AssemblyBoard
May 17, 2024, 05:15:20 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Does the Bible teach unconditional forgiveness?  (Read 30125 times)
vernecarty
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2003, 11:16:53 pm »

Since we're right with God - So far as it depends on us, we can be right with all mankind.

Amen!  Praise Him!

Is this is an acknowledgement that forgiveness  is a two person process? What is meant by so far as it depends on us...? hmmmnn...?
There are many verses in the Bible that are difficlut to be understood. The use of the conditional conjuction if is not such an example. Absent the condtition, so the promised result. Computer hacks will recognize the power of the if-then argument. What is there really about this that is so obscure? Proclaiming blanket and universal forgiveness absent true repentance may make us feel all warm and fuzzy inside but I fear it has no basis in the teaching of Scripture.  If I am indeed missing something, would someone pray tell...?
Verne

« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 12:57:06 am by vernecarty » Logged
BenJapheth
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2003, 01:45:05 am »

If I am indeed missing something, would someone pray tell...?
Verne

Vern, are you missing something?

::c:v::

« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 01:47:31 am by :: Chuck Vanasse :: » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2003, 02:44:37 am »

Verne

Not quite sure...am I??!  Smiley
BenJapheth
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2003, 03:57:58 am »

Verne

Not quite sure...am I??!  Smiley

Yes, I think so.  

vernecarty
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2003, 05:03:11 am »

O.K. Anybody  out there is in need of a little forgiveness?

Bring your repentance and step right up; I'll show you an unlimited supply...!

No repentance available? Please see Chuck...
(I am afraid you will have to see the Lord later...)   Grin
Verne

« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 05:18:03 am by vernecarty » Logged
BenJapheth
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2003, 06:06:30 am »

O.K. Anybody  out there is in need of a little forgiveness?

Bring your repentance and step right up; I'll show you an unlimited supply...!

No repentance available? Please see Chuck...
(I am afraid you will have to see the Lord later...)   Grin
Verne

I'll practice what I preach, Verne, I forgive you for distortion.  

No repentence necessary for that forgiveness - cause the Lord says forgive those who distort against you...

However, you might consider repentence and humility so we can carry on concerning other subjects in a reconciled manner and so that you can maintain a clear conscience before the Lord.

In Christ's love and forgiveness - I encourage you to find, in my opinion, your "missing thing" humility and grace.  

I find your most recent comments hurtful.

In His Love, Chuck

P.S. I think our conversations on this subject have reached a termination point.  I'm done.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 06:15:26 am by :: Chuck Vanasse :: » Logged
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2003, 07:23:53 am »

I haven't quite figured out why, but for some reason this argument about forgiveness reminds me of the old philosophical question: "If a tree falls in the forest, and no one hears it, does it make a sound?"
BenJapheth
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2003, 08:03:23 am »

I haven't quite figured out why, but for some reason this argument about forgiveness reminds me of the old philosophical question: "If a tree falls in the forest, and no one hears it, does it make a sound?"

The answer is "Yes" it makes a sound.
kwelsh

Email
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2003, 08:27:05 am »

Well I'd like to try and weigh in on this topic of forgiveness if I may.
If we need to confess or repent in order to be forgiven;then what about those who Christ forgave when he was being crucified. Did his forgiving them imply that they were exempt from hell? No. The issue seems to be faith. Yes, he forgives unconditionally(prior to salvation, repentance, or reconciliation) but in order to receive salvation and reconciliation a person must believe in what has already taken place, the purchase of our forgiveness.
And how about Stephen forgiving those who were murdering him via stoning. Is this anything less than a proper attitude from someone who understands(not an "intellectual" type of understanding) from his heart a measure of his own debt.
You know when I was in the Assembly I could quote at least two scriptures for every opposing view someone might hold to those I held of the bibles teaching(I also knew more big words). But I just can't get interested in that kind of debate anymore so please forgive me if I don't do justice to defending what I believe to be correct doctrine although I think I understand in my heart the importance of correct doctrine better than ever. It's not for intellectual stimulation that were taught to study the bible or so that we can out debate someone else but rather that we can be in right relationship with God and help(not overpower) others to have an equal relationship with Him.
In simplicity,Kevin.

BenJapheth
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2003, 08:40:55 am »

If we need to confess or repent in order to be forgiven;then what about those who Christ forgave when he was being crucified. Did his forgiving them imply that they were exempt from hell? No. The issue seems to be faith. Yes, he forgives unconditionally(prior to salvation, repentance, or reconciliation) but in order to receive salvation and reconciliation a person must believe in what has already taken place, the purchase of our forgiveness.
And how about Stephen forgiving those who were murdering him via stoning. Is this anything less than a proper attitude from someone who understands(not an "intellectual" type of understanding) from his heart a measure of his own debt.

Kevin, this is excellent - Yes!

vernecarty
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2003, 09:27:59 am »

If we need to confess or repent in order to be forgiven;then what about those who Christ forgave when he was being crucified.

Why on earth don't we read our Bibles carefully???
Christ asked The Father to forgive them!!!
( same idea with Stephen...read it...)

Yes, he forgives unconditionally(prior to salvation, repentance, or reconciliation) but in order to receive salvation and reconciliation a person must believe in what has already taken place, the purchase of our forgiveness.
Kevin did you read what you wrote here? You have essentially stated that people that Christ forgave unconditionally are yet without salvation and in danger of hell-fire. In other words, your vaunted "unconditional forgiveness" in and of itself is ultimately meaningless, as clearly attested to by your strange caveat "But in order...". I repeat, by your own argument "unconditional forgiveness" in and of itself is meaningless! What in the world has happened to reason among God's people?

Let us consider the way Kevin prefaces his argument.
The statement "if we need to confess or repent in order to be forgiven..." is incomprehensible.
Why is a propositional interrogative being raised about what the Bible clearly says, and says repeatedly? Do the examples Kevin gives in any way logically contradict the Biblical teaching of 1 John 1:9? Why don't we just for a moment use our brains instead of our hearts?
There were many with heart conviction who followed and enabled George Geftakys for three decades. Unless we can agree that the Word of God is the ultimate standard for all we hold true and believe, we will forever be prey to convincing counterfeits.
If anyone has an alternate understanding of 1 John 1:9 I would certainly like to hear it. Unless language is meaningless, to deny what the verse clearly says and construct "heart reasons" for a doctrinal position is sheer folly.
One of the reasons for the confusion, and I purposely waited until now to mention it is that the advocates of unconditional forgiveness have been ignoring a fundamental Biblical premise. Those of you so confident in your position answer me this simple question.
Who has the power to forgive sin? Do any of you?

The answer to this is obvious even to the brain- dead.

Tell me therefore, when you "forgive" someone, what exactly are you "forgiving"?
Please, no more "heart reasons". Read your Bibles and use the brain God gave you...

Verne
p.s.
Lest anyone misunderstand me, clearly the attitude of heart that Kevin and Chuck are espousing is Biblically correct. To attach however the word unconditional to forgiveness betrays a woeful misunderstanding of what the word truly means. What we are seeing is the kind of circumlocution and confusion that results when we fail to simply read the Word of God and believe what it says. No wonder George Geftakys was able to make merchandise of so many. What a pity that we stilll do not understand what Chirst acutally did for us, and what it cost...!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 10:17:39 pm by vernecarty » Logged
BenJapheth
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2003, 03:42:22 pm »

The answer to this is obvious even to the brain-dead...Read your Bibles and use the brain God gave you...

You know Verne, this is where you lose your reader and your audience.  Regardless, of what you're trying to say; these kind of statements totally undermine your credibilitiy.  

Even if you're right - you're wrong.  

This is pure Geftakyism.  You know, when I'm trying to sort something out on what is right and what is wrong and then someone let's one of these zingers out, whatever they are arguing for, I find myself jumping  away from that person or jumping to the other side.  If you're right, you have just pushed someone farther from the truth.

Ask yourself - Is the point to win someone to a closer relationship with Christ or is it to hurt them and win an argument.

Insinuations of other believers being "brain-dead" is borderline blasphemy...If you call a brother fool you will be guilty of hell-fire.

Brother I'm praying for you.  I think you have a terrific mind.  As noted earlier, I am done engaging you on forgiveness, however, I am truly concerned for your life and heart.  

I am engaging you on your soul.

The answer to this is obvious even to the brain-dead.

In my wildest imaginations I cannot imagine Jesus saying this to another human.  I do see Him rebuking prideful attitudes of one-upmanship - Such attitudes are hateful and their demonic.

As I noted in my previous post -

"What's missing" Verne? - Grace is missing.

"What's missing" Verne? - Humility is missing.

I find it terribly troubling when someone of such intelligence so clearly misses the two qualities so intrinsically basic to being a believer - yes even a young believer.

Verne, in the gentle Spirit of Jesus I rebuke you and encourage to seek to be reconciled with Kevin.  I don't know this brother, but I see tremendous offense in your words.

I got up this morning and before I visited the BB and saw your post I had this email in my box...

You two are right on the mark about forgiveness, grace, faith, reconciliation...What you've said should be clear to anyone with an open heart and/or mind.

I  love Verne, but he loves to debate, his theology is very cerebral, and he hates to lose.  My  concern is for the little ones who read but don't post.  They don't need to be exposed to battles of one-upmanship.  Verne is a master at pushing one's buttons, getting under one's skin, etc.  He has brought out the worst in some other posters and defends his right to do so (which right  I  don't deny he has as a poster, but it is unnecessary conduct for a saint and potentially dangerous - to him - as well as to others).

My purpose is to alert you to what could lie ahead, and to entreat you to take a detour.  Christ can be exalted and the truth told without having to tangle with this man.    

I was tempted to quote Romans 10:9-10, replacing "heart" with "brain" and attribute it to the "VerneCarty Translation."  But that's because his seemingly intellectual pride pushes my buttons and I want to set him in his place.  The thing is, I've tangled with him before - he means no harm.  To him, the debate is fun (as long as he thinks he's winning), as he has stated.  He doesn't seem to be inquiring so much as strutting his knowledge.

Chuck and Kevin, you have both pushed his buttons by not succumbing to the "superiority" of his arguments.  He's getting a little testy and starting to try to bait you.  Experience has taught me to love him, pray for him and ignore him in such cases

This is not about Verne - I really do love him.  This is about cautioning you for the sake of the innocent readers who could be hurt. I am grateful for your posts.  They encourage me, and I have no doubt they do others too.  

Verne, in the gentle Spirit of Jesus I rebuke you and encourage to seek to be reconciled with Kevin.  I don't know this brother, but I see tremendous offense in your words.

Humitly and grace - better than winning the battle online with strangers - is winning the the war privately within your own heart.  

In Christ's Love for you,

Chuck

« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 03:49:08 pm by :: Chuck Vanasse :: » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2003, 03:48:55 pm »

My are we getting thin-skinned! If you cannot stand the heat, get out of the kitchen my friend.
Let me spell it out even more plainly for all to see Chuck.

BE KIND TO ONE ANOTHER, TENDERHEARTED AND FORGIVING ONE ANOTHER.....
Ephesians 4:22

Fill in what is missing from that verse and see the folly of your position...
I too am done...
Verne
p.s.
This is not the first time I have been criticised for my writing style. Do you really think my hyperbole was intended as an insult to God's people after all that I have written? For you to even suggest it ought to tell you something about your own heart. You dissapoint me with this blatantly ad hominem attack Chuck. I only wish someone had spoken to me this way all the years I listened to Geftakys...
Read carefully:
As-God-FOR-CHRIST'S-SAKE-has-forgiven-you. Beautiful is it not?
DO NOT FORGET THE "AS"!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 10:13:46 pm by vernecarty » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2003, 04:06:09 pm »

Kevin if what I said offended you I sincerely apologise. I would have thought that the volume of posts on this BB would not leave anyone in doubt about the reasons I say what I say the way I say it. Have we all forotten how we came to this place? How is it that debate about the horror of what George Geftakys perpetrated on all of us has now become an occasion for us to turn on each other? I am truly dismayed at how quick those of yoy who talk so blithely about "unconditional forgiveness" are so quick to impugn the motives of others. This is a sad day.
 As for hating to loose, I would do anything in my power to prevent a repeat of the kind of spiritual loss we have witnessed at the hands of Geooge Geftakys et al baccause so few choose to speak the truth.
Verne
« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 04:11:36 pm by vernecarty » Logged
BenJapheth
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2003, 04:09:17 pm »

Let me spell it out even more plainly for all to see Chuck.

BE KIND TO ONE ANOTHER, TENDERHEARTED AND FORGIVING ONE ANOTHER.....
Ephesians 4:22

Fill in what is missing from that verse and be instructed...
I am done...
Verne

Ephesians 4:32 - Amen, Verne! .... A terrific verse to end on. Let's all fill in what's missing and be instructed.  

I accept that you're now done on this subject - that is prudent...Again, my prayer is that you will not let God be done with you with respect to grace and humility in your posts.  

What was missing?  Grace and humility.

In Him to you, Chuck

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: