AssemblyBoard
May 17, 2024, 02:54:46 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Does the Bible teach unconditional forgiveness?  (Read 30123 times)
vernecarty
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2003, 04:13:22 pm »

Let me spell it out even more plainly for all to see Chuck.

BE KIND TO ONE ANOTHER, TENDERHEARTED AND FORGIVING ONE ANOTHER.....
Ephesians 4:22

Fill in what is missing from that verse and be instructed...
I am done...
Verne

Ephesians 4:32 - Amen, Verne! .... A terrific verse to end on. Let's all fill in what's missing and be instructed.  

I accept that you're now done on this subject - that is prudent...Again, my prayer is that you will not let God be done with you with respect to grace and humility in your posts.  

What was missing?  Grace and humility.

In Him to you, Chuck

::c:v::

I appreciate you prayers and entreaty Chuck. As you can clearly see, I am a work in progress. I do love you dearly my friend.
Verne
BenJapheth
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2003, 04:20:51 pm »

I would have thought that the volume of posts on this BB would not leave anyone in doubt about the reasons I say what I say the way I say it.

Not only doubt...but incredulousness and dismay.

Have we all forotten how we came to this place? How is it that debate about the horror of what George Geftakys perpetrated on all of us has now become an occasion for us to turn on each other? I am truly dismayed at how quick those of yoy who talk so blithely about "unconditional forgiveness" are so quick to impugn the motives of others. This is a sad day.

When someone acts like George and accuses someone of being "brain-dead" one shouldn't weep and moan when he is called to account.  It was in love, Verne.  Be careful not to throw a pity party. You apologized to Kevin, now don't take it back by insinuating that those that prompted such an action were "turning on" you.

Love you bro, and I'm encouraged by your maturity in doing this.  If your apology didn't have so many qualifications, I would even say it was a small step in the direction of "grace" and "humility."  I know you're trying - Praise God!

Loving you with Him, Chuck

vernecarty
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2003, 05:31:04 pm »

O.K Chuck. Let me try once more. Kevin I sincerely apologise.  Smiley
Verne
vernecarty
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2003, 07:17:52 pm »

In an effort to be specific in my apology to Kevin I went back and carefully read my posts. The apology stands as the issue is not whether I intended to offend him or not.
Could somebody please indicate where I actually said, as I was accused of saying, that anyone was brain dead?
While it is true that I do my best to do violence to a man's perceived fallacious arguments, with one or two well-noted exceptions, I never touch the man himself. This is what makes for a great debate!
Why do I bring this up? Think about it....
Verne
p.s.
If George had actually called any of us who followed him for years "brain-dead" we would have to agree with him don't you think?  Grin
All in good humor of course...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 07:30:46 pm by vernecarty » Logged
editor
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2003, 08:22:12 pm »

I have studied this thread with interest, amusement and just a little bit of sadness.  Really very little sadness, but just a touch.

Here is how it is boiling down.

There are two conditions for "unconditional" forgiveness:

1.) An offense must be committed
2.) An offense must be ignored--no exceptions

I see, with regard to God and man, that #1 exists.  However, #2 in no way is true.  The offense wasn't ignored, it was paid in full.  Jesus was the recipient of God's wrath, on our behalf.  That is a serious condition.  Furthermore, only those who believe will be forgiven. (we could say only the Elect here) Jesus' unconditional forgiveness has a condition.  To state otherwise means everyone is saved, which is a rather difficult position to defend.

With regard to man and man, #1 is true.

However, #2 is not true.  We cannot ignore it when people offend us.  In fact, we are to rebuke them, entreat them, etc.  If they do not repent, we are to treat them, not as brethren, but as heathens and tax collectors.  (This is not done lightly, and perhaps never occurs in most Christians lives,  decent people cool off and apologize.)

We should stand ready to forgive.  In that sense, the person is "already" forgiven, in the potential sense.  However, forgiveness cannot be manifest in its full purpose, that is reconcilliation, until there is integrity in both parties.  Forgiveness, honesty, humility, repentance and restoration.

Do we need help?  I reckon we do.

Here is my entreaty:  Please stick to the Bible on this topic.  Use verses, passages, examples, etc.  Please don't attack one another, and don't take an attack on the argument to be a personal attack.  It just won't work.

Brent is stupid=personal attack
Brent's argument is wrong=proper discussion.

Brent
« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 08:25:30 pm by Brent A. Trockman » Logged
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2003, 01:12:23 am »

However, #2 is not true.  We cannot ignore it when people offend us.  In fact, we are to rebuke them, entreat them, etc.  If they do not repent, we are to treat them, not as brethren, but as heathens and tax collectors.  (This is not done lightly, and perhaps never occurs in most Christians lives,  decent people cool off and apologize.)
The fact that we are fallible means that another possibility is that in some cases we might be wrong to be offended at something, so it doesn't necessarily follow that offence must lead to rebuke etc.

Matthew 7:12
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Romans 13:10
Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
editor
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2003, 01:15:48 am »

The fact that we are fallible means that another possibility is that in some cases we might be wrong to be offended at something, so it doesn't necessarily follow that offence must lead to rebuke etc.

Matthew 7:12
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Romans 13:10
Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Yep.  I should have said there are AT LEAST two conditions for unconditional forgiveness!

I think it would be unforgivable for me to say any more here.   Wink

Brent
BenJapheth
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2003, 04:24:05 am »

We should stand ready to forgive.  In that sense, the person is "already" forgiven, in the potential sense.  However, forgiveness cannot be manifest in its full purpose, that is reconcilliation, until there is integrity in both parties.  Forgiveness, honesty, humility, repentance and restoration.

I agree with everything, you've stated, Brent; however their is a spin or a nuance I'd like to season-to-taste.  Since love "believes all things" instead of standing ready to forgive - actually do it.  When you do it, you will find a bit of redemption for yourself and for the circumstances that surround the offense, and you'll automatically be positioning the relationship of the party who has offended you or sinned against you to repent.  Why?  Cause rarely, if ever, is standing ready to forgive as winsome as having actually forgiven.  We're taught to be fishers of men - Our unconditional forgiveness bates the hook.

An example - When Verne humbled himself this morning and apologized (virtually asking for forgiveness) it was a huge incentive for me to reach out and get reconciled to him.  We've been exchanging private messages...I think we're on our way.

Unconditional forgiveness is a uniquely Chrisitan facility.

Reconciliation and forgiveness should go together. However, that is an ideal that will not be realized 100% of the time until the Kingdom comes where Thy will will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Reconciliation presumes forgiveness.  However, forgiveness does not necessarily presume reconciliation - It should, but until our King comes the lion will not lie down with the lamb - and forgiveness with its mate reconciliation will often be postponed until judgment.

Finally, if folks come out at different places on this - I'm fine with that, aren't you?  Personally I think we see things differently because God in His infinite wisdom wants it that way and is allowing us to live by faith with Him and by grace with each other.  We all see in a mirror dimly and what we can make out is often quite different.  I accept you all - yet, not for the purpose of passing judgment on your opinions.  I accept you all cause I need you.  I need the church.

Question to the readers - Is it possible that you are missing something here?  If your answer is "Nope, not me! Not on this deal"...I say "Whoa friend you're in serious trouble"...If not on this topic then maybe with your Christian walk.  

Hey, I do know this - I could be wrong! And, often am wrong...very often, probably more often than not.

And, let me be a bit outrageous - I know I'm wrong, but here's the rub - I don't know whereexactly?  And as I seek first the Kingdom of God I'm actually finding out where the Kingdom is not resident in me. Except for who Jesus is and what He did on the cross and His rising from the dead - everything for me is subject to the church for inspection, my believing friends, and I'm even open to many of my unbelieving neighbors for review (God uses them, too!).  

The track record has shown that for 26 years as a believer God has regularly razed almost all my beliefs and completely revised how I look at my world, how I look at the church, how I look at people, and how I fit into all of it - And, yes how he forgives sin, and why? and how this relates to repentence and how it relates to reconciliation and why? and blah, blah, blah...

And, like you Brent I'm following this discussion with interest.  With me, I'm a student and what I don't know far exceeds what I do know.

Lastly, I, like perhaps most people, have a long cycle-time to actually "get it."  If I hear a view and it doesn't make sense - It would not be unusual for it to work its way back into my attention and thinking months or even years later...And, then "pop" I morph into that idea that seemed so absurd months or years earlier.  If you haven't ever experienced this, well, just wait a while I think it happens to just about all of us mess around enough with really trying to "get it."  

The first step to getting it is to admit that you don't got it.

So, every post is an adventure...onward & upward.

Blessings to all of you, my friends...Chuck

« Last Edit: September 10, 2003, 08:57:51 am by :: Chuck Vanasse :: » Logged
kwelsh

Email
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2003, 08:03:04 am »

O.K Chuck. Let me try once more. Kevin I sincerely apologise.  :)
Verne
Your forgiven Verne. I think I understand where your coming from. I don't mean to dumb things down but rather I'm trying to add some simplicity to things. We get really off track with all the intellectual debate about simple christianity. At least christianity should be simple. But anyhow maybe I'll start a new thread about that sometime. We just finished our third week of school down here in the Texas Hill Country and with soccer practice's, open houses, and bible studies, I'm whipped.
God bless,Kevin.
vernecarty
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2003, 02:10:59 am »

Do you really think my hyperbole was intended as an insult to God's people after all that I have written?

I have actually read a lot of your posts and yes, to me, it would appear as an insult.

This is not the first time I have been criticised for my writing style.

That should tell you something.

I am just giving my amen to Grace and Humility.

Funny how people take decades of all kinds of abuse with nary a protest from the likes of Geftakys and then get on a BB and get all sanctimonious about animated debate...I guess because  forgiveness is unconditional is the reason two previous apologies were lost on the perspicacious Mr. Smith...some of you folk are truly tiresome... Roll Eyes
Verne
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 02:15:44 am by vernecarty » Logged
brian

Email
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2003, 04:23:39 am »

Funny how people take decades of all kinds of abuse with nary a protest from the likes of Geftakys and then get on a BB and get all sanctimonious about animated debate...

on one hand, i don't think it is fair or helpful to make a blanket judgement like this in an environment where people are going to be extra-sensitive to it, as you well know, verne.

on the other hand, i also don't think its reasonable to go onto a public bb and be so sensitive that you want to see an apology for every acerbic statement people may respond to your posts with.

i would rather see people posting what they really think, and maybe getting a bit excited about it, than hiding what they really think (or refusing to really think) for fear of offending someone. just keep it reasonably civil, no cursing at each other, etc. focus on debating the issue rather than taking everything personally, or attacking the person. cool?

brian
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2003, 04:41:37 am »

[quote by brian tucker]  i would rather see people posting what they really think, and maybe getting a bit excited about it, than hiding what they really think (or refusing to really think) for fear of offending someone.   just keep it reasonably civil, no cursing at each other, etc. focus on debating the issue rather than taking everything personally, or attacking the person.  cool?

brian

Brian,

i'd say a whopping "AMEN!" but my approval
might cast a shadow upon your post. Wink

al

vernecarty
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2003, 03:51:05 pm »

Funny how people take decades of all kinds of abuse with nary a protest from the likes of Geftakys and then get on a BB and get all sanctimonious about animated debate...

on one hand, i don't think it is fair or helpful to make a blanket judgement like this in an environment where people are going to be extra-sensitive to it, as you well know, verne.

on the other hand, i also don't think its reasonable to go onto a public bb and be so sensitive that you want to see an apology for every acerbic statement people may respond to your posts with.

i would rather see people posting what they really think, and maybe getting a bit excited about it, than hiding what they really think (or refusing to really think) for fear of offending someone. just keep it reasonably civil, no cursing at each other, etc. focus on debating the issue rather than taking everything personally, or attacking the person. cool?

brian

Fair enough. I don't want to appear unentreatable but it is unspeakably tedious to have holier-than-though Geftakys sycopphants constantly carping about "style"  "attittude", "grace" and "humility" and not paying a rat's petootie worth to what is being said. Fat lot of good such passivity did you all those years in Geftakys' clutches. Why on earth do people come to a BB if not to engage in debate and lively exchange. The self-preoccupation can be stifling- Let us discuss issues for crying out loud!! Sorry, just my
honest opinion.
Verne

GREAT MINDS DISCUSS IDEAS  Grin  Grin  Grin

MEDIOCRE MINDS DISCUSS THINGS     Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

Small minds discuss people[/i]  Huh   Huh   Huh
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003, 12:08:12 am by vernecarty » Logged
editor
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2003, 08:05:36 pm »

The main thing here is to be nice.  If there were more niceness, than we would all feel better most of the time.

I think niceness is a first step.

I don't want anyone to disagree with me, because then I wouldn't feel nice, and might not want to post again.  Sometimes when I say what I think, and people disagree, I get offended and leave...and that just isn't right.  They owe me an apology.

On the other hand, if I don't agree with them, I still need to be nice.  I need to make room for everyone, regardless of their viewpoints.  None of us has a right to strongly state what we believe to be true.  How arrogant!  The "right opinion," is the one that is nicest.   Everyone knows that.  I have the right, the absolute right, to never have to listen to anyone who disagrees with me.  I have the right to have thin skin, and to take offense at someone who is not being nice.  Words and ideas have no meaning.  

The purpose here is not to discuss controversial or meaningful topics...there is enough of that already.  Our purpose here is to provide a safe environment, where no one disagrees.

Some people are afraid to post, because people like Verne and myself are not nice enough.  Other people are afraid to post because they are afraid that others won't think what they have to say is nice.  These things ought not to be!

Study to show yourself a workman, approved by God, nicely dividing the Word of Truth------Brent Tr0ckman translation

All of us need to apologize to eachother for saying things in the wrong spirit....I'll accept each of you as correct, regardless of what you believe.... Tongue Tongue  Rebuke them, that they may be nice in the faith!  That's the spirit that Paul was trying to convey to Timothy.  May we never question one another about ideas, conclusions or words!  Let's save our rebukes for the way we percieve a person's attitude to be when they write.  Lack of niceness---rebuke them!  

Here is the principle thing to guide us:If someone has strong convictions, and their convictions lead them to strongly state something contrary to what seems nice, they are wrong.  Strong convictions, beliefs....understanding; all of this leads to trouble.  Contend in a nice manner, not as if you understand what you are talking about.  The beauty of this, is that if you are wrong about something you believe, you need never admit it!  By not clearly stating, or standing up for what you believe, your ambiguity leaves you in a position of niceness.  No one is made to feel bad, and no one gets hurt!  Everyone wins, and gets a trophy!  Wouldn't you all rather be winners?

Brent---I'm gonna be only nice from now on.  

PS: I wish I had never said the mean things I said about George, David and the rest.  If I had been nicer, they probably would have repented, and many of you could have still been attending a much nicer Assembly meeting!  Convictions and conscience often lead us into positions where niceness becomes difficult.

If your convictions cause you to think un-nice thoughts, It's time to re-examine your beliefs.  They are wrong.
jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2003, 09:10:32 pm »

Very nice, Brent.

Jack
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: