AssemblyBoard
May 17, 2024, 05:02:46 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: UNBELIEVABLE  (Read 32556 times)
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2004, 12:58:09 am »

Lucas---

You're right and I totally apologize. I have a close relative with epilepsy, and believe it or not, I heard
the joke below from him. He has a couple more--he
jokes about his infirmity. But to others it might not be so funny, so I apologize for my misplaced comments.
And retardation is not something to joke about either.
Sorry---got carried away there.

sincerely, Joe
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2004, 03:56:07 pm »

Rather offensive but slightly relevant  Shocked
--
lucas
Lucas,
I have twin down syndrome nephews.  That link is in bad taste, my friend.  You and I both know you are better than that.
Brent
I did claim it to be offensive, but I would indeed agree it was in bad taste.
--
lucas
Right on both counts

Agreement! ... and yet the derogatory link remains? ... in four places!

I don't understand today's culture very well, but it seems that a lot of people take things much more seriously than in the past.  You never know whether such "jokes" might be interpreted by someone as license to ill will toward someone so handicapped.  In today's culture it seems appropriate to me that such "jokes" be considered taboo among christians.

I even heard a preacher once use a derogatory joke about old people in his sermon, and then proceeded to preach against complaining.  It reminded me of Nazi Germany where they would joke about Jews so that people wouldn't notice it as much when they started shipping them off to death camps.  After all, old people complain more than young people.  If people think less of them, then they won't notice it as much when they die due to poor care, or get cancer from the increase of obnoxious ingredients in food (and some aren't on the label), or lose hearing because the volume control on the stereo or TV doesn't turn down the volume of the most damaging high frequencies, of lose their sight because of the new super-bright traffic signal lights.

I wonder whether some of this is intended to reduce the government Social Security bill or something.

What seems like other evidence is the TV game shows where contestants vote each other off the team.  Perhaps it's practice for voting people out of existence.
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2004, 10:14:19 pm »

Rather offensive but slightly relevant  Shocked
--
lucas
Lucas,
I have twin down syndrome nephews.  That link is in bad taste, my friend.  You and I both know you are better than that.
Brent
I did claim it to be offensive, but I would indeed agree it was in bad taste.
--
lucas
Right on both counts

Agreement! ... and yet the derogatory link remains? ... in four places!

It would be different if the picture was directly posted, or if there was no warning as to the content of the image (namely, no one is needlessly being exposed to it without their prior knowledge that it is offensive).  As it stands, while it was in admittedly bad taste for this forum, I have no reason change the link and would prefer to accept that I did something stupid then to try to hide the fact by removing all evidence of it Wink

--
lucas
Rachel

Email
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2004, 10:18:21 pm »

In High School I had a poster in my room with a 101 blonde jokes on it.  I thought they were funny.  I had my classmates in autoshop give me at print out of every blonde joke they could find on the internet.  I think there are very few I haven't heard.

It never bothered me.
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2004, 10:25:17 pm »

In High School I had a poster in my room with a 101 blonde jokes on it.  I thought they were funny.  I had my classmates in autoshop give me at print out of every blonde joke they could find on the internet.  I think there are very few I haven't heard.

It never bothered me.

Maybe you didn't get them? Wink

Just kidding, blondie! Grin
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 10:33:55 pm by Scott McCumber » Logged
Rachel

Email
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2004, 10:46:11 pm »

My favorite was of course the blonde comeback joke:

Where do blonde jokes come from?

Brunettes with nothing to do on a Saturday night.   Grin
outdeep

Email
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2004, 11:38:45 pm »

In Canada we tell Newfie (people from Newfoundland) jokes that are akin to blonde jokes. Most Newfies tell them better than us non-Newfies.
When my mother was growing up in the 1930/1940's, they told "moron" jokes.  (e.g., Did you here of the moron who saluted the refrigerator because he was told it was General Electric?)

Then after WWII and through the years I was growing up, it was Polish jokes.  Now, in the last 10 years, it became blond jokes.

I wonder how these things get started.
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2004, 11:41:58 pm »

In Canada we tell Newfie (people from Newfoundland) jokes that are akin to blonde jokes. Most Newfies tell them better than us non-Newfies.
When my mother was growing up in the 1930/1940's, they told "moron" jokes.  (e.g., Did you here of the moron who saluted the refrigerator because he was told it was General Electric?)

Then after WWII and through the years I was growing up, it was Polish jokes.  Now, in the last 10 years, it became blond jokes.

I wonder how these things get started.

Where I come from they're Hoosier jokes.

I started it.

Bob Knight's a jerk.

S Grin
Uh Oh

Email
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2004, 12:47:41 am »

I started it.

Bob Knight's a jerk.

S Grin

The real question is - how are you handling Bruce Weber???
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2004, 01:15:13 am »

I started it.

Bob Knight's a jerk.

S Grin

BAM - Bruce Almighty will be just fine. He's instituting a whole new offense, trying to win over some stars that are still mourning the loss of Coach Self-ish and working through some off-court stuff with a couple others.

He's already landed a monster power-forward that Izzo coveted and last week got an early commitment from a junior in Tennessee who ranks in the top 25.

Second round NCAA this year, hard push for the Final Four next and all the way after that, baby! Grin

Anytime you want an update, just ask!

S
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2004, 01:37:45 am »

BASKETBALL STARTED IN ALMONTE ONTARIO

Almonte, ON where I was born and the home of basketball.

http://www.town.mississippi-mills.on.ca/about/naismith.asp

http://www.town.mississippi-mills.on.ca/tourism/places.asp

Hmm. Kind of a stretch, but you Canucks need everything you can get, so go with it! Grin

S
Uh Oh

Email
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2004, 02:58:32 am »

BAM - Bruce Almighty will be just fine. He's instituting a whole new offense, trying to win over some stars that are still mourning the loss of Coach Self-ish and working through some off-court stuff with a couple others.

He's already landed a monster power-forward that Izzo coveted and last week got an early commitment from a junior in Tennessee who ranks in the top 25.

Second round NCAA this year, hard push for the Final Four next and all the way after that, baby! Grin

S

I hate to admit it, but I think that Bruce is an excellent X's and O's coach.  Us Creighton fans got our fill of him the last few years when he was at Southern Ill.  It was quite the mid major rivalry.

I just wish he'd quit whining so much!!! Smiley
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2004, 03:43:12 am »

S

I hate to admit it, but I think that Bruce is an excellent X's and O's coach.  Us Creighton fans got our fill of him the last few years when he was at Southern Ill.  It was quite the mid major rivalry.

I just wish he'd quit whining so much!!! Smiley

Ah, hence, the Bluejay moniker? Was that you?

How'd you end up a Creighton fan?

S
H

Email
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2004, 05:20:20 am »

It is easy to understand why the cat has eclipsed the dog as modern America's favorite pet. Peole like pets to possess the same qualities they do. Cats are irresponisible and recognize no authority, yet are completely dependent on others for their material needs. Cats cannot be made to do anything useful. Cats are mean for the fun of it. In fact, cats possess so many of the same qualities as some people that it is often hard to tell the people and the cats apart.--P.J. O'Rourke
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2004, 06:41:20 am »

H---

You know, I don't really believe it's true that cats are America's favorite pet. I think what makes it appear that way in shear numbers is that a lot of cat owners have 3 or 4 cats, while the average dog owner has only one. Then add in the old woman at the end of the block with 35 cats and the averages really get thrown off.

I would agree with you concerning cats though. They seem to lack the faithfulness a dog has. Dogs really appear to have emotional feelings, which cats seem to be void of. Dogs will be genuinely "happy" or "sad" according to the way you speak to them--if they sense disapproval they truly appear to be sorry. A cat will just run at the sound of an angry voice, whereas a dog will take it to heart, put their tail between their legs and look ashamed for what they have done to anger you. They truly are man's best friend.

Of course, this is coming from a dog lover.

--Joe
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: