AssemblyBoard
May 17, 2024, 02:04:38 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: One Year Ago, Today  (Read 36759 times)
editor
« on: January 06, 2004, 08:44:40 am »

Hello everyone

One year ago, today, things were starting to get pretty interesting.  This is what I posted on the web then.  I read it for the first time in about a year, just a few minutes ago, and I think it still has relevance today.

http://geftakysassembly.com/Outsidersperspective.html

Where were you, and what was going through your mind during the spiritual tornado that hit us a year ago?

Brent
d3z

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 10:24:14 am »

I explicitly remember reading about Dan Notti stepping down.  I was at work, closed my office door, and wept.  I'm not exactly sure why.  I think this is when it finally hit me that it was over.  This is probably when it became inevitable that I would leave, but there was still a strong emotional tie to the assemblies.

I had just come back from a very weird seminar.  Looking back, it was obvious that GG was trying his best at damage control.  There were only five lectures, and I have no idea what they were about.

For the next few weeks, my response internally was to watch and see what the local LB's were doing.

The point that really "hit" me was when a Fullerton worker called a San Diego worker and said: "Read the website, it's all true."  That's when all of the pieces of me that still wanted to please leadership were taken away.
editor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 09:23:21 pm »

One year ago today:

I was "officially" outside of God's Kingdom, and many of the people on this forum wouldn't dream of talking to me, let alone treating me as a friend.  While the story hasn't changed, a year ago I was a vicious liar and an agent of the enemy.  A year ago today, I was approached by the SLO leadership in an attempt to make peace.   The rest is recent history, although in some ways it seems longer than a year ago!

Who would have imagined, 18 months ago, that all of this would have taken place?  In the same amount of time it takes to remodel a kitchen and two bathrooms, many of us had the whole universe "remodeled!"

Yes, God does indeed do above all that we could ask or think.

It sure would be nice to hear from some of the current Assembly leaders about how they view the last year.  I'm sure they promoted George's books at the last seminar, in 2002; do you suppose it was the ideas in the books that became wrong all of a sudden, or that the ideas are still right, but the man became wrong, or what?

We read King Solomon's writings, even though he had some really bad problems, why not read George's?  

Hint:  Solomon started off in a good way and strayed.  (some say he repented at the end, some not)

Are the things in George's books "precious," or did everyone agree they were hot air, without coming out and saying it?   The previous question is directed at the groups still meeting.  Why do you continue with the pattern you learned from George, but refuse the books that teach it?  Good doctrine is not negated by bad character, so why be afraid of George's books?  Why was it "edifying" to go through "Testimony to Jesus" 18 months ago, but now the remaining books occupy a landfill?  

Anyways, you get the general point I am trying to make.  A clear statement of what we believe in the new universe isn't a bad thing.  We had this in the Assembly, after all,  remember "The Sufficiency of The Scriptures?"  It explained why we were "scriptural."  

What happened?  George was not sufficient, but none of us were following him, were we?  Are the scriptures no longer sufficient?

In the coming week, I am going to issue a personal statement of what I have learned in the last year, where I stand, and most importantly, things I have done wrong that I wished I could undo.  Yes, I am going to publicly repent of some things.  

I'm not asking to current crop of leaders, or the ex-leaders who remain silent to do something I am not doing myself.  In fact, I'll go first, whether they choose to follow or not.

Brent
BeckyW

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 10:47:03 pm »

One year ago today, we were mulling over the news that Geo. himself was "under discipline" by the Fullerton leaders for "failure to deal with his son, David."  A closed door Sunday afternoon meeting on Jan. 12th, 2003, had been called by the leaders to tell that to the assembly here.  The 'spin' that day had to do with beware failure in parenting where loyalty to your children could result in compromising "the Testimony".  Examples were given, including the Irons family.  We were to pray for Geo. to repent, write a letter of apology, submit to the leaders in Fullerton in this matter.  I asked just how long ago did these problems with David that resulted in his no longer being a worker take place?  3 years, they said.  We didn't know enough (yet) to really ask much more.  

Margaret, it is a crying shame that these leaders, everyone of them who knew you all and the events surrounding your departure, have not called or written to apologize.  Embarrassed The only reason I can think of for this is that they have yet to even consider your side of the story.

BW
summer007

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 12:38:16 am »

OK one year ago today I knew nothing of any of this ..Gods timing is amazing...and I'm grateful ...I cant help but think the reason for no Apologys has to do with admitting fault not so much where Pride is concerned but I think some have been counseled this way...some may have desired to come forward...part of the "Devastation " may lie in a fearful paranoia of a Law suit and the bottomline...not that anyone is planning on suing to my knowledge..but theres something more here ...underlying as to why they can't admit their Wrong...and I hope MM is'nt falling for TG's advice...I continue to pray for MM and No I dont particuarly want to see anyone eat dirt..I used that phrase as thats exactly what I was told...and I just wondered where it was taking place...Theres  much more here then meets the eye if I rememeber the operatioal methods employed  when I was in....I htink their worried anything they say may be used against them in  a court of Law..which is ridiculous....and you see the tighthold the fear has on them would'nt it be better to just make Peace with those they have offended..better now  then later...
editor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 02:26:03 am »

OK one year ago today I knew nothing of any of this ..Gods timing is amazing...and I'm grateful ...I cant help but think the reason for no Apologys has to do with admitting fault not so much where Pride is concerned but I think some have been counseled this way...some may have desired to come forward...part of the "Devastation " may lie in a fearful paranoia of a Law suit and the bottomline...not that anyone is planning on suing to my knowledge..but theres something more here ...underlying as to why they can't admit their Wrong...and I hope MM is'nt falling for TG's advice...I continue to pray for MM and No I dont particuarly want to see anyone eat dirt..I used that phrase as thats exactly what I was told...and I just wondered where it was taking place...Theres  much more here then meets the eye if I rememeber the operatioal methods employed  when I was in....I htink their worried anything they say may be used against them in  a court of Law..which is ridiculous....and you see the tighthold the fear has on them would'nt it be better to just make Peace with those they have offended..better now  then later...

Well, you bring up a good point here, Summer.

I guarantee that many of the leaders are worried about lawsuits.  Up here in SLO, the LB's sent Judy a letter of apology.  I helped them write it, and signed it myself, along with them.  The reason I did this, is because one of them was extremely worried about what a public admission of guilt in this matter might do to him, should a lawsuit be brought to bear.   I believe my net worth was higher than the other brothers, so in order to show them that we were doing the right thing by apologizing, I signed my name along with theirs.  By doing so, I was admitting my guilt, right along with them.

Afterall, in a sense I was just as guilty, perhaps more so than they were.  As a liscensed DC, I am under obligation to report crimes of this nature.  Judy may or may not have been under my professional care at the time---new laws prohibit me from stating one way or the other---and Rachel was my employee.  Rachel reported to work with a black eye, given to her by her father.  I fired Rachel a short time later to get rid of the evil one, and guard the Testimony.  So I am guilty.  Quite guilty.  Rachel was the first person to whom I apologized upon leaving the One True Church.

To make a long story short, the LB's in SLO all signed this letter, and in so doing behaved in an honorable way.  Judy hasn't sued anyone, even though she works in a law firm.  

I don't know what would be worse--actually I do know, but for the sake of the here-and-now I'll put it like that---to not do the right thing before God and a wronged brother, in order to avoid penalty of law,  but incur the displeasure of God;  or to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, and leave oneself open to a lawsuit, while being in a position of a clear conscience before God?

I chose the latter, as did a few LB's.
I know that Mark, Tim, and the rest would feel better if they did likewise.  He who hides his sin shall not prosper.....

Brent
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 02:53:04 am »

Brent,

A few years ago, I was tipped off to the Rick Ross site (2000 or 2001 – not sure). I hadn’t thought much about the Assembly before that, but I checked it out. I also stumbled on a bulletin board and had a short correspondence with a guy who wanted some details about the Assembly because he was thinking about starting a website to post the info.

Was that you? It may have been John Malone Sr. I do know the timeframe was not too long after Judy left SLO to live with her sister because I exchanged emails with her (obtained her address from someone in the Midwest she remained close to).

I had forgotten about that. Just curious if it was you or not.

Scott
editor
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 03:17:26 am »

Brent,

A few years ago, I was tipped off to the Rick Ross site (2000 or 2001 – not sure). I hadn’t thought much about the Assembly before that, but I checked it out. I also stumbled on a bulletin board and had a short correspondence with a guy who wanted some details about the Assembly because he was thinking about starting a website to post the info.

Was that you? It may have been John Malone Sr. I do know the timeframe was not too long after Judy left SLO to live with her sister because I exchanged emails with her (obtained her address from someone in the Midwest she remained close to).

I had forgotten about that. Just curious if it was you or not.

Scott

No,

It wasn't me.  It could have been Dave Mauldin.  He was talking about that a few years ago.

Brent
Rachel

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 04:11:14 am »

Thinking about a year ago today is a little weird for me.  When I first put up my story on the website, I really didn't expect anyone to believe me, let alone care.  My main goal was that the truth would be told and possibly someone who was just getting involved might be forewarned and have a second thought.  

With the news of George being under discipline, the impossible seemed to be happening.  I was very skeptical and wondered if it was real or just PR.  I was just starting to hear from people I had known as a child and reconnecting with them.  Some of those people I still hear from occasionally and a few I am good friends with.  I was also meeting some new people who had been involved with the assembly but I had never really known.  I kept hearing the same stories over and over.  It really was a relief to me because it reinforced in my head that I had not been the problem.  It was not my fault that my father and grandfather and the leadership had behaved like they did.  

I am glad for much of what has happened in the last year.  
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 08:57:23 am »

A year ago!  We had just left the assembly within the last three months.  Everything was new!  Freedom!  My husband used to shout that over and over...........FREEDOM.....FREEDOM..........FREEDOM!!!!!

If any of you know my husband........so unlike him.  We have changed so considerably.  He has come out of his shell.  His former friends in the assembly, I doubt would recognize him.  My children........able to be............children............normal children........only those who were AK's can understand the liberty that brings.

The next week brought such hope...........the excommunication letter was being read......I thought our shunning was over..........there would be renewed friendships...........Our decision as a family would have been vindicated!  The truth was allowed to be talked about openly, in public.  

And then.........the ensuing month............people still shunning us as a family.  The leading brothers in the San Fernando Valley refusing to acknowledge or answer the charges and discipline that was being brought against GG. And finally, the dissolving of that fellowship without the restitution of some of my dearest friends of 15+ years.  Those who had been closest to me still considering that we were being "divisive, slanderers, gossiping, etc."  

How do you answer these charges in this environment.........with this backdrop?HuhHuhHuh

We have moved to a different city.  Attempting to start over, with a new life, a new set of christian values...........not attempting to "control", simply to "be".  

I would do it again.  And again.  And again.  But at what price?  It was a considerable price!  Only those who have lived through this hell know what the price is.  And there are many of us.  And that is why we are here.  Talking, dialoguing, discussing what has transpired.  Not to gossip.  Not to remain bitter and in the same place, but to grow, to move on.  Some of us need this in order to continue on.....reflect on what we have been involved with for more than a decade (and for some, even longer.)

There is an ebb and flow just like the tides.  It is an ebb and flow of life.  To many, they don't understand. To those of you who do, thank you!
vernecarty
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 03:22:31 pm »

A year ago!  We had just left the assembly within the last three months.  Everything was new!  Freedom!  My husband used to shout that over and over...........FREEDOM.....FREEDOM..........FREEDOM!!!!!

If any of you know my husband........so unlike him.  We have changed so considerably.  He has come out of his shell.  His former friends in the assembly, I doubt would recognize him.  My children........able to be............children............normal children........only those who were AK's can understand the liberty that brings.

The next week brought such hope...........the excommunication letter was being read......I thought our shunning was over..........there would be renewed friendships...........Our decision as a family would have been vindicated!  The truth was allowed to be talked about openly, in public.  

And then.........the ensuing month............people still shunning us as a family.  The leading brothers in the San Fernando Valley refusing to acknowledge or answer the charges and discipline that was being brought against GG. And finally, the dissolving of that fellowship without the restitution of some of my dearest friends of 15+ years.  Those who had been closest to me still considering that we were being "divisive, slanderers, gossiping, etc."  

How do you answer these charges in this environment.........with this backdrop?HuhHuhHuh

We have moved to a different city.  Attempting to start over, with a new life, a new set of christian values...........not attempting to "control", simply to "be".  

I would do it again.  And again.  And again.  But at what price?  It was a considerable price!  Only those who have lived through this hell know what the price is.  And there are many of us.  And that is why we are here.  Talking, dialoguing, discussing what has transpired.  Not to gossip.  Not to remain bitter and in the same place, but to grow, to move on.  Some of us need this in order to continue on.....reflect on what we have been involved with for more than a decade (and for some, even longer.)

There is an ebb and flow just like the tides.  It is an ebb and flow of life.  To many, they don't understand. To those of you who do, thank you!

Kimberley I deeply sympathise. You will find that there is a reason the Bible tell us that so far as it is possible, we should be at peace with all men. Sometimes it is not. Walking away from a place where you have invested much in terms of  dear friendships and service can be most painful. Sometimes the call of God demands it...
Verne
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 06:48:40 pm »

One year ago today I registered on the board. I had been reading through it for a week or so prior.

The biggest thing for me has been the journey of discovery. I had rarely considered the Assembly since 1985. Over the past year it has become painfully obvious how growing up as an AK has profoundly shaped my life, whether I acknowledged it or not.

Wonder what's next on the agenda?

Scott

PS - Ten years ago today I was blessed by the arrival of Austin James. He doesn't know what the Assembly is and once told his friend that I spend a lot of time on some website called Yobsey! (YaBBSE).

editor
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 08:02:08 pm »

A year ago today (Tuesday, 1/14/03) we heard at the prayer meeting about GG's discipline and the dissolution of his ministry.  Wow!  What a thought!  The leaders publicly stated that George needed to repent.  We had been cut loose from Fullerton.  I knew then that 2003 was going to be a VERY different kind of year.  I knew that the Lord was going to do amazing things.  I was excited and optomistic.  The Lord was leading us on a path on which we had never tread.  I still had not read the website yet, so I still saw the assembly in SLO as a genuine, though flawed, gathering of God's people.  

The leaders asked us to pray about an upcomming meeting between them, the Tr0ckmans and a local pastor that was to take place on Sat 1/18/03.  I was  so scared for the leaders who were about to go into what we perceived to be a lion's den.

I had no idea just how different 2003 was about to become for me.

Jack

Ah, yes the anticipation of the big meeting.

Interestingly, I had no fear or anxiety about that meeting at all.  Somehow, I just knew it was going to work out fine.  The one part that did surprise me was that George's conduct was exposed without my help.

At the very time we were repenting and reconciling, George's excommunication letter was being drafted.  God's timing is incredible.

I think there were like 74 new members on the BB the day that letter was read.

Brent
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 08:02:56 pm »

One year ago, I saw people who had leave the assmebly prior to "THE FALL" truly become free.

For most of us who had left before "THE FALL" it was vindication, but even though most will say they were glad they left before the house of cards fell, they still had some ties that bound them and preventing them from felling 100% free.

Because of one year ago, I can know say I see these people as having grown even more this past year, getting more involoved with their churches (errrr place of fellowship).  

I/we are very Blessed that God is faithful and judgement begins in HIS HOUSE.  

’Tis the grandest theme through the ages rung;
’Tis the grandest theme for a mortal tongue;
’Tis the grandest theme that the world e’er sung,
“Our God is able to deliver thee.

Lord Bless, and continue to pray for those that are still in shock and have yet to recover from their "lives" being turned upside down in one moment in time.

Cheers,
G
d3z

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 09:51:43 pm »

By this time, I was "secretly" reading the BB.  I wasn't brave enough to register until Feb.  I think in the next few days or so one of the workers actually asked me to print out some of the articles from the BB.

My attitude at this point, last year still contained much "heavenly vision".

I heard about the meeting in SLO, but didn't have very high hopes for it.  I had pretty much decided that whatever the asby in San Diego did, I couldn't be involved with Fullerton any more.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: