
lenore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 12:54:25 am »

:DMAY 22, 4 PM

WHAT SHOULD I SHARE WITH B AND B TODAY? Roll Eyes Huh Grin Wink Shocked Sad Kiss

I cut the grass, the birds are singing outside my bedroom window, I submitted an essay to a competition, finally caught up on all my laundry, talk to my Pastor about  his ideas of enchancing the music ,
getting my songs to sign for tomorrow,  Missy and Percy both sleeping on my bed.

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE MY TO SHARE./// Huh Cool
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 11:06:15 am »

Hi Lenore,

We just got back last evening.  Thanks for your prayers & kind wishes.  We had a wonderful time.  We got home with enough daylight left for us to walk the dogs-- boy, were they a handful!  They're pretty excited to see us when we've been gone all day, but when it's been almost two weeks-- Wow!!!
     Max is a 12-year-old terrier mix (gold & white) & pretty well-behaved.  Bear is another story altogether:  a two-year-old golden retreiver mix with milk-chocolate brown nose, lips & paw pads, he is an overgrown puppy-- all play & with about a two-seconds-long memory for the last command he heard.  He also has a typical puppy plumbing problem:  when he gets excited, he leaks!  I phoned ahead & had Josh leave him out in the back yard before we got home.  That way, when he saw us, he watered the concrete patio instead of the livingroom carpet Grin.

The car ran like a dream, we had comfortable beds wherever we went, and the weather was almost perfect, which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are very spiritual people who are pleasing the Lord! Roll Eyes  Just kidding, folks-- it really was that great, but it only proves that God was giving us a break this trip.  He makes His rain to fall upon the just and the unjust, and we can be as grateful for one kind of weather as another because the earth is the Lord's and all the fulness thereof.

I'm a little disappointed, but not particularly surprised, that no one seems to be "getting" this thread.  I suppose it doesn't seem spiritual enough Undecided.  But that's OK, cuz you & I are having fun here, right, Sis? Cheesy

Cathy & I visited saints in NC & in VA, got to have some great fellowship & hear some inspiring ministry from the Word.  We had unexpected encounters with Christians along the way as well.  We learned several things:  God's people are alive and well in a number of places, God's people are hungry for fellowship and to learn more about Jesus Christ, and God's people everywhere think that Joe Spering is a very funny guy.

The saints are really fun to visit with.  In one place, a sister fed Cathy & me all kinds of wonderful food we aren't supposed to eat, and then right before we left she prayed for us that God would give us wisdom in following our
diet. Grin    In another home, I watched a brother who found a small caterpillar crawling on his dining table, as he very gently let the little worm crawl onto the tip of his penknife, then carried it outside to release it.  I was touched by the kindness to so insignificant a creature.  Shortly thereafter, a flying insect entered the room and the brother told his dog "Get it!" and watched the dog pounce upon & devour the bug. Shocked    After awhile, you almost get the idea that Christians are just ordinary people who have been saved by an extraordinary Redeemer God Smiley.

Anyway, it was a great getaway, especially for Cathy after a busy tax-preparation season, and we thank you, Lenore, and all who prayed for our safety and guidance.  We visited several lighthouses on the east coast, and took some walks on the beach, ate some fabulous seafood (that was on our diet), and saw some beautiful scenery.  We also heard the endless chorus of untold thousands of locusts in Virginia that only appear every 17 years, and we had a brief but excellent tour of Washington, D.C., including a look at the new WW2 memorial which will be officially dedicated this coming Saturday.  

Now, if you're new to this thread, please jump on in!  This is the fun thread!  You can talk about whatever is on your mind...  show off your kids' or grandkids' pictures...  brag about your flower garden...  share a favorite receipe (or request one).

In fact, I have a request:  When Cathy & I were married, someone sang a song during the service that was called (I think) Each For the Other, and Both For the Lord.  At least that was the first line of it.  We have never heard it or even heard of it since.  If anyone could provide us with the words & music, or even just the words, we'd be grateful.

OK-- 'snuff for now...   God bless,
al

P.S.-- Josh will be 33 in November.

summer007

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 11:26:44 am »

Hey Al, Good to see that your back...Your posts were refreshing... as the board was missing your absence.. If you want chills up your spine and mystic wonder read joe millers post its his birthday today should'nt be to hard to locate ....good-nite ..summer...
lenore
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 03:25:50 pm »

Hi Lenore,

We just got back last evening.  Thanks for your prayers & kind wishes.  We had a wonderful time.  We got home with enough daylight left for us to walk the dogs-- boy, were they a handful!  They're pretty excited to see us when we've been gone all day, but when it's been almost two weeks-- Wow!!!
     Max is a 12-year-old terrier mix (gold & white) & pretty well-behaved.  Bear is another story altogether:  a two-year-old golden retreiver mix with milk-chocolate brown nose, lips & paw pads, he is an overgrown puppy-- all play & with about a two-seconds-long memory for the last command he heard.  He also has a typical puppy plumbing problem:  when he gets excited, he leaks!  I phoned ahead & had Josh leave him out in the back yard before we got home.  That way, when he saw us, he watered the concrete patio instead of the livingroom carpet Grin.

The car ran like a dream, we had comfortable beds wherever we went, and the weather was almost perfect, which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are very spiritual people who are pleasing the Lord! Roll Eyes  Just kidding, folks-- it really was that great, but it only proves that God was giving us a break this trip.  He makes His rain to fall upon the just and the unjust, and we can be as grateful for one kind of weather as another because the earth is the Lord's and all the fulness thereof.

I'm a little disappointed, but not particularly surprised, that no one seems to be "getting" this thread.  I suppose it doesn't seem spiritual enough Undecided.  But that's OK, cuz you & I are having fun here, right, Sis? Cheesy

Cathy & I visited saints in NC & in VA, got to have some great fellowship & hear some inspiring ministry from the Word.  We had unexpected encounters with Christians along the way as well.  We learned several things:  God's people are alive and well in a number of places, God's people are hungry for fellowship and to learn more about Jesus Christ, and God's people everywhere think that Joe Spering is a very funny guy.

The saints are really fun to visit with.  In one place, a sister fed Cathy & me all kinds of wonderful food we aren't supposed to eat, and then right before we left she prayed for us that God would give us wisdom in following our
diet. Grin    In another home, I watched a brother who found a small caterpillar crawling on his dining table, as he very gently let the little worm crawl onto the tip of his penknife, then carried it outside to release it.  I was touched by the kindness to so insignificant a creature.  Shortly thereafter, a flying insect entered the room and the brother told his dog "Get it!" and watched the dog pounce upon & devour the bug. Shocked    After awhile, you almost get the idea that Christians are just ordinary people who have been saved by an extraordinary Redeemer God Smiley.

Anyway, it was a great getaway, especially for Cathy after a busy tax-preparation season, and we thank you, Lenore, and all who prayed for our safety and guidance.  We visited several lighthouses on the east coast, and took some walks on the beach, ate some fabulous seafood (that was on our diet), and saw some beautiful scenery.  We also heard the endless chorus of untold thousands of locusts in Virginia that only appear every 17 years, and we had a brief but excellent tour of Washington, D.C., including a look at the new WW2 memorial which will be officially dedicated this coming Saturday.  

Now, if you're new to this thread, please jump on in!  This is the fun thread!  You can talk about whatever is on your mind...  show off your kids' or grandkids' pictures...  brag about your flower garden...  share a favorite receipe (or request one).

In fact, I have a request:  When Cathy & I were married, someone sang a song during the service that was called (I think) Each For the Other, and Both For the Lord.  At least that was the first line of it.  We have never heard it or even heard of it since.  If anyone could provide us with the words & music, or even just the words, we'd be grateful.

OK-- 'snuff for now...   God bless,
al

P.S.-- Josh will be 33 in November.

WELCOME HOME AL;

PERCY THE CAT AND I ARE BOTH HERE TO SAY HELLO.
It is hard to type one handed but when an animal wants to cuddle there is no saying no.......I have a cuddler, right under the neck.

Missy the dog, it is so funny to see this 90 lbs border collie lab. trying to hide in a corner, with just her head hidden. Last night for Victoria Day Weekend there were
fire works going off in neighbours backyards.
One was quite close. This dog tries to get into your skin,and shake, she shakes so hard, I am sure the
earthquake richter scale went off.
My dog is a piddler too, when she gets excited, it is the breed of the lab. As well as the jumping trying to  give a kiss in the face.
She not good at jumping anymore because she is 9 years old and arthritic, but she tries and pays for it
for a couple of days.
I heard, that when a dog piddles in front of you in their excitement, it is a sign that they are submitting to your authority. I just tell people that Missy like them when she peed at their feet.  Well I think that what the
show 'GOOD DOG' said.
I even had a rottweiller did at my feet, and they are not known for that.  It was purely submissive.
This is a good post , when you can talk about a dog's urinary habits. HA HA HA Grin Grin Grin Wink
In all your touring , any time spent on the beach.
This weekend was rain, rain , and more rain. I have grass growing in my back yard, that I am going to need
a goat to trim it, it is so wet, and because I have an
electric lawn mower, I dont dare cut it when it is wet, when I think it is getting dry, it rains again.
It up to my knees I am sure.
I have had clothes on the line for 3 days now.
This morning at 7 am est. the sky still doesnt look to promising.  
I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon.
This is my usualy length. So I am saying
SEE YOU LATER.

ENCLOSED IS A PICTURE OF MISSY AND I TAKEN ABOUT 3-4 YEARS AGO.

M2
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 08:46:41 pm »

Song Title: Each For The Other and Both For The Lord
Words and Music by JOHN W. PETERSON

Verse 1
Darling the day has come that we've been dreaming of,
When at the altar white we'll say our vows of love;
Oh, what a happy time all gone the doubt and fear,
And with the promises we'll add this one, my dear.

Chorus
Each for the other and both for the Lord,
Oh, Darling Sweetheart let the angels record;
Vows sweetly spoken; May they never be broken,
Each for the other and both for the Lord.

Verse 2
We'll walk together Love, thru sunshine-thru the shade;
We'll mingle tears and smiles and travel unafraid;
Halos of happiness will crown each passing day
Till Heaven shines a head and beckons us away.

Repeat Chorus
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 05:28:51 am »

One of the best things about going away is being welcomed back. Wink  Thanks, Y'all!  (This country is still homogenizing-- we didn't hear nearly as much "Y'all" in NC, VA, & WV as in years past.)

Marcia, Cathy & I can't thank you enough for the lyrics to our wedding song.  I don't recall the melody to the verses, but I hum the chorus all the time.

Lenore, it is a privilege to finally meet the other person in the free world besides myself who still hangs laundry out to dry on a clothesline.  
I think they shoot people in So. Cali. for that-- it's called "clothes-rage" or some such thing Grin.

I heard, that when a dog piddles in front of you in their excitement, it is a sign that they are submitting to your authority. I just tell people that Missy like them when she peed at their feet.  Well I think that what the show 'GOOD DOG' said.

Yeah, the doggie sprinkling system is supposed to signify submission (in some ways it reminds me of the assembly Roll Eyes).  But, honestly, I'd much rather the big doofus would just bow or curtsy or something-- his aim is awful & those spots are hard to get out of my shoes! Tongue
But, enough about the canine process of elimination...

I watched a brother who found a small caterpillar crawling on his dining table, as he very gently let the little worm crawl onto the tip of his penknife, then carried it outside to release it.  I was touched by the kindness to so insignificant a creature.  Shortly thereafter, a flying insect entered the room and the brother told his dog "Get it!" and watched the dog pounce upon & devour the bug.

After posting the above, I got to thinking:  that little caterpillar will, if it survives, eventually become a flying insect itself.  So the brother may be simply raising his own dogfood (or entertainment). Wink

Cathy grew up with cats around the house, & I owned one (or it owned me) when I was a teenager.  But long since, we have both developed allergies to them.  Cathy's involves her eyes tearing up & her sinuses giving her grief, but mine gets into my bronchii & has come close to shutting down my breathing.

So how 'bout you, Summer & Marcia-- any pets?

I'm told that it's hard to start a conversation in a singles bar, but this is a tough house to play, too! Cool

We're still unpacking, but it's mostly done.  I got about half of the trip's laundry done today.  Tomorrow I'll try to finish that & wash all the bugs from five states off the car.  We kept so busy on the trip that we still have all the postcards we bought to send to people.  Maybe we'll just e-mail them & use the originals to wallpaper the guest bathroom... Huh

Well, I have lotsa catching up to do on other threads.  Later...

al

lenore
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 10:02:11 am »

:)MAY 26: 12:52 MIDNIGHT:

TELL ME: HOW DO YOU DO THAT? WITH JUST THE QUOTE YOU WANT WITHOUT RUNNING THE WHOLE QUOTE.??

you know this is fun, Just to be able to talk about silly things, like dog watering habits, "yellow snow",
clothes lines.,  insects etc.

Speaking of insects:
I was up late one night, sitting on the picnic table with the cat tie up, and the dog in the back yard, for  well were back to the watering habits again,
A couple of moths flew into the house.
Well you would of rolled over, just watching the cat and the dog. I couldnt untie the cat fast enough.
I closed the door.
The cat would jump and bat the moth down to the floor and Missy would go and get her nose in the moth, trying to nip at it.  And up it would fly again. The chase was on.  Once again, the cat would jump and bat it down, only dogs nose who encourage it  to fly again.
It was funny seeing the two of them , trying to work together, to the demise of the moth.

I believe God has given us these creatures as companion animals to give us these moments to enjoy, light our hearts and spirits.
Just like just talking  of  no real importance, just daily happening, it takes our hearts and minds off, the seriousness even for a moment, and lighten our hearts.
In just enjoying one another company, in small talk.

Maybe people have lost the art , of just small talk.
I remember growing up, in a village of Braeside/SandPoint. where neighbours would just drop by for a coffee, with kids along and visit .

Most the area of Braeside was relatives, but the its still some what true, among the more original families, that a walk around the hill of braeside, would mean an invite in for a coffee and a visit.
Just small talk around the coffee cup, It didnt matter if you house was a pigpen, upside down, with laundry, and  chores etc, there was always time for a visit with a neighbour, and the coffee pot was quick to be turn on. Even if it was just instant. or a cup of tea.
And if you were going for a walk, a trip to the outhouse
maybe in order.
I remember, not having running water, or indoor plumping until I was 16. My parents boiled water for baths, and cleaning. I still remember taking a bath in a big round metal tub, in the middle of the kitchen floor, someone come to the door, would mean a quick dash up the stairs, I am kind of glad was 30 years ago. I dont think that dash , would be so quick now. NOr would I fit into that tub.
My kids have no ideas, even people who never lived in a village that you had to walk to a community well, to bring home drinking water. have no idea. you know right now some of that early training is paying off, since my gas was disconnected due unable to financially support the gas company right now. I am boiling water and carrying up stairs to the tub for what i call a teacup bath.  I even thanked my mother last week for this training, that has came in handy.

whose next to share down memory lane, about the past , or even about today. funny, and silly, and just small insignifant chatter,  just let our hair down, be ourselves as people who like to converse.

WHOSE NEXT.

al Hartman

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2004, 03:49:28 pm »

I believe God has given us these creatures as companion animals to give us these moments to enjoy, light our hearts and spirits.
Just like just talking  of  no real importance, just daily happening, it takes our hearts and minds off, the seriousness even for a moment, and lighten our hearts.

There are a couple of points I would like to draw from the quote above...  not criticisms of what was said, but expansions upon the topic:

...God has given us these creatures as companion animals to give us these moments to enjoy...

There will come a time when, in the presence of Christ's glory, we will have learned to enjoy every moment.  Of course our concept of "moments" will be different when time is no more, but we can learn, even now, that all our moments can be enjoyed, if we will view them from God's perspective.
     When our pets' antics, or anything else, lightens our hearts let us remind ourselves that this is a gift from Him, and but a hint of the unspeakable joy to come...

Just like just talking  of  no real importance, just daily happening, it takes our hearts and minds off the seriousness even for a moment...

As children of the King of all the universe, we simply do not have anything in our lives that is "of no real importance."  It is all very serious, and for this very reason God allows & even enables us to "take our hearts and minds off the seriousness even  for a moment."  He lightens our hearts with amusements, not to distract us from the seriousness, but to show us that even the seriousness can be, is to be, enjoyed. Cheesy  Serious does not necessarily mean somber.  Delight thyself in the Lord, and Rejoice in the Lord always sort of indicate that to us, don't they? Wink

The Bible doesn't indicate that any of our talk is "small."  The world's idea of small talk is that much of what is said is unimportant, but everything that proceeds from the mouth of the child of God is important, so our concept must be different than the world's.
     What God doesn't want is for us to be fretting and straining over every sound we utter, trying to make sure that every syllable is Christ-honoring.  We aren't capable of dealing with life that way, and He doesn't want us to think that we should.
     Rather, by reading His Word, listening to sound ministry, and by committing our ways to Him in prayer, we can live and move in the assurance that He is with us, ministering to us, protecting us and guiding us.  (He has promised to be all this to us-- our participation does not "make" it happen, but serves to remind us of the reality of it all.  God, because of His covenant with us, makes it all happen.)
     Because He has lifted the "worry" part of life off our shoulders, we are free to enjoy each other's company.  If we are not enjoying each other, we need to ask God to show us why, because He wants us to...

All that being said, I grew up in the city, with running water and refrigeration for food, but community sanitation wasn't what it is today.  There were big problems with rodents, flies, and other vermin.  
     My mother used to take me by bus downtown to shop.  The stop where we caught the bus to return home was in front of a small newsstand at the corner of the Ohio statehouse grounds.  Mom (Mum, to you of British persuasion Grin) would buy me a small bag of peanuts in the shell, with which to feed the statehouse pigeons & squirrels while we awaited our bus.  Rats & mice would come out from under the newsstand shanty & beg for nuts side-by-side with the squirrels.  Mom got very upset when I would toss a nut to anything with a hairless tail! Roll Eyes

In the movie theaters, mice scurrying after dropped popcorn & candy were common, as were bats chasing moths in the light from the projector.  It added a certain poignancy to the Dracula films I suppose (I was never allowed to see them).

Money was tight for us in those days.  Once, when due to my rambunctious behavior one of my houseslippers landed in a boiling pot of spaghetti on the stove, turning the whole batch red, we were forced to eat the pasta anyway, for lack of funds to provide an alternative.  And for a season I was barefoot in the evenings, the slipper having been declared a total loss.

Things are better today, but the kids & grandkids have difficulty visualizing the tales of my youth.  Fact is, they scarcely can accept that I ever had a youth, often comparing my age to those of rocks and trees (LARGE trees). Shocked

More later,
al

lenore
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2004, 11:41:10 pm »

:DThank for sharing your memories of growing up.

Your are right of course, Some time it is hard to remember God in the simplest efforts of Life.
We forget to include him in the daily activities, which at times think is just ours.
It is true, God has granted us gifts of animal, conversation, being human, and human companionship and  fellowship in our speach.

It was cute, about the kids thinking that we were ever
young, and quite often Sara, my youngest, refuses by saying that was you and not relevant to me.

It kind of reminded me of my father , saying walking 5 miles in the snow , all up hill. to school.

Knowing that where some of my father g rowing up place , the school was about  5 minute walk.

My mother has further to walk than my father.

Those rats you fed as a boy, must of been pretty tame
at the time.

TELL ME SOMETHING; I should get an atlas out.
Is Ohio EST, or CST.

TALK TO YOU LATER:

I hope you are on one of your well days.

This is for you:::

THE POSITIVE SIDE OF LIFE"

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

How long a minute is
depends on what side of the
bathroom door you're on.

Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.

Happiness comes through doors you
didn't even know you left open.

Ever notice that the people who are late
are often much jollier
than the people who have to wait for them?

Most of us go to our grave
with our music still inside of us.

If Wal-Mart is lowering prices every day,
how come nothing is free yet?

You may be only one person in the world,
but you may also be the world to one person.

Some mistakes are too much fun
to only make once.

Don't cry because it's over;
smile because it happened.

We could learn a lot from crayons:
some are sharp, some are pretty,
some are dull, some have weird names,
and all are different colors....but
they all exist very nicely in the same box.

A truly happy person is one who
can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

Have an awesome day, and
know that someone
who thinks you're great
has thought about you today!..

"And that person was me.".....
Please don't keep this message
to yourself.....send it to those
who mean so much to you.... "NOW"..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

al Hartman

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 02:41:41 am »

It kind of reminded me of my father , saying walking 5 miles in the snow , all up hill. to school.

Knowing that where some of my father g rowing up place , the school was about  5 minute walk.

My mother has further to walk than my father.

My father had to drop out of school when he was still a boy, to help support his mother & siblings after his father died.  They lived in a small apartment above a brothel in Cincinnati, so I doubt that the school was very far away.
     My mother lived in rural Kansas, so probably had a farther walk to school than my father did.  She attended until shortly before H.S. graduation, then dropped out.  I asked her once why she hadn't stayed to graduate, but she said she didn't know.

Those rats you fed as a boy, must of been pretty tame at the time.

They were as tame as the squirrels & would probably have eaten from my hand if my Mom had let me get close enough.  The squirrels lived in the trees & the rats & mice lived under the newsstand, but they were the kinds of neighbors that we all should be-- I never saw them fight over food or show any signs of disharmony.

TELL ME SOMETHING; I should get an atlas out.
Is Ohio EST, or CST.

We are in the Eastern Time Zone.  When the TV says a program will be broadcast at "9 P.M., 10 Central,"  Ohio sees it at 9 Grin!
..........................................................................................................................

Some of the other memories I have from my childhood are:

Milkmen delivering dairy products to our door three days a week.  In the winter it was important to get it inside before it froze, because when it froze it would expand & push the caps off the bottles.

A man came around about once a month with a handcart-mounted grindwheel that was powered by a foot treadle.  He would ring a handbell, & all the neighborhood women would bring out their knives to be sharpened.

A man with a donkey & cart would prowl the alleys for usable scrap metal & other trash.

We would take family walks around the neighborhood in the evenings, & neighbors would be sitting out on their porches & would wave & speak to us.  Sometimes my parents would stop for a chat.

There were lots of other things, but that's enough for now...

:Dal

lenore
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 06:46:32 am »

MAY 26 AT 9:45 pm EST.

AL:

THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR MEMORIES.

I too, remember when the milk man used to come to the door, as well as the bread man.

ALthough my mother baked her own homemade buns.
My grandfather would love the frozen milk, because the cream at the top is what he preferred, He would have that cream on his cereal or even drink it straight.

My grandfather has been dead 25 years now. I still remember him.  I adored my grandfather.

I remember when I was five years old, we lived in a village of Sand Point, it was a mile long , a summer cottage community at the time. My grandparents live up the road. OUr dog was having puppies. It was the first time I was allow to go and get my grandfather, because my father was not home  at the time. The dog was having her puppies on the couch.
I was scare of the dark. Well I ran there.
I dont remember anything else of that day. Only going to get
my grandfather.

Then my grandparents moved to Braeside, and a few years later, we also moved to braeside, and lived across the street from my grandparents, it is still the place where my parents are still living.

My grandparents MacLean on my father side, were married 66 years , and died 66 days apart.
I was married during that year, 25 years ago.
I always say teasingly that is why my marriage died, because  there was 5 deaths in among my wedding.
I am divorced.

My folks this October coming will be married 49 years.
My mother is a Christian, my father is not.

NOW ON THE LIGHTER SIDE:
THERE IS A WEB SITE THAT IS A GAME:
A DAFFY DUCK GAME:

www.bewellweb.com-cogans-thinkjerm-games

I was able to get 300 points on one game, You get 10 chances.  
The object of the game is to get Daffy  to land on a target , after getting him to jump from a plane and get his parachute open.

so if anyone is willing to accept the challenge, You are on the honour system of the score.

DAILY CHATTER CHALLENGE:

TALK TO YOU LATER
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: