AssemblyBoard
May 18, 2024, 01:35:48 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27
  Print  
Author Topic: So WHO Is Decieved???  (Read 174534 times)
brian

Email
« Reply #345 on: July 28, 2003, 09:39:45 am »

I wonder whether George's confusing form of expression is intended to be interpreted differently by different people.  Some people would only hear teachings that are pretty close to right, while old-timers would understand something completely different -- legalistic and enslaving.  (Kind of analogous to those trick pictures which are optical illusions in which two different things can be seen depending on how you look at it.)

that is an excellent observation! in psychology, this phenomenon is called 'confirmational bias'. i think george's preaching style is a reflection of the chaotic state of his mind, but what we read into it tells us a lot about ourselves (think ink blot tests). if we believe he is righteous, has (ever)actually set foot in the 'kitchen of heaven', and is the mouthpiece of God then we hear 'heavenly pearls of wisdom' that we don't fully understand but we are sure must be very important - in short, we are 'blessed'. if we know he has been sleeping around with young ladies his entire life, has a severe narcissistic mental disorder, and has been an out-of-control physical and psychological abuser, then we hear only the manipulative ramblings that any reasonable person would expect from the mouth of such an individual.

in short, we tend to overlook what does not line up with our current opinion, and we tend to focus on what agrees with our current opinion - reinforcing that fundamental feeling that we are right that we so crave. beware of this! it can lead you down many blind alleys, and anyone who was in the assembly for any length of time is particularly likely to indulge in it. we need to re-train ourselves to think critically, carefully, and clearly - and what requires the most courage - for ourselves!

brian
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #346 on: July 28, 2003, 10:04:06 am »

Actually, that wasn't exactly what I was getting at, although what you say is also true.

I'm not skilled at verbal expression.  You seem to have missed the word "intended," which was meant to say that perhaps George was intentionally composing double entendres to attract newcomers and enslave old-timers at the same time.  I used the expression "old-timers" to mean those who are still deceived and in the system.
Heide

Email
« Reply #347 on: August 06, 2003, 10:13:54 pm »

The topic here ought to be " So WHO is STILL Deceived?"

I have some questions after reading this column:

1) What determines the most dangerous from the least dangerous Geftakys group?

You folks who think you are the farthest away from California need to reconsider. It isn't California that is evil. It is the MAN, George Geftakys. If he even touched your gathering, it has a scent of evil. This bickering about how we are so far away from what happened in California is pure deception. If YOU are involved with ANY assembly YOU are deceived. I mean to say Canada, Virginia, California, Nebraska, or anywhere else.

The assembly=deception. Your shepherds=deception. You are only fooling yourselves and you are mocking God. You aren't following anything that is true. The assembly=LIE.

For the Wes Cohen's out there who say "God has not told me to leave..."  Your first consideration ought to be "I am unworthy to lead sheep anywhere. I have lied to my sheep and therefore I am a liar and just as confused as the sheep."  

Heide
Uh Oh

Email
« Reply #348 on: August 06, 2003, 10:38:15 pm »

The topic here ought to be " So WHO is STILL Deceived?"

I have some questions after reading this column:

1) What determines the most dangerous from the least dangerous Geftakys group?

You folks who think you are the farthest away from California need to reconsider. It isn't California that is evil. It is the MAN, George Geftakys. If he even touched your gathering, it has a scent of evil. This bickering about how we are so far away from what happened in California is pure deception. If YOU are involved with ANY assembly YOU are deceived. I mean to say Canada, Virginia, California, Nebraska, or anywhere else.

The assembly=deception. Your shepherds=deception. You are only fooling yourselves and you are mocking God. You aren't following anything that is true. The assembly=LIE.

For the Wes Cohen's out there who say "God has not told me to leave..."  Your first consideration ought to be "I am unworthy to lead sheep anywhere. I have lied to my sheep and therefore I am a liar and just as confused as the sheep."  

Heide

Even worse are guys like Tim Geftakys...He specifically knew of all this evil first hand and now is back in a position of leadership.  He has conveniently "repented" and is now creeping his way back into a position of authority.  What a loser.

Tim - at the ripe age of 50 something - get a life!
Heide

Email
« Reply #349 on: August 07, 2003, 07:46:50 pm »

The really scary thing is that Fullerton asked him to come back in. Think about it! He didn't muscle his way in, he was asked.....

Heide
Uh Oh

Email
« Reply #350 on: August 07, 2003, 10:22:20 pm »

The really scary thing is that Fullerton asked him to come back in. Think about it! He didn't muscle his way in, he was asked.....

Heide

If it is true in fact that the people in the Fullerton assembly asked Tim Geftakys to come back, then the reality of the situation is that they are just as hopeless and worthless as he is. Moving forward, peoples efforts and energys should not be spent trying to draw current members out.  Rather, efforts and much energy should be spent allerting potential recruits of the heinousness of this horrific group.  

The assembly was, is, and always will be just a complete and total scam  It is now being kept alive by men with trememdous egos who would simply not be content to just an ordinary person in another church.  They are men who  are satisfying their hunger for power by playing "Big Dog" in this system.  My guess is none of these so called leaders are capable of anything beyond an entry level job...And that may even be a stretch.

This group must be 100% decimated so no others are pyschologially/ physically hurt or taking advantage of down the road.
vernecarty
« Reply #351 on: August 08, 2003, 12:13:40 am »

I wonder whether George's confusing form of expression is intended to be interpreted differently by different people.  Some people would only hear teachings that are pretty close to right, while old-timers would understand something completely different -- legalistic and enslaving.  (Kind of analogous to those trick pictures which are optical illusions in which two different things can be seen depending on how you look at it.)

that is an excellent observation! in psychology, this phenomenon is called 'confirmational bias'. i think george's preaching style is a reflection of the chaotic state of his mind, but what we read into it tells us a lot about ourselves (think ink blot tests). if we believe he is righteous, has (ever)actually set foot in the 'kitchen of heaven', and is the mouthpiece of God then we hear 'heavenly pearls of wisdom' that we don't fully understand but we are sure must be very important - in short, we are 'blessed'. if we know he has been sleeping around with young ladies his entire life, has a severe narcissistic mental disorder, and has been an out-of-control physical and psychological abuser, then we hear only the manipulative ramblings that any reasonable person would expect from the mouth of such an individual.

in short, we tend to overlook what does not line up with our current opinion, and we tend to focus on what agrees with our current opinion - reinforcing that fundamental feeling that we are right that we so crave. beware of this! it can lead you down many blind alleys, and anyone who was in the assembly for any length of time is particularly likely to indulge in it. we need to re-train ourselves to think critically, carefully, and clearly - and what requires the most courage - for ourselves!

brian

I worry about the implication in your observations that objective truth regarding George Geftakys and his assemblies is elusive, "confirmational bias" notwithstanding. The facts regarding the history, conduct and spiritual denouement of all that the man George Geftakys touched (even prior to the assemblies) are not in anyway obscure...I prefer to invoke the old adage:

"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain"

Verne,
I am wondering if it is correct to say that deception takes place "with our willing permission."?  After all, isn't the very nature of deception such that one doesn't know they are being deceived?  Believe me, George et al had an answer for every doubt, fear, or question.  It was only fairly recently that my nagging doubts, fears, and questions could not be assuaged by the answers I received.
PM    

Pat I think your question is one of the most important that I personally have wrestled with in this entire matter - i.e. our own degree of culpability for what transpired. We Christians have the distinct advantage that God's word has clearly instructed us about how and why deception occurs so while it is true a person in that state may not know it, every Christian should understand how to avoid that sad condition. James comment on this is remarkable insightful!(James 1:22), As I wrote on the other BB "Dealing With Deception" thread, the peculiar nature of deception requires a rejection of revealed truth generally and in the life of a child of God, a rejection of revealed truth specifically. The resulting impotence and paralysis is no less debilitating in the believer than it is in the un-regenerate, the process by which one arrives to such a condition is my focus...
It took me a while to stop arguing with the Lord about how much of what happened was George's fault...If we do not understand how and why we fall prey to deception, we run the risk of becoming repeat victims and will fail in our attempts to deliver others...Look again closely at the series of events that transpired in the first and greatest deception in Eden...I honestly don't know what to think of those remaining in that situation knowing what they know...I have my suspicions...

Believe me, George et al had an answer for every doubt, fear, or question.  It was only fairly recently that my nagging doubts, fears, and questions could not be assuaged by the answers I received.
PM    
Pat here is the six billion dollar question, what did the one Who died for you say in response to George's supposed satisfactory responses to your nagging doubts? Did you ask Him? Sadly, in many instances I also did not... Cry Cry
Next time we talk I will tell you what happened when I finally asked...

Dear James! Smiley
   I have been absent for the week from the BB, and in reading back a few posts I came across your statement that suggested that the Assembly was not a cult.  I believe you made the point that the teaching of the Assembly was orthodox, but the practices were cultic.  I would like to answer that suggestion.
  CRI (Christian Research Institute) makes the same kind of distinction that you do between "teaching" and "practice".  CRI also separates erroneous teaching into two categories: heretical and aberrant.  While the above classifications may be useful on a scholarly basis they are not Biblical distinctions.
  The NT talks of "fruit" (behavior/practice) as one of the tests in discovering whether a teacher is false or true.  Some have said, "well, all are sinners and therefore all ministries are disqualified if we judge their fruit."  We see in Peter an example of what God wants us to understand in that respect.  Peter sinned, but repented; false teachers sin and refuse to repent (GG).  So, it is not sinful behavior per se, but a leader's reaction to being called to repent of same.  Humility is the hallmark of Godly leadership vs. pride, the sin of the Devil.
   Can you imagine Jesus telling GG, "Well done!  you held to some aberrant teaching, but you were pretty much orthodox in other areas, and as a side note you abused my little one's, but that is a separate category!" Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  I don't think Jesus will see things that way.
  I don't know how much of GG's teaching you are aware of.  There is some that he has not made public for years, and in an attempt to diffuse criticism he has tried to present true orthodoxy, that contradicts heretical teachings he holds, but he claims both can exist together. (this, among others, is a very subtle subterfuge that GG used.)
  Of these the most dangerous is his false holiness teaching. CRI may find this teaching "aberrant", but Paul declares it as Galatianism and "cursed".  Paul goes on to make the point that it is destructive to the individual's Christian life, the Christian testimony, and a most serious departure from the Gospel!  Paul calls it a "pseudo gospel".
                                     God Bless,  Mark

Thanks Mark. There is still a lot of confusion about the nature of George's so-called ministry. How remarkable that with the myriad clues God's Word provides to us, so many are still unwiliing or unable to recognize a false prophet. You are quite right - inability to repent is the most salient and distinguishing feature of the vessel destined for wrath...there is no Scriptural example of an approved servant of God who refused to acknowldge and repent when confronted with sin...the reason is that no such species exists...there are however several outstanding examples of those who refused to repent...
Verne

« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 05:01:55 am by vernecarty » Logged
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #352 on: September 01, 2003, 09:57:00 am »

This group must be 100% decimated so no others are pyschologially/ physically hurt or taking advantage of down the road.
"100% decimated" is a contradiction of terms.

decimate
1. To take the tenth part of.
2. To select by lot and punish with death every tenth man of.
3. To destroy a large part of.
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #353 on: September 01, 2003, 12:12:25 pm »

Luke,

If I take the the tenth part of something is it 100% decimated?

If I destroy a large part of something is it 100% decimated?

If I select by lot and kill every 10th man was the squad 100% decimated?

There was no "contradiction" of terms. Possibly a misuse of a term, but possibly not.

Maybe Uh Oh is familiar with the old Roman form of military discipline. They would select one of every 10 men from a squad. The other nine men in the squad would beat the selected man to death with clubs. If they did not comply they were all put to death.

So maybe Uh Oh really did mean that the remaining Assembly members should be decimated. And maybe Uh Oh would like to see that carried out 100%. Maybe not.

Maybe you should pull out your little dictionary and look up the definition of "contradict."

Scott "Not Scrambling For A Dictionary" McCumber
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 07:04:21 pm by Scott McCumber » Logged
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #354 on: September 01, 2003, 01:29:12 pm »

Since Uh Oh said that he wants no others to be hurt, his usage of the expression "100% decimated" must be interpreted as if he meant that 100% of the people would leave the assembly rather than only 10%.  Hypothetically such a thing could be arranged by decimating repeatedly until no one is left.  Maybe that is what he really meant.
M2
« Reply #355 on: September 02, 2003, 06:09:08 pm »

I listened to a message from Charles Price (www.livingtruth.ca) about knowing the will of God. He said that if one is not in the general will of God then one will not know the personal will of God. E.g. GG was not in the general will of God when the assemblies began because he was immoral and had not repented. Therefore, God would not have led him to begin 'his ministry' via the assembly system.

Even now some are saying that what they are involved in is a 'new work'. Who gave them the 'authority' to begin a new work? Why would God tell a bunch of 'deceived' individuals to start a new work?

Marcia
editor
« Reply #356 on: September 02, 2003, 08:21:24 pm »

I listened to a message from Charles Price (www.livingtruth.ca) about knowing the will of God. He said that if one is not in the general will of God then one will not know the personal will of God. E.g. GG was not in the general will of God when the assemblies began because he was immoral and had not repented. Therefore, God would not have led him to begin 'his ministry' via the assembly system.

Even now some are saying that what they are involved in is a 'new work'. Who gave them the 'authority' to begin a new work? Why would God tell a bunch of 'deceived' individuals to start a new work?

Marcia

Hi Marcia

The reason they must be involved in a "work," is because they are addicts.   A heroin addict must have two things:  the drug and a means to administer it.

Geftakys addicts must have the drug,  the validation of their lives and personalities as defined by the group, and a means of administering the drug,  a meeting.

The leaders, especially suffer from this.  Their whole lives are not defined by Jesus Christ and Him crucified, but by the New Testament Pattern, and the fact that they are "leading brothers."  George's approval, and to a large extent Mike Zach's approval, validated who they were and what they were doing.  Without this, they are adrift, and must face uncomfortable, yet obvious truth about what they were REALLY doing all those years.  (Again, if what I am saying is not true, than why can't they admit who George is, AND who they are for following him? How come they are NOT "clear in the matter?")

If they can keep the meeting going, declare it a "new work," and maintain their identities as leaders, then they don't get the shakes.   Heroin addicts do just fine, as long as they have a regular supply of the drug,  and as long as they don't get a bad batch, or use an infected needle.  Sadly, except for a few rockstars, most addicts end up stealing, lying and destroying their families in order to get a fix.

Imagine how you would feel if you were addicted to the ministry, and someone came along with a flashlight and illuminated the filthy conditions of your shooting gallery!  Where a sane and sober person recognizes that real life, without the addiction is far healthier, the addict can't go on living without the very drug that is killing him and his family.

Brent
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 08:22:39 pm by Brent A. Trockman » Logged
Uh Oh

Email
« Reply #357 on: September 02, 2003, 09:12:12 pm »

"100% decimated" is a contradiction of terms.

decimate
1. To take the tenth part of.
2. To select by lot and punish with death every tenth man of.
3. To destroy a large part of.

I posted that on the 7th of August.  You replied on the 1st of September.  I see it took you about three and a half weeks to come up with such a "quick witted " response.

I'll clarify, even though every logical person knows what I meant...

How about "abolished" or "destroyed" instead of decimated...It is imperative that we declare war on this group, so that they cannot harm the lives of others who have absolutely no idea what they are getting themselves into.
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #358 on: September 03, 2003, 08:48:47 am »

Another problem with decimation is what to do if the number of people isn't a multiple of ten.  Since Jesus said that one person is of more value than many sparrows, the fractional person could be exchanged for sparrows.  There is precedence for sparrows being in God's house in Psalm 84:3, but since we're talking about the assembly, it's probably better to just say that the assembly is for the birds.
M2
« Reply #359 on: September 03, 2003, 05:41:13 pm »

The leaders, especially suffer from this.  Their whole lives are not defined by Jesus Christ and Him crucified, but by the New Testament Pattern, and the fact that they are "leading brothers."  George's approval, and to a large extent Mike Zach's approval, validated who they were and what they were doing.  Without this, they are adrift, and must face uncomfortable, yet obvious truth about what they were REALLY doing all those years.  (Again, if what I am saying is not true, than why can't they admit who George is, AND who they are for following him? How come they are NOT "clear in the matter?")

If they can keep the meeting going, declare it a "new work," and maintain their identities as leaders, then they don't get the shakes.   Heroin addicts do just fine, as long as they have a regular supply of the drug,  and as long as they don't get a bad batch, or use an infected needle.  Sadly, except for a few rockstars, most addicts end up stealing, lying and destroying their families in order to get a fix.

Imagine how you would feel if you were addicted to the ministry, and someone came along with a flashlight and illuminated the filthy conditions of your shooting gallery!  Where a sane and sober person recognizes that real life, without the addiction is far healthier, the addict can't go on living without the very drug that is killing him and his family.
Does proximity have anything to do with the degree of influence by Geftakysism? GG only visited us once a year; TG only visited us once a year; and we had other itinerant visitors 2 or 3 other times in the year.

My thought is that GG probably did not need to visit us more than once a year because he was confident that 'his will was being done'. It only takes/took one faithful Geftakysservant in each locality for GG's system to be enforced. Also the worker's met twice a month and reviewed the worker's notes from Fullerton.

Any comments?

Marcia
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27
  Print  

Jump to: